shape
carat
color
clarity

If you were a BM, which would you rather have?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
I''m facing an issue about what to get my BM as gifts. Ideally I''d like to get them a personalized canvas tote, nice flip flops for the reception, and pay for their jewelry. However, that will be beyond my budget. Which 2 of the 3 things would you like to have if you were a BM? I feel like the canvas tote is something they''d all use (most of them are teachers) after the wedding, however it would be nice to take care of their jewelery and get them flip flops too. The flip flops I''m 100% about getting.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
As one of those "always a bridesmaid..." girls, I feel compelled to respond! I will say one of the nicest gifts to get is the jewelry.. The reason is because it takes the guesswork out of the day.. The weddings I have been in where BMs pick their own jewelry, someone always decides to wear their cute new necklace that stands out just a little too much.. The 2nd best gift was a canvas bag! I know those aren''t the two you ranked first but I love the bags.. One bride got us bags with our initials embroidered and a set of makeup cases.. I have used those things to death, as have the other BMs in the wedding.. For budget reasons though, I would say do the jewelry and the flip flops. Those are things your BMs will use the day of the wedding and it will make things easier (and less painful on the feet!) for them so they can enjoy your whole night! Plus, with the flip flops they don''t have to worry about if you will be offended when they kick off their heels and go for something more comfy!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you requiring that they wear specific jewelry? If so, then I think you should buy it. Requiring a particular dress is a given, but not jewelry.

If not, then I''d get the totes, as I''d rather have that.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
1. jewelry

2. tote

3. flipflops (distant third:)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto the jewellery and the bag - it makes their lives easier, esp. if you plan to have them wear similar/same pieces, and the other is something they can make good use of after the wedding, and remember it by
1.gif

UnderBlue

Shiny_Rock
If you personalize the canvas bags yourself they shouldn''t be too expensive. All you need is some transfer paper, printer and iron.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2010 11:48:12 PM
Author: sparklyheart
As one of those ''always a bridesmaid...'' girls, I feel compelled to respond! I will say one of the nicest gifts to get is the jewelry.. The reason is because it takes the guesswork out of the day.. The weddings I have been in where BMs pick their own jewelry, someone always decides to wear their cute new necklace that stands out just a little too much..
I agree with this. I was in a wedding last summer and the bride said we should wear "silver jewelry." Out of all of us bridesmaids/groomsmaids (I think there were 7 of us total), all but one wore a delicate silver necklace. The one that didn''t wore a big chunky silver and black necklace that I thought just clashed way too much.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
1) Tote

2) Jewelry

3) Flip flops -- but if you do them from Old Navy, they''ll only be $3.50 a pop

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 12:38:59 AM
Author: Bella_mezzo
1. jewelry

2. tote

I agree. I think most people already have their own flipflops or could buy a very cheap pair. The other gifts are more thoughtful.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely get the jewellery. I would go for tote second.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
if the flip-flops are a given (sounds like you''ve decided they are) then i would choose jewelry. while the totes are a thoughtful gift since many are teachers, most teachers already have a plethora of canvas tote bags. just my 2 cents! LOL!

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the replies! While I initially thought the flp flops were a given, I'm beginning to like the idea of just getting cheap flip flops from old navy and getting them the jewlery.

So now I have a new question. I could get them nicer pearl jewlery OR i could get them cheaper pearl jewelery AND the totes. Which would you rather have?

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I''d prefer the jewelery and tote. I''m not a big flip flop wearer to the extent that I''d appreciate being gifted with a pair.

caribqueen

Brilliant_Rock
1. Jewelry
2. Tote

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Treasure I think it is very sweet of you to consider what they would like rather than what you want to give them. You get extra Bride points.

I would have voted jewellery then tote but you have already decided on that.

So about the pearls - is the style something that they would like to wear again or not so much? If the style suits their personal style then I vote for a more expensive option and no tote. If it is not really something you see them wearing again and again then go for both the jewellery and the tote.

BTW I bought lots of pearls from Jamesallen.com and loved them.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Steel in answer to your question, it is the personal style of 1 or 2 of my 4 girls. I suppose I could get them all something slightly different but I''m not sure. I think that''s what attracted me to the totes. You can customize them with their initals and their favorite colors. I suppose with the totes being about 20 bucks, if I could get an ok set of pearl jewelery for $30 each, then I could still be ok with my $50 budget per girl. I''m just not sure about how much ok pearls would cost.

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
Just out of curiousity- you said most of your BM are teachers. If you get them the tote will you personalize them with their first names or Mrs./Miss So-and-so?

