shape
carat
color
clarity

I just can''''t decide! Pears or trillions for side stones??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
Some of you may remember that my sweet hubby and I are working on designing a custom anniversary ring. We want something along the lines of a three stone, but DH and I are debating between sapphires or diamonds ... and then between pear shaped or trillions. Part of the difficulty in deciding is the lack of smaller pears/trillions to look at on the internet! My 1.02 G/SI2 AGS 000 center stone came from Quest ... I just don''t want to "bug" them with requests for stones until we have our final ring design decided on (it''s between two settings). We were thinking of stones that are about .35 - .45 (under or close to 1k each??).

I have found plenty of pears listed in the range of .4''ish, and very few trillions. My trouble is that so few of the vendors list the diamond certificates with inclusion diagrams included ... which makes it very difficult to compare stones online. There is a huge difference between my eyeclean SI2 with just one tiny feather, and then some of the other SI2''s we have seen!! I hate to request information on 10 different stones just to find that they ALL have crummy inclusions. And then, once we have the diagrams, how do we know that the dimensions are quite right ?!? I find this process to be somewhat befuddling :)

Does anyone have suggestions for a vendor who has good sources for pears and trillions in both diamonds and sapphires? Should I just give Pete a holler and stop worrying about bugging him?? Thanks for any suggestions ... and I will try to post pics of the settings we like. Best,

Jennifer
28.gif

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love this setting, and think it would look *great* with pear or trillion sapphires for the sidestones! Will try to post the other runner up .....

jensringpic16 simon g.jpg

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
OK, so I apologize in advance to whomever owns this gorgeous ring ... for swiping your picture and THEN having the nerve to not remember your name!! DH and I both love this design, and would probably use diamonds for the sidestones, most likely rounds if we went with this design, mainly because I am not sure that it would work with trillions or pears. Thanks for the inspiration!!

jensringpic26.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pears for rounds trillions for squares :}
sapphire rules but ruby is King :}
storm''s rules

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kinda agree with Stmdr ... not enjoying the trillions with Round. What about short, stubby bullets (at least they have some roundness to one end) or traps (not ideal either, but not as "busy" looking as trillions)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okey doke here is Kaleigh''s rule.......... Pears with a round. Period. Not loving the look of trillions with a round, but hey I''m biased, hehe.
31.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree -- pears with round center, trillions with square. Love both rings posted, particularly the first one.
30.gif

Finding a pair of matched pears could be difficult to do yourself. Since you already got your round from Quest (I presume is doing the setting too?), when the setting is finalized, I''d have Pete track down a matched pair of pears.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 12:53:11 AM
Does anyone have suggestions for a vendor who has good sources for pears and trillions in both diamonds and sapphires?
There are suppliers that specialize primarily in matched pairs for sidestones . Just about any retailer has access to these. So, just work with your favorite seller, and ask them to bring in some different things to look at with your center stone. The guy building the ring and/or selling your center is your best bet.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone. Pears look better with RB and trillions with PR. I think because of the angles (or lack there of). I do not know of a good source for your smaller stones. Sorry. Good luck!!! I am sure the wait will be worth it!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
RB with pears.
Trillions with squares.
Definitely agree with the others.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond pears with rounds, for sure! (I''m biased tho, since that''s what I''m getting!)

That side profile shot picture is of a Scott Kay style, I forgot who it belongs to here.

It''s kind of uncommon to get certed side stones, the vast majority are not...unless the owner is looking for larger stones (say, above .75-1 carat). Most jewelers just bring in uncerted, matched pairs from their matched pair supplier and see which ones look best with the center stone. HTH!

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of your replies! It seems that the overwhelming feedback is for pears with my round. Once we decide on pear diamonds or pear sapphires I will talk with Pete and see what he can find. What do you think of changing the tiny little diamonds in picture #1 to look more like the ones below on the right (kind of 1/2 on top, 1/2 on the side, a little larger). How large do you think the tiny diamonds are? Thanks again!

Jennifer

jensringpic.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote pears too.

Paradise

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 12:58:00 AM
Author: 4bugzinarug
OK, so I apologize in advance to whomever owns this gorgeous ring ... for swiping your picture and THEN having the nerve to not remember your name!! DH and I both love this design, and would probably use diamonds for the sidestones, most likely rounds if we went with this design, mainly because I am not sure that it would work with trillions or pears. Thanks for the inspiration!!
I think this ring is Kelly1975''s. Custom made - not Scott Kay. Here''s her link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/and-now-by-popular-demand-my-rings.33762/

Gorgeous!

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Pears!

(But then my ring is just like Kaleigh''s, so I guess that I am biased too!)

tarssarb

Rough_Rock
Neither. get a 1/2 moon. see endless love ritani

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
I''d go for pears. But I''m also secretly in love with Kaleigh''s ring.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2006 9:15:45 AM
Author: Dani
RB with pears.
Trillions with squares.
Definitely agree with the others.
Ditto. Well said.
2.gif

BTW- Gotta love Kaleighs ring with the pears. It''s classic. Like her.
1.gif

4bugzinarug

Shiny_Rock
The two settings we are pondering between are completely different looks, and I am just going NUTS trying to pick which one! Thank you for posting who the 2nd ring belongs to! It is the inspiration for which ring we are most likely going with. We will change just a couple things, like widening out the band towards the back and making it with a euro shank. I have yet to decide on sapphires or diamonds for the sidestones ... DH wants sapphires and I would prefer AGS 000 rounds for sparkle all the way across! I would like a ring for the right hand that imitates the style, so we may get either the band that Kelley1975 has, or I may get the ring below made with alternating sapphires/diamonds for the larger "middle" stones.

Thanks again for your replies!

Attachments

• jensweddingbands2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 479
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results