shape
carat
color
clarity

If your favorite artist/ musician says things that offend you would you still love the art/music?

Would you abandon an artist/musician based on statements they've made that offend you?

• Yes

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cat Stevens comes to mind......but unfortunately, there are many others .....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love Cat Stevens. I didn't find him offensive on leaving the industry . I don't get upset over immigration policies, or even some comments against women. I probably do react to the love of guns and people who think they can make demands on society, right or left. We have so much talent in this country, I don't have to give my support to those who espouse things I am against.

Annette

I think it depends how egregious the comments. If an artist harms people, or incites violence etc. Then yes, I usually stop consuming their content entirely because it leaves a bad taste in the mouth (though I personally believe people should be given second chances, within reason, if they apologise sincerely and make amends). If an artist makes offensive comments that aren’t directly harming individuals (so something bigoted, which is still terrible, versus something calling for straight up violence, which is worse) I tend to stop purchasing new content, but I might consume copies of their old content that I already own.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I didn't find him offensive on leaving the industry .

The issue wasn't that he left the industry....he became a devout Muslim- and again ( for me) no issue whatsoever.
But then he publically endorsed a "Fatah" ( an effort to have the author killed due to his novel Satantic Verses) against Salmon Rushdie.
The guy wrote Peace Train!
I heard an interview with a reporter who'd interviewed him- he didn't specifically disavow the comments but said they were edited to make him look bad.
And Yusef ( Cat Stevens) cancelled a second scheduled interview when it was made clear the reported had specific questions regarding the statments.
He ( Cat Stevens) is on tour.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about an author like JK Rowling? I have a lot of millennial colleagues who are the first to cancel celebrities for their comments or political persuasions—but when it comes to their favorite author, they subscribe to separating the art from the artist. Conveniently, I might add.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my answer is in degrees. If an artist says something that I think is stupid (for lack of a better word) I'd probably just think they actually were stupid. If they said something political that I didn't agree with, but that wasn't something that was racist, sexist, supported conspiracy theories, etc. I would probably still listen to their music and maybe still buy it as everyone is entitled to their opinions. If they said something political that showed me they stood for something that was against my morals or ethics or principals, I'd definitely not put another penny in their pocket and probably couldn't stomach listening to them anymore any way.

How about an author like JK Rowling? I have a lot of millennial colleagues who are the first to cancel celebrities for their comments or political persuasions—but when it comes to their favorite author, they subscribe to separating the art from the artist. Conveniently, I might add.

I think JK Rowling is a great example of someone who I can’t abide after her statements but, because I adore the HP books, I tend to not want to put another penny in her pocket - so I won’t watch Cursed Child (I wouldn’t anyway, that play was a travesty), won’t buy/read her Robert Galbraith books, won’t watch Fantastic Beasts etc. But I’ll keep the copies of HP I bought before. Tbh I haven’t re-read them since all her transphobia came out though. It’s soured HP for me a bit.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always loved Cat Stevens music. I still listen. I’m not sure what I would vote, it would depend on the person.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
What is it they say? Never meet your heroes.
It is a matter of degree, but yes there are lines.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once I know something I cannot un-know it and at a significant level it affects my enjoyment.
I don't want to support an artist whose views I find repugnant/racist/homophobic/xenophobic/misogynistic etc.

I don't have to agree with all their views. Just don't want to support an individual who is not a decent human being.

I don't actively seek to learn things about the artists/musicians whose work I enjoy but once I find something out that proves to me me they are lacking decent values I cannot un-know it.

I cannot control the actions of others but I am responsible for my behavior and my actions and I speak with my actions not just words.

actions.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madonna. I cannot abide her. Comments she made early in her career are stuck in my mind for all time. I find her repulsive and refuse to listen to her music. I don't care if she's changed or grown up. She was an adult when she made those comments and it's not ok.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madonna. I cannot abide her. Comments she made early in her career are stuck in my mind for all time. I find her repulsive and refuse to listen to her music. I don't care if she's changed or grown up. She was an adult when she made those comments and it's not ok.

