shape
carat
color
clarity

I want something black

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure yet if it is a RHR or a pendant, but I am sure that I want black.

The question is what should I use? Black Diamond, Black Sapphire, Onyx or Black Spinel? Which gives the best look for the $

It seems to me that it would be a waste to pay diamond prices for a stone that doesn''t really sparkle. I really am looking for a 1ct black whatever pendant with maybe a small diamond accent. Less than a halo, but just a hint. As far as a RHR goes I also want diamond with black. In the ring I think I would prefer smaller black stones mixed with the hint of diamonds. If I go for instance the sapphire route should the white color be sapphire too then?

Any input is appreciated.

I am so excited about this!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 8:12:46 PM
Author:radiantquest
I am not sure yet if it is a RHR or a pendant, but I am sure that I want black.

The question is what should I use? Black Diamond, Black Sapphire, Onyx or Black Spinel? Which gives the best look for the $

It seems to me that it would be a waste to pay diamond prices for a stone that doesn''t really sparkle. I really am looking for a 1ct black whatever pendant with maybe a small diamond accent. Less than a halo, but just a hint. As far as a RHR goes I also want diamond with black. In the ring I think I would prefer smaller black stones mixed with the hint of diamonds. If I go for instance the sapphire route should the white color be sapphire too then?

Any input is appreciated.

I am so excited about this!!!
I would do black spinel because it''s durable and not treated like black diamond (irradiated) or onyx (dyed). It''s also really cheap. I haven''t seen too many black sapphires, the ones I''ve seen are just very very dark opaque blue.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Do you want it to be a flat, opaque black, or do you want some translucence or special effects?

If you like special effects, maybe a black star sapphire?

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I want opaque. I am leaning more towards the pendant now. After doing some research I am having a hard time. The few places that sell loose black spinels sell them in high carat weights. I want 1.5 - 2 ct. No more than 3ct. This is tough. If anyone knows where I can buy them I would love some direction. I am so excited about it and having such a hard time. When I finally get it I know that I will truly love it.

empress

Shiny_Rock
How about black tourmaline?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Natural black spinel has very good luster and is widely available and inexpensive too; they mine a lot of it in Thailand.

There is also quite a bit of black tourmaline in the market and it''s even less expensive than the black spinel.

You will sometimes find a black andradite garnet sold under the name melanite.

The black star sapphires from Thailand tend to be on the brown side of black, with a gold star. Probably not what you''re looking for.

You have to be a bit careful with black onyx. Most of the natural stuff is dyed (since the natural stone is not uniformly black), and there are many simulants around for use in cheap jewelry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 9:00:30 PM
Author: radiantquest
I want opaque. I am leaning more towards the pendant now. After doing some research I am having a hard time. The few places that sell loose black spinels sell them in high carat weights. I want 1.5 - 2 ct. No more than 3ct. This is tough. If anyone knows where I can buy them I would love some direction. I am so excited about it and having such a hard time. When I finally get it I know that I will truly love it.
http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/index.aspx?tid=7362&Ntt=black%20spinel&N=50+&cm_sp=

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There''s a 3.30 round in the link I provided for $11.14 - much cheaper for around the same carat weight.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 9:05:55 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/index.aspx?tid=7362&Ntt=black%20spinel&N=50+&cm_sp=
Thank you. Great find. Now I have to make a choice. What do think is causing the difference in price from the one I found and the one of a similar carat weight on this page?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure, but JTV does buy in bulk, which helps keep the cost down on calibrated gems.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Any thoughts on a black diamond? They are a bit trendy at the moment, but their look is definitely cool.;-)

--Joshua

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I have a spinel that I like

empress- i looked at tourmalines too. The stone has some folklore with it too. It says that it keeps negativity away. I think that I found a tourmaline that I really love. It's a 4.4 trillion cut black tourmaline. I am really digging it.

serenitydiamonds- what is the reason to spend so much more on a black diamond? Do they look that much better? I can't imagine that they do since it is black and opaque. If you know something that I don't please inform me. I would hate to get something and then find out there was a much better option.

So assuming that I go with either a spinel or a tourmaline because they are much less expensive which is better? What are the pros and cons of each?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
The spinel is harder (Mohs hardness of 8) and thus more durable. Scatches really show on black, so this is important.

Since the spinel is quite hard, it tends to take a very good polish. So you''ll probably get better luster in the spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 9:28:24 PM
Author: serenitydiamonds
Any thoughts on a black diamond? They are a bit trendy at the moment, but their look is definitely cool.;-)

--Joshua
I think they''re a bit overpriced for what they are (black crystalized carbon) simply because they''re diamonds. Black diamonds are cheap next to white diamonds of course, but they''re still more expensive than other black gems. Spinel does take a fine polish because it is hard, so I think that''s a great option. It''s also priced accordingly for a black opaque gem.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 9:05:55 PM

It looks like when you buy from this site they don''t show you photos of the specific stone they''ll ship you. They just show a sample. I''d want to know the exact size of the gem I''m getting and whether it has any scratches or chips.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I think that I will go with the black tourmaline since I can get the trillion shape. I can''t find that in a spinel. Although spinel is an 8 on the moh a tourmaline is 7-7.5 so really there isn''t much difference. Plus it is going to be around my neck so there isn''t much activity going on there that could scratch it. I plan to wear it 24/7. Is that going to be a problem? Also, how do I go about getting this thing set? Should I contact one of our vendors to get it set?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You can get faceted black spinel strands of beads that make a great looking flashy necklace. It would look stunning with the right sort of pendant, and they are inexpensive. Link I saw a single strand black spinel necklace at the jewelers for nearly $300, and I''m putting together my own for $30.
1.gif

