shape
carat
color
clarity

I can''t wait for my diamond to get dirty

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I''m a little disappointed. My ering looks very silvery greyish, its an H color & doesnt show up very white at all. I can''t wait for it to get dirty, then it''ll turn white & look better than silver gray. Any thoughts?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
huh? it aint gonna turn white. Dirt inhibits the light return. Doesn't make a stone look better. Sorry
7.gif
It sounds like your issue is the cut quality and not the color.

reena

Ideal_Rock
right, and besides "white" isnt the best way to describe the color of a diamond anyway. silvery gray is more like it. it might just be that you had the wrong expectation.
1.gif
don''t worry!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 4:43
6.gif
2 PM
Author: moremoremore
huh? it aint gonna turn white. Dirt inhibits the light return. Doesn''t make a stone look better. Sorry
7.gif
It sounds like your issue is the cut quality and not the color.
Actually it''s an ideal cut, scores .9 on the HCA so I don''t think it''s a cut issue.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Kewl!
36.gif
But dirt still won't make it white, just dull
7.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
The issue is you have a silver gray diamond. Kind of like a top light brown with out the brown :) Its the color issue.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 5:42:24 PM
Author: Iceman
The issue is you have a silver gray diamond. Kind of like a top light brown with out the brown :) Its the color issue.
What is a silver gray diamond? I never heard of it. Are all of the lower colored diamonds (H-I) like this?

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Rosy - where did you get the stone?

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I have an H.. the cleaner it is, the whiter it appears..

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 7
6.gif
0:25 PM
Author: TL1
Rosy - where did you get the stone?
From Tiffany. Does it matter where you get the stone?

TLS

Shiny_Rock
i was just curious of where you got it from, and what the reputation was of the jeweler. If you are not happy with it and you bought it at tiffany I would expect with their reputation they would want to make you happy. Why not trade up?

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 8:27:53 PM
Author: TL1
i was just curious of where you got it from, and what the reputation was of the jeweler. If you are not happy with it and you bought it at tiffany I would expect with their reputation they would want to make you happy. Why not trade up?
That''s a great suggestion but I like the size of the stone & if I were to get the same size in a higher color it would cost too much.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, then there is nothing left to do but love it!

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 9:21:22 PM
Author: moremoremore
Well, then there is nothing left to do but love it!
Truth is I do love it, I just wish it were in the colorless range but that''s okay because even if it were a piece of tin I''d treasure it. It''s from my sweetie!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The ring appears to be more colorless when clean (see below). This is to be expected. If even after its clean it looks grey/silvery and you''re not pleased I suppose your eyes are playing tricks on you.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it should look better clean than dirty - why do you like it with dirt on it?

To answer the question as to what a silver diamond is... There do exist silver color diamonds. As Iceman wrote, you may have a fancy color silver diamond. Hopefully you have a GIA or AGS grading report. If the stone does qualify as a fancy color then certicate should say so.

You don''t have to trade up - there should certainly be another stone of the same size and quality that could replace this one if you wish. If you''re a dissatisfied consumer, a store with the reputation of Tiffany should endeavor to make you be pleased and happy AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

Rockdoc

TLS

Shiny_Rock
that is kind of what I meant too, I didn''t mean to imply trading up to a better color grade necessarily, just possibly looking at other H''s and trading yours in for one that has a more appealing color. I have an H that doesn''t look a bit silvery and faces up very white.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/17/2004 10:55:28 PM
Author: RockDoc
The ring appears to be more colorless when clean (see below). This is to be expected. If even after its clean it looks grey/silvery and you''re not pleased I suppose your eyes are playing tricks on you.

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it should look better clean than dirty - why do you like it with dirt on it?

To answer the question as to what a silver diamond is... There do exist silver color diamonds. As Iceman wrote, you may have a fancy color silver diamond. Hopefully you have a GIA or AGS grading report. If the stone does qualify as a fancy color then certicate should say so.

You don''t have to trade up - there should certainly be another stone of the same size and quality that could replace this one if you wish. If you''re a dissatisfied consumer, a store with the reputation of Tiffany should endeavor to make you be pleased and happy AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

Rockdoc
Well when it was dirty it covered the greyish silverness because the dirt left a white film over the outside of the diamond & it''s the inside that shows the greying silverness color. The dirt that coated my diamond made it white, not clear any longer but it lessened the sparkliness. Could it be that I''m one of those girls that would choose a colorless diamond over a lower color that sparkled more?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
YOU are so lucky--I would die for a silvery gray diamond (lower color that isnt light brown or off yellow) I think they are simply gorgeous and look really antique................keep that beauty clean and love it b/c the really silvery grey ones that are H''s and I''s are tough to find!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gray tint ... but H grade ? I don''t think you''d see any gray in that one
2.gif

As far as I can imagine, it''s the rough setting that makes this stone look dark and drab. Large prongs, a closed model and unpolished metal under the stone (that gets dirty fast, btw.) would waste the nicest cut.
7.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
have we seen the ring? the setting?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"Could it be that I'm one of those girls that would choose a colorless diamond over a lower color that sparkled more?"

