shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had 2 days alone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
With this new job, TGuy has been going on more business trips. Last night I took advantage of it and had 6 girls over for appetizers and wine. It was awesome...we chatted until midnight and laughed our guts out.

Which got me thinking...boy, as much as I love my hubby, it was fantastic to have the house all to myself! Got to do what I wanted when I wanted.

Do you miss being alone in the house for a few days (do you even remember what that''s like?) If you had a couple of days to yourself, what would you do with the time?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
With two kids and five cats, my house is always noisy. A two day break w/out them & Dh, would be spent reading, exercising, meditating, laundry, watching chick flicks, and drinking beer before 5 pm!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I love it when DH is away! I usually spend more time lounging in my jammies and will watch tons of chick flicks and take bubble baths and read in bed... all stuff that isn''t all that appreciated when he''s around. Of course, it also tends to be the time I think it''s perfectly ok to have cheese and crackers for dinner. Next time I need to invite people over so it will be a party!

I think once TTot is born, that alone time won''t be quite as easy to come by unless he takes the baby with him!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal,
My husband travels a lot. 3 trips a month or so. He''s away right now in fact, but gets home tonight. I do miss him, but am so used to him having to travel. I love being able to eat what I want, he''s a finicky eater. I enjoy getting together with my girlfriends for dinner, many of them have husbands who travel. I really enjoy the alone time. But am always happy when he comes home.
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I love having alone time too, although most of my alone time now is filled with studying because I''m at grad school, stuck in my little prison-cell-esque room. It''s insanity when J comes to visit for the weekend because we''re tripping over each other all the time (partially because I inflate a double bed mattress onto the floor so we can sleep together, because sharing my single bed does NOT make me a happy camper), but weird as this may sound, I miss that once he goes back home again. Even though my room feels about twenty times bigger after he''s left.

I can''t wait until we have our own place, and we can be together, or be alone, but still be in the same apartment. That''ll be awesome.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG didn't you ask this question a while ago too?? I recall TG being gone for something and you asked the same Q. Preggo brain!!

Greg travels very infrequently, but he's taking a boys ski trip in Feb and it means a wkd to myself with Princess P. After a few days she starts to get bored with me and shuns me...but it's fun to just have us two for a while. I also typically do a girls' night out dinner, a spa treatment or two. Mani pedi for sure. One or two girlie movie rentals. My littlest sis might come over for a slumber party. I almost always get out for a yummy mall/shopping afternoon. Maybe some gardening one afternoon. Dinner with my parents. I love having the house to myself for a while (and sleeping diagonally in the bed!!!) but it's always great when he comes home too. After about 2-3 days I definitely am like 'okay that was fun...are you home yet?'

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 4:11:56 PM
Author: Mara
TG didn''t you ask this question a while ago too?? I recall TG being gone for something and you asked the same Q. Preggo brain!!

Greg travels very infrequently, but he''s taking a boys ski trip in Feb and it means a wkd to myself with Princess P. After a few days she starts to get bored with me and shuns me...but it''s fun to just have us two for a while. I also typically do a girls'' night out dinner, a spa treatment or two. Mani pedi for sure. One or two girlie movie rentals. My littlest sis might come over for a slumber party. I almost always get out for a yummy mall/shopping afternoon. Maybe some gardening one afternoon. Dinner with my parents. I love having the house to myself for a while (and sleeping diagonally in the bed!!!) but it''s always great when he comes home too. After about 2-3 days I definitely am like ''okay that was fun...are you home yet?''
Did I?

Who am I?

Why is my stomach squirmy?

32.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband travels every week. He left yesterday and will be back Sunday. But, well, it''s *RAINING IN THE KITCHEN!!!*. Yeah, things like this always happen when he''s away. We know what the problem is, and obviously I won''t be using the shower causing the problem again, but it gets tiresome over the years.

And heck yes, I really DO love having time to myself!
36.gif
I could do without the major household maintenance issues that only pop up when he''s gone though. I love having quiet time. I love reading or watching chick shows and movies. I love not having to cook dinner!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH! the one other thing I love about having to take care of myself only when G is gone...eating weird things for dinner that would make no sense when he was around. Like cereal and chinese dumplings. Or oatmeal and a protein shake. Or.....a big container of tart frozen yogurt and cookies. YUM.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 4:19:30 PM
Author: Mara
A HA! Similar yet different. Knew I wasn''t (totally) crazy.

Home Alone
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/home-alone.58331/
That was almost a year ago! You can''t hold a preggo woman for something she asked a year ago! I can''t even remember what I had for dinner last night!

In fact...

