shape
carat
color
clarity

I dont know how to "dress down"....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, dont make fun of me....but help me dress down!

I have an insane amount of clothes. I could probably open my own store with what I have in my closet. And my shoe collection is on the upper end of 300+. I am always told that I look so "elegant" or "chic". However, I tend to "over dress" for things. Designer threads and $400 shoes dont really fit in all scenarios though. But even with all those clothes/choes, I dont have anything "casual"!

For example, my friends are taking me to Great Adventure (or for non- NJ/NY Ps'ers, Six Flags lol) for my birthday this Thursday. And my friend, who knows I am never without 4+ inch shoes, said "And remember, no heels".

Ummm no heals? It may be hard to believe, but I dont own any shoes that arent heels (with the exception of flip flops for some bathing suits). It occurred to me, that I really dont know how to dress down! So help me out ladies, what would you wear to an amusement park? (walking around all day, outside, etc).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jeans/shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops probably!

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
If going to an amusement park, depending on the day, t-shirt or a tank/light blouse, shorts or jeans, comfy shoes... I have seen pricey t-shirts, tanks, blouses, shorts, jeans, tennis shoes, etc... I don''t think it is dressing down, but I do think that it is fitting of the occasion...you never want to be uncomfortable at an amusement park!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''d do shorts (usually denim, but JCrew has some great twill shorts that I swear by!), a cute graphic tee, and some fun coloured Chucks! Flip flops can fly off, but Chucks stay on and look adorable (I have some pink ones that I adore). Plus a headband and/or cute sunglasses. But remember to have someplace you can put the sunglasses during the rides! The Longchamps Le Pliage (I think that''s the name, but I''m sure you know the ones I mean) are great because they don''t have pockets you have to worry about, and it''s not a big deal if you get them wet.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have exactly the same problem! People always commented on how smart I looked, but I always felt overdressed. I had an irrational dislike of denim and I think that was the root of my problem. I went and tried on a lot of pairs and found some great fitted jeans - so I still looked good, but denim is great for looking dressed down. I also used to have a phobia of flat shoes, until I discovered ballet flats - elegant and casual.

So my advice? Find yourself some nice denim (jeans, shortish skirts) and cute ballet flats in various colours, a couple of long cardigans in a nice light material, some plain fitted tanks, and if you''re anything like me, you''ll be good to go
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 4:13:16 PM
Author: neatfreak
Jeans/shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops probably!

Great advice NF.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I have an outfit idea, but I can''t post until later. I''ll just say it involves these shoes: Cute purple Chucks

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Sneakers or other comfortable shoes, not flip-flops. Amusement parks involve a lot of walking and a lot of climbing into/out of rides. Flip-flops are too easily lost for that -- I once managed to lose (what I thought was) a fairly secure sandal in Space Mountain, and boy howdy was that embarrassing and awkward. So my strong advice is: wear shoes that are tied on your feet.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need some LaCoste in your life.
2.gif
Or, I second the J. Crew motion. Love the Chucks idea, too.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
What I would wear: my gladiator sandals (won''t fall off and feet stay cool), cuffed denim shorts, cute boho-style sleeveless top or lightweight plaid shirt, Wayfarers. A chic girl needs some cute gladiator sandals for the summer!

Ditto princesss on the Longchamp Le Pliage bags being wonderful.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 4:51:12 PM
Author: monarch64
I think you need some LaCoste in your life.
2.gif
Or, I second the J. Crew motion. Love the Chucks idea, too.
YES! J. Crew twill shorts (in a 3" or 5" length), a bright tank top with a bright polo shirt over it, and some cute Chucks. Fun and summery, preppy, dressed up but in a casual way.

Not that I''m at all biased, what with this being the way I would dress all the time if I could afford it!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ladies! You are awesome! I am embarassed to admit, but I dont wear shorts!
6.gif
Even though I have long slim legs (about 5'6" and 120 lbs, size 1-2) for some reason I hate my legs! (I guess we all have our "things" right?) So I dont ever wear shorts.
38.gif
I guess that removes a "casual" item that most people wear.

Haha LilyKat, your comment " had an irrational dislike of denim and I think that was the root of my problem" made me laugh. I am not a fan either, which may be why I am always preceived as "dressy". I will wear them, but not my first pick.

princess- thank you. i heart jcrew
30.gif
, so I should be able to find some options there. Another embarassing thing to admit though....i dont own sneakers!
14.gif
Dont ask me why, but just never liked sneakers. And myabe cause I never dress "casual" i never needed them. But those chunks are ADORABLE! You may have changed my mind!
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
J. Crew''s twill pants are fantastic. If you don''t wear shorts (I usually don''t, but I finally said screw it, sometimes it''s too hot for pants!), and don''t like denim, they''re a great casual option. And a pair of bright Chucks are great for amusement parks. I''m not a fan of most sneakers (though I *love* Pumas in the fall), but Chucks just look happy and fun. And they add an unexpected pop to casual outfits, which can take them from blah to totally adorable.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I will also warn you to stay away from flip flops for amusement parks. On our last trip to HersheyPark, dh''s flip flop BROKE once we had gotten a good way into the park. He tried to fix it enough just to get him out of the park, but it wasn''t working, so he ended up walking with one bare foot through the park. It was sooooo gross.

