shape
carat
color
clarity

How will you (or did you) tell everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
My mom keeps saying all the girls at her gym keep asking about me getting engaged. Its become this thing that they keep asking her, and say "NOT YET!!" "How about today???" etc etc. LOL

So my mom keeps saying "I'm going to get a tshirt made that says 'SHE GOT THE RING!', and wear it to the gym when you get engaged. Everyone is going to be so excited".

So it got me thinking, will you or did you do anything cute/creative/funny to tell people you were engaged? Or did you just call them? I think I'll be too excited to wait for any special moment but I think it would be funny to tell people (esecially my mom! lol) in some goofy/special way.

CristinaRuns26.2

Rough_Rock
I think we''ll just call our close family and friends. News travels fast in my family, so I''m sure my mom and grandmother will be on the phone in no time, spreading the word
1.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I just told them.

Me: "Guess what?"
Them: "What?"
Me: "We're engaged!"
Them: "Finally!"

Well actually most people said, "Yay!" "Congratulations!" or something along those lines. But honestly, everyone was expecting it that it just wasn't that much of a surprise. His family and my family knew he had the ring. The rest of our families knew it was just a matter of time. I think I was the most surprised of anyone, truth be told.

eta: Oh! and a lot of it was word of mouth. I only physcially told my closest family and friends. Everyone else heard through the grapevine.

ringless

Shiny_Rock
We''ll probably call our immediate families first, and then close friends know (those who we anticipate having in our bridal parties). But I have a fun way of asking my the friends I want to be bridesmaids which wont be on the phone, so I''m looking forward to that :)

tlh

Ideal_Rock
i live 1500+ miles away from close friends and family, so I called them and yelled we''re engaged!

everyone else saw the left ring finger was no longer nekid and knew....
9.gif

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
I took a picture of my hand on my blackberry and texted it out to all my friends..and then my phone was ringing off the hook! it was cute...the phone would ring and I''d say a nonchalant "hello?"
31.gif
and they''d be like "WHAT???WHAT???ARE YOU ENGAGED???OMG!!!!"

fun.
2.gif

ringless

Shiny_Rock
Wishful that is too cute!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve been threatened with death and numerous forms of torture if i don''t tell my friends within a few hours of getting engaged, so i''m planning on a nice simple text that gets sent to most of my phone list at once and calling my family. whoever doesn''t hear about it that way will just have to wait til my facebook gets changed
25.gif

as for his mom and family we''ll probably call and say we decided to go ahead and elope and we''ll be in vegas in about 10 hours. she won''t believe us this time, but it''s so much fun to tease her
12.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
We had a Christmas party planned, and both of our families were there. We announced it there, which was 5 days after the proposal. I''m surprised we actually kept it in that long! But it was really fun to have everyone there.
5.gif

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 2:10:44 PM
Author: Squirrly
i''ve been threatened with death and numerous forms of torture if i don''t tell my friends within a few hours of getting engaged, so i''m planning on a nice simple text that gets sent to most of my phone list at once and calling my family. whoever doesn''t hear about it that way will just have to wait til my facebook gets changed
25.gif

as for his mom and family we''ll probably call and say we decided to go ahead and elope and we''ll be in vegas in about 10 hours. she won''t believe us this time, but it''s so much fun to tease her
12.gif
Haha Ditto with my mom. She is like "you need to call me the second it happens." And the other day she was like "On second thought, dont even bother calling me, just come over immediately. I am going to want to see that ring right away!" lol

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
I did what wishful did. I called my parents first, then pic messaged the pic to all of my pals. Then, the calls happened for hours afterwards!!

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 2:17:11 PM
Author: NakedFinger
Date: 5/18/2009 2:10:44 PM
'On second thought, dont even bother calling me, just come over immediately. I am going to want to see that ring right away!' lol

i'm lucky in that it probably won't happen anywhere near my friends and family so i'll avoid the "get over here right now" calls, those'll happen once i'd get back in town though. i don't have a camera phone so i'll be getting a lot of "pictures. facebook. now." texts...

wonder if i'd get in trouble if i turned off my phone after the mass "i have a shiny" text?
31.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....

Well, I''d have to text my parents and ask them to call, but they''d probably already know since I told BF it would mean a lot to me if he''d ask for their blessing first.

My friends? I can see myself casually calling my BFFs and telling them about how sweet BF was, and how he bought me this really pretty present for no good reason, and how it''ll be living on my left ring finger forever. More accurately, I can see myself TRYING to act all casual, but freaking out and getting super excited and having to leave a voicemail because they didn''t pick up the phone because they''re at work or it''s too early in the morning on the West Coast to pick up the phone.

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
My FI and I drove over to my Mum and Step-dad''s house the day after I got the ring. I had put it back inside the ring box, then inside the cardboard box. I walked in, didn''t say anything about it, kept my face as straight as possible then just said,

"Oh yeah Mum, I got a present from ''...'', want to see?"

and handed her thebox. She looked a bit puzzled, opened it up, saw the ring box and she looked back to me with her jaw almost on the floor. Then she opened the box and boy did her eyes light up. She had to ask us a few times if we were serious...then she gave us both huge hugs.

With his parents we just showed them the ring when they got back from their holiday. They were less enthusiastic. Haha.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were in Spain so we rang everyone from there. It was so much fun ringing everyone and telling them!

