shape
carat
color
clarity

I bought a small sapphire....now what to do next???

TheCollector

Rough_Rock
I just came back from a store to ask about setting the stone. The price was much more than my previous quote, and the stones they'll put in the halo would be a worse colour. Wow. To top it off, the "designer" was kind of snobby...saying that my stone has an inclusion when he sees it through the loupe. It's probably true, but to be honest, I cannot see the inclusion with my naked eye, so I'm not sure I care that much. When I asked to adjust the setting to fit my existing band, I had to convince him that it is actually a problem with his existing design(he didn't believe me). This experience sort of made me a little sad about this place.... I've stroke them off my list, and will visit the next place on my list later!

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
TheCollector|1441818611|3925666 said:
Hey...thanks for sharing the link regarding the difference between single cut and full cut. From the descriptions, it's difficult to say which one to prefer. I wished there were some pictures for a side by side comparison, but I guess we don't have that. Based purely from words, I guess I value the sparkle more than the "blur" effect...so maybe full cut is for me. :) Thanks for sharing nonetheless.
Pictures? You want pictures? And I think you may have single cut and full cut mixed up. The single cut diamonds give much larger flashes of light. The full cut diamonds give more reflections, but they are much smaller which gives it a blurred effect. At least that's the way I understand it.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/full-cut-vs-single-cut.152010/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/full-cut-vs-single-cut.152010/[/URL]

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like single cuts for teeny tiny melees and full cut for larger melees. Single cuts flash and full cuts twinkle in pinpoint sparkle at thos sizes.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheCollector|1441819165|3925674 said:
I just came back from a store to ask about setting the stone. The price was much more than my previous quote, and the stones they'll put in the halo would be a worse colour. Wow. To top it off, the "designer" was kind of snobby...saying that my stone has an inclusion when he sees it through the loupe. It's probably true, but to be honest, I cannot see the inclusion with my naked eye, so I'm not sure I care that much. When I asked to adjust the setting to fit my existing band, I had to convince him that it is actually a problem with his existing design(he didn't believe me). This experience sort of made me a little sad about this place.... I've stroke them off my list, and will visit the next place on my list later!

It will all work out! Better to cross them off your list now. No need to work with them. The inclusion proves it's a sapphire and not glass, that's a good thing in my mind. :bigsmile:

TheCollector

Rough_Rock
OH... indigoblue and Chrono - yes, I got that mixed up. I think it's single cut that I wanted to choose. When we say "small" melee, I'm assuming 1 and 2 pointers are considered small. And I did find the pictures comparison. Thanks!

TheCollector

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your support StoneHunter! Good help is hard to find. :)

TheCollector

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1441385735|3923603 said:
Ask if the jewellers' insurance covers possible damage to the stone.

Enjoy having your stone set. Your stone has such a beautiful shape and color :wavey:

I asked the first company about jeweller's insurance and they said they'll cover it!!! But I need to get an appraisal first. Not sure if I should spend $ on the appraisal though, considering this was not a very expensive stone. :think:

And thanks for your complements on the stone. I've seen some of yours on other threads and yours are REALLY beautiful too. :) Eye candies.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never bothered with insurance but I have been extremely careful about who I select to set my stone. I have 2 local places but they are very expensive. I've sometimes found it much cheaper to send it off elsewhere to get it set, even when I account for the shipping cost.

TheCollector

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1441883777|3925991 said:
I like single cuts for teeny tiny melees and full cut for larger melees. Single cuts flash and full cuts twinkle in pinpoint sparkle at thos sizes.

Chrono - As I continue to search for single cuts melee(proven to be a tougher task than I originally anticipated). Could you help me understand your comment about "tiny" melee very "larger" melee? Is anything above 1 pointer considered "larger"? I'm having a lot of trouble finding single cuts... Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Half pointers or 0.005 ct = 1 mm
1 pointer or 0.01 ct = 1.3 mm
3 pointer or 0.03 ct = 2 mm

So as you can see, 3 pointers are almost double the size of 1 pointers. I like single cut half pointers but full cut 3 pointers.

TheCollector

Rough_Rock
Hello...after a long while, I'd like to report that my ring is finally made!! Thank you all so very much for your advice. In the end, I went with 2mm single cut melee in 14K. I was very concerned that 2mm is too big of a halo at first, but I actually quite like the result. The more substantial halo made it look very sparkly against the blue sapphire. :) :) :)

sapphire_12.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful result!!! Any handpics?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results