When I pulled up that thread, I thought...shoot! How funny that I just asked that question a few days ago...I must be losing it. But then I noticed it was FEBRUARY 2007 (I forgot it was only Jan). Girlfriend, I don''t even know what MONTH and YEAR I am currently in.

I can''t blame it on the baby though. I''m just naturally stupid.
20.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore having the house to myself! Anything up to two weeks is good for me-I''ll have the girls over, bring my duvet down to the couch and sit in my pj''s all day, eat what I like, look at girlie flicks all day and pamper myself-my idea of heaven!! I do miss D though if he''s away for too long.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Funny you should ask. DH may be going to NYC for a few days next month on business and the company he is traveling for has said they'll pay for me to go too but I may not be able to due to school. DH works from home and rarely travels for business so I am home alone next to never. As much as I love to travel, a small bit of me hopes that I can stay home alone, this morning I was actually plotting what I do if he goes by himself.

If I had two days alone I'd have a get together with some girlfriends one evening and spend the rest of the time alone. I'd exercise, read a lot, and eat abnormal dinners -- cereal is my favorite! or just tator tots!

I do travel alone to visit friends and family a few times a year and I get to stay in a hotel by myself. I enjoy it so much! People I visit offer their homes and I have to explain that as much as I enjoy being with them that staying in a hotel by myself is one big a party for me!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
What would I do with 2 days free and clear, hmmmm.......

Sleep in (just until 8AM maybe). Curl up on the couch and watch Turner Classic Movies. Read one of the many new books I''ve got that I haven''t had time to pick up. Take myself out to breakfast at a real diner in a neighboring town; their coffee is the best! Call my sister (she lives 30 miles away) and meet her for lunch. Take my book to the Starbuck''s patio and sit in the sun sipping an unsweet black iced tea.
10.gif
Go shopping; go antiquing in a nearby village full of great shops.
30.gif
Use my gift certificate for a massage at my favorite day spa. Get a pedicure/manicure. Have a professional consultation about sprucing up my hair color.

Oh, and

stowe away the Christmas crap sitting on my dining room table!
9.gif

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
FI goes on business trips once every couple months. I take the time to take hot baths, let the kitty sleep in the bed (we need a bigger bed, I swear that once a cat lies down it takes up twice the logical space it should), watch television shows FI wouldn''t necessarily enjoy, and paint!

I''m always glad when he gets back, but doesn''t mean I can''t have a good time while he''s away
9.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal, what a timely question! My fiance is about to travel for business this upcoming week, and it's surprising how many options fell both into my lap and now into my calendar!

In addition to scheduling plans with friends to see chick-flicks that would make my fiance squirm (27 Dresses, Atonement), my fiance scheduled a day at the spa for me in his absence (swooooooooon!), I have a luncheon, and need to go dress-shopping for an upcoming event. If anything, when he goes out of town, my schedule becomes more cramped with obligations! I don't miss having a house to myself typically, but I do admit-- being able to stretch out and roll around the entire bed is delectable!

BTW, I *love* the idea of having some girls over for cocktails one evening-- I hadn't thought of that, but how cool would that be?!? Hmm....

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2008 7:13:09 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
TravelingGal, what a timely question! My fiance is about to travel for business this upcoming week, and it''s surprising how many options fell both into my lap and now into my calendar!

In addition to scheduling plans with friends to see chick-flicks that would make my fiance squirm (27 Dresses, Atonement), my fiance scheduled a day at the spa for me in his absence (swooooooooon!), I have a luncheon, and need to go dress-shopping for an upcoming event. If anything, when he goes out of town, my schedule becomes more cramped with obligations! I don''t miss having a house to myself typically, but I do admit-- being able to stretch out and roll around the entire bed is delectable!

BTW, I *love* the idea of having some girls over for cocktails one evening-- I hadn''t thought of that, but how cool would that be?!? Hmm....
It''s great fun! I find that a group of girls really have a ball when they are comfy-cozy without any other potential eavesdroppers around. Conversation really starts flowing and often gets pretty hilarious!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
IF, and that''s a big IF since one of my peeps is always around, I had a couple of days alone I''d probably go nuts. I''m so used to constant activity with the kids that when everyone is actually gone I''m so stinkin'' bored. Last year DH was out of town and DH''s parents wanted to keep the kids for a few days. All of my girlfriends were busy so I had to entertain myself. After a day of bubble baths and lots of TV I was so done. The cat and I talked a lot.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2008 9:34:01 PM
Author: Miranda
IF, and that''s a big IF since one of my peeps is always around, I had a couple of days alone I''d probably go nuts. I''m so used to constant activity with the kids that when everyone is actually gone I''m so stinkin'' bored. Last year DH was out of town and DH''s parents wanted to keep the kids for a few days. All of my girlfriends were busy so I had to entertain myself. After a day of bubble baths and lots of TV I was so done. The cat and I talked a lot.
LOL!!! I get that way sometimes when DH has been gone on biz trip for more than 2-3 days...the dogs keep me company for the first two days and then we get bored with each other.