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
We more or less decided to get married...kinda like most people decide what to eat for dinner. There was an intimate discussion but there was no getting on one knee with a ring. A few of my close friends knew what was going on but we kept it quiet for quite awhile. A few months after we made the decision to get married, FI slipped and called me his fiance which caused a few questions and we ended up letting the cat out of the bag. People found out very gradually.

Same with my ring. A few of my very close friends knew about it in advance as I sent them blury photos from my Blackberry before it was taken to be sized. I''ve let everyone else figure it out just by noticing my usual Tiffany''s band has been replaced by something much more shiny
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I told my parents accidentally. I wanted to wait until my dad was home so I could tell them both at once, but I had to call my mom about something unrelated (this was the day of the proposal), so I figured I just wouldn''t say anything on this phone call. Toward the end she asked about engagement semi-casually, don''t remember the exact wording, and I got a bit awkward over it and had to tell her. She said, "Oh, musey, that''s neat."
20.gif
3.gif
I told her to not tell my dad and have him call when he''s free.

I didn''t actively ''tell'' anyone else, just let them notice the ring (which was always a fun moment!) or hear through the grapevine. I didn''t tell anyone our proposal story, though, I hated talking about something so private!

b.anna

Shiny_Rock
i think telling friends and famly is the best part after the proposal of course, especially if they''re waiting and are supportive. my parents are very excited for us, as our friends are. i have one friend in particular who is dying for me to get engaged, and she has been asking me every week, and even more so since the ring is coming soon. so she will be the first to know, then family and friends :)

i love the idea of taking a picture and sending messages! i couldn''t imagine the number of phone calls i''d get!
9.gif

CNYHopeful

Shiny_Rock
This is a good question. Ilike the t-shirt idea, wish I had thought of it!

While I had an image in my head of how I would react and share the news, the moment FI got down on one knee, everything was a blur. We called my parents while going to his house to "pick up some tickets he forgot" (little did I know that his family and some of our mutual friends were gathered for a surprise engagement party). So, his side was sort of all in on it and we had a blast.

My whole family is in another state and I had not planned to see them for another month, so phone calls were the only appropriate way to share the news. I got on the phone and called my all my brothers, my sister, closest cousin and my best friend that night. The rest of my friends I just called through the next couple of days. So, nothing too out of the ordinary.

When FI and I went to Mass the next day, I asked the priest (who''s my boss) to bless the ring and he goes, "Hey, congratulations! Why didn''t you stop me during the homily and go on up there and say, ''hey everybody, I woke up with this really sparkly stone on my finger! Check it out!''" A bunch of the teens in the youth group noticed it from 200 ft. back and they came running up to us right afterwards(these high school girls have a diamond radar programmed into them, I swear!) I guess I''ve always been a more reserved person so I wouldn''t find hamming it up so natural. FI on the other hand, is great in the spotlight :)

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
We called everyone on the phone but for the love of us we couldn''t get ahold of one of my sisters and we kept trying to skype her all night (shes usually on her computer) it was fun doing it via video!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
We called our parents, even though they knew it was happening. Then I texted a snap shot of my ring to my girlfriends, word spread. Lastly I changed my status on facebook and that pretty much did it.

Sunshinegirl77

Rough_Rock
I plan on a text saying "he went to jared" with a pic included.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 4:50:46 AM
Author: Sunshinegirl77
I plan on a text saying ''he went to jared'' with a pic included.
*giggles*

i plan on calling a few select people, texting a huge crowd and again, FB. not that, thats how i communicate, but becuase i will be damn proud.

mrm

Shiny_Rock
I know this wasn''t the main point of your post but I think you should tell your mom by wearing a shirt that says "I got the ring" :)

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:35:59 AM
Author: mrm
I know this wasn''t the main point of your post but I think you should tell your mom by wearing a shirt that says ''I got the ring'' :)

Haha thats so cute! I totally should! She''ll freak out
36.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 8:35:59 AM
Author: mrm
I know this wasn''t the main point of your post but I think you should tell your mom by wearing a shirt that says ''I got the ring'' :)
Hahah, that''s great!
9.gif

Since J proposed the night before we flew back to the US to see my family and friends for the first time in a year, it was AWESOME that I got to tell all my favourite people in PERSON!!! Best trip ever--we had so much fun telling everyone and celebrating in various ways.
1.gif

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
I called his sisters right afterwards and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hey guys, I''ve got some bad news.
Them: OMG what? Is everything okay???
Me: I''m going to have to start calling your dad my father-in-law.
Them: (brief pause followed by loud squealing)

I called my best friends and told them and they were excited, unfortunately my grandma and brother really didn''t seem to care one way or the other but my mom started crying. We had been dating for almost 8 years though, so it wasn''t a big surprise to anybody. His friends also knew already that he was going to propose that night (he''d had the ring for almost a year). Otherwise people just noticed the shiny thing on my finger and asked about it.

Squirrly

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 5:22:50 PM
Author: NuggetBrain
I called his sisters right afterwards and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hey guys, I''ve got some bad news.

Them: OMG what? Is everything okay???

Me: I''m going to have to start calling your dad my father-in-law.

Them: (brief pause followed by loud squealing)

31.gif
i liiiike not that i would ever consider doing something like this
12.gif

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
The first thing we did was to change the facebook status lol, then I called my parents
9.gif

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea of sending a pic of the ring on your hand in a text to friends! Haha, my FF has joked that I''ll be on the phone before he''s even finished proposing (and he''s probably right!).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results