shape
carat
color
clarity

I can''t wait for my diamond to get dirty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Will there be a noticeable difference between the F & H color?

reena

Ideal_Rock
if you''re an eagle eye for color? probably so!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I''m trying to understand what you mean. If it''s a warmth issue you would most likely see more yellow, not more gray. I never think of diamonds as white, anyway. A snow white diamond pretty much means it''s so full of inclusions that it looks like cracked ice. A nice diamond *will* be silvery gray in indirect light, like the bezeled sides of a mirror. It won''t ever be what I think of as white.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Well, I notice that in sunlight my diamond has a dark center of gray in it when I look at it top down. I know though that it''s not a fish eye. When I''m driving in my car & there is no sunlight hitting it it looks dull & dark gray. Is this normal? Is this how diamonds are to look when there are no lights hitting it?

reena

Ideal_Rock
i agree with hest--diamonds ARE silvery-colored. don''t people always describe D-colored diamonds as looking like liquid mercury? i think that what a higher colored diamond is going to give you is LESS warmth, not MORE white. because it seems to me that the higher up the color scale you go, what you get (and what you''re paying for) is less and less color. so we''re talking absence of color here, not presence of white. does that make any sense?

anyway my diamond performs so differently in different kinds of light. i find mine looks best in indirect sunlight and artificial lighting conditions such as subways, elevators, office buildings, restaurants, etc. it looks just OK during the day in my apartment--it''s sparkly but i think it picks up the tint from my cream colored walls, or at least in my head it does, lol--and it acutally looks pretty dark in direct sunlight.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
What does it look like in the absence of light?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Like I said above, the gray has nothing to do with the color.

But in any event, here is a shot of an ideal H&A and a solasfera. Both quite dark. It is inevitable. (p.s. Pic from GOG)...

black.jpg

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
My mom's e-ring(F or G) is very silvery too. it's really aluminum foily, sometimes the mercury color, sometimes a darker silver in slices. this changes constantly depending on the light and positioning. Mine is J and gives a brighter, lighter silver in some light and more colorful sparkes in general. Her's is more white light than mine. Hope this makes sense... i have no idea what causes this difference.

Great topic though. I hope you get the effect you like best!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Most of my friends rings are literally bright white, not silvery with little to no sparkle in office lighting. Is this normal?

reena

Ideal_Rock
so, are you sure that you''re not dealing with a cut issue here? i don''t know very much about RBs, and i know you said the stone performed very well on the HCA--but i have heard people here saying how occasionally a stone that looks great by the numbers just doesn''t "perform" as it should in person. could that possibly be the problem? i don''t mean to suggest that you didn''t purchase a well-cut stone or anything, but clealy something about the stone is bugging you. perhaps that could be it?

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
Umm, I am a little hesitant to mention this.. but I have personally noticed that some types of CZ''s have a grayish quality....

Of course, diamonds tend to have the grayish look of a dull mirror under certain circumstances. For instance, when I go into a dimly lit room with the diamond I purchased, it does indeed give a shiny looking reflection... It does indeed sort of look a little gray.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if I''m experiencing the shallow phenomenom that occurs with lower scoring HCA''s. I read that at 1 to below the stone may look dark from up close. I think the next diamond I choose won''t be based on the HCA but on the size, color & price instead. Maybe I''m giving too much credence to the HCA.

