shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited diamonds and diamond jewelry

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Hey all,

I inherited a decent amount of jewelry and I’m honestly not too sure what to do with it. So far I did the only thing I could think of and tried calling local places to assess it. The two loose stones I planned to take to GIA. There are diamonds, emeralds, pearls, more diamonds.

Below are the two loose diamonds and an eternity ring. I assume these are the most valuable but they’re old so I have 0 info about them. The larger one looks like it could almost be a faint yellow diamond, or maybe it’s just an undesirable color. Any thoughts on what I could do with these and the rest? Strip things for parts and make something new? Sell it as is? Back in the safe until someone else inherits it?
9DC8DBCA-DEE1-4D3D-92C4-F54232D20EBB.jpeg 92C10B08-928F-498F-A6F9-75453E7A8C30.jpeg

07BF82D9-163D-4D67-B973-B56426E20A0E.jpeg

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! Unfortunately GIA will only handle the two loose stones. So I guess the rest will just have to be someone’s best estimate. No one Ive Tried contacting has responded, maybe because I just seem like I found some costume jewelry and will waste their time. I guess I’ll keep trying.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Unfortunately GIA will only handle the two loose stones. So I guess the rest will just have to be someone’s best estimate. No one Ive Tried contacting has responded, maybe because I just seem like I found some costume jewelry and will waste their time. I guess I’ll keep trying.

The eternity band you can take to an appraiser looks like 3 Carage round Brillant eternity

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning.
The loose diamonds definately deserve a GIA report, essential if you wish to sell them. If you have scale at home, preferable one that is at least to the 1/10th of gram, you can weigh them and estimate carats weight. 1 carat of diamond weighs .20 of a gram or 1/5 of a gram. So if it weighs .60 of a gram, it’s 3 carats.
The eternity band is magnificent. Don’t take it to a pawnbrokers or similar, they will rip you off!
What you need is either an auction house that deals in jewellery or a bricks and mortar jeweller who does jeweller appraisals. An auction house can give you an estimate price guide and through a jeweller it might cost you $100 for an appraisal. Again definately worth getting.
once you know what you have you can sell if you wish for a fair price.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one Ive Tried contacting has responded, maybe because I just seem like I found some costume jewelry and will waste their time. I guess I’ll keep trying.

You can look for the best appraiser in your metro area. I found mine because a now-defunct famous local jeweler used them -- I saw the reports in their store. It will be ~ $100 per item. It's best to use an appraisal-only gemologist. Any crummy jeweler will give you an appraisal but is unlikely to be actionable unless it is incredibly detailed.

I got some funny looks the first time I went to this one -- behind a locking gate in a tiny office in an anonymous-looking building that (evidently) was our small city's "diamond district." They don't know if you just pulled that ring off somebody's finger on the corner so they tend to be pretty cautious -- like your "just found a bag of diamonds" experience. But if you know a little, are interested in what they say, and come back, it's a very different story. I haven't generated much business for our appraiser but I always use this person to backstop any online purchases within the return window. And they are always thrilled to see me and (discreetly) show me the cool stuff that others have brought by (!).

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous gorgeous items! What Bron says is perfect. Best of luck to you!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could send your emerald/colored gemstone jewelry to AGL Gem Lab in New York City -- they will do gemstone reports on mounted jewelry -- highly reputable, really the finest US lab for colored gemstones -- https://www.aglgemlab.com/pricelist

You can contact them via email (or phone) with any queries - https://www.aglgemlab.com/contact

Forgot to say, you can also send mounted colored gemstone jewelry to GIA for reports - https://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/colored-stone -- if you are sending the diamonds there, I'd also send the emerald jewelry there -- certainly GIA's colored gemstone services are also highly reputable.

FWIW I've sent colored gemstones to both labs and been very satisfied.

Once you know the quality/treatment of the gemstone, it is generally more straightforward to find comparables and/or come up with estimated value.

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh I am so jealous. Those look like big nice sized diamonds! Keep us updated on the specs please !

Wow! I would probably only get the rest of the jewelry valued with certs if you want to sell it. If you plan to wear or repurpose it, I wouldn’t spend money on getting it evaluated (or at best an appraisal and not GIA/AGL certs). The reason is that all those certs are going to add up to a pretty penny, and if you’re going to keep them, what’s the point? An appraisal will be good enough for insurance purposes. The only thing(s) I see worth certifying even if you’re going to keep them are the two loose diamonds, or maybe just the emerald cut.

I would actually see if you can find an appraiser who works by the hour and get them to first help you make sense of what all you have inherited. Give you a general sense of value, help you identify the most valuable pieces amongst the lot, separate out the stuff that is not very valuable and therefore doesn’t need a formal appraisal or certificate.

Then I would go through the collection and separate out whatever you want to keep (either in current form or to repurpose). Those things will only need an appraisal if they are of significant (insurable) value. Out of the things you want to sell (if any), I would approach a qualified appraiser for a formal written appraisal or a GIA/AGL cert, depending on the value of the piece.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for the great replies! I found an appraiser in midtown that works for about $165 an hour. I'm going to take the whole lot there and have him sort through what is worth certificates/insuring/etc. and what is worth selling/melting. I'm male so none of it is for me. My sister doesn't like it either but I may have something made for her that's more her style if there are useable stones from all the rings and earrings.

