shape
carat
color
clarity

How often do you buy a new piece of jewelry?

How often do you buy a new piece of jewelry (on average)?

• Annually

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • 2-3x a year

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • 4-6x a year

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • 8-10x a year

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 2-3x a month

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 1 every 2 years

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • 1 every 3-5 years

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • Very rarely/other

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Please select the option that most closely corresponds to your answer. If your answer has changed over time, please feel free to comment with the pattern you have noticed.

Follow up Q: do you find yourself posting/commenting less on Pricescope when you are not regularly buying jewelry? Does it make you covet buying more or it doesn't bother you?

For me, I used to be an indiscriminate buyer of mostly lower value items until a few years ago where I decided to get more disciplined about buying. I now tend to purchase maybe 1-2 pieces a year (except for this year, when I bought some 3 things already). Being on PS has added things to my wishlist (e.g. I really want a pair of diamond hoops now, and my wish for emeralds has extended beyond a ring to also wanting a pair of earrings), but not buying a lot doesn't stop me from posting/contributing (especially since I'm a bit privacy-conscious and I don't post pics of my belongings anyway).

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted 2-3 times a year.
Except this year because I’m at *cough* 5 *cough.* Eep…:shock: Though, in my defense, I already had all the gems in my possession so at least I wasn’t buying those too.

I tend to post on PS regularly but not daily. And it absolutely affects my shopping habits...as does my daily perusal of Loupe Troop. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to purchase a new piece a few times a year.
But since Covid I don't think I have purchased any bling.
Nothing substantial at least.

I voted 2-3 times a year.
Except this year because I’m at *cough* 5 *cough.* Eep…:shock: Though, in my defense, I already had all the gems in my possession so at least I wasn’t buying those too.

I tend to post on PS regularly but not daily. And it absolutely affects my shopping habits...as does my daily perusal of Loupe Troop. :lol:

I didn’t count reset or repair projects, unless they’re full revamps! :D

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I first joined PS (noob to everything), I made several purchases a year. As my knowledge improved, I became more discriminate and made a large purchase once a year. If not for the irresistible antique butterfly earring + wing necklace on LT, I have not purchased anything else in the last few years.

I don't post as often but I still browse PS daily.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on availability of funds.

In 2020, I made rather too many purchases when I was able to access my pensions/retirement funds. :roll2::lol-2:

Less in 2021 as I was contemplating having to replace the CSs that I might have lost in the post to China and back to UK (I got them back after a long delay), hence I did not make that many purchases, only commissioned for some CSs to be cut and a couple of low ticket items.

In 2022, I have a few CSs on the go, and am re-setting my 1.19ct EC again. Nothing in terms of setting front, as the package to China that I posted in April 2022 has yet to arrive there.

I am definitely more discerning and saving up for bigger ticket items.

DK :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to buy jewelry much more often, but my collection has reached a stable point now and I don't really desire anything new.

I'm sure this is partly because we barely go anywhere due to the pandemic-- I do not tend to wear jewelry at home.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Annuallyish.. most of the time it's just 1x a year if not more like 1x every couple years. Except for this year. I did get a few tester spacer bands in silver over the space of 6 months. Turns out they were a wise purchase because my ring kept rolling over most of them. Which a spacer ring is not supposed to do!! xD So I would have had a sad issue if I had gotten them in platinum. Whew.

I don't really post a ton on PS in general tbh. Partly because my only child is wild and only wants mommy. And partly because my jewellery is mostly lab created coloured stones. So i occasionally post in fashion jewellery when appropriate. The rest is inherited or given to me without much input from me and definitely not up to PS snuff. So i avoid sharing it most of the time unless i happen to have something very specific someone wants to see and think they might not mind seeing my ugly prongs lmao. Plus I'm aware my taste is not necessarily what others like to begin with even with ugly prongs.