What would the table & depth be for a diamond to reflect more bright light than colored light? I think that''s what I prefer.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
What is the depth of your stone?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 2:55
6.gif
9 PM
Author: rosy
Most of my friends rings are literally bright white, not silvery with little to no sparkle in office lighting. Is this normal?
Does yours sparkle more or less than theirs?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 4
6.gif
4:13 PM
Author: moremoremore
What is the depth of your stone?
It''s 60.9% depth.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
That''s not shallow!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 4:45:25 PM
Author: Hest88

Date: 12/21/2004 2:55
6.gif
9 PM
Does yours sparkle more or less than theirs?
I think mine has more colored lights. Colored lights on a darker background. Does this make sense?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Rosy, I think you have an ideal cut diamond. That is how they look. Check out Mara''s old posts. She went from a shallow cut stone to an ideal cut stone. She noticed that the shallow cut stone looked more white all the time while the ideal cut stone put off all sorts of colors and was more "alive." You might want to consider a shallower cut stone instead of an ideal cut.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
It''s funny because I thought I already had a shallow stone. It''s depth is 60.9%, table is 56% & crown angle is 34.1 degrees. Pavillion depth is 40.7 degrees. What do you make of these?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
It''s an ideal cut.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosy
you must be the only person complaining about having too much FIRE (color light).i''ll take all the fire that i can get out of a diamond.
30.gif
10.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2004 6:29:19 PM
It''s funny because I thought I already had a shallow stone. It''s depth is 60.9%, table is 56% & crown angle is 34.1 degrees. Pavillion depth is 40.7 degrees. What do you make of these?
rosy
my wife has a 1.15 ct with the same specs as yours,except the pavil is 40.8 degrees.this stone was a 60/60 and then recut by Paul of infinity diamonds.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 6:56:54 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

rosy
my wife has a 1.15 ct with the same specs as yours,except the pavil is 40.8 degrees.this stone was a 60/60 and then recut by Paul of infinity diamonds.
Do you see a big difference in the sparkle after it was recut?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2004 7:40:29 PM

Date: 12/21/2004 6:56:54 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

rosy
Do you see a big difference in the sparkle after it was recut?
rosy
yes,i can see the difference, now the stone has a lot of tiny sparkles from edge to edge.60.9 % depth is" ideal" not too deep and not too shallow,just right.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
That''s great that you had your wifes diamond recut. Maybe I just have different expectations of a diamond. I think I''m used to seeing them white because I doubt the ladies clean their diamonds often & they are generally one carat or less. I just didn''t expect to see all that silver. I guess it must be normal. Sounds like it should be silver, not white.

bluepetal

Rough_Rock
Rosy, I totally feel you here. My ring is a G AGS0. I am still miffed at why it picks up so much color, especially in my house with track lighting. I convinved myself that it was yellow for sooo long.

Most of my friends have white rings that look like snow w/ blue tint. I still contemplate upgrading to an E or F, wanting the stone to look "whiter."

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 9:34:56 PM
Author: bluepetal
Rosy, I totally feel you here. My ring is a G AGS0. I am still miffed at why it picks up so much color, especially in my house with track lighting. I convinved myself that it was yellow for sooo long.

Most of my friends have white rings that look like snow w/ blue tint. I still contemplate upgrading to an E or F, wanting the stone to look ''whiter.''
Gosh, I''m so glad that you feel this way too! I was beginning to think I was the only one here. I read on several other posts that all superideals regardless of how colorless, E or F will tend to look dark gray at times so I''m not sure if upgrading it to a whiter color will help or not. This is what I want to do too though. I may just scrap the whole superideal business & go for something right under since I don''t like the dark at all. Call me crazy but I think I''ll look for something that scores between 2 & 3 on the HCA.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/21/2004 9:34:56 PM
Author: bluepetal

Most of my friends have white rings that look like snow w/ blue tint. I still contemplate upgrading to an E or F, wanting the stone to look 'whiter.'
i think when they say a diamond is white it's like crystal bottle water (no color).. not white like milk , or snow white.

jackson

Rough_Rock
Patty, do you know where to find that post of Mara''s....? I''d like to find it............
35.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2004 10:33
6.gif
2 PM
Author: jackson
Patty, do you know where to find that post of Mara''s....? I''d like to find it............
35.gif
If you go to the "Show Me the Ring" forum, look for the post called The Forum E-RING FOLDER/Eye Candy. Mara''s original ring is on page one of the post and her new diamond is on page 12.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results