shape
carat
color
clarity

I dont know how to "dress down"....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
To an amusement park I would wear denim shorts, a tank top of fitted t-shirt and maybe some volleys?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
300+ pairs of $400. shoes?
23.gif

I''m sorry. I have nowhere to go from there. Yes, I do. Buy yourself a couple of $200 pairs of flats.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Unless you have great faith in a new pair of shoes you''re going to get, I''d go get yourself a good pair of tennis shoes (and socks). Nothing worse than wearing a blister on your foot just from the walk into the park, then having to endure it all day. You will be walking A LOT. Just make sure whatever shoes you wear are comfortable and will stay on your feet when danging, unless you want to take them off for each of those rides and put them in a cubby.

If you really don''t wear shorts, any kind of long pant will do. Just make sure it''s a material that breathes and will keep you somewhat cool.

I also like to wear some kind of hat to protect my face from the sun, or else I end up with some kind of sunglasses tan, even with sunscreen.

Most of all, make sure you don''t wear something you''re really attached to or absolutely love. Doesn''t happen often, but clothes can get ruined on rides. I''ve gotten some kind of black grease on my shorts before on a ride - no idea where it came from on it. Plus LOTS of people are in and out of those seats, and you have no idea where they''ve been.
14.gif
Some people like to get soaked on those water rides then come sit in other rides and leave your seat wet... yucko.

Take/wear sunscreen too!!!

If you''re worried about setting your sunglasses/hat/anything else in a cubby while you ride, I like to carry one of those Nike (or any other brand) athletic bag that you carry backpack-style. The straps are strings, and it closes with a drawstring - know what I''m talking about? You can wear those on rides and throw your sunscreen/sunglasses/tiny wallet in there - they fit fine behind your back on the rides and you don''t have to worry about setting it in the cubby for someone to steal - just don''t pack it full.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 6:03:59 PM
Author: jstarfireb
I wear jeans (true, I wear jeans with everything, but they''re still perfect!), a t-shirt, and shoes that have some sort of back (i.e. no flip-flops or clogs or slides) so you can wear them on the roller coasters where your feet dangle. Otherwise you''ll have to take your shoes off and stick them in a cubby. I usually wear a fanny pack rather than a handbag because I can also wear that on the roller coasters. There would be nothing worse than sticking your purse in a cubby and having it stolen! And remember, no earrings that don''t have backs, and make sure all your jewelry is secure if you wear it at all!

ETA: You sure you don''t own a pair of sneakers? Gym shoes? Running shoes? Tennis shoes? If you can work out in it, you can wear it to an amusement park.

Thank you ladies you are AWESOME!! Excellent advice here....looks like I have some Madison Avenue shopping to do on my lunch break!!!
9.gif
36.gif

And jstarfireb- your commet made me laugh out loud and my colleague heard me out in the hallway lol. Believe it or not, I actually dont own any sneakers. I dont work out at all or even run, so I never have had a need for sneakers. And since they arent my preference for wearing otherwise, I''ve never had a reason to buy some. Weird I know!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
looks like you''ve gotten all the advice you need, and I agree wholeheartedly
with some of the cute suggestions (ie. a polo and shorts/jeans).

But nakedfinger, if I may I have a question, as your question has completely
baffled me!
I understand wanting to be "polished" for going out to eat, or for work, clothes shopping,
socializing etc etc - but what in the heck do you wear just usually woman?!?
As in, if you''re just having a lazy day at home or exercising or going grocery shopping -
surely you don''t wear all "elegant" designer duds and 4inch heels to the supermarket?! or maybe you do...?
33.gif

I''m sorry as I''m genuinely not trying to pry or be sarcastic or anything like that,
I am really sincerely interested at the prospect of someone who doesn''t own/wear a casual day to day jeans, tee shirt and flats combo...? It just seems...impractical! lol..

I Hope you don''t mind me asking NF, I am just intrigued is all.

I hope you find a cute suitable outfit and have fun on your outing!
5.gif

LamborghiniGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
NakedFinger, I completely know how you feel!

I know it is hard to step out of the heels, even more so for me since I am only 5''3! Get some Giussepe Zanotti flats, just to have, like for the pool and beach or whatever.

AND get some Chanel sneakers, I couldn''t live without mine. Chic and comfy. They can be your Theme park rescue. Also, it may be worthwhile to embrace yoga pants, I have a bunch of fold-over ones from Victoria''s Secret. Then wear a few layered tanks in bright colors? Top it off the some nice sunglasses and a bag that sits nice on your shoulder (like Longchamp or a soft Gucci leather one).