She haven't burn down the WH yet. :bigsmile:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Eh, I don't know. If I developed a strong negative feeling about an artist then I probably wouldn't want anything to do with their work any more. I don't have a thought out stance on it though. So I guess I see an artist's work as somewhat separate from them as a person, but not entirely.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. I haven't been able to watch Lethal Weapon since Mel Gibson's drunken rants several years ago. And I am just now beginning to watch Clint Eastwood (there were really only a few of his movies that I liked, anyway) since his stupid empty chair routine a few years ago. Clapton - I was never a huge fan. I like some of Cream, though.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The separation of art and artist doesn't work for me. My brain won't allow it.

I used to ADORE Clint Eastwood. Now, if he showed up at my door with a case of champagne, a giant gorgeous diamond and a puppy I would turn him away.

DiaLuv

Shiny_Rock
What did Clint Eastwood do?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to ADORE Clint Eastwood. Now, if he showed up at my door with a case of champagne, a giant gorgeous diamond and a puppy I would turn him away.

I'd keep the puppy ;-)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Could never quite enjoy Ewan McGregor movies after he did a dodgy on his wife and ran off with the younger co star.

And any Mel Gibson movies because he's a nutjob.

It's probably good that I don't read many interviews with stars or know much about them!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bruce Springsteen is a liberal
i am a conservative
but he's a conservative liberal
'we' have come to this understanding about free speech
plus in the concert experience its 'his house', i am a guest
but the most important thing to me is i know (because he has said so) he understands the point of view of the conservative voting white working class- he has told us his beloved mom voted republican at least once (probably for 45)
But above all else he is a good citizen and son of America and he gives back plenty

i actually make a point of listening and paying attention to what he has to say
he's based his career on measuring the distance between the American dream and the American reality (mostly its relatable to me down here at the bottom of the world living in a western democracy)
i dont listen to his music to get drunk and have a good time, there is so much id be missing if i did that
Art is surposed to make us think and he certainly makes me do that

In fact i would credit him majorly for making me into a kinder more gentle conservative, more sympathetic to the issues of immigrants, both legal and otherwise

a few elections ago now he was part of the vote for change tour (now im quite fond of 43)
i must say i dont think it fare 43 got a highly political FU album and yet 45 did not :lol-2:, but Magic is one of favourite albums, certainly in my top 5

if i got my back up over politics and 'we' had a falling out, who has the most to loose ?
Do you know how hard it is to get a Bruce Springsteen ticket ?
He knows he has right wing fans - Chris Christie is the most well known (that man had a very thick skin) but that's the level of devotion there is in the hard core fan base

Besides i get a kick out of Bruce hanging out with President Obama
They have been doing these radio shows together and now its a book
its pretty cool

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gary ? o_OWhat are you doing on PS ?

while your hear where's my f-ing E ring ? :boohoo:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apart from Bruce Springsteen i fall out with artists, celebrities.& actors, sports people * all the time, but there is usually a valid (to me) reason why

despise Tom Cruise for what he did to darling Nicole, mind you he never did it for me in the first place

* usually If they in anyway disrespect my home town, province or the South island

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds I thought of you and Bruce right away when I saw this so I was tickled to see your response!

thank you Ms Mello
i have been thinking about you watching the news the last few days- lots of 'excitement ' in your neck of the woods

i grew up in a city that was always left of me
i would jave had no freinds if i had let politics spoil things

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Say things? Naw not usually, it would have to be very extreme and directed at someone before I would much care.
Harm animals, kids or hit a woman well they can shove their music or what ever where the sun dont shine they are not getting a penny from me.

I honestly don't get putting famous people on a pedestal in the first place.

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you Ms Mello
i have been thinking about you watching the news the last few days- lots of 'excitement ' in your neck of the woods

i grew up in a city that was always left of me
i would jave had no freinds if i had let politics spoil things

I am a HUGE fan of the subject of the "excitement". Let's just say I cried for two hours in the car and then another two hours while I made dinner.

It's been an emotional 24 hours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results