shape
carat
color
clarity

I Love Selling Things on eBay! How about you?!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m on a selling things on eBay kick and I am LOVING it! It''s like free money! Does anybody else sell things on eBay? If so, what do you sell? I''m trying to figure out more things to auction off because I have too much stuff and a wishlist a mile long!

So far I''ve done some vintage Coach and Gucci purses and I''m going to list some Nylon Magazines I have from the last couple of years that I noticed have been selling for pretty good prices. (Which is so weird to me...who wants an old magazine?!)

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Thing2of2 -- I don''t sell stuff or buy stuff on Ebay yet ... I think my PS addiction is bad enough. I can''t imagine what a fiend I would become if I started in on Ebay.

I just wanted to say that I love your new avatar .. Too cute!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 1:22:39 AM
Author: Sparkalicious
I just wanted to say that I love your new avatar .. Too cute!

Thanks, Sparks! Right back at ya! Your princess kitty pic is adorable!

Yeah, I was quite the eBay buying fiend for a while...so now I'm trying to be opposite and be a selling fiend!
22.gif

jewelry_lover

Rough_Rock
Hi
35.gif
, I used to sell on ebay and I really enjoyed selling!
Their prices are a bit high so I''ve been looking for alternatives but ebay is the most well known and they know it. Thats why they can charge what they do.
Are you allowed to post your ebay link? If so I''d love to see what your selling.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My DH sells a ton of stuff on ebay. It''s "found money" because there is usually some investment in them, but we get more free space AND money. Things he sells:

1) autographed sports memorabilia... he goes to shows, gets things signed, then sells them
2) newspapers from big events. We live near DC, so he has the Washington Post from Reagan''s funeral, Deep Throat''s reveal, the first game of the Nationals, etc...
3) clothes people give him that he doesn''t like
4) my "extra" shoes
5) tickets to football games. He''s a season ticket holder but doesn''t go to every game.
6) gifts that we don''t need and can''t return. His current project is selling 4 place settings of fine china that Sandals gave us after our honeymoon.

Ali

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 10:29:54 AM
Author: jewelry_lover
Hi
35.gif
, I used to sell on ebay and I really enjoyed selling!
Their prices are a bit high so I've been looking for alternatives but ebay is the most well known and they know it. Thats why they can charge what they do.
Are you allowed to post your ebay link? If so I'd love to see what your selling.

Welcome to the forums jewelry_lover.

This may be a good time to remind everyone that in order to maintain the integrity of the forums and keep our members safe, buying/selling, link dropping and self promotion is not allowed here.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 10:34:07 AM
Author: sumbride
My DH sells a ton of stuff on ebay. It''s ''found money'' because there is usually some investment in them, but we get more free space AND money. Things he sells:

1) autographed sports memorabilia... he goes to shows, gets things signed, then sells them
2) newspapers from big events. We live near DC, so he has the Washington Post from Reagan''s funeral, Deep Throat''s reveal, the first game of the Nationals, etc...
3) clothes people give him that he doesn''t like
4) my ''extra'' shoes
5) tickets to football games. He''s a season ticket holder but doesn''t go to every game.
6) gifts that we don''t need and can''t return. His current project is selling 4 place settings of fine china that Sandals gave us after our honeymoon.

Your husband doesn''t mess around! That''s exactly what I want to do...figure out all the good sellers on eBay and just keep selling stuff! I figure I''ve spent so much money on eBay over the years that I need to sell stuff for quite a while to make up for it!
3.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I would love to sell some stuff - particularly the piles of basically new Prada and Dolce clothes that I never wear - but am too lazy to figure out how. Isn''t that terrible?

Is it easy? Should I do it?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 11:24:15 AM
Author: Independent Gal
I would love to sell some stuff - particularly the piles of basically new Prada and Dolce clothes that I never wear - but am too lazy to figure out how. Isn''t that terrible?

Is it easy? Should I do it?

Hahaha! That''s me, basically! I''ve been saying I should sell stuff on eBay for literally years but I just started last week! You should totally do it, though-now that I have, I''m on a roll! It''s so easy and it takes about 3-4 minutes to do each listing if you already have the item descriptions written up.