However!!!! I very much enjoy looking at other people's jewellery and occasionally posting to give a compliment or answer something like this in hang out. So for me not buying jewellery doesn't really change my habits to begin with. Avid lurker gunna lurk another decade probably xD

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I went bezerk in 2021 and cannot remember specifically how many I bought but it was ALOT; there is a thread somewhere about sharing your bling of 2021 and when I listed everything I was a bit embarrassed. PS is definitely an enabling site and can be dangerous. It tends to make DSS set in more quickly etc. I also discovered my love of old cuts by looking at PS and I was a goner from there. I have calmed down quite a bit since getting my HG but I still log on daily as it has become my preferred form of social media. I tend to communicate more on PS than on FB or Insta for example. Before PS I probably bought one piece of jewelry a year if that. I want to try to get back on that path and save toward something big rather than getting lots of "little" pieces which I tend to do and I still have that tendency. I still love the community as it's more than a jewelry forum for me esp with the Hangout section where we learn more about each other's lives :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being on PS doesn’t make me more or less inclined to purchase, I don’t think - I think my magpie is all self-induced and self-sustaining :lol: PS has certainly influenced what I look for though!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are mostly settings / re-sets. I don't think I should have to count those at all.

On that basis, I'm practically a *saint* when it comes to jewelry purchases!

On the other hand, my Beloved 'reset' is going to cost me about 25k. So...maybe not on the 'saint' thing....

This year I bought 2 pairs of small, plain, gold hoops, set my cluster studs, resetting Beloved, my Southern Cross locket, doing a silver enamel locket, and maybe a lovely pair of platinum and diamond floral drops. Hmmmm. Not as saint-like as I had thought....

:think:

When I'm not on PS, I don't really purchase more or less. I have a list - I'm just working through it. Things like the gold hoops are small and cheap. The Southern Cross locket, Beloved, and the cluster earrings were larger ticket items. Altho I have a few not terribly expensive things to go, the only other truly expensive piece will be a diamond necklace, which will be next year, probably for my 40th anniversary.

Well that’s money that’s back in your bank account so… just a more involved form of window shopping imo. You’re safe :D

Phew!

I'm also gonna argue that something doesn't count as a new piece of jewelry until it's all finished. So like, buying my emmy, the 2 OEC sides, and creating a custom mount is really just 1 new item. Yes?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went bezerk in 2021 and cannot remember specifically how many I bought but it was ALOT; there is a thread somewhere about sharing your bling of 2021 and when I listed everything I was a bit embarrassed. PS is definitely an enabling site and can be dangerous. It tends to make DSS set in more quickly etc. I also discovered my love of old cuts by looking at PS and I was a goner from there. I have calmed down quite a bit since getting my HG but I still log on daily as it has become my preferred form of social media. I tend to communicate more on PS than on FB or Insta for example. Before PS I probably bought one piece of jewelry a year if that. I want to try to get back on that path and save toward something big rather than getting lots of "little" pieces which I tend to do and I still have that tendency. I still love the community as it's more than a jewelry forum for me esp with the Hangout section where we learn more about each other's lives :)

@Mreader -

I was fascinated to see this 'berserk' year, so.....

I went through 24 pages of the 34 pages of comments you've amassed on PS, till I found the thread to which you referred. Then I went through 9 more pages of posts on *that* thread till I found your post detailing your 2021 purchases. And I am pleased to tell you.....

It was worth the effort and I love every single piece you bought! The very first piece you posted on that thread was, I think, my favorite - tho I adore the leaf earrings you bought, too. The HG ring, is, of course, spectacular, the I LOVE the bezel set emerald earrings. Anything 3 stone is a big win for me, and your colored stones were just lovely.

PS IS dangerous and enabling - but, by golly! - it's a delight for the eyes! I hope your 2021 purchases continue to bring you joy and, for the ones that have moved on, I hope they allow *you* to move on to bigger and better things.

Thank you for sharing your bling year with us. :)) :wavey:

(...and yes, I'm very late to the party on this, I realize, but the sentiment holds true regardless!)

Phew!