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
$66k!!! That's more than I paid for my car. I dunno if I'd trust myself with so much. I guess it's something to consider but I'm not sure if I'm a jewelry type of guy. I've got an Oura ring on now and can't stand it. I'd take it off but I'm part of some kind of study. Thanks for the suggestion!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
$66k!!! That's more than I paid for my car.

That's more than almost everyone paid for their car. That would easily cover our four cars scattered around the country :lol-2:. If you own the stone, you can make the ring for a few thousand in platinum.

Also: that example is an absurd mark-up for people who are unwilling or unable to do the legwork. (For matching colored stones in a large suite -- like your dream Muzo-all-the-way-around necklace -- you will need to pay the big markup since you can't pick them up as one-offs on eBay.)

I hope I did not suggest that you buy that ring. There is no need to use an ice-white perfect-color, perfect-clarity stone -- yours would be great in YG. And I am not implying that your diamond is worth that or a tenth of that or...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other advice would be to keep something.
Maybe later there will be a Mrs or a Mr for you and maybe some little ones.
It’s really nice to have something from family to hand down. I know plenty of people who were sad that Mum / Dad kept nothing as they would have loved the connection an inherited piece holds.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

airplay355

Shiny_Rock
It seems it's like a Fitbit watch.

Is that contraception?

:mrgreen2:

Works just as well if you wear it on the wrong finger and try to talk to women. Guaranteed to eliminate all interest

I'll consider keeping something but there's so much. I'd be fine with a smaller diamond, one of the emeralds, something like that. One we are definitely keeping is an OEC diamond with some sapphires on the side in a platinum setting. They're very dark but that ring does have sentimental value.

I don't think we have a fortune here, we'd just rather it go towards something more useful than jewelry that sits in a safe.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

These treasure chest threads are always SO interesting!:read: :appl::appl: Let us know how it goes! (and share any pictures......we's luv's pic's!

cheers--Sharon

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think we have a fortune here, we'd just rather it go towards something more useful than jewelry that sits in a safe.

I think that is wise. Jewelry is meant to be worn not to sit in a box or safe. If you don't think you will find a use for it as is, or remade, I'd keep a few pieces, as you say you will do, and sell the rest. Or perhaps put some pieces aside and let some other family members each choose a piece of something they might want, assuming it is for sentimental purposes and not monetary gain.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, it’s a hoard. Such lovely items. But yeah if neither you nor your sister cares for them then selling makes sense. But only if you don’t think you will buy something similar in the future cos it will cost so much more if you want to buy in the future vs what you will get from selling them.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great pieces. You should invest in an ultrasonic (You can get one on Amazon for $40) and clean them all (except the pearls and emeralds) in it. I just wanted to say, there really aren't that many "undesirable" colors in diamonds. That EC looks warm, but that's not undesirable. Most of the trade equates the price they can get with desirability. That's because they want to sell more expensive diamonds to you for their bottom line. But the price tag doesn't have anything to do with the beauty.

I worked for Wolf-CBI for 5 years. My favorite CBI diamonds are the eyeclean I color SI1/VS2 clarity. Why, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And that's what I liked best having see 100's of them. And since cut is really what brings sparkle and life and beauty to a white diamond... don't focus too much on the color. It looks like a really pretty stone.

Saying that an L or M or Q diamond color is undesirable is like saying that the color Blue or Green is undesirable. And Red and Purple are "better". There is no such thing as better. Yellow is not ugly. Warm is not bad.

As long as your diamond is cut very well, not overblue, has no structural defects that affect durability, and isn't cloudy or hazy . Set it and wear it with pride. And even it has a defect, you can set it into a pendant to keep it safe and wear it that way too! Yes, there are some tints like brown and green that are discounted. But if you like them.... then it's your eye that matters.

Don't equate price tag with beauty and 'desirability.'

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Great pieces. You should invest in an ultrasonic (You can get one on Amazon for $40) and clean them all (except the pearls and emeralds) in it. I just wanted to say, there really aren't that many "undesirable" colors in diamonds. That EC looks warm, but that's not undesirable. Most of the trade equates the price they can get with desirability. That's because they want to sell more expensive diamonds to you for their bottom line. But the price tag doesn't have anything to do with the beauty.

I worked for Wolf-CBI for 5 years. My favorite CBI diamonds are the eyeclean I color SI1/VS2 clarity. Why, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And that's what I liked best having see 100's of them. And since cut is really what brings sparkle and life and beauty to a white diamond... don't focus too much on the color. It looks like a really pretty stone.

Saying that an L or M or Q diamond color is undesirable is like saying that the color Blue or Green is undesirable. And Red and Purple are "better". There is no such thing as better. Yellow is not ugly. Warm is not bad.

As long as your diamond is cut very well, not overblue, has no structural defects that affect durability, and isn't cloudy or hazy . Set it and wear it with pride. And even it has a defect, you can set it into a pendant to keep it safe and wear it that way too! Yes, there are some tints like brown and green that are discounted. But if you like them.... then it's your eye that matters.

Don't equate price tag with beauty and 'desirability.'

What a refreshing post!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results