Here''s how I''ve been doing it and it''s working out well so far:

1. Log into eBay, go to Advanced Search and check completed listings to get an idea of the prices my items have been selling for.
2. Take pictures of items and load them onto my computer.
3. Write up all the descriptions and measurements in Word.
4. Log into eBay, upload the pictures and copy and paste the descriptions.

I''ve already made a couple hundred bucks on 2 items, so it''s definitely been worth the effort! I''m going to put my proceeds towards a MacBook Air and my Costa Rica trip!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What about payment options? Do you accept only cheques and cash? Who pays for shipping? How does one handle returns? Sounds like a lot of work....

cheers--Sharon

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have sold a few things on ebay including an LV wallet and bag, a canon camera, some pottery barn sheets and some banana republic sweaters. Just stuff I had around the house that I never used and figured why not sell on ebay.

I have definitely bought more than I have sold. It''s so addictive.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 12:33:58 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

What about payment options? Do you accept only cheques and cash? Who pays for shipping? How does one handle returns? Sounds like a lot of work....

cheers--Sharon

I accept PayPal only, the buyer pays for shipping, and I don''t take returns-all of my items are sold as is, final sale. The post office is about 1 minute from my work, so I''ve just been going there on my lunch break. Shipping seemed very daunting to me at first, but it''s actually super easy. I''ve just been using the flat rate USPS Priority Mail box for $8.95, so I don''t have to worry about getting a box, taping it up, etc. I just address the box, pop the item in and send it!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've sold about 200 things on ebay. For a year or so, I'd buy MAC items at the CCO and then sell them at markup when the items would become hot for MAC collectors. After a while the guilt kicked in though because I was selling items I paid $16 for at about $50 each, which I felt I was taking advantage of people! lol I also have sold many other cosmetic items. Whenever I buy a Clinique or Lancome item at the mall where they give the free gift, I sell the stuff that I wouldn't use (which is usually just a couple of the items) and get a bit of money back. Over time, I've become lazy and quit doing this, so my gift items are piling up on me!

Also, DH and I both have sold things around the house. DH has sold DVDs, video game and computer parts and I also have sold other little items.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 12:33:58 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Most people just accept paypal and the buyer is responsible for shipping and insurance. You just put the amount that it will cost and when they win the bid, the shipping is added to the final price.

As far as returns, you can specify buy as is, no returns accepted, no buyers remorse, or if you do accept returns, 7 day return policy, satisfaction guaranteed or your money back, etc.

As long as you are honest and don''t grossly misrepresent the item (like saying that it is in like new condition when actually it is worn out or saying an item is real when it is really fake), then there really should be no reason for the person to want to return it.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I listed a few items a year or so ago and NONE of them sold! So I got charged for the listings and made nothing off them
39.gif
There are all these tricks that you need to do to make your auction "clickable," and I guess I didn''t apply them well.

I''m thinking of selling some old(er) jewelry and DVDs, so maybe I''ll give it another go... but I''ve been having much more luck with the amazon marketplace, facebook marketplace and craigslist.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 1:06:58 PM
Author: musey
I listed a few items a year or so ago and NONE of them sold! So I got charged for the listings and made nothing off them
39.gif
There are all these tricks that you need to do to make your auction ''clickable,'' and I guess I didn''t apply them well.

I''m thinking of selling some old(er) jewelry and DVDs, so maybe I''ll give it another go... but I''ve been having much more luck with the amazon marketplace, facebook marketplace and craigslist.

You might already know this, but if you decide to try eBay again, before you list stuff I would check out the completed listings by using the Advanced Search option. I wanted to sell a few things but by using the Advanced Search I found out they hadn''t done well at all so I''m just not going to list them!

I know a lot of people have really good luck with Craigslist, though. A friend of mine has sold and bought tons of stuff on Craigslist and he loves it! I think the stuff I''m selling is better suited for eBay, but if I have anything I think will sell on Craigslist I''m going to list it there for sure.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought and sold. I sold a textbook related items for school. I like to list things through amazon too. It is fun especially since it no long sits on my shelf collecting dust, which is a great feeling to rid myself of some clutter!!
9.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
ebay also has a forums section and you can get a few tips for selling that way. When DH is selling tickets and there are a lot of other people selling the same tickets, he will pay for a gallery listing which puts his item up towards the top and puts a thumbnail pic in the search. This helps draw attention because if there are 100 of something, people will go to one of the first few.

