shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you rate this included Orange Sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/18/2010 9:37:48 PM
Author: Nacre
Morecarats, can you see crackle quenching flux healed here?

Those veils look very chicken wirey to me...

Chictomato, it would be great to hear back from you if it''s a synth or nat Be treated!
Sure Nacre I will certainly post the result when I get it!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI there I am back from the Gem Lab! This is certified as a natural 5.33 cts yellow sapphire, heated with light element (or be-treated). I was told by the Gemologist that it is not as worthless as I thought, in fact is of a good color, but well its included.. though not too obvious:) He mentioned the be-treated is accepted in the trade as per heat- treated. The pricing is the same. Is there so? Okay, I had it mounted in a calibrated silver ring setting and here are the picts. Can someone advise how much will a ring like this cost in the current market? TIA!

Photo0915.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hope you can see the translucent swirly inclusion here

Photo0922.jpg

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2010 8:40:43 AM
Author: chictomato
HI there I am back from the Gem Lab! This is certified as a natural 5.33 cts yellow sapphire, heated with light element (or be-treated). I was told by the Gemologist that it is not as worthless as I thought, in fact is of a good color, but well its included.. though not too obvious:) He mentioned the be-treated is accepted in the trade as per heat- treated. The pricing is the same. Is there so? Okay, I had it mounted in a calibrated silver ring setting and here are the picts. Can someone advise how much will a ring like this cost in the current market? TIA!
VERY pretty sone and ring! It looks beautiful set!!!
I do have a problem with the highlighted though. BE treatment is accepted as long as its disclosed...but it dramatically reduces the price of a sapphire. A sapphire your size treated by just heat would be worth THOUSANDS more then it is as a BE sapphire. I am a little bit concerned that a gemologist told you that the pricing is the same...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BE-treatment renders stones very little value unfortunately. What it does is essentially takes a very bad colored stone (think of something looking like charcoal) and makes it orange, or some other more desirable color, like blue. They can make orange sapphires by the boat load with this treatment. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
8.gif
Almost all orange sapphires on the market on BE-treated, and when I first saw this thread, BE-treatment was the first thing that came to mind for me.

As for it being acceptable in the trade, I'm afraid gentle heating is a much more acceptable practice. It is pretty though, and I hope you get much enjoyment from it. RH is correct that it would be worth literally thousands more if it was gently heated to produce that color.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/27/2010 9:17:29 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
BE-treatment renders stones very little value unfortunately. What it does is essentially takes a very bad colored stone (think of something looking like charcoal) and makes it orange, or some other more desirable color, like blue. They can make orange sapphires by the boat load with this treatment. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
8.gif
Almost all orange sapphires on the market on BE-treated, and when I first saw this thread, BE-treatment was the first thing that came to mind for me.

As for it being acceptable in the trade, I''m afraid gentle heating is a much more acceptable practice. It is pretty though, and I hope you get much enjoyment from it. RH is correct that it would be worth literally thousands more if it was gently heated to produce that color.
Hihi tks for the input! YES, from my research its pretty much the same theory as yours:) Thus I posted a question on this. No problem at all, it was free and was not view as a valuable piece since the beginning, hence the silver setting that cost only USD 8.99 heehee (but I have to say that the setting is well-done-from ebay)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree with the others that there is a huge price difference between heat only and BE diffused stones. That said, it looks great in the setting and you got it for free so I wouldn''t sweat it. Enjoy wearing that honker of a stone.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it much better in it''s "real life" photos than thru the scope. The color is OK by me. The cut and inclusions would bother me but not for free. And I think it does make a cool ring.

Congrats and Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results