shape
carat
color
clarity

how to read the color of Finewater''s sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want something like LostSapphire has. She bought it from Jeff White. Gary Braun posted a sapphire at his website - I think everyone has seen it, it is 3-ct unheated Ceylon sapphire. I want to know, is the color comparable to what LostSapphire has? I never bought from Gary and want to know how his stones look IRL.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a question best posed to Gary himself via an email or telephone call. You can attach a picture of Lost Sapphire’s stone as a colour reference.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Chrono. I shall do it.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I can tell you generally that Gary''s photographs are very representative of what you''ll see IRL, too.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
WoW Crasu, I'm flattered!

Good luck with your search. Here is a pic I had posted over on another thread. It's a different angle of the sapphire. I have some at home with the stone unset, and before Jeff White recut it. Might help you with your comparison. Will post those tonight.

In the meantime, here's my new fave pic below>>>>

LS

ETA: Yikes sorry it's so big. (the pic, not the stone!
31.gif
)

LSFoo302.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Just another thought: why don''t you e-mail Jeff White?

He''s a sweetie.

LS

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, LostSapphire''s lovely stone is precision cut whereas Gary''s is not. I don''t know if that would bother you or not, but it''s something that will make it look different than LostSapphire''s.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Crasu, here are a couple of before and after pics. (I hope they''re not huge, I''m guessing when resizing....)

What helped me with the colour, was that Jeff White took some pics of the stone on his hand, in daylight.

Maybe Gary can do that for you, so you have an idea of what it really looks like, instead of in professional lighting.

Hope this helps.

LS

Foo316.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2010 7:08:27 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Crasu, here are a couple of before and after pics. (I hope they''re not huge, I''m guessing when resizing....)

What helped me with the colour, was that Jeff White took some pics of the stone on his hand, in daylight.

Maybe Gary can do that for you, so you have an idea of what it really looks like, instead of in professional lighting.

Hope this helps.

LS
I should add, that the middle pic of the 3 side by side photos looks green/grey on this monitor. I think the pc faeries got a hold of that .jpeg file, as my original is blue like the other 2...
LS

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2010 8:19:21 PM
Date: 2/18/2010 7:08:27 PM

Hope this helps.

LS

I should add, that the middle pic of the 3 side by side photos looks green/grey on this monitor. I think the pc faeries got a hold of that .jpeg file, as my original is blue like the other 2...

LS

I think they work on my files too because colors get messed up when I upload my pics as well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lost Sapphire what color did the vendor describe that stone as? Camelot? Royal Blue? etc

Thanks, as you know it is just STUNNING!!
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2010 3:12:21 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Lost Sapphire what color did the vendor describe that stone as? Camelot? Royal Blue? etc

9.gif
Words like royal blue or camelot blue can mean different colours to different people. I prefer to use the GIA colour scheme of hue, tone and saturation to describe a particular shade as in B5/5 which is pure blue of medium tone and strong saturation. If it has a hint of violet, it might be slvB5/5.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 3:16:05 PM
Author: Chrono

9.gif
Words like royal blue or camelot blue can mean different colours to different people. I prefer to use the GIA colour scheme of hue, tone and saturation to describe a particular shade as in B5/5 which is pure blue of medium tone and strong saturation. If it has a hint of violet, it might be slvB5/5.
Jeff White told me it was blue
3.gif

(sorry couldn't resist that one!) We used the chart from the Cross Jewelers website (which no longer loads, unfortunately). I gave him a range of where I wanted it to be, and trusted his eyes. We then did comparisons of different blues online, so we could see what kind of variations came up on our pc monitors. At the end of the day, I had to trust his instincts. And he worked within the ranges I had given him.

I tried to remember that this was a stone that came out of the earth. If I tried to be too controlling or precise, I'd never be happy. So (and against my usual nature) I trusted his much more experienced eye for quality.

Did I say I loved it?
emlove.gif

The one on Finewater's website looks beautiful to me. But I'd need to be in contact with the vendor, look at 'non-pro- pics on his hand, outside on a sunny and a cloudy day...it's almost as if the relationship with the vendor needs to be developed to where you each trust each other's instincts..

LS

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 9:15:08 PM

9.gif
3.gif

(sorry couldn''t resist that one!) We used the chart from the Cross Jewelers website (which no longer loads, unfortunately). I gave him a range of where I wanted it to be, and trusted his eyes. We then did comparisons of different blues online, so we could see what kind of variations came up on our pc monitors. At the end of the day, I had to trust his instincts. And he worked within the ranges I had given him.

I tried to remember that this was a stone that came out of the earth. If I tried to be too controlling or precise, I''d never be happy. So (and against my usual nature) I trusted his much more experienced eye for quality.

Did I say I loved it?
emlove.gif

The one on Finewater''s website looks beautiful to me. But I''d need to be in contact with the vendor, look at ''non-pro- pics on his hand, outside on a sunny and a cloudy day...it''s almost as if the relationship with the vendor needs to be developed to where you each trust each other''s instincts..

LS
This is, without doubt, the best piece of coloured stones advice I have ever read. Well said Losty.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 9:42:22 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 2/19/2010 9:15:08 PM

9.gif
3.gif

(sorry couldn''t resist that one!) We used the chart from the Cross Jewelers website (which no longer loads, unfortunately). I gave him a range of where I wanted it to be, and trusted his eyes. We then did comparisons of different blues online, so we could see what kind of variations came up on our pc monitors. At the end of the day, I had to trust his instincts. And he worked within the ranges I had given him.

I tried to remember that this was a stone that came out of the earth. If I tried to be too controlling or precise, I''d never be happy. So (and against my usual nature) I trusted his much more experienced eye for quality.

