shape
carat
color
clarity

I want something black

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/17/2009 10:04:19 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 10/17/2009 9:28:24 PM

Author: serenitydiamonds

Any thoughts on a black diamond? They are a bit trendy at the moment, but their look is definitely cool.;-)

--Joshua

I think they''re a bit overpriced for what they are (black crystalized carbon) simply because they''re diamonds. Black diamonds are cheap next to white diamonds of course, but they''re still more expensive than other black gems. Spinel does take a fine polish because it is hard, so I think that''s a great option. It''s also priced accordingly for a black opaque gem.

I agree, Black Diamonds are definitely more expensive than Spinel and if cost were my primary concern I''d go with Spinel. Overpriced... well that''s personal opinion...hehehe. However, at the moment Black Diamonds are becoming popular with designers as a beautiful way to contrast white diamonds and create an antique, regal, and elegant flair to the pieces they adorn. Naturally that''s my personal opinion though;-)

Champagne diamonds used to be discarded as waste until marketing from Australia and designers created a strong desire for something unique and elegant in the diamond line slightly off the beaten path. The same is starting happen with black diamonds. However, as I posted earlier, it''s very important to get treatment details on black diamonds prior to purchase from a reputable vendor.

--Joshua

Rough_Rock
I''d go for Onyx. I just don''t like black diamonds even though I have a stack ring for matching purposes.

But if you''d want something subtle and unusual, perhaps black jade. Black jade is exquisite with diamond accents.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project...I love black and can''t wait to see what you decide upon!
36.gif

Lori

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I am having a tough time finding someone to set it. I have sent about 4 emails requesting info about doing it. I know that it is Sunday, but I just really don''t have a good feeling about it because the sides are not completely equal and it is large. Tomorrow I am going to call some of my local jewelers and see what they say. I can''t wait. If it ends up being too pricey we may have to wait a little while until I get it done. I will ask for it to be set for my b-day. My birthday is in the beginning of December so really a little over a month. I am so excited!! Even if I have to wait it will not be that long because I want it done and in my hand on my b-day (The 8th).

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I see you''d picked something out right before my last post. Hope you love it when you get it!
21.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the tourmaline you picked will be gorgeous - especially set with white diamonds. I have a 4ct black diamond pear shape surrounded by a halo of white diamonds and the contrast is amazing. I''m always getting complimented on it. I have to say that I hated black diamonds before I found this one. I paid very very very little for it and thought I wouldn''t like it so was stunned when I fell in love with it. Your tourmaline looks like it has more sparkle/lustre which will be stunning. I can''t wait to see the finished project.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2009 11:04:41 AM
Author: gemguy24

Date: 10/17/2009 9:10:17 PM
Author: radiantquest
Ooooh I think that I may have found one. Do we have any info on whether this is a reputable business? What do you think of this one?

http://www.gemselect.com/spinel/spinel-223498.php

hey radiant, did you ever find anything about about gemselect?
Find out about what? The tourmaline that I bought came from gemselect.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Are there other colored diamonds that are considered affordable?

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds no matter what are pricey. The least expensive ones are the least desired ones. Fancy colors are expensive, white are expensive. I think that black weren't until recently when they gained popularity. The ones that are the most afordable are high color and high clarity(more inclusions).

I am considering not putting diamodns around it. I think with a halo it will look more fancy. The look I am going for is more understated. One that looks good with jeans and a t-shirt and that also looks nice with a little black dress. I am doing a bezel so that should be a good contrast between the white metal color and the black stone.

gemguy24

Rough_Rock
oops! missed that

cant wait to see how the rest of the project shapes up! keep us updated!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
The contrast of a bezeled black tourmaline sounds really neat! Can''t wait to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results