shape
carat
color
clarity

I am engaged !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
So, I have some good news to share with all of you. I am engaged to be married to the love of my life.

BoldA little background for anyone interested:Bold
I met FI back in 2004 when I was thru-hiking the Long Trail in Vermont (270 miles) and he was thru-hiking the Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine. For 100 miles, these 2 trails run together. On a hurricane level rainy day in August ’04, myself and 2 of my dear friends were continuing our journey north to Canada. We stopped into the new Bromley shelter to check it out and to take shelter from the driving rain for a few minutes. This is where we met an AT thru-hiker who had the biggest backpack we’d ever seen and voluntarily shared his chocolate chip cookies with us. I was immediately suspicious because we all know that 1) thruhikers have TINY backpacks and 2) they never GIVE away food, particularly cookies. We chatted with him for a while and continued on our hike north as he was spending the rainy morning reading. Over the course of the next few days, we saw him off and on and I chatted with him during those brief bits of times. Finally, on the summit of Killington, we wished each other luck and exchanged contact information. I invited him to come hike with me over the 4000-footers in Maine in October, if he felt like hiking any more after the AT. He finished his thru-hike on October 4 and on October 6 met me at Crocker Cirque Campsite in Maine. We have been hiking together ever since . . .

BoldSo onto the proposal story . . . Bold
FI (BF at the time) and I went hiking up in the White Mountains of NH the weekend before last, April 21-22, 2007. We hiked up with overnight gear to a camp called Crag Camp. We spent the evening taking in the views and enjoying the blue skies and the gorgeous sunset. There had been a huge spring snowstorm and the mountains had been hit with almost 3 feet of wet heavy snow. There was so much snow that a 10 foot snow drift had buried the outhouse/privy/latrine. An ambitious French Canadian hiker dug it out for 7 hours. We spent Saturday night at the camp and on Sunday packed our gear up and decided to hike to the summit before descending to the car. When we got to the summit, we enjoyed the gorgeous views and talked for a bit and soon I was ready to descend but he asked me to wait a minute and then got down on one knee, presented me with my BEAUTIFUL ring, said some mushy/sentimental stuff I won’t get into and asked me to marry him. I, of course said “Yes” . . .

I am so happy, ecstatic, over the moon about this news. I haven’t had a chance to take pictures of the ring yet but will do so soon and post it in SMTR. So, I am officially off the LIW list.

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Yay!!! Congrats!
36.gif

whenharrymetsally

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations!!!!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
congratulations! What a romantic unique proposal!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yipee!!! Congratulations!
36.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys !!! It was indeed romantic and very very "US" . . . i can''t think of a place more fitting that up in the mountains and with the gorgeous weather it was completely perfect. Thinking back on the weekend, I am glad I didn''t break my neck trying to climb down into the 10 foot hole where the privy/outhouse was after it was dug out . . . I might have ruined the entire proposal. Also, he is lucky I didn''t just take off from the summit before he popped the question. I was getting cold up there after about 20 minutes.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! What a proposal! Congrats!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, congratulations!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow, fantastic - what a proposal.

Bet you came down like you were floating on clouds!

Congratulations!!!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!
36.gif

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Awww~ what a special way to meet & to propose!

Congrats!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww...that is great news! Congratulations! Hurry and take some picture of the ring for us!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I can''t wait to see the ring!

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
How you two met is the most awesome story i have heard to date! Your proposal sounds beautiful as well, i would like to be proposed to while snowboarding (something we share together).

I cant wait to see your ring and I wish you two many wonderful hiking years together :)

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, hickerchick - what a special proposal! I wish you the very best!

36.gif

-J

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bout time!!
9.gif

Congrats, it sounds like a beautiful proposal!
36.gif

Now, you know the drill.
11.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/3/2007 2:52:01 PM
Author: Ellen
Bout time!!
9.gif

You said it, girl !!!!

Date: 5/3/2007 2:52:01 PM
Author: Ellen
Now, you know the drill.
11.gif

Yes, ma''m . . .
4.gif

I was waiting to post until I could take the pics but decided I couldn''t wait anymore to tell you all my happy news. Promise to take pics this weekend and post on Monday or Tuesday . . .

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!! I love the story of how you two met, and the proposal sounds so romantic. Can''t wait to see pics of the ring!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay hikerchick!!! Loved your story. Best wishes to you both!!! Woohoo!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations
36.gif
Now it''s time to show us that ring on your finger
31.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Congratulations! And from one hiker chick to another: great proposal!

In the annals of nature proposals: I have a friend who's an avid rock climber and her guy proposed on top of a cliff. But he was so nervous on the way up and at the top (especially once he saw that there was nowhere private to take her!) that he was getting the ropes all tangled and being really weird and worked up. So my friend looks at him and says, half-joking, 'What is your f*&^$ing problem today?!?' and he starts to cry and says 'Even though you're yelling at meeee I still want you to be my wife!' and gives her the ring. To applause from all the other climbers.

Haha. Shweet. But not exactly how he'd planned it.

4.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 2:33:16 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Yay! Congratulations! And from one hiker chick to another: great proposal!

In the annals of nature proposals: I have a friend who''s an avid rock climber and her guy proposed on top of a cliff. But he was so nervous on the way up and at the top (especially once he saw that there was nowhere private to take her!) that he was getting the ropes all tangled and being really weird and worked up. So my friend looks at him and says, half-joking, ''What is your f*&^$ing problem today?!?'' and he starts to cry and says ''Even though you''re yelling at meeee I still want you to be my wife!'' and gives her the ring. To applause from all the other climbers.

Haha. Shweet. But not exactly how he''d planned it.

4.gif
Awww, that is so sweet, and sadly funny!! Poor guy. lol

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats Hikerchick!!!! Mandatory handshots please
5.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 5:57:21 PM
Author: fabcrab
Congrats Hikerchick!!!! Mandatory handshots please
5.gif
Ditto, I keep coming back to this thread hoping for some LOL!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guys, we have to be patient on the pics. She said she''d take some this weekend and post M or T.
2.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful story Hiker! Congratulations!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Can''t wait to see pics.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I took almost a hundred pictures, in the macro setting and blah . . . nothing is in focus. What am I doing wrong? I will post one blurry picture here and maybe try to take a picture under the dissecting microscope after the rest of my co-workers go home for the night.
7.gif

PS_post1.jpg

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
6.gif
that was HUGE, sorry about that . . .

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
here is one more . . .
I am so sorry for the bad quality of the pics, it really is a gorgeous ring . . .

PS_post2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results