If you aren''t comfortable with shorts, you could opt for a pair of capris or linen pants like these from victoria''s secret. I don''t know, denim doesn''t seem comfortable to me for an amusement park, unless it''s really light, really broken in denim, which I doubt is the kind you would be pulled to.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Khaki pants, polo style shirt, walking shoes. J Crew works, but I prefer Ralph Lauren sportswear for a classic, casual look.

Be sure to use suntan lotion!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
C''mon already, I can''t believe you have to ask this.

OBVIOUSLY the thing to wear is cut off shorts and a tube top so tight that it would create bra bulge on a twig. Make sure your shorts are also tight to create a nice muffin top.

or, daggy sweats are always en vogue.

41.gif

Seriously though, six flags here is apparently not what it used to be...I''m kind of surprised your friends who must know your love for 4 inch heels would actually want to take you there - but maybe the NJ one is nicer than the CA one.

And while I love my reef flip flops, I wouldn''t wear them to an amusement park like that...some of the rides have you dangle your feet, so you''d be losing them!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 5:38:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal

OBVIOUSLY the thing to wear is cut off shorts and a tube top so tight that it would create bra bulge on a twig. Make sure your shorts are also tight to create a nice muffin top.

41.gif

Seriously though, six flags here is apparently not what it used to be...I''m kind of surprised your friends who must know your love for 4 inch heels would actually want to take you there - but maybe the NJ one is nicer than the CA one.

And while I love my reef flip flops, I wouldn''t wear them to an amusement park like that...some of the rides have you dangle your feet, so you''d be losing them!

You can''t forget the cutoffs so short that the pockets come out the bottom!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 5:14:41 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Khaki pants, polo style shirt, walking shoes. J Crew works, but I prefer Ralph Lauren sportswear for a classic, casual look.

Be sure to use suntan lotion!
Ahhhh Fly Girl- A girl after my own heart. Nothing beats Ralph Lauren. Classic, elegant, sophisticated, and their sportswear even has just the right amount of class to make casual wear not feel sloppy
30.gif
I usally opt for that, but I tend to purchase their entire polo dress section for "casual" stuff. I would wear one, but dress + upside down rollercoaster= bad idea i think
2.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 5:38:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal

41.gif

HAHAHA TG you are HILARIOUS! I dont think ours in NJ its much better
5.gif
You hit the nail on the head I think!

I think my GF''s are just trying to make me "have fun" since I''m off work for the day. I think they know me too well, which is why they said "no heels" lol, but I think they are almost bringing me there just to screw with me lol. I''d rather go to the spa or sailing or somthing
2.gif

Nonetheless, should prove for an interesting time I guess!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I wear jeans (true, I wear jeans with everything, but they're still perfect!), a t-shirt, and shoes that have some sort of back (i.e. no flip-flops or clogs or slides) so you can wear them on the roller coasters where your feet dangle. Otherwise you'll have to take your shoes off and stick them in a cubby. I usually wear a fanny pack rather than a handbag because I can also wear that on the roller coasters. There would be nothing worse than sticking your purse in a cubby and having it stolen! And remember, no earrings that don't have backs, and make sure all your jewelry is secure if you wear it at all!

ETA: You sure you don't own a pair of sneakers? Gym shoes? Running shoes? Tennis shoes? If you can work out in it, you can wear it to an amusement park.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
jeans, shorts, capris and a tshirt..but don''t do flip flops for great adventures. If you go on a ride with no floor..you may loose your flip flops. If you have sneakers or comfy flats wear them. A comfy ballet flat with jeans will work

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I would wear this shirt with some blue jeans and this flats

Just stop in Gap in the way home
41.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Shorts (or jeans if you hate shorts), a white tee and sneaks--that''s my favorite outdoorsy look.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s another vote for J. Crew--great, timeless, very affordable pieces.

I don''t go to amusement parks, but if I did I would probably wear J. Crew shorts with a Banana Republic tee (the BEST t-shirts out there!) and flat sandals with backs. I don''t wear backless shoes anyway, and I imagine they''re a bad idea for an amusement park.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
You can still be stylish, what about a nice pair of Jeans some strappy sandals or a flat boot and a comfy (yet stylish) Top. A JERSEY TOP would be good if its hot because its comfy and it breathes.....
I Love the top I have one just like it and I always wear it when i want to dress comfy but not frumpy

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m in Jersey. I think we need to have a shopping intervention. I can have you looking perfectly casual in no time.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Magic Mountain is the only one in CA right T-Gal?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I''m hopeless at shopping, so can''t give you a thread of advice there!

But I do know feet, and honey if you buy new footwear for your day out, they are going to hurt if you are not careful. So make sure you get a selection of those gel pads for various parts of the shoe for whatever starts to rub.

I also suggest you invest in some Sperry Topsiders for future occasions. Comfy (when broken in) and go well with shorts or capris, or jeans.

I''d suggest you wear what I wear 14 hours a day, seven days a week, but I''m not sure you are ready for that level of casual just yet!

Have a great birthday day out! Don''t forget to let us know what you get and how your feet fare.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
trade you problems, i don''t know how to dress up
25.gif
well i suppose i do, i just only do so on the rare necessary occasion.

i know linen is lighter than denim, but i prefer denim shorts/capris/jeans because they can take a beating. and at least in my experience are harder to stain.

chucks are adorable but i have wider feet and high arches so i love sketchers and their thick soles. cute sneakers

they have a ton of styles, including mary janes and sandals, and all that i''ve tried have been comfortable

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:26:54 AM
Author: pennquaker09
Magic Mountain is the only one in CA right T-Gal?
Yup, as far as I know PQ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results