I'm also gonna argue that something doesn't count as a new piece of jewelry until it's all finished. So like, buying my emmy, the 2 OEC sides, and creating a custom mount is really just 1 new item. Yes?

You’re talking my language ;-) that’s the kind of pedantry I utilise to tell my “responsible” side to shove it :D

I discovered old cuts through PS as well, and it’s made me more determined to buy something with old cuts! Probably earrings, because I have zero shame and an entire boxful of earrings (including TWO PAIRS OF STUDS ALREADY I REALLY DONT NEED ANY MORE) isn’t going to stop me from lusting, buying and wearing yet another pair of studs :D

Mine are mostly settings / re-sets. I don't think I should have to count those at all.

On that basis, I'm practically a *saint* when it comes to jewelry purchases!

On the other hand, my Beloved 'reset' is going to cost me about 25k. So...maybe not on the 'saint' thing....

This year I bought 2 pairs of small, plain, gold hoops, set my cluster studs, resetting Beloved, my Southern Cross locket, doing a silver enamel locket, and maybe a lovely pair of platinum and diamond floral drops. Hmmmm. Not as saint-like as I had thought....

:think:

When I'm not on PS, I don't really purchase more or less. I have a list - I'm just working through it. Things like the gold hoops are small and cheap. The Southern Cross locket, Beloved, and the cluster earrings were larger ticket items. Altho I have a few not terribly expensive things to go, the only other truly expensive piece will be a diamond necklace, which will be next year, probably for my 40th anniversary.

Wow, a reset for 25k!! My mind is boggling at the thought! Im assuming it will have side stones (of significant size and quality) because I can’t imagine a metalwork setting costing that much.

Congratulations on (almost) 40 years! That’s amazing! Were you thinking of a solitaire pendant necklace, a line/tennis necklace, or something more involved? Do you know already what you want or are you seeking suggestions?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I discovered old cuts through PS as well, and it’s made me more determined to buy something with old cuts! Probably earrings, because I have zero shame and an entire boxful of earrings (including TWO PAIRS OF STUDS ALREADY I REALLY DONT NEED ANY MORE) isn’t going to stop me from lusting, buying and wearing yet another pair of studs :D

Wow, a reset for 25k!! My mind is boggling at the thought! Im assuming it will have side stones (of significant size and quality) because I can’t imagine a metalwork setting costing that much.

Congratulations on (almost) 40 years! That’s amazing! Were you thinking of a solitaire pendant necklace, a line/tennis necklace, or something more involved? Do you know already what you want or are you seeking suggestions?

Thank you, @AllAboardTheBlingTrain. :)) Needless to say, I was a <ahem> child bride.... :wink2:

Yes, Beloved is going from a soli to a three stone, so the sides are 2.25ctw of ACA gorgeousness. Yay!

And the plan for the necklace (at this point) is for a pave heart, with an 18" chain dotted with 20 marquise-shaped inserts, set with tiny diamonds. It's a LOT of workmanship, so we'll see how I go!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader -

I was fascinated to see this 'berserk' year, so.....

I went through 24 pages of the 34 pages of comments you've amassed on PS, till I found the thread to which you referred. Then I went through 9 more pages of posts on *that* thread till I found your post detailing your 2021 purchases. And I am pleased to tell you.....

It was worth the effort and I love every single piece you bought! The very first piece you posted on that thread was, I think, my favorite - tho I adore the leaf earrings you bought, too. The HG ring, is, of course, spectacular, the I LOVE the bezel set emerald earrings. Anything 3 stone is a big win for me, and your colored stones were just lovely.

PS IS dangerous and enabling - but, by golly! - it's a delight for the eyes! I hope your 2021 purchases continue to bring you joy and, for the ones that have moved on, I hope they allow *you* to move on to bigger and better things.

Thank you for sharing your bling year with us. :)) :wavey:

(...and yes, I'm very late to the party on this, I realize, but the sentiment holds true regardless!)

Thank you so much and I’m really sorry you had to go through so much to find it!!! I have definitely done that before when I have been searching