The two are not mutually exclusive. There are tons of superbly cut diamonds on this site H color or lower and they are not silvery gray. My own stone is an E and has the most amazing fire and scintillation. No lack of sparkle there. My orig ering was a poorly cut stone that was quite silver gray but that was b/c of the poor cut. Your stone scores well. So I think there might just be something up with your stone. If you're not happy...especially when paying that tiffany premium....exchange it.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
*deleted*..above post edited.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Rosy, does it look silvery/gray all the time? Because there have been posts here discussing how ideal cut diamonds sometimes look silver in some lights. They will look white in some lights, silvery/gray in others and they will show flashes of color in still other light.

If you are not completely satisfied with your stone, you need to pick a new one. You should LOVE your new ring...not be waiting for it to get dirty.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/18/2004 2:54:25 PM
Author: Patty
Rosy, does it look silvery/gray all the time? Because there have been posts here discussing how ideal cut diamonds sometimes look silver in some lights. They will look white in some lights, silvery/gray in others and they will show flashes of color in still other light.

If you are not completely satisfied with your stone, you need to pick a new one. You should LOVE your new ring...not be waiting for it to get dirty.
No, it does not look silvery/gray all the time only in certain lighting such as office lights. At home it looks very white, at Kmart it''s very colorful. So I guess this is okay then? If I were to pick another ideal diamond of a higher color the same thing would happen?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Rosy, I''m trying to find some of the older posts about this, but yes, I think even the highest color super-ideal diamonds look silvery/gray at times. Mara mentioned this when she went from a slightly shallow stone to an ideal cut. Her more shallow stone was white all the time but it didn''t have the colored light output of her ideal cut. I don''t think it has anything to do with your stone being an H unless it really is a cut from a silvery colored diamond, but I think that is pretty rare.

Can you post pictures of the diamond?

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah, even if you are one of those people who can easily tell the difference between a stone in the colorless vs. the near colorless range, it would seem like what you would detect would be the faintest tint of warmth, not "gray". maybe you're overthinking this.

have you posted pics of the ring?

PS-- how did you get the necessary info to run the stone thru the HCA? i dont know much about RBs so maybe that doesnt make any sense . . . but i am just curious cause i didnt think tiff's provided that kind of info. maybe they've started? that would be cool.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/18/2004 5:10
6.gif
0 PM
Author: reena
yeah, even if you are one of those people who can easily tell the difference between a stone in the colorless vs. the near colorless range, it would seem like what you would detect would be the faintest tint of warmth, not ''gray''. maybe you''re overthinking this.

have you posted pics of the ring?

PS-- how did you get the necessary info to run the stone thru the HCA? i dont know much about RBs so maybe that doesnt make any sense . . . but i am just curious cause i didnt think tiff''s provided that kind of info. maybe they''ve started? that would be cool.
Unfortuneatly I''m not able to post pics, I don''t have access to a digital camera. It''s the basic six prong solitaire in platinum.

Yes from the side of the diamond I do detect a tint of warm, it''s certainly not yellow or gray. Its when I''m looking at it from the top that I see the silver-gray.

I looked at the Tiffany Certificate for the HCA specs. On it were the necessary crown angles & pavillion depth %''s. I even went so far to convert the pavillion depth % to an angle using the mathematical tangent formula.

It''s funny but at times I can see the well formed arrows in the stone. If I had known that super ideals would look silver-gray in certain lightings I probably wouldn''t have gotten one & would have gotten a less than ideal cut instead.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for all your help on this post. I have decided to exchange the H diamond for one of slightly smaller size in an E-F color. I am going from 1.40 to 1.25. I hope the slight size difference won''t make as much difference as the difference in color. Any thoughts? Also, another question I have is what kind of difference will I see in an E vs. F color. I have come to realize that I am color sensitive & love icy white. Is F icy white enough???

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vast majority of people cannnot see any color at all in a F stone set into a ring. Only side by side with a D might a few people see the minute hint of color.

Perry

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
F will do just fine!
30.gif
I''m an eagle eye and an F has no hint of tint.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results