To me, that is a nice alternative to heels that isn''t in the preppy realm of J. Crew (not really my thing, not sure about you), and doesn''t include shorts!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I would say T-shirts or polos or tank tops and jeans - those are my usual, dressed down wear. With sneakers or flip-flops, or cute but flat (or LOW heeled) sandals. If you don''t like Ts or polos, I would wear a cute top, what you might usually wear, but with jeans, make sure they''re not super dark (i.e. going out at night style), and pair with sandals or ballet flats (maybe in brighter colors).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/14/2009 9:13:12 AM
Author: HollyS
23.gif

I''m sorry. I have nowhere to go from there. Yes, I do. Buy yourself a couple of $200 pairs of flats.
mine are $30
littlebashfulguy.gif

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d go in bermuda shorts, a JonesNewYork printed cotton tee and espadrilles with a small wedge. I wouldn''t wear sandals or flipflops to an amusement park because it wouldn''t be the safest thing you could wear. I bought seven or eight Jones tees this summer in different color fun prints as something different since I always wear solids. They''re very cute.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 4:13:16 PM
Author: neatfreak
Jeans/shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops probably!
Everything minus the flip flops. If you go on any rides where you feet will dangle, the will make you take off the flip flops. If you can wear lace up tennis shoes, that would be great.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t like shorts ... capri pants are an option. Loose khaki "boyfriend" style with rolled cuffs is big this year ... very Katie Holmes.

Agree about the Gladiator sandals or some sort of sneaker. You want shoes that are SECURE on the foot - no danglers. Since you''re used to heels flats might be difficult to walk around in all day -- your muscles are stretched differently ... a sneaker with a higher arch & heel might feel more comfie after a day''s walking than Chucks or the flat sandals though.

Tops - wear two layers if you plan to go on any "water" rides. A sheer tee + giant splash of water = show for everyone!
2.gif
Cami''s are your friend.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 10:59:41 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

23.gif

mine are $30
littlebashfulguy.gif
Hm, yeah, 300 times $400 is $120,000 on shoes!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:05:04 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 7/14/2009 10:59:41 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

23.gif

mine are $30
littlebashfulguy.gif
Hm, yeah, 300 times $400 is $120,000 on shoes!
Plus tax.

Man, I really want your shoe wardrobe, NF!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you if you can afford it!

And yes, buy yourself a pair of really nice flat sandals (ETA: that are secure on your foot, as others have said) - when you can spend that much you have a lot more options. So have fun shopping!

ETA: Deco makes a good point on the cami...

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:40:59 AM
Author: Gailey
I''m hopeless at shopping, so can''t give you a thread of advice there!

But I do know feet, and honey if you buy new footwear for your day out, they are going to hurt if you are not careful. So make sure you get a selection of those gel pads for various parts of the shoe for whatever starts to rub.

I also suggest you invest in some Sperry Topsiders for future occasions. Comfy (when broken in) and go well with shorts or capris, or jeans.

I''d suggest you wear what I wear 14 hours a day, seven days a week, but I''m not sure you are ready for that level of casual just yet!

Have a great birthday day out! Don''t forget to let us know what you get and how your feet fare.

Oh how I loooove my sperry''s! They are very comfortable and I think they''re super cute!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
NakedFinger, Are you sure you want to go to this amusement park at all? I detest amusement parks, anyway, but you don't sound like an amusement park gal, based solely on your wardrobe, of course.

Amusement parks are yucky. The ground is sticky. The rides are sticky. The unattended children running around all over the place are sticky. The food could last years on a shelf and not rot.

It might not be too late to book mani/pedis and a nice brunch downtown for this Thursday. Maybe even a trip to one of those design-your-own-handbags places. I'm just sayin' . . .

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:39:26 PM
Author: Haven
NakedFinger, Are you sure you want to go to this amusement park at all? I detest amusement parks, anyway, but you don''t sound like an amusement park gal, based solely on your wardrobe, of course.

Amusement parks are yucky. The ground is sticky. The rides are sticky. The unattended children running around all over the place are sticky. The food could last years on a shelf and not rot.

It might not be too late to book mani/pedis and a nice brunch downtown for this Thursday. Maybe even a trip to one of those design-your-own-handbags places. I''m just sayin'' . . .

lol, I have to say, Haven''s idea sounds way better to me...but I''m not an amusement park gal either.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:39:26 PM
NakedFinger, Are you sure you want to go to this amusement park at all? I detest amusement parks, anyway, but you don''t sound like an amusement park gal, based solely on your wardrobe, of course.

It might not be too late to book mani/pedis and a nice brunch downtown for this Thursday. Maybe even a trip to one of those design-your-own-handbags places. I''m just sayin'' . . .
I have to say it sounded like my worst nightmare too.

But perhaps it''s somewhere that they all used to go to as kids or has some other sentimental reason.

Anyway, enjoy!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Haha Haven is right.