Did I say I loved it?
emlove.gif

The one on Finewater''s website looks beautiful to me. But I''d need to be in contact with the vendor, look at ''non-pro- pics on his hand, outside on a sunny and a cloudy day...it''s almost as if the relationship with the vendor needs to be developed to where you each trust each other''s instincts..

LS
This is, without doubt, the best piece of coloured stones advice I have ever read. Well said Losty.
Thanks Gailey.
LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LS,
Jeff is very familiar with the GIA Munsell colour chart and will use it if requested. If you ask him to describe your sapphire using that scale, he will be able to give you information based on the tone, hue and saturation.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 9:56:15 PM
LS,
Jeff is very familiar with the GIA Munsell colour chart and will use it if requested. If you ask him to describe your sapphire using that scale, he will be able to give you information based on the tone, hue and saturation.
Thanks Chrono, I''m sure he does!

I have my stone already, was just describing what was a fun experience for me. When I bought the stone I was quite a newbie and he was so patient in working with whatever parameters I needed to feel comfortable.

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff is wonderful to work with an extremely patient. I''d love another opportunity to work with him should the right material pop up, so I know it must have been great for you as well. My intention, or hope anyway, is that you consider asking Jeff to describe your stone per the GIA colour chart so as to assist Crasru in knowing exactly what shade of blue to look for. If she explains it to the vendor, he/she will have a better idea in addition to the picture you have kindly shared.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 10:17:21 PM
Jeff is wonderful to work with an extremely patient. I'd love another opportunity to work with him should the right material pop up, so I know it must have been great for you as well. My intention, or hope anyway, is that you consider asking Jeff to describe your stone per the GIA colour chart so as to assist Crasru in knowing exactly what shade of blue to look for. If she explains it to the vendor, he/she will have a better idea in addition to the picture you have kindly shared.
OOH, now I get it. Sorry, my brain is a bit thick tonight!

Good idea. Let me e-mail him. Don't you think he'd have to have the stone in front of him to find the colour?
ETA: I emailed a few of his own pics back to him, plus the original cert. Should help.

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He seems to have a fairly good memory of what he cuts, especially if the stone is "famous".
9.gif
If you still have the original picture and his item number, I'm fairly sure he'll remember the colour quite accurately. Cutters tend to know their stones very intimately, more so than a vendor who only sells them.

ETA
Just read you addition. I'm sure the information you provided will be extremely helpful. Thank you for agreeing to my request.
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 10:25:45 PM
He seems to have a fairly good memory of what he cuts, especially if the stone is 'famous'.
9.gif
If you still have the original picture and his item number, I'm fairly sure he'll remember the colour quite accurately. Cutters tend to know their stones very intimately, more so than a vendor who only sells them.

ETA
Just read you addition. I'm sure the information you provided will be extremely helpful. Thank you for agreeing to my request.
1.gif
Thanks. Crasru: hopefully, this might help. Sorry to threadjack but in the end, we may get you what you need!

LS

ETA! whoo hooo hang on a sec: I think he put that information on the Gemscoop ad where the stone was initially posted! Let me see if I can dig that up.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Chrono:
I didn't find anything on my Jeff White stuff, but here is what my appraisal says. Perhaps you can translate for Crasru? (all I know is that it's blue and I like it!)

Clarity Vs
Type II
medium dark, vivi, blue colour GIA B 6/6

LS

OH! I think I found it: http://www.allaboutgemstones.com/colored_gemstone_grading.html

Chrono, is this what I should be looking at?!

How exciting, I learned something today.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2010 10:39:04 PM

Clarity Vs
Type II
You found it!
36.gif
Thank you so much.
B6/6 = pure blue with medium dark tone and vivid saturation
It doesn''t get better than that. Gorgeous stats!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 10:48:18 PM

Clarity Vs
Type II
You found it!
36.gif
Thank you so much.
B6/6 = pure blue with medium dark tone and vivid saturation
It doesn't get better than that. Gorgeous stats!
whooeee so that's even better than just saying I like that colour, right?
2.gif

Crasru, there ya go! Call Gary!

LS

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Losty, I''ve always admired your stone, and your ring! I think it was made before I began posting often, so I just wanted to chime in and tell you that its beautiful (not that you didn''t already know!)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2010 10:55:56 PM
Author: IndyLady
Losty, I've always admired your stone, and your ring! I think it was made before I began posting often, so I just wanted to chime in and tell you that its beautiful (not that you didn't already know!)
thank you IL for your kind words. I'm making it my mission to help Crasru get one she loves as much as I do mine!

(that makes me an enabler, yes, Crasru? Go ahead, diagnose me, I can take it!).

LS

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am the first and foremost super-enabler. But I do want to get a nice sapphire and sent Gary an e-mail.
Thank you all. Special thanks to LS and Chrono - for the chart. I am going to use it.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
your stone, Lost sapphire, is just awesome..that pic of the loose stone in the fingers is sweet..the color jumps out at you

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono:
I didn''t find anything on my Jeff White stuff, but here is what my appraisal says. Perhaps you can translate for Crasru? (all I know is that it''s blue and I like it!)

Clarity Vs
Type II

LS

OH! I think I found it: http://www.allaboutgemstones.com/colored_gemstone_grading.html

Chrono, is this what I should be looking at?!

How exciting, I learned something today.
Gemewizard.com had a free tool you could use to evaluate color, but they stopped making it free.
29.gif
I''m so bummed.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2010 1:18:39 AM
Author: crasru
I am the first and foremost super-enabler. But I do want to get a nice sapphire and sent Gary an e-mail.
Thank you all. Special thanks to LS and Chrono - for the chart. I am going to use it.

36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results