shape
carat
color
clarity

how often do you talk to your mom?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Almost everyday. She''s the cutest thing ever
9.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I live about 50 miles away from my mom. We talk on the phone about once or twice a week and I try to see her about once a month. We''re very close, and I hope I''ll see her often when the little one is born so she can help!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
My mom and I talk about once every two weeks. We live about 3500 miles apart, with me being 5 hours ahead of her time zone wise. We tend to have marathon phone conversations when we do talk, since we go a while between chats, and we both are rather good at talking.
3.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Hm, I'm naturally closer to my dad, who I talk to every day. If I don't talk to him every day, I have to call him to make sure he's okay.

My mom? Probably a few times a week. It's been more since I got pregnant, as she wants to make sure I'm okay (which is fine) and taking my vitamins (which is very annoying).

ETA: My mom lives about 10 minutes away, and my dad lives up the street. It's usually easier to see them than talk to them.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
About once a week...I think it's great that many of you ladies feel so close to your moms and talk to them often (and actually enjoy talking to them!)...I love my mom, but we have a strange relationship. We get along fine, but our conversations are superficial, I guess we're not what you would call "close". She's 84, and usually does all the talking. When I start contibuting to the conversation, she cuts me off and says " Oh, ok, well, I guess I'll talk to you soon." She's a pip. I know she loves me very much, she is just not a warm and fuzzy kind of person.

On the other hand, my daughter is in college, and we talk every other day or so. I try to listen and not monopolize the conversation, because I want her to enjoy talking to me!

ETA: My brother lives with my mother, I would certainly call her more often if she was by herself. Didn't want everyone to think I would only check on my 84 mother once a week!!!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
My mom and I talked every day when she was alive. She lived 15 minutes away and I saw her once or twice a week. She was my best friend.

My MIL is 89 and lives alone and I gently remind my husband to call her every day just to check in and see that she is okay. He is an only child and used to call her just once a week. The daily phone calls make her day and she always tells me what a wonderful and thoughtful son she has.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Twice a day very minimum. During the weekend, probably 6 or 7 times

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Eh, we''ll send Fbook messages maybe once a week, and we talk on the phone once every two weeks (on average - sometimes once a week, sometimes once a month). Phone calls are about an hour. I see them probably 2-3 times per year if I''m lucky. I''m close with my parents, but being on a different continent makes it hard to talk all the time - granted, I''d probably have about the same amount of contact with them if we lived in the same country. We''re just kind of like that.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, once every couple of weeks. My parents are very active and are often hard to get ahold of, so every now and then I''ll realize it''s been a few weeks since we''ve talked.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty much every day, sometimes more, when I was planning a wedding last year. Under more normal circumstances (now), it's about twice per week, and usually not 'just to talk.'

We live over 2000 miles apart.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 12:43:24 PM
Author: HollyS
Everyday. In my head. She passed away six years ago.
Holly, sorry about your mom. I don''t know if you read my post above, but it''s been years since my mom and I talked. It is so difficult not having her to talk to. I am an "adult orphan," as my dad died when I was a teenager and my mom disappeared. My kids sometimes ask about my parents and I have no idea how to explain the situation to them.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I talk to a parent (typically my dad because he''s semi-retired and my mom isn''t) every day. Sometimes twice.

I''m an only child. DH couldn''t believe how much I talk to my parents when we first began dating. Once in college, my mom called my DH''s apartment - a number I''d given her for emergency purposes because DH went to college in another state and I traveled there often - looking for me because she hadn''t heard from me in 3 days. Yes, 3. DH''s roomies made fun of me for months.

I never apologize for how often I talk to my parents, though, and DH has grown to understand. We''re very close - that''s just the family dynamic.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few times a week, more when there is somthing going on where I want her advice etc. She lives 3000 miles away. ETA I also talk to my MIL about 2 times per week, she lives int he same town as us.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I talk to my parents, well, my mom, pretty much every day or every other day. The only exception is if one of us is on vacation. My husband maybe calls home once a month or so, and now that we''re living far from home, his mom worries all the time that something is wrong. I''ve always kept in close touch with my family but he never has.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/11/2009 1:12:00 PM
Author: cellososweet
My Mum is my best friend in the world! We live 3,000 miles apart and we talk on the phone everday. It''s gotten excessive lately because I''m on bedrest and I''m bored (haha, poor Mum), but we always have the best conversations ever.

