shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you buy a new piece of jewelry?

How often do you buy a new piece of jewelry (on average)?

• Annually

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • 2-3x a year

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • 4-6x a year

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • 8-10x a year

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 2-3x a month

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 1 every 2 years

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • 1 every 3-5 years

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Very rarely/other

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prior to a couple of months ago, more than I should have. I can say now that buying jewelry was a problem for me, I did it to escape reality and let’s face it, the past couple of years have been a lot of reality!

Now I can read PS and not get triggered to shop. Damn, when I put it like that it definitely sounds like an addiction, and it probably was.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I would say maybe 4-5 pieces a year. I have all of the major/staple pieces I want already, so right now when I buy it’s more for fun pieces or pieces that would be nice to have but not necessarily something I need to have to complete my collection.
For example I bought two Messika butterfly rings in April. I have always like her butterfly collection so when I saw them for sale and for great prices I purchased them but they weren’t really planned.
The only thing I really want this year is a VCA five motif bracelet. I want it for my birthday though so that’s not until the end of the year.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I first joined PS..I purchased TONS of things..Now I’m done with large purchases... except for my engagement ring reset that’s going on now. I will have some resetting of stones in some of my other settings..including a pendant…but it’s not going to be expensive. So..not often now..You can never say never though..

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I had a goal to buy two things this year — upgrade my LGD AVR and buy a yellow gold bangle bracelet. I am 25% there — diamond bought, waiting on setting.

I did buy a moissy carat tester ring — good choice because it probably saved me a thousand bucks. My other purchases this year will be declutteresets. First one should be done in 3 weeks…

Tell me about your bangle dreams! I’m considering one, too

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Prior to a couple of months ago, more than I should have. I can say now that buying jewelry was a problem for me, I did it to escape reality and let’s face it, the past couple of years have been a lot of reality!

Now I can read PS and not get triggered to shop. Damn, when I put it like that it definitely sounds like an addiction, and it probably was.

You are not alone, sending you hugs!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For 2022 so far:

- I have 5 custom cut CSs from JW, 2 had been paid off, still have 3 to go.

- Bought a pair of Aquamarine drops from I&R with the plan to set them as earring drops.

- Second re-set of my 1.19ct E VS1 EC diamond has begun.

- A heart-shaped brooch pendant with CZ that is on its way in the post to me. This vendor has many more brooches and pendants to tempt me, and this is the test piece to see if the quality is any good.

The package of items to be set is stuck in the post en-route to the bench I use in China; so nothing has been set yet. However, these are the plans for the items in the package:

- Set the Aqua and Morganite traps from JW in a ring
- Set the set of 6 x 4mm LGD MRBs I bought from another PSer in heart-shaped dangle drops for my tiny D-shaped earth-mined diamond huggy earrings
- Set 2 x 6mm Moissanite OECs as earring drops for the huggy earrings
- Re-purpose the 6 x3mm Moissanite MRBs in a pair of round huggy earrings into a pair of D-shaped huggy earrings with additional Moissanites
- Re-set the 5ct heart-shaped Moissanite pendant (there are issues with the design, partly my fault)
- Re-set the pendant with a large round synthetic pink Sapphire I bought from another PSer (again, there are issues with the design, partly my fault)

If budget allows, I would have a bracelet made in a Greek key design to replace the one that I have lost.

If further budget allows, I shall consider getting some nicer drop-shaped pearls to make into dangles for my huggies.

That should be it for 2022 (she says :Up_to_something:).

I was asked recently why I keep buying jewellery. I don't really have an answer except I love jewellery and there is always something I would love to add to my collection.

The bling wish list now is considerably shorter with bigger ticket items compared with the one I had in 2015 for certain! However, there is always a wish list.

DK :lol-2:

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I would say maybe 4-5 pieces a year. I have all of the major/staple pieces I want already, so right now when I buy it’s more for fun pieces or pieces that would be nice to have but not necessarily something I need to have to complete my collection.
For example I bought two Messika butterfly rings in April. I have always like her butterfly collection so when I saw them for sale and for great prices I purchased them but they weren’t really planned.
The only thing I really want this year is a VCA five motif bracelet. I want it for my birthday though so that’s not until the end of the year.

I also wanted a 5 motif for my birthday at the end of the year. I made enquiries in March and it will arrive next month. I’d get in touch with your nearest boutique or SA. Even though inventory is low you could possibly get it by the end of the year, if you get the ball rolling :)

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted a 5 motif for my birthday at the end of the year. I made enquiries in March and it will arrive next month. I’d get in touch with your nearest boutique or SA. Even though inventory is low you could possibly get it by the end of the year, if you get the ball rolling :)
Which one did you order? I can’t decide which one I want. I’m leaning towards either the gray mop or the all rose gold one. I tried to see them in the store when I was in Miami but they had none.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Which one did you order? I can’t decide which one I want. I’m leaning towards either the gray mop or the all rose gold one. I tried to see them in the store when I was in Miami but they had none.

