shape
carat
color
clarity

If you had $15,000 to spend on gems....

If you had $15k that someone gave to you with the only stipulation that it had to be spent on gemsto

• 1 specific gem

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • A matched pair/suite

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
An interesting question for discussion, please say what you picked and why/what it would actually be.

ETA: Oops, I was trying to enter another option- as many as you could get with $15k

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you come up with $ 15 K? It is such a random number...

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 11:07:08 PM
Author: crasru
How did you come up with $ 15 K? It is such a random number...

Well, I didn''t want it so big that everyone would break it down to many things, but I wanted it large enough to afford something nice... Eek. Maybe another reason would be that''s probably WAY more than I ever would spend... even if I were really wealthy.

Also, my answer would be the one that didn''t make it in the poll- I would probably do as many as I could to build my collection/add some nice things that wouldn''t make my fiance faint if he saw the price tags individually.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha I saw your other thread on spending $100 this morning, and I was thinking "wow that's quite the budget increase
23.gif
"

1.gif

I'd spend most of it on diamonds... a good chunk on a nice red sapphire eternity.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 11:10:17 PM
Author: yssie
haha I saw your other thread on spending $100 this morning, and I was thinking ''wow that''s quite the budget increase
23.gif
''

1.gif

I''d spend most of it on diamonds... a good chunk on a nice red sapphire eternity.

LOL, no, not my budget ><

Interesting answer though. I don''t think I''d consider spending it on diamonds, the only ones that have spoken to me are on my left ring finger
2.gif

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I''d buy an oval ruby, set it in a halo, and give it to my mommy. She''s always wanted one and I would so love to give it to her.

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 11:22:52 PM
Author: redfaerythinker
I''d buy an oval ruby, set it in a halo, and give it to my mommy. She''s always wanted one and I would so love to give it to her.

That''s so selfless and sweet.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
one specific gem......not sure what it would be though. perhaps a world class red spinel........

mz

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That one bright cobalt blue spinel from cherrypicked.com (don't bother trying to go to the site, it's down).

ETA: I think it was $19k though.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I might go for a medley of rare stones, incluiding pezzoite, hauyne, a good cat''s eye (with milk and honey effect), a berikly colour change garnet and have them set in killer contemporary settings (pendants were necessary, of course).

Alternatively, I might go for a very fine stone (fluorescent ruby, paraiba tourmaline or sapphire) and, of course, a setting for it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sapphire or Ruby. One honking stone or two, one of each! Red Spinel might be an alternate, if the color and clarity were better than the ruby I could afford.

ringthings

Shiny_Rock
One question: How do I find this person who gives me $15k, and says I must buy jewels with it?

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh this is exactly the dilemma I have coming later in the year. I''ll soon be finishing up with the project I''ve been on for the past 2 years and I get my retention bonus paid out after I demobilise. So I''m thinking I will splurge about 1/3 of it on gemstones instead of being fully responsible and putting it all into home improvements, investments etc.

I''ve been back and forth on what to do - buy one really really really amazing stone or 3 smaller great stones. I''m more and more thinking I''ll go the route of getting 3 smaller good quality stones, plus maybe set a couple of loose stones I have.

If I go that route then one of the stones will definately be a 3ct(ish) top grade Tsavorite and I''m not sure yet about the other two. Maybe a 1ct yellow diamond?

But then I''m also tempted to get truly rare stones/crystals such as an Esquel Pallasite slice, pallasitic peridot, benitoite, jeremejevite, serendibite etc,

Decisions decisions LOL
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''d blow $5k on either a tsav or a demantoid - best I could get for the price.

The other $10k on a red spinel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s no question I will get a single extremely fine quality specimen although I’m not sure which one I’ll get; it’ll most likely be an untreated ruby w/fluorescence.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''d get a gorgeous mahenge spinel or pariba tourmaline and have it set just like Art Nouveau''s Leon!!

IMG_3995_s.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
sigh...I do love that ring
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would do one of the following
1. Gem Safari with SEAMIC in Tanzania, costs of airfare and the trip would be about 5k that leaves 10k for rough and cut gemstone buying at the source :)
2. A large Afghan emerald piece of rough, last time I checked rough was anywhere from 400-1000 a carat for sizes up to 2 grams. It might be more now though.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I spotted this imperial topaz at Pala this week. Not sure if $15K would secure it for me or not, but it''s put imperial topaz right back up on top of my wish list.

pala imperial topaz.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2010 9:30:14 AM
Author: Gailey
I spotted this imperial topaz at Pala this week. Not sure if $15K would secure it for me or not, but it''s put imperial topaz right back up on top of my wish list.
HI:

Hey you, that''s MY stone!
30.gif
9.gif
3.gif

Actually I''d like a red beryl--but doubt 15k would get me the one I desire.

cheers--Sharon

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm...I''d go with all of it on one stone. Which stone? I guess whichever stone won me over first. I''d love to have a nice emerald cabachon, a large neon green demantoid, a burma ruby, a sleepy red mahenge spinel, an alexandrite with good color change...just to name a few.
3.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, too much brown. Try this:

imptop1327.jpg

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
Wowza! Such a variety. I think if I spent it on only one gem it''d be a ruby. Though, to be honest, the thought of spending so much on one item that isn''t a "necessity" makes my head spin- in both a negative and positive way lol

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 12:10:26 PM
Author: zeolite

imptop1327.jpg
Oh Mr Z, you certainly know the way to a girl''s heart! That is jaw-droppingly beautiful. One of yours n''est pas?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No clue what...
A sapphire? Very likely...
Add some and buy another alex? Could be...
Or a pink untreated diamond? Have no idea about the cost though.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no clue what I would get.

-A

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 5:08:16 PM

Date: 3/23/2010 12:10:26 PM
Author: zeolite

imptop1327.jpg
Oh Mr Z, you certainly know the way to a girl''s heart! That is jaw-droppingly beautiful. One of yours n''est pas?
Oui!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 3:55:00 AM
Author: ringthings

One question: How do I find this person who gives me $15k, and says I must buy jewels with it?

Ditto! point me in THAT direction :)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
A fine ruby.

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would buy a larger number of stones. If I spent 15k on one stone, it would have to either live unset in a safe deposit box, or be set into a ring I would be afraid to wear. I think my single stone limit (with the exception of a diamond if I ever get married) is probably a couple thousand.

I''d spend a couple grand on a small blue sapphire with wonderful color. By and large, I would use the money to build a collection of beauties without spending a fortune on each one. I''m okay with small but beautiful. I know I''d want a nice tsavorite (still small but bigger that my new little guy posted in the green thread), a nice bright spess, one of those brilliant pink spinels, a really good kyanite, a couple of zircons..... :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results