shape
carat
color
clarity

I found a good jewler that sells his diamonds at least 20-25% below rapport price... is this good?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
From a regular gal perspective, I will tell you that the GIA table/depth route will lead you astray. You cannot find even if it is a regular cut with those numbers alone...

I looked seriously at a diamond that was marked as an ideal cut b/c the table and depth proportions were within the range considered ideal by the vendor (62.1/54) but the diamond was SUCH a dud. Turns out the crown and pavillion % when I asked for a sarin showed a 5.8 HCA score!!!!! They were billing as an ideal cut, but the HCA indicated otherwise, and I know why b/c I saw the diamond and there was NO LIFE to it. HCA is the Holloway cut advisor(links on this site for it), and will really help you cull the duds, if you can get crown and pav angles or % AS WELL AS the depth and table%. I think any diamond professional worth their salt should either have a sarin machine, or have easy access to one.

I ended up buying a diamond from a vendor online, and got a great deal, but I did not get a true h&A diamond, I just wanted something close and something super sparkly. I found it, but not without a few missteps along the way and asking for sarin repts of something that looked like a good deal until you got all the info...and then it was not so good b/c the cut was completely off!

Also, I can say that everyone on this site is rooting for the ocnsumer to be educated and to get a good deal...but with their eyes wide open. It would be a waste of time to buy somehting that was 20-30 back of rap, only to find out you got an "OK" diamond, at best.
Listen to the expertise of all the people here...they want to help you...and when they ask for more info or warn you of certain things it is because they have seen it all a billion times before and are nice enough to share their experiences with you so you don''t have to make the same mistakes!

I think, it is all for the love of diamonds, really :)

lulubboy

Rough_Rock
i took a look at the holloway cut advisor.

however it is only for round cut NOT princess cut .. which is what i want to get.

Looking at the AGS site shows different valuves and ranges for different cuts.

dsvk

Rough_Rock
I''m in a similar situation and am trying to figure out if my "friend" is trying to price gauge me. Any idea what the Rap would be on an Asscher 1.52 G VVS1 GIA 71.10
74.00 VG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results