We laugh because when we do get together we''re always like ''I''m thirsty, let''s go to 7-11'' and we realize it''s because we never shut up.

Love her to bits. :)
lol... I hope my DDs and I have this kind of relationship when they get older, my oldest loves talking so much right now.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for all the responses!!!
i feel better knowing that i''m not the only one who actually ENJOYS talking to her mom!! dh just gets annoyed when she calls me when he and i are doing something. silly!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Typically we (mom and I) talk weekly, sometimes more, sometimes less. Often a few times in one day. We have wonderful conversations, and I enjoy our talk time. I usually talk to my brother weekly, and my sister most days of the week via some form of medium. Dad is weekly when we are getting along, but I've gone for months without talking to him.
15.gif
That's so terrible, because he lives with my mom and sister and he knows that I talk to them and avoid him specifically.
40.gif
I'm getting better about it, but we just bump heads a lot, and I don't really tolerate him talking to me in a manner that is not befitting of speaking to another adult. I love my parents, they are the best! However, my whole family is very close, and I would go nuts if I talked to them more than I do!
3.gif
They can be a bit much at times. FI talks to his parents about every 2 weeks or so, usually briefly, but every once in a while, they will have long 2 hr convos (which are the standard in my family!). He talks to his brother on most days, when they play video games on the computer together.
21.gif
My siblings and I like to have 3 way conversations together, and we giggle for an hour or 2 and talk trash on the phone. Those are my favorite conversations!

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
usually a few times daily, I mean no offense to those who do not call their parents daily, but I always found it weird that a parent didn''t call their child or vice versa daily. My parents would freak out and think I was dead! Just the relationship we have though!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We email back and forth everyday and talk on the phone 2-5 times a week. We live 170 miles apart.

When my husbands'' mom was alive we saw her every day (she had Alzheimer''s and he worked from her home so she could stay in it until she was no longer capable) and had dinner with her 5 nights a week. If she weren''t sick I imagine we would have seen her a few times a week and they would have talked a few times a week.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately I am not close with my Mom. I do my best to take care of her. But it was her Mother, my Nanny that was a Mom to me. We talked every day. Sometimes more. I took care of her for over 16 years. When she died, a big hole was left in my heart. I still talk to her.

Before she died, she said.... Lets make a time to chat so when I die, you and I will have a special time. A date with eachother.... I said well, what time is good for you. She laughed and said you are not a morning person, so how about Noon?? I said Noon works for me. She said ok at Noon, you and I will have a date each and every day....
12.gif

To this day, at noon, I say a few words to her. What ever is on my mind.

I don't know if she hears me. I loved that she wanted that. God bless her, she was a pistol. There are things that go on in my life, that ONLY she could undestand. I can still hear her voice, her funny quips, oh she brought such joy to my life. I have such wonderful memories, so am blessed 10 fold.
2.gif

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I talk to my mom usually once a week on sundays for maybe half an hour or more, not much goes on in our lives to talk about. But right now BF and I are on the road and only have roaming minutes so I haven''t talked to her since the last time I saw her which was about a month ago, but we text maybe once a week right now. I need to call her though, I like hearing my mom.

We live almost 4500 miles apart.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
About 3 or 4 times a week - although sometimes it''s my Dad I talk to rather than my mother, they''re both pretty chatty so the calls are quite long.

DH calls his mother once a month - maybe... and his father even less. I probably call his mother more often!

He thinks it''s weird that I call my parents so often, but I suppose he''s used to it now.

I wonder if it''s a growing up as all-boys thing - he''s one of 4 boys and none of them call their mother than often. I''m one of 3 girls and a boy and ALL of us call my parents most days including my brother.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I have very little relationship with my mother. She lives nearby, but suffers from depression and refuses treatment. She also has an anger problem and is sometimes unapproachable. I think I can count on one hand the number of times she''s called me in the past 2 years.

