shape
carat
color
clarity

I am a Grey, Black and Dark Blue person... Advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
I am newbie in the colored stones arena and it''s contradicting as I am not a colorful person. I''m interested in this stone and is considering to set it in sterling silver and possibly with some light patina.

Do you think that this is too dark in real life? I am probably going to have it as half bezels so that there''s light but not sure if it''s safe. It''s a spinel.

What do you think? Any comments on the stone or setting is welcome!

Thanks!

Platinum Grey GEM.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw this last night browsing Dana''s site. I''d ask him for some more pictures, so you can see it in different lighting. The spinel I got from him looks totally different to me, than it did on the website. Ask him to send it to you to look at too-I bet you''ll be surprised!

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 7:03:25 PM
Author: packrat
I saw this last night browsing Dana''s site. I''d ask him for some more pictures, so you can see it in different lighting. The spinel I got from him looks totally different to me, than it did on the website. Ask him to send it to you to look at too-I bet you''ll be surprised!

Thanks! He is gone for the weekend celebrating his 7th anniversary with his wife. I''ll drop him an email on monday then.

I was eyeing on this for awhile but was sold. Wondering if he has some rough that he might cut soon.

Platinum Blue_1.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Dana is awesome to work with and talk to! I''ve asked him about a couple of stones, and he''s always very helpful. I believe he might has more inventory than is listed on his site, so I''d definitely ask him about it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, I think he mentioned he has quite a bit more than what''s on the site.

Do you have pics of setting ideas you''re thinking of?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I really like the first one, very cool looking in that picture, do ask for more photos and show us.
9.gif

I had a medium dark stone semi bezeled set and it made it even darker, I still love the ring through.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks szh07 & Packrat. Dana is back and said that the spinel is light to medium and will take some more pictures for me by Monday.

Lovinggems Thanks! Will post the pictures once I get it from him. I saw Dan''s stone on ACS but I have a smaller budget for my first color stone. I originally asked Dana if he has a smaller rough for the first stone due to my budget constraints and he is very kind to work with me on the price.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 7:32:08 PM
Author: GoodSoul

Thanks! He is gone for the weekend celebrating his 7th anniversary with his wife. I''ll drop him an email on monday then.

I was eyeing on this for awhile but was sold. Wondering if he has some rough that he might cut soon.
Was that the plantium blue one? If so then I bought it. Still waiting for it to come in the mail. I can''t tell from your pictures if it is the same one or not. Goodluck with your search- I was also going to recommend the stone on barry''s website that someone posted above. that might be a good option for you.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I love that first spinel!!!

Who is Dana???

Lori

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 11:52:32 PM
Author: loriken214

Who is Dana???

Lori
Dana from Master Cut Gems- i believe his link is in the thread of vendors 3 sticky from the top.
12.gif

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 11:48:35 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
Date: 9/11/2009 7:32:08 PM

Author: GoodSoul

Was that the plantium blue one? If so then I bought it. Still waiting for it to come in the mail. I can''t tell from your pictures if it is the same one or not. Goodluck with your search- I was also going to recommend the stone on barry''s website that someone posted above. that might be a good option for you.

Yes!! Glad that it went to a fellow PSer. The 2nd photo is the platinum blue - "Burma Platinum Blue Natural Spinel 2.21 carat". Please do share photos and your thoughts once it comes it. Thanks!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
GoodSoul- I will let you know. I bought it on a whim because i was looking for a dark blue color but I think it might be off from what I want. I will have to wait and see. Looking back I should have contacted Dana and asked him a few question about the coloring and what not. I will let you know if I don't keep it. He says it turns more of a bright blue color in the light- it is shifter so that is also what hooked me.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 11:53:40 PM

Who is Dana???

Lori
Dana from Master Cut Gems- i believe his link is in the thread of vendors 3 sticky from the top.
12.gif
Thank you Sarah!
35.gif

Lori

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I like the blue spinel better than the grey and black one, but that''s personal preference.

FYI, I have a diamond that''s half bezel set and it does make a difference in light return and appearance.

If you like the darker colors, this Master Cut Gems color shift sapphire might appeal.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally off topic but I saw your heading and the first gemstone that sprang to mind (without even opening the thread) was Labradorite. Just wondered if that''s something you like?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 3:38:03 AM

Date: 9/13/2009 11:53:40 PM

Who is Dana???

Lori
12.gif
Thank you Sarah!
35.gif

Lori
Sarahbear - Mastercutgems is not in the list of vendors that I can see. I''ve written to Admin about this, but nothing has happened. I''m not sure why he has not been added to the list.
33.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
That is weird...below is the link if anyone wants it. I think Dana''s photos aren''t the best at all but in real life they are very nice. Plus Dana is excellent to work with.

http://www.mastercutgems.com/

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 6:35:52 PM
Author: litebrite
I like the blue spinel better than the grey and black one, but that''s personal preference.

FYI, I have a diamond that''s half bezel set and it does make a difference in light return and appearance.

If you like the darker colors, this Master Cut Gems color shift sapphire might appeal.

Thanks Litebrite. I saw this and do like it as well. I''m trying to keep it under $150 for my first color stone project. I know that really limits my options :)

I am definitely thinking about half bezel. thanks for the reassurance.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 6:49:04 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Totally off topic but I saw your heading and the first gemstone that sprang to mind (without even opening the thread) was Labradorite. Just wondered if that''s something you like?

Yep, I do have some Labradorite stuff, necklace and earrings but not ring. I do like it but was hoping to have a little more brilliance for a ring since this is spinel. Thanks.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out D&J Rare Gems? They''ve got several stones that I think might be of interest to you.

They have a dark grey spinel (#16287) in your price range that looks nice.

They also have a topaz (#14590) that they say is colorless/silver, and looks very much silver to me.

There’s also a grayish/purplish spinel (#15714)

A medium dark violet spinel (#15617)

greyishstones2.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I was browsing around and came across this sapphire that I think might be of interest to you as well.

greysapph.jpg

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Wow AustenNut!! Thanks for posting those spinels!!!

I do adore #16287 although I can''t find it from their site right now.

Sorry for the late response as I was away on a trip and just got back recently.

I did purchase the original platinum gray spinel and will see how it turn out when I receives it.

Thanks again!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
No worries, GoodSoul. Just post pictures when you get your stone because I''m quite curious to see what it looks like in real life. Hope you had fun on your trip!

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
I received the stone!! Dana sent two gift stones as well. He is not only patient with me but is very generous as well. He sent a pair of 6 x 4 lavender spinels with it!! I will definitely buy from Mastercutgems again.

Seriously, I wasn''t sure what to expect as the original photos looks really dark and the subsequent pictures sent by Dana were not as dark.

This is my first colored stone and is not sure on how a colored stone performs in different lights or when handled differently.

My camera is picking up more blue than there is in real life. It''s definitely a gray stone with some blue in some lighting.

Gray_Black_Blue.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are all 3 pictures of the same stone? Try taking an outdoor picture of it on the back of your hand. Natural lighting usually helps in taking accurate pictures.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
yes, it's the same stone. I am clearly a novice in this
8.gif
. Taking pictures of this is hard!! Here's the color comparison first.

Let me go out to take more pictures per your recommendations.

Thanks!

*it's more gray like the left picture IRL but more transparent like the right picture.

Color Comparison_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need more light; the background appears dim and I think your camera is causing a head obstruction, making the stone look terribly dark and unattractive.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
It''s a little overcast here and here''s one outdoor shot on the back of my hand.

This is very close to what I see IRL.

Thanks Chrono!

Outdoor_1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re welcome. It looks MUCH nicer than the original pictures and I can see some brilliancy within the stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results