If I didn''t have dogs to keep me company while DH is away I would probably do a lot more socializing, honestly. Usually the most I do when he''s OOT is have dinner with a girlfriend or go over to my ILs'' for dinner, that way I''m not leaving the dogs alone for too long. Yes, they completely own us...they do not like to have their pack leaders absent for more than 8-9 hours a day!

Two days completely alone and left to my own devices??? If I had a few weeks to plan, I would honestly do a girlie GTG like TGal and totally live it up for one evening, then spend the next day recuperating and cleaning up the "evidence." Ha!
11.gif
9.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
I do really like my alone time, provided that it isn't too frequent. (Sometimes when hubby's work gets really busy he'll have to work late often -- when that happens too many nights, turtledazzle gets a little upset.) DH also travels probably 5-6 times per year, usually for 2-4 days each trip. The first 2 or 3 days I'm loving it. I usually rent DVDs of TV shows that he wouldn't like (for instance, right now I'm watching Veronica Mars since he's working late).

Now that my work has been busy, I haven't done this in a while, but in the past I hosted cocktail time for my gals like TGal did. I would email everyone maybe 1-2 weeks beforehand saying something along the lines of "I know I'm supposed to pine away while my beloved is away from me, but, heck -- let's get real and drink some vino! Girl time at turtledazzle's while the boy is away!!!" We always had a blast! For a while someone was hosting such a thing every couple of months -- we called it (and I mean no offense to anyone, please) -- H*'s before Bro's. We just had a good time! Hmmm, I'm thinking a girls' night is in order again very soon .... DH is going out of town in a couple of weeks.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2008 10:27:10 PM
Author: turtledazzle
I do really like my alone time, provided that it isn''t too frequent. (Sometimes when hubby''s work gets really busy he''ll have to work late often -- when that happens too many nights, turtledazzle gets a little upset.) DH also travels probably 5-6 times per year, usually for 2-4 days each trip. The first 2 or 3 days I''m loving it. I usually rent DVDs of TV shows that he wouldn''t like (for instance, right now I''m watching Veronica Mars since he''s working late).

Now that my work has been busy, I haven''t done this in a while, but in the past I hosted cocktail time for my gals like TGal did. I would email everyone maybe 1-2 weeks beforehand saying something along the lines of ''I know I''m supposed to pine away while my beloved is away from me, but, heck -- let''s get real and drink some vino! Girl time at turtledazzle''s while the boy is away!!!'' We always had a blast! For a while someone was hosting such a thing every couple of months -- we called it (and I mean no offense to anyone, please) -- H*''s before Bro''s. We just had a good time! Hmmm, I''m thinking a girls'' night is in order again very soon .... DH is going out of town in a couple of weeks.
Hilarious!!! I just might have to steal that and make it my the next theme name of my girls night out party!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2008 2:11:01 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 1/25/2008 10:27:10 PM
Author: turtledazzle
I do really like my alone time, provided that it isn''t too frequent. (Sometimes when hubby''s work gets really busy he''ll have to work late often -- when that happens too many nights, turtledazzle gets a little upset.) DH also travels probably 5-6 times per year, usually for 2-4 days each trip. The first 2 or 3 days I''m loving it. I usually rent DVDs of TV shows that he wouldn''t like (for instance, right now I''m watching Veronica Mars since he''s working late).

Now that my work has been busy, I haven''t done this in a while, but in the past I hosted cocktail time for my gals like TGal did. I would email everyone maybe 1-2 weeks beforehand saying something along the lines of ''I know I''m supposed to pine away while my beloved is away from me, but, heck -- let''s get real and drink some vino! Girl time at turtledazzle''s while the boy is away!!!'' We always had a blast! For a while someone was hosting such a thing every couple of months -- we called it (and I mean no offense to anyone, please) -- H*''s before Bro''s. We just had a good time! Hmmm, I''m thinking a girls'' night is in order again very soon .... DH is going out of town in a couple of weeks.
Hilarious!!! I just might have to steal that and make it my the next theme name of my girls night out party!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Glad you like it monnie!
1.gif
A different group of gals used to have semi-regular gatherings that we called Chicks before D*cks ... hmmm, which group was more angry toward the XY chromosomes do ya think?
6.gif
(again, we meant it all in jest ... no offense).
Being in grad school back then with a BF a few years older, I got to have a lot of different kinds of gal friends ... across a pretty varied age range and really different backgrounds. We would all get together, order pizza or just bring whatever and, before you knew it, many bottles of wine would be gone and everyone would be laughing in tears. Girl time is good for the soul!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure that I''d do anything that differently, actually. I guess I''d read a lot more, and I''d probably get caught up on the chick flicks that my FI won''t watch with me (even he has his limits).