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 5:04:44 PM
Author: JerseyGrl81
Just out of curiousity- you said most of your BM are teachers. If you get them the tote will you personalize them with their first names or Mrs./Miss So-and-so?
I''ll personalize them with their initals

JerseyGrl81

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 5:11:06 PM
Author: Treasure43

Date: 1/17/2010 5:04:44 PM
Author: JerseyGrl81
I''ll personalize them with their initals
I think the tote and the less expensive pearls would be a nice idea. They can also use the tote as a beach bag and think of you and your wedding!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
If you think a tote is something your BM will get a lot of use out of, go for it - but as an educator myself, I tend to use a lot of canvas totes or get freebie bags from conferences to schlep my stuff. I actually prefer these items because when I''m hauling papers and materials, the bags get pretty beat up. Plus, canvas totes are pretty common now because of the green shopping movement - so most people have one - not a nicer monogrammed one for sure (btw, are all the BMs married? Will initials change?), but probably have something that''s doing the trick just fine.

I''m a MOH in June, and the bride had mentioned doing totes as gifts. I wasn''t really enthused. But then she decided to buy us our dresses
30.gif
. I know not every bride can afford that (I certainly couldn''t when I got married), but I can''t tell you how much I appreciate the gesture of taking the burden off of us BMs as much as possible rather than a trinket that goes in my coat closet.

I''d suggest nicer pearl jewelry and nicer flip flops (if that''s what your crowd wears often). For a wedding I was in this past summer, the bride asked us to bring a gold tone chain, and she gave us a charm to slip on, so jewelry was relatively inexpensive, and then got us J.Crew flops and a Coach wristlet. Best BM gift ever - it was a great combo of things for the wedding, things that could be worn again, and something girly and fun. I carry the wristlet all the time (and carried it during her wedding weekend), and I wore those flip flops all summer.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 5:46:07 PM
Author: Elmorton
If you think a tote is something your BM will get a lot of use out of, go for it - but as an educator myself, I tend to use a lot of canvas totes or get freebie bags from conferences to schlep my stuff. I actually prefer these items because when I'm hauling papers and materials, the bags get pretty beat up. Plus, canvas totes are pretty common now because of the green shopping movement - so most people have one - not a nicer monogrammed one for sure (btw, are all the BMs married? Will initials change?), but probably have something that's doing the trick just fine.

I'm a MOH in June, and the bride had mentioned doing totes as gifts. I wasn't really enthused. But then she decided to buy us our dresses
30.gif
. I know not every bride can afford that (I certainly couldn't when I got married), but I can't tell you how much I appreciate the gesture of taking the burden off of us BMs as much as possible rather than a trinket that goes in my coat closet.

I'd suggest nicer pearl jewelry and nicer flip flops (if that's what your crowd wears often). For a wedding I was in this past summer, the bride asked us to bring a gold tone chain, and she gave us a charm to slip on, so jewelry was relatively inexpensive, and then got us J.Crew flops and a Coach wristlet. Best BM gift ever - it was a great combo of things for the wedding, things that could be worn again, and something girly and fun. I carry the wristlet all the time (and carried it during her wedding weekend), and I wore those flip flops all summer.
I wish I could have bought everyone their dresses but there was no way I could have afforded it. However, I did get the dresses that were the most affordable and still looked beautiful (under $150). I thought with the jewelery and totes it would be something for the wedding AND something just for them. However, you bring up a very valid point.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that this is Pricescope, I would expect most of us to respond with Jewelry, hehe. I know that would be my first choice!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 4:06:23 PM
Steel in answer to your question, it is the personal style of 1 or 2 of my 4 girls. I suppose I could get them all something slightly different but I''m not sure. I think that''s what attracted me to the totes. You can customize them with their initals and their favorite colors. I suppose with the totes being about 20 bucks, if I could get an ok set of pearl jewelery for $30 each, then I could still be ok with my $50 budget per girl. I''m just not sure about how much ok pearls would cost.
In your allowances I suggest QVC. Now don''t judge. I bought their Honora pearls y.e.a.r.s ago and still wear them today. They are beautiful. The range has a million options and great price points. The prob is that the optiosn avail are all closer to $40
40.gif

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.J137619.desc.Honora-Cultured-Freshwater-Pearl-Multi-Wire-18Necklace
(I really like this one with your BM dress choice)

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.J00168.desc.Honora-50mm-Cultured-FreshwaterPearl-18StrandwSterl-Clasp

But that does not leave any moola for the totes! Any they are a really cute idea. I must say I think the idea of including their titles (being teachers) is tres cute! But I can tell you aren''t so keen.