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 10:20:23 PM
Author: Fly Girl
You can get faceted black spinel strands of beads that make a great looking flashy necklace. It would look stunning with the right sort of pendant, and they are inexpensive. Link I saw a single strand black spinel necklace at the jewelers for nearly $300, and I''m putting together my own for $30.
1.gif
Fly Girl, chances are that these are not natural spinel. The seller describes them as "genuine" which is a word that applies equally to low cost synthetic spinel. Given the large number of negative feedbacks that the seller has received (21 in the last 6 months), I would be careful.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 10:14:42 PM
I think that I will go with the black tourmaline since I can get the trillion shape. I can''t find that in a spinel. Although spinel is an 8 on the moh a tourmaline is 7-7.5 so really there isn''t much difference. Plus it is going to be around my neck so there isn''t much activity going on there that could scratch it. I plan to wear it 24/7. Is that going to be a problem? Also, how do I go about getting this thing set? Should I contact one of our vendors to get it set?
Hardness and durability are not the same thing. Although tourmaline appears to be hard, in other words, not much can scratch it, tourmaline easily chips if knocked on something the wrong way. Spinel is a much more durable stone.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/17/2009 10:41:51 PM

Hardness and durability are not the same thing. Although tourmaline appears to be hard, in other words, not much can scratch it, tourmaline easily chips if knocked on something the wrong way. Spinel is a much more durable stone.
Sound advice. But for a pendant it shouldn''t matter.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2009 10:46:47 PM
Author: morecarats

Date: 10/17/2009 10:41:51 PM

Sound advice. But for a pendant it shouldn''t matter.
True.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
HERE''s an idea for a ring you might like, it''s got small stones (onyx) surrounded by diamonds, made in platinum by Cartier
9.gif
It''ll set you back just a few thousand dollars.

Jokes aside, have you thought about black pearls. They''re great for pendants (due to low hadrness), and probably my favorite black gemstone. They''re not cheap, but they''re worth it.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I have no constructive advice, but look forward to seeing the finished product!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/18/2009 3:59:12 AM
Author: ma re
HERE''s an idea for a ring you might like, it''s got small stones (onyx) surrounded by diamonds, made in platinum by Cartier
9.gif
It''ll set you back just a few thousand dollars.

Jokes aside, have you thought about black pearls. They''re great for pendants (due to low hadrness), and probably my favorite black gemstone. They''re not cheap, but they''re worth it.
I love black Tahitian pearls as well. Many black pearls are dyed, but true Tahitians should not be, and the color is natural. For more information on pearls, if you''re intrested, you should check out the pearl subforum on PS. I''ve never seen a pure black Tahitian, most of them are dark grey (even though they call them "black" pearls), and/or have iridescence that throws of different colors (like oil on a water puddle). However, they are very lovely in fine quality.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/17/2009 9:42:58 PM
I have a spinel that I like

empress- i looked at tourmalines too. The stone has some folklore with it too. It says that it keeps negativity away. I think that I found a tourmaline that I really love. It''s a 4.4 trillion cut black tourmaline. I am really digging it.

serenitydiamonds- what is the reason to spend so much more on a black diamond? Do they look that much better? I can''t imagine that they do since it is black and opaque. If you know something that I don''t please inform me. I would hate to get something and then find out there was a much better option.

So assuming that I go with either a spinel or a tourmaline because they are much less expensive which is better? What are the pros and cons of each?
If you are making a piece using white diamonds it provides a nice contrast and they are definitely the ''IN'' fashion trend at the moment carrying with them a bit of mystique. Polished well, they would carry better than spinel, but you have to be vary wary as there are a lot of treated black diamonds on the market as well.

http://www.diamonds.net/news/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=5552

Otherwise, if you are just looking for a low cost black option, Spinel is definitely perfect for that.

--Joshua

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
This is what I decided to go with. I originally started looking at the tourmalines as a low cost option, but once I read about how something in their composition causes them to become electrically charged when you heat it and the fact that tourmaline is the only one that I can find in the size and shape that I want I decided this was the one for me. Originally I wanted a smaller stone, but once I broke out the tape measure to see I decided that this is the right size and shape so I went with it. If you see something not right about it let me know so that I can cancel.

http://www.gemselect.com/tourmaline/tourmaline-233925.php

Now I am trying to decide what to do with it. I am wondering about putting tiny white stones around it, but don''t really want to increase the size. Then I thought about setting it with the small end at the top and putting a small white stone there. I am not sure yet. I wll be setting it in white gold so that will make some contrast. And I mentioned before about setting it in a bezel. Maybe that little bit of white gold around it will be just enough contrast.

Thoughts?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too am looking forward to seeing how this project turns out. Personally I would go for the Spinel if you want to wear it 24/7.

But if you want a certain shape...you may have a long wait.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
There''s not much you can go wrong with in terms of design, cause you''re mixing basic neutrals. White gold sounds great, some diamonds set in the bail also sound like a good idea if you''d like to keep it as small as possible. Did I mention that I love everything bezeled?
9.gif
BTW, you can make this a slide pendant, so that you can wear it whatever way you''d like - with the point facing up, or with the point facing down (but you wouldn''t have a bail then...but you could set diamonds in the gallery then...ah, possibilities
9.gif
).

Enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results