shape
carat
color
clarity

I am now after sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And wanting to buy a really nice one. Just blue, and not too dark. Not cheap and unheated. Any ideas/advices are welcomed. I never had a beautiful sapphire in my life and most of the ones I saw had a grey mask. The two that I liked most were, ah, Kashmir. So if anyone sees a nice sapphire, or has a nice sapphire, can people post photos so that I can understand how they should look online? I know monitors have different resolution and color sensitivity, but still...

I don''t even know what to look for. I know about Be-treatment and heating, but is there anything else that a potential sapphire buyer should know?
I looked at cherrypicked.com - they have a Kashmir sapphire ring. The sapphire has the exact color that I want. It is a ring and it is expensive, but maybe not so expensive for a Kashmir. How should this color look IRL? I am going to post a link in an hour or so since this old home computer won''t copy links.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I have just realized that I must be posting something I should not be posting. I wanted to tell you to go to WILd Fish gems
. Ed has a 1.51 unheated blue sapphire that is beautiful for $2,000.00

I hope this goes thru.

Annette

I just want to be helpful Admin

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 12:42:19 PM
Author: smitcompton
Hi All,

I have just realized that I must be posting something I should not be posting. I wanted to tell you to go to WILd Fish gems
. Ed has a 1.51 unheated blue sapphire that is beautiful for $2,000.00

I hope this goes thru.

Annette

I just want to be helpful Admin
He is on websites''s list - shouldn''t it be OK?

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
If you wish to ask about Moderator actions please do so directly to us.

Smitcompton, I suggest you check your email we have sent you two emails in the last 24 hours.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru,
Before looking at vendor’s pictures and etc, please research on the topic of blue sapphires first.

Decide if origin is important to you.
Decide which treatment you absolutely cannot accept plus be aware of all other possible treatments that are out there.
Decide on exactly which shade of blue (hue, saturation and tone) you are looking for.
Look around at the general price per carat on the shade and size (and origin) of stone you are looking for.

Please do NOT just jump into this with both feet first while your eyes are closed, especially since you are looking at a high priced item. Even if the vendor is well known or trusted on PS, it is ultimately up to you to do your homework. Trust but verify. For something like this, I would insist on an independent lab certification.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 12:54:06 PM
Author: Chrono
Crasru,
Before looking at vendor’s pictures and etc, please research on the topic of blue sapphires first.

Decide which treatment you absolutely cannot accept plus be aware of all other possible treatments that are out there.
Decide on exactly which shade of blue (hue, saturation and tone) you are looking for.
Look around at the general price per carat on the shade and size (and origin) of stone you are looking for.

Please do NOT just jump into this with both feet first while your eyes are closed, especially since you are looking at a high priced item. Even if the vendor is well known or trusted on PS, it is ultimately up to you to do your homework. Trust but verify. For something like this, I would insist on an independent lab certification.
Absolutely ditto to all of this.

In my experience, finding the perfect sapphire is probably one of the most challenging things I've ever done!

Most people take years to find their perfect sapphire. It certainly took me a very very long time. I'm glad I waited because I bought a stunning, stunning, stone for a fraction of the price of the ones that you're looking at. I had to compromise because I had to understand that the cut wasn't perfect and it was smaller than I wanted BUT the colour was the best I had seen and it holds its colour in every lighting condition. Take your time. Do tons of research and if I were you, I'd keep myself open regarding size, cut and locality.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 12:54:06 PM
Author: Chrono
Crasru,

Absolutely, Chrono, and that is why I am not buying anything expensive now.
I know that I do not want any treatment in my sapphires.
I know which shade I like but I just do not know how to "read" the color online.
I have looked at PPC and found out that B@M stores usually way overcharge and the cheaper ones that were offered had a definite gray mask.

The origin, is, really, not important. Moreover, I saw a very dark Burmese and I understand now that the origin itself is not indicative of anything.

I guess I have to start looking and looking and looking. I am just afraid that Be-treatment will become so advanced that it will be difficult to figure out what stone you are buying.