Growing up she gave me food, shelter, etc...I didn''t want for anything. But from the age of 12 or so I don''t recall her giving me advice, asking how I am doing, or offering support or encouragement. I am extremely self conscious about my looks, something she knows, but did little to help solve. I guess when your mom doesn''t tell you you''re pretty growing up, it affects you. When I mentioned it to her recently, she just said, yes, you always thought you were unattractive. That''s it. Didn''t even try to boost my self confidence by telling me I am attractive. I gave up expecting anything from her since it makes my life much easier. I did mention recently that I felt badly we didn''t have any relationship, and her response was, "Well, I suppose that''s my fault?". She is very defensive, and I find myself happier if I just don''t talk to her. It hurts to even write that.

However, I am very close to my grandmother and we talk daily. She actually is interested in me, and wants to know everything that is going on with me. Thank God for her guidance and support. I often slip in conversation and refer to her as my mother. People catch it and tell me, but I don''t even know I''m doing it.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I talked to my Mom almost every day up until I got married. Then life got busier, my job changed and got way busier. Quite frankly, I don''t call her nearly enough now and I have to get better about it. I''m probably talking to her once a week at best, which I know is hard for her. I told myself the other day I was going to make more of an effort.

I don''t talk to my MIL unless she calls me or DH asks me to call and tell her something. She''s not a bad person, I like her, but I''m just not into calling her randomly.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
About once a week. We''re both introverts, so we either have to be a in garrulous mood or make a point to call. Since my dad died, my mom has been better about calling. My dad was the one who would call almost every day on his way home from work (had a hands free device) but since he was driving home alone, I wouldn''t necessarily get to talk to my mom too.

Apparently in college, I gave my parents the impression that I didn''t like to be called (I think that when I''m concentrating on something, I have a hard time switching to extraversion mode instantaneously) and my mom would always expect me to be the one to call them. Then when I would call, she would say, "We were wondering when we''d hear from you!" and I was like, um, was something stopping you from calling me? A couple of years ago I actually had to say, "How would you feel if your mother never called you?"

I know it''s just that we''re too similar and we both need to be in the right mood. I had been meaning to call her all this past week to tell her about my classes this year, and she beat me to it by calling yesterday.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Reading everyone''s responses I remembered that I do email my mom every day or every other day, in addition to phone calls once or twice a week.

However, I almost never talk to my dad. He''s so hard sometimes! My dad is really one that you do things with, not have conversations with. He is not talkative at all and I don''t think we ever have phone conversations unless it''s something very specific to him (like if I wanted to buy a new bike, I would call him for advice; but we don''t just chat about our days). It''s kind of sad actually
7.gif
Sometimes I wish we lived closer to we could spend actual time together (same goes for my mom).

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my mom is a working woman, so her days are very full. During the week, we probably talk about 3 times, and we always talk on the weekend. I talk to my stepmom all the time, almost everyday. My folks are over a thousand miles away, so it''s important for me to talk to them.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2009 8:43:06 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Unfortunately I am not close with my Mom. I do my best to take care of her. But it was her Mother, my Nanny that was a Mom to me. We talked every day. Sometimes more. I took care of her for over 16 years. When she died, a big hole was left in my heart. I still talk to her.

Before she died, she said.... Lets make a time to chat so when I die, you and I will have a special time. A date with eachother.... I said well, what time is good for you. She laughed and said you are not a morning person, so how about Noon?? I said Noon works for me. She said ok at Noon, you and I will have a date each and every day....
12.gif

To this day, at noon, I say a few words to her. What ever is on my mind.

I don''t know if she hears me. I loved that she wanted that. God bless her, she was a pistol. There are things that go on in my life, that ONLY she could undestand. I can still hear her voice, her funny quips, oh she brought such joy to my life. I have such wonderful memories, so am blessed 10 fold.
2.gif

That''s sweet! I love that you think of your nanny every day at noon.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Every day, sometimes twice a day if I need her advice on something that''s getting to me.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Usually we talk every couple of days, but sometimes only about once or twice a week. It depends. We talk often, and I love that. Sometimes she''ll call just to ask to talk to my husband, but that''s a good thing, too. I talk to Paul''s mother more often than he does, but he''s not much of a phone person. We see his family a couple of times a month (or more) and my family usually about 5-6 times a year (we visit them twice and they visit us a few times). I wish we lived closer, but the cost of living is just too nutty in California for us to look at living there right now (or any time soon).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results