He uses Paypal mostly but sometimes does accept money orders, but he won''t mail the item until he''s received the money order. That''s mainly for smaller things... he won''t take them for tickets or expensive items. I personally wouldn''t take anything but Paypal, but paypal has fees too, so it takes away some of the profit.

For shipping, he likes to use the machine at the post office so he doesn''t have to stand in line. Not all post offices have them but he says it saves him a lot of frustration.

For bigger items, we usually just use Craigslist, but ebay is great for items that fit in the mail and have a wider demand.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
"Whenever I buy a Clinique or Lancome item at the mall where they give the free gift, I sell the stuff that I wouldn''t use (which is usually just a couple of the items) and get a bit of money back. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I always wondered who actually did that, sell the freebies to make money. LOL. I worked at the Estee Lauder counter, where some people would come in over and over again, trying to get the gift with purchase, I told them "one per customer". Wouldn''t let them get more than one on my shift (the meanie I am). I didn''t realize that skincare/cosmetics are VERY expensive in China, and alot of students who study here in Canada, would try to stock up on the free gifts from Clinque, or other counters to bring back to their country and sell them.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve sold a handful of fine jewelry on Ebay. It served its purpose but there are a lot of lunatics on there that one has to beware of. A crazy dude bought some gold chains from me and the price was very reasonable but when he got them he flipped out because he realized he couldn''t re sell them (apparently that was his game, buying at rock bottom and then re selling) for any profit because he''d paid a fair price for them. He started sending me threatening letters (why are all the crazies on Ebay semi-literate?! I could barely read what he was trying to say!) and insisting I refund his money BEFORE he sent back the chains. I finally got fed up and told him I wasn''t refunding any money to him. I then tried to get Ebay to get him off my back and that''s when I learned that Ebay doesn''t do much of anything to help either party in a dispute, its sort of like the Wild West in Ebayland and you''re really on your own when push comes to shove.

That said, I''ve bought many cool things from Ebay and never had a problem. Sent back a few items without any issues as well. You just always have to read the reviews of people and if you smell something funny, run!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2008 4:37:47 PM
Author: beau13
''Whenever I buy a Clinique or Lancome item at the mall where they give the free gift, I sell the stuff that I wouldn''t use (which is usually just a couple of the items) and get a bit of money back. ''
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I always wondered who actually did that, sell the freebies to make money. LOL. I worked at the Estee Lauder counter, where some people would come in over and over again, trying to get the gift with purchase, I told them ''one per customer''. Wouldn''t let them get more than one on my shift (the meanie I am). I didn''t realize that skincare/cosmetics are VERY expensive in China, and alot of students who study here in Canada, would try to stock up on the free gifts from Clinque, or other counters to bring back to their country and sell them.
I cannot imagine going in more than once for a free gift set. . . I''m too lazy. . . but, at any rate I''m not selling the freebies to make tons of money as I usually only profit a few dollars per item, but rather to get rid of the stuff I wouldn''t use. I use the dramatically different moisturizing cream (and love the GWP ones), but already have nearly every GWP lip stick color (the same ones are handed out over and over), so I sell those.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I hate to say that I went to every Acqua di Parma counter in New York to get samples!

There is only one shop in London that sells it, and I wanted to get the trial sizes for FI for travelling. NY had 6 places selling it - they were so generous, I got at least 4 samples from each one. He wears the Aqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta which isn''t that easy to find.

Sadly no-one does their ''Profumo'' which is what I wear - but I got 3 bottles on ebay to stash away this year, each for under $50!
9.gif

FI wishes I would sell things on ebay - I just buy!