And, yes, definitely a certificate. Better from GIA or Gubelin. I did not like some of GRS certificates I saw. I think they are not specific enough.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if it comes with a lab report, make sure you know how to “read” it. Sometimes, they use short forms or codes or use their own scale system that might not be understandable or clear at first glance.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that cabochons are always priced lower, so it''s something to consider, cause their colors can really look amazing for the price. And since, probably, the stone you''re after has that glowy, velvety quality to it, it doesen''t really make such a huge difference in appearance if it''s faceted or not - as long as the color is beautifully rich. Star sapphires can also cost less than faceted stones of the same quality, so if color all that you want from a sapphire, I''d seriously consider those options.

Also remember that some cuts in faceted stones can often make stones look larger than they really are, and that''s particularly the case with pears, ovals and marquise cuts, so with a bit of luck you can get (optically) more for your money.

You already got a lot of fabulous advice, so I have nothing inteligent to add, except - when it comes to gems, you can never read too much info.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
One other little bit of advice, if you don''t mind: be patient (I''m not saying you''re not being patient, but that it can take a while).

Many of us searched for months to find the right one. That''s what makes them so precious.

LS

vinkalmann

Shiny_Rock
@ LostSapphire

Sorry for the threadjack, but the color on the stone in your avatar is NUTS! Could get lost in there
18.gif

Can you give us any details on the stone or point me to a link? Thanks!

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 4:38:29 PM
Author: vinkalmann
@ LostSapphire

Sorry for the threadjack, but the color on the stone in your avatar is NUiTS! Could get lost in there
18.gif

Be happy to!

The stone is Namibian spessartite, 3.62 cts, obtained through Africagems.com. The designer, Peter Lees, made an "aura" pendant of polished gold. The pendant is concave so the stone is reflected in the "aura". I am not sure that Africagems has a lot of Namibian spess.; you can check with them. I think Richard Homer does, though; or at least did 3 mo. ago.

The spessartite is SI but concave cut gives it brilliance and it looks very clean to naked eye. The color is amazing, pure orange without any secondaries, I could not capture it with my camera but it is neon orange!

Peter Lees has a website, I think it is peterlees.com but you may wish to google it first. He is very easy to work with, business-like and did not make me wait for the pendant. At all. I believe he has different types of "auras" with different stones in them.

Kismet pointed me to his website. He made a setting for her garnet. Hopefully, she''ll be kind enough to provide advises in the future since her rings are stunning!

Thanks, Kismet!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2010 5:20:09 PM
Author: MAC-W
have you read this? http://www.secretsofthegemtrade.com/chapter_22_1.htm I think you might find it useful

(oh and head over to the Who''s who forum http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=23 - You''ve got your own thread
36.gif
)

ETA: forgot to say the two sapphires that really stand out for me on Pricescope are LostSapphires and Arjunajanes. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-sapphire-complete.127835/ for the thread about AJ''s. Cant find a thread about LS''s.

Thank you for your recommendations. I have read R. Wise''s book but I shall go through this thread.

As to mine...Never saw it! I shall be happy to answer some of your questions and share opinions of a person who lived under what people here call "communism" (it had nothing to do with "sharing"; thins were distributed unequally), to answer your questions and to share my thoughts of a person who has relocated to a totally different culture.

MAC-W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 5:20:09 PM
Author: MAC-W
have you read this? http://www.secretsofthegemtrade.com/chapter_22_1.htm I think you might find it useful

(oh and head over to the Who''s who forum http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/forum.asp?forumID=23 - You''ve got your own thread
36.gif
)

ETA: forgot to say the two sapphires that really stand out for me on Pricescope are LostSapphires and Arjunajanes. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeff-white-sapphire-complete.127835/ for the thread about AJ''s. Cant find a thread about LS''s.
managed to hunt down the thread to LS''s sapphire https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-lost-sapphire-has-been-found.93860/

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 4:38:29 PM
Author: vinkalmann
@ LostSapphire

Sorry for the threadjack, but the color on the stone in your avatar is NUTS! Could get lost in there
18.gif

Hi vinkalmann. It''s a Jeff White stone, ring by Whiteflash.
Here''s the thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-lost-sapphire-has-been-found.93860/

Sorry for the threadjack Crasu. And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
35.gif

Have fun with the search Crasu! It''s a blast!
LS

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, LostSapphire, it is so... I love it. How do people find nice stones or "read" colors remains a mystery to me. It is beautiful, beautiful.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like MakingTheGrade small sapphire. Very bright.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results