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 6:49:57 PM
Author: Steel

Date: 1/17/2010 4:06:23 PM
In your allowances I suggest QVC. Now don''t judge. I bought their Honora pearls y.e.a.r.s ago and still wear them today. They are beautiful. The range has a million options and great price points. The prob is that the optiosn avail are all closer to $40
40.gif

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.J137619.desc.Honora-Cultured-Freshwater-Pearl-Multi-Wire-18Necklace
(I really like this one with your BM dress choice)

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.J00168.desc.Honora-50mm-Cultured-FreshwaterPearl-18StrandwSterl-Clasp

But that does not leave any moola for the totes! Any they are a really cute idea. I must say I think the idea of including their titles (being teachers) is tres cute! But I can tell you aren''t so keen.
I love both of them, but it does leave the dilemma of no totes or earrings. Too many cute ideas and not enough money in the budget! I like the idea of putting their titles but only one of them is married and anoher one is close to being married. So titles are apt to change :)

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I have been thinking this for a long time so now I''ll just say it.
Am I the only person on earth who doesn''t wear flip flops....ever?
When I got married I wore soft ballet slippers
I can''t stand to have anything between my toes.
I have tried.
And all that flipping and flopping when you walk.
I can hardly walk in Dr Scholls
But the longer I stay here the stranger I feel
Flip flopless in a flip flop world

Oh and I would prefer the jewelry

Treasure43

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 10:47:34 PM
Author: MissMina
I have been thinking this for a long time so now I''ll just say it.
Am I the only person on earth who doesn''t wear flip flops....ever?
When I got married I wore soft ballet slippers
I can''t stand to have anything between my toes.
I have tried.
And all that flipping and flopping when you walk.
I can hardly walk in Dr Scholls
But the longer I stay here the stranger I feel
Flip flopless in a flip flop world

Oh and I would prefer the jewelry
Haha...some of my girls are real flip flop girls. I''ll be wearing ballet slippers for the reception but I thought I could get them some flip flops to change into after the wedding for the reception. I actually found some nice pearl necklaces and earrings today that were on sale so I bought them. I''m thinking I may also do the flip flops. After some investigation, I''ve found that most of my BM already have canvas totes with their initals and one can only have so many totes. Whereas you can never have to many flip flops (in my opinion :razz:). Does anyone have another suggestion besides flip flops or the totes?

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Treasure-

Are all 4 girls BMs or is one the MOH and the other 3 BMs?

Because I know that you can often find bulk sets of jewelry at Overstock.com in sets of three...then maybe you could give your MOH something similar but a bit different?

Anyhow, that is just my two cents...

I would pick:

1) Jewelry
2) Tote
3) Flip-Flops (I put this third because I gave my BMs flip flops for the reception and none of them wore them! my MOH kept her heels on the whole time, one bridesmaid went barefoot-even with the flipflops on the chair next to her!, and the other one brought her own ugly shoes to wear)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2010 12:38:59 AM
Author: Bella_mezzo
1. jewelry

2. tote

This is what I think too (partly because I don't wear flip flops, so for me, it would be a useless gift).

ETA: I didn't mean that to sound harsh or rude! Of course, I would be happy (and grateful) to get anything and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I like the idea of cheaper pearl jewelry and a tote, if that option is still on the table.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Treasure, if you don''t mind my asking... what''s your ballpark BM gift budget?

I only ask because you may be able to do all three of those things. Old Navy flip flops, Etsy jewelry, and totes from some random bridal website. I found sweet, simple earring/necklace sets for my BMs on Etsy that were under $15 a pop... Not bad! Obv. not super high-end stuff, but they looked lovely in photos.

If I had to choose between jewelry and bags, however, I''d pick a bag... only because it''s guaranteed to get more use. The only problem is (as others have already said), you run the risk of BMs picking jewelry that really clashes with the dress.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2010 7:55:27 PM
Author: PilsnPinkysMom
Treasure, if you don''t mind my asking... what''s your ballpark BM gift budget?

I only ask because you may be able to do all three of those things. Old Navy flip flops, Etsy jewelry, and totes from some random bridal website. I found sweet, simple earring/necklace sets for my BMs on Etsy that were under $15 a pop... Not bad! Obv. not super high-end stuff, but they looked lovely in photos.

If I had to choose between jewelry and bags, however, I''d pick a bag... only because it''s guaranteed to get more use. The only problem is (as others have already said), you run the risk of BMs picking jewelry that really clashes with the dress.

Ppm, you beat me to it! I got my girls earrings from etsy, and they were less than $5 per pair. 5andunder is the store. I picked out a unique pair for each girl. I got them other things as well (vera bradley lunch totes, flip flops, and stationary personalized on etsy.) Id pick jewelry first.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results