But I have got some amazing bargains:

A $1k dollar jacket from Mullbery - brand new with tags, for $20
1940''s Mikimoto pearls for $220 - appraised for $3,600
Padparadascha earrings for $60

I am so hooked - I actually haven''t been to a B&M shop (except to look at bling) for over 6 months. I buy all my clothes on ebay - I mean, $40 for a BNWT Hobbs Suit, why shop?

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
baby clothes...
maternity clothes
shoes

i love it too!!!

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
I loved selling stuff on eBay. I was so anal that I made eBay stickers, address labels and printed an invoice - auction #, cost and description etc... When it came to shipping, most of the time, I will get an estimate online and add $1.00 -$1.50 for packaging, gas etc... nothing outrageous like some sellers. I dislike it when sellers up their shipping charges to recover some $$ for the item - that drives me friggin'' nuts.

I mostly sold some household items, movies, cds, pc games etc... is it me or has it gotten more costly to list on eBay? I have not sold in a few years.

metro

Brilliant_Rock
I've got a good story about some shoes I sold on ebay.....

I listed a pair of size 6 Nine West pumps. I found them too stiff and they hurt my feet, so after 2x to the office, I listed them and I also listed the reason as to why I was selling them. They were really cute, but I found them far to uncomfortable.

Anyway, they sold to a guy named Steve, or something...At auctions end, he asked me if I would please wear the shoes for about 2-weeks before sending them to him
33.gif
as we wanted them "well worn" when he recieved them. Of course I said no, that the reason I sold them was because I couldn't wear them. So he then asked if I could send him more pictures of feet in the shoes, since I wouldn't wear them for him
23.gif
Hello, crazy! I looked at his auctions recently won and they were all heels in various shoes sizes.

My husband thought it was the funniest thing ever! I, however, was totally creeped out!

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 11:12:48 AM
Author: metro
I''ve got a good story about some shoes I sold on ebay.....

I listed a pair of size 6 Nine West pumps. I found them too stiff and they hurt my feet, so after 2x to the office, I listed them and I also listed the reason as to why I was selling them. They were really cute, but I found them far to uncomfortable.

Anyway, they sold to a guy named Steve, or something...At auctions end, he asked me if I would please wear the shoes for about 2-weeks before sending them to him
33.gif
as we wanted them ''well worn'' when he recieved them. Of course I said no, that the reason I sold them was because I couldn''t wear them. So he then asked if I could send him more pictures of feet in the shoes, since I wouldn''t wear them for him
23.gif
Hello, crazy! I looked at his auctions recently won and they were all heels in various shoes sizes.

My husband thought it was the funniest thing ever! I, however, was totally creeped out!
23.gif
23.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock

33.gif
as we wanted them ''well worn'' when he recieved them. Of course I said no, that the reason I sold them was because I couldn''t wear them. So he then asked if I could send him more pictures of feet in the shoes, since I wouldn''t wear them for him
23.gif

WOW. That is one of the most bizarre stories... I can see why you''d be creeped out! My DH thought it was funny that several pairs of my shoes sold to a man in London, but I wear an 11W so I think that he may have been a cross-dresser. I never thought about why else he may have wanted them. but then, they weren''t really worn either!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve sold alot of clothing on Ebay, as I am a clothing fiend and always have more than I could ever wear. It''s too much of a hassle to do it properly, though, all those measurements and so forth. Perhaps if it was my only job; to list stuff and then wait for the money to arrive, pack stuff with love and cart it off to the USPS, it''d be more enjoyable. It''s easier to give my clothes away than sell them, I''ve found.
4.gif
I am a much bigger buyer than I am a seller, though.

A word on samples: I appreciate people selling perfume samples for cheap so I can try before I buy. Though these days people get kind of rabid about it and want $2.50 for a little purse spray sample plus $2.50 shipping. Come on, now.
38.gif

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock

33.gif
23.gif

That is so freaky...although hysterical! I''ve just started selling things on Ebay, but now I''m AFRAID!!
32.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

33.gif
23.gif

EW! Two years ago I went through a vintage boot phase and was buying a bunch on eBay, so I have actually come across "well-worn" listings before and needless to say, I was completely grossed out! ICK. There were several sellers who advertised their shoe listings with "well-worn" in the title...disgusting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results