But if you do decide to go, the Sperrys would be a good thing for you, I think. I wear them many days a week, and they're very comfortable. Can be worn without socks, aren't tennis shoes, but are that comfortable.

Let us know what you decide - I'm very curious!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 10:29:54 AM
Author: arjunajane

baffled me!
I understand wanting to be ''polished'' for going out to eat, or for work, clothes shopping,
As in, if you''re just having a lazy day at home or exercising or going grocery shopping -
surely you don''t wear all ''elegant'' designer duds and 4inch heels to the supermarket?! or maybe you do...?
33.gif

I''m sorry as I''m genuinely not trying to pry or be sarcastic or anything like that,
I am really sincerely interested at the prospect of someone who doesn''t own/wear a casual day to day jeans, tee shirt and flats combo...? It just seems...impractical! lol..

5.gif
Haha no offense taken. I think I baffle many, SO included
2.gif
. I should clarify though, it''s more my inability to "like" anything that is casual. I can go shopping with the intent to buy a t-shirt, and end up buying 5 dresses lol. I guess I am just drawn more to more elegant stuff. To answer your question, I do tend to go out with heals more times that not (ie: to the food store, the mall, home depot even! lol), but i will wear flip flops once in a while. As mentioned, I do have some flip flops that I wear with bathing suits, so if I am really just running out somewhere, I will throw on those instead. I dont work out at all (good genes) so I dont ever have a need for sneakers. I do have tanks, jeans, etc. which is what I would wear sitting around the house. But I guess the target of my post was to help me find something that is casual and super cute (that doesnt contain flip flops, since they would fall off on the rides).

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
tshirt, shorts and a pair of runners, since amusement parks always mean a lot of walking

i don''t know how to dress up, maybe we can start a thread to help me
3.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 1:51:37 PM
Author: NakedFinger

Date: 7/14/2009 10:29:54 AM
Author: arjunajane

baffled me!
I understand wanting to be ''polished'' for going out to eat, or for work, clothes shopping,
surely you don''t wear all ''elegant'' designer duds and 4inch heels to the supermarket?! or maybe you do...?
33.gif

5.gif
Haha no offense taken. I think I baffle many, SO included
2.gif
. I should clarify though, it''s more my inability to ''like'' anything that is casual. I can go shopping with the intent to buy a t-shirt, and end up buying 5 dresses lol. I guess I am just drawn more to more elegant stuff. To answer your question, I do tend to go out with heals more times that not (ie: to the food store, the mall, home depot even! lol), but i will wear flip flops once in a while. As mentioned, I do have some flip flops that I wear with bathing suits, so if I am really just running out somewhere, I will throw on those instead. I dont work out at all (good genes) so I dont ever have a need for sneakers. I do have tanks, jeans, etc. which is what I would wear sitting around the house. But I guess the target of my post was to help me find something that is casual and super cute (that doesnt contain flip flops, since they would fall off on the rides).
May your hair turn green and fall out (just kidding)

You know the Sperrys are the thing to wear on a yacht you know.

I need you to take me shopping!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 1:54:00 PM
Author: ficklefaye
tshirt, shorts and a pair of runners, since amusement parks always mean a lot of walking

i don''t know how to dress up, maybe we can start a thread to help me
3.gif
Oh my gosh, ditto!!!
9.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
LamborghiniGirl- Ahhh you and I would get along famously!
2.gif
Excellent suggestions my dear, thank you!

Deco- Haha good point. And you are so right about flats being painful for me, its totally true. I am so used to being in heals that my calves hurt when I wear flip flops. lol

Holly, DF, and TG- Hahaha no no no! Not all my shoes are $400 each
2.gif
I def have over 300 pairs, but not every one is $400. I do have a mortgage to pay after all! LOL

Haven- Hehehe sounds like you know me already
3.gif
Yes, my sentiments exactly when it comes to amusement parks in general, especially six flags. However, my friends mean well. Although I am only turning 25, they keep telling me I am an "Old 25"....bought my first house before 21, have a successful job/make awesome money, well known in my industry, work alot go to bed early, serious relationship (almost engaged), you know "boring" lol. Far from what they and most 25 yr olds do. So they said they are forcing me to "be young and have fun" on my b-day. As I said before, I would have preferred to do a spa day with the girls or go sailing, but they said we always do spa days so it isnt anything new. I cant fault them for tryin I guess!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 10:07:18 PM
Here''s another vote for J. Crew--great, timeless, very affordable pieces.

I don''t go to amusement parks, but if I did I would probably wear J. Crew shorts with a Banana Republic tee (the BEST t-shirts out there!) and flat sandals with backs. I don''t wear backless shoes anyway, and I imagine they''re a bad idea for an amusement park.
Ditto this. I think I live in Banana Republic tees on the weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results