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE to have the house to myself. I haven''t had it to myself in so long. YEARS. What you are describing is my ultimate fantasy. Two days alone would be as relaxing as a tw week vacation.

First of all, before the two days I would have someone come in and thoroughly clean my house so that I would not be compelled to do that with this rare and valuable time. I would make sure all my bills were paid and ever chore that would need to be done during that time would already be done. I would gather a couple of books, some magazines, great wine, and I''d have things to eat that didn''t require much preparation.

During those two days I would have a relaxing bath with scented candles in the bathroom and a bottle of wine or champagne (I wouldn''t drink more than two glasses, though). I would read, wax my brows, give myself a pedicure, do my nails, in short: totally pamper myself. I never get to do that without a dozen interruptions, so this really would be heaven, and it would be ALL ABOUT ME!!!! There would be no television, no phone calls (except with hubby and kids to check in with them), no distractions would be allowed at all. I might go shopping, though.

That''s what I''d do with my two days. But keep in mind, it will be a LONG time before I get those two days. If you get two days a month to yourself, chances are you''ll want to do more girl night socializing and stuff like that.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how I love being alone in the condo. I snack on goldfish and oreos and watch hours of bad tv on netflix dvd''s. (''Lost''? Battlestar Gallactica? Old Sherlock Holmes episodes with Jeremy Brett).

Actually, I was in NYC this week on business, and had this fab-o hotel room. Come back from a yummy business dinner, have a loooooooong shower in the funky bathroom, put on the plushy Frette robe, crawl under the Frette sheets and watch bad tv on an actual TV!!!

(I don''t own a tv, so actual tv is, like, exciting for me).

Yes, the only thing better than Home Alone is Swank Hotel Alone.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, fun thread!

Love the girls night when DH is away-plus I can just eat salad for dinner if I want (or ice cream, hee....), and I sleep in the MIDDLE of the bed.

Wow, I just read over that and wondered if I'm getting a leeettle old.
23.gif
39.gif

Okay, what I meant was-it's my opportunity to go out on the town, dancing, drinking....

Nah, don't have the energy. BUT I do have a pair of pyjammies which he HATES that get a workout whenever he's away.
31.gif

I love how so many of us listed eating differently when he's away!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
There are definitely lots of pros and cons when Mr.7''s goes away. He was actually away this past week and came home Friday morning. I love being able to eat whatever I want which means I can order out every night... pizza, grinders, leftover pizza, chinese. Mr.7''s hates this but I just say... Hun, it''s just way too hard to cook when it''s just me and the boys, I''m so tired by the end of the day!This really is only half true, he knows how much I hate cooking
14.gif
and I will do almost anything to get out of it!
11.gif

It''s also nice that when he is away my house stays a lot cleaner. By the time he came home this past week I had the house in pretty good condition. I even organized a couple cabinets and got most of the laundry done so I was feeling pretty good! I went to bed at around 10pm, DH came home around 2am, and I woke up around 6am to find towels and clothes strung around the bathroom (literally strung, like hanging from the shower curtain, we have hooks and hampers in there so there is no excuse
38.gif
, and dishes and crumbs on the counter and stove in the kitchen. I wouldn''t mind so much if he was just "too tired" and didn''t do it all the time.
20.gif

I also loved, this past week, being on PS whenever I wanted! We don''t see each other or get to talk much during the day because he''s so busy at work so nights are spent together and not on the computer!

That said, when he leaves it''s like my children turn into totally different people and I can''t stand that! They start to argue, pout, and complain about everything! I know how much they miss him when he leaves but why does that mean I''m the bad guy!
40.gif

I do miss him when he goes away but I find the time really does fly by!!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I love having the house to myself for a night, or even a weekend, but after that, I have to admit I do start missing FI and getting lonely. But when it is just a short stint, I''m ashamed to admit the thing I absolutely LOVE to do is watch the really cheesey ABC Family, Hallmark, and Lifetime TV movies. I also enjoy reading and working out, but those movies are really my fav!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results