Hammered yellow gold here. With all the hand washing and sanitising spray I thought that would be the best option. Rose gold seems to look so different from different brands and I think I might want to stack, so I thought I’d stick with yellow. This is going to be a daily wear piece for me so I really want something care free.

I saw the grey MOP and diamond 5 motif in store and it is truly stunning . It just depends on what look you are going for, and how you hope to wear it. Good luck making your choice. What a fun dilemma :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
After a crazy period of spending on bling i had been on a ban for the best part of 3 years - became a grown up and brought a money pit - to do so we had to move to a much smaller more rural city - i had a work transfer ( but im borring enough already without going through the sad sorry story all again) - neadless to say it fell through and i just didn't have the income to buy anything except essentials
But last year i got a useful little part time job and i was able to buy a couole of small things to ease the itch - my silver and amethyst memorial stack for Tibby (my avitar pix) that will do until i get compindent enough to buy loose stones
After a cull with a gold buyer ive been concentrating on repairs and alterations to make what i have completly wearable but i did buy a very well priced silver red garnet braclete last year

But now Bruce Springsteen has confirmed NZ and Australia will get tour dates in 23/24 so im seriously thinking about putting a break on the repairs and resizing because concert tickets are only the start of it (the spend)

Being part of the PS community has certainty made me a much less impulsive buyer and hooefully a slightly more educated one so going forward i envisage one really nice significant purchase a year with a sprinkling of pearls for good measure

PS is certainly making me wear what i have and by doing so im learning what works for me and what doesn't so hopefully im also becoming smarter

SomethingNew

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If I answered honestly, it would be admitting I have a problem.

Same here.... :lol: For me I went thru phrases, I used to live in the OC and it was ridiculous there in terms of everyone with giant rocks and I felt like I want some (not one) too although I really shouldn't have as we just started a family and with young kids. Back then, I had made purchases maybe once a year or every other year to ease the itch and my fomo disease. They were considerably bigger purchases, mostly ring related. Then came the Instagram bug over the last two years working from home! My company blocks all social media sites and then some, so when we were physically at work before the pandemic, I was only on instagram occasionally at night. I was browsing eye candies and not really buying or trusting any sellers at the time. Then as we work from home over the last two years, instagram became so distracting and addicting, and I found myself constantly on. Anyone follows the few sellers, you know how it goes, like a total stage 4 fomo disease to a new level. I found myself in this rabbit hole last year and purchased quite a few loose stones waiting to be set. Also a few earrings/necklaces/gold pieces, etc. This year has been better in terms of number of purchases, perhaps we are slowly easing back into the office so I cannot be on Instagram. But mostly because I got bitten by the VCA bug, and I am trying to save up for the one piece I want.

Last edited:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Same here.... :lol: For me I went thru phrases, I used to live in the OC and it was ridiculous there in terms of everyone with giant rocks and I felt like I want some (not one) too although I really shouldn't have as we just started a family and with young kids. Back then, I had made purchases maybe once a year or every other year to ease the itch and my fomo disease. They were considerably bigger purchases, mostly ring related. Then came the Instagram bug over the last two years working from home! My company blocks all social media sites and then some, so when we were physically at work before the pandemic, I was only on instagram occasionally at night. I was browsing eye candies and not really buying or trusting any sellers at the time. Then as we work from home over the last two years, instagram became so distracting and addicting, and I found myself constantly on. Anyone follows the few sellers, you know how it goes, like a total stage 4 fomo disease to a new level. I found myself in this rabbit hole last year and purchased quite a few loose stones waiting to be set. Also a few earrings/necklaces/gold pieces, etc. This year has been better in terms of number of purchases, perhaps we are slowly easing back into the office so I cannot be on Instagram. But mostly because I got bitten by the VCA bug, and I am trying to save up for the one piece I want.

Which VCA piece are you saving for?

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
I was already doing mental gymnastics because I track my finances so your post (and the rest of the thread) helps me feel better about it but is probably also enabling lol.

More of a LTM purchase tracker: Officially I have only bought 11 pieces of jewelry. Unofficially I bought another 21 things that I have "earmarked" for "sale" (so they don't count!) but will probably never do so out of sheer laziness. Plus every time I think of listing something I realise how nice it really is, even if I never wear it.

And I just bought something else today and am eyeing a couple of other things...

Moving to "higher quality" items hasn't helped decrease the number of my purchases, its only increased the total spend

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have the funds for very many jewelry purchases. I still browse the forums occasionally but most of the jewelry posted will be forever out of my budget.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@MMwo, I’m sure this comment made many of us laugh here. I think it applies to a majority of us when it comes to jewelry.

We are a delightful band of enablers, I think ;-) The sisterhood Nifflers of shiny things endures (we have men folk too). I'm here for it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results