shape
carat
color
clarity

Inperfection...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tinv

Rough_Rock
Does imperfections on a SI2 stones affect its sparkles, fires and light return? I would like to know if you can tell a difference between a G,VS2 and G,SI2 if cut, color and everything else being equal.

For example: http://www.goodoldgold.com/Diamonds2005/1756/clarity1.jpg

Do you think the above stone is eye clean?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the only way to know is to call GOG and ask. However, that inclusion is in about the worst possible place and is large.

tinv

Rough_Rock
It''s for earings. I don''t think anyone can see it. However, I would like to know if that crystal affect the light return of the stone? Will it be any less sparkle then a similarly cut stone but better clarity?

Thank you.

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
Here is a link to our recent post about the eyeclean SI2 we just purchased:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thrilled-pics-of-our-new-ags-000-from-quest-jewelers.39355/=

The picture looks *similiar* to yours, but I am no expert, so hopefully someone else will chime in :) Is your inclusion a crystal?

We have been very pleased with this stone so far! The feather is near the base of the culet, and in our opinion does not interfere in any way with the light return, brilliance, or anything else. We really are overjoyed with our stone, especially with the price paid ($4650).

An eyeclean SI2 can be an exceptional value if it *truly* is eyeclean. Have your vendor pull the stone and verify if it is eyeclean (ours did!).

Hope that helps a little! Best regards
35.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
You'll be fine for an earring IMO. But of course the best person to ask this question to would be GOG. Email or call them
2.gif
They are friendly, and I promise, they don't bite
3.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
It is a stone by stone call.

The inclusions appears to be just under the table surface in the photo...
Ask them to take a photo of the stone from the side so you can see where it is located ( the depth of the inclusion(s).

If they are separately dispersed through the stone, they might be less noticeable to the naked eye.

But if they are all at the top just under the surface, they may be visible. As far as distorting the light return, the stone would have to be seen to determine this fairly and accurately.

If the stone is eye-clean, then it would look similar in appearance possibly, if the inclusions are visible then maybe not.

Rockdoc

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
eye clean is eyeclean
The only way to tell is to look at or have someone look at the diamond.
There may be a slight reduction in light return but if the inclusion itself isnt visible it is likely not a noticable amount.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
It could still be eye clean, as the magnification on the photo is huge.

I wouldn't pay for higher clarity in earrings. (just my opinion)

Blod
35.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2006 9:19:59 PM
Author:tinv

I would like to know if you can tell a difference between a G,VS2 and G,SI2 if cut, color and everything else being equal.

If no inclusion jump at you from the SI2... no...

Those darkfield pictures are meant to show inclusions as well as possible, but there is no ''normal'' lighting that comes near that.

Whether that SI2 is ''eye clean'' - no idea. My guess would be "not quite" but what the situation is becomes clear with the stone in hand only. Someone at GoodOldGold could clarify that - after all, I don''t think they want to have diamonds returned any more than you do.

My 2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question: where is this diamond listed ?

If the diamond is not that large (say, below half a carat) - I'd worry less, even if the inclusion is a bit visible... But then, visible inclusions are not often liked at all, and in smaller size H would be a safer bet than SI2 if something gotta give.

My 2c

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results