shape
carat
color
clarity

If your favorite artist/ musician says things that offend you would you still love the art/music?

Would you abandon an artist/musician based on statements they've made that offend you?

• Yes

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Statements, maybe not. Actions, almost positively yes. Like if they are pedophiles or rapists or just crummy humans in general. So no to Roman Polanski, Crosby, Woody Allen.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I am a HUGE fan of the subject of the "excitement". Let's just say I cried for two hours in the car and then another two hours while I made dinner.

It's been an emotional 24 hours.

What happened?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't get putting famous people on a pedestal in the first place.

Same. I was never the star struck type of person though. They are blood and flesh like us. Period.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did Clint Eastwood do?

Dia, let's just say his "philosophies" and mine are NOT aligned. For instance I don't talk to empty chairs.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What happened?

an event so newsworthy it made the news accross the ditch (kind of like the governer of an American state making the news in Canada

hint - corruption allogations and an almost instant resignation

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I grew up mimicking Bill Cosby when I was in high school. I could repeat whole albums worth of his humor with a great sound alike voice.

I was devastated when his true self was revealed and have "forgotten" every routine of his I ever knew.

On the other hand, I watched 60 minutes last night and was amazed at the segment showing Lady Gaga and Tony Bennet, who at 95 is severely affected by Alzheimers. I loved his music when I was young, and still do. (I really hope he doesn't have skeletons I should know about...)

I have never been a big fan of Lady Gaga's music, but I was hugely impacted by her concern and care for Tony prior to their big event recently, and I loved seeing his reaction when she came on stage.

I may never be a big fan of "her" music, but I now have a soft spot in my heart for how she treated and worked with her friend. I heard her voice singing with Tony, and it is lovely, as were her actions during that segment.

I don't follow the news much these days, it is too full of hate for me. I only watch 60 minutes because Resa loves it. Last night I was glad I did.

Wink

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kindness matters. I cannot knowingly admire/follow/enjoy an artist's work if I know he/she to be a not good person, however one might define that.

Words matter.
Actions matter.
Kindness matters.

"Kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change"
"Kind people are the best kind of people"

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some wonderful people produce crap.
Some crappy people produce wonderful things.

How much I like art and music depends on the art and music itself.
Nothing about the artist or musician influences how much I like their art or music.
That said, what a person does or says certainly affects how I feel about the person.

I paint using watercolor, a most difficult medium, so I recognize this skill when I see it.
Hitler demonstrated a decent level of proficiency with watercolor.
He was a bad person who was good at something.

I like the music of Richard Wagner.
He harboured anti-Semitic views.
Another bad person who was good at something.

An interesting BBC article on the subject ...

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
segment showing Lady Gaga and Tony Bennet,

I was also touched by her tenderness, and insights into the scourge of Alzheimer's... and as an artist...wow.
I just saw this the other day- Tony is there- as is Stevie....Playing this song, in front of Stevie Wonder...just wow. She's amaazing

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There's another few minutes I will never get back, I watched your video plus three or four more. They were a great duet!

Thank you for sharing that video.

Wink

(Don't worry folks, Rock and I will get back to our normal bickering on other topics!)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
oof this is a tricky one. there are many artists and thinkers that i deeply admire who have done, said and thought egregious things.

especially historical artists - where some of the most unspeakable offenses in today's world were hardly taken seriously at all (ie crime against women)

heidegger is a great example. he is not an artist, but a thinker...

he's a known anti-semite and definitely flirted with Nazism...but his contributions to the field of philosophy are unquestionable. i will not ignore his works, he was a brilliant man and his works have value beyond what (almost) any contemporary thinker has produced that i can call to mind. but i understand the deep conflict as my family is German Jewish and was destroyed by WWII. shouldn't i recoil from him? i can't

so i compartmentalize. there are limits to perfection. someone may be extremely gifted in one area, and absolutely devoid in another. i believe for geniuses this is actually quite common. i do not expect geniuses to be gods, because i myself am a deeply flawed person. i will instead take what they can give and expect that it has limitations.

i also respect that some people must draw hard lines, and if a crime has legitimately been committed they are not exempt from the law

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Cerulean This reminds me of my mom's neighbor, who was a bit eccentric but brilliant. He was so familiar to me when we moved in to that home, yet I couldn't place him at the time. I finally realized he was the "mean Dean" of my university's Letters, Art, & Sciences school who scolded me for my horrible first year there. I ended-up making the Dean's List my remaining years, but I can still hear his voice scolding me. He was a philosopher and wrote some essay on time that I never understood. I'm not a deep thinker.... :lol-2: He went on a trip to Paris and brought home a lovely Hermes scarf for me. I didn't find him so intimidating after that.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean This reminds me of my mom's neighbor, who was a bit eccentric but brilliant. He was so familiar to me when we moved in to that home, yet I couldn't place him at the time. I finally realized he was the "mean Dean" of my university's Letters, Art, & Sciences school who scolded me for my horrible first year there. I ended-up making the Dean's List my remaining years, but I can still hear his voice scolding me. He was a philosopher and wrote some essay on time that I never understood. I'm not a deep thinker.... :lol-2: He went on a trip to Paris and brought home a lovely Hermes scarf for me. I didn't find him so intimidating after that.

Oh that’s actually a lovely story! And what a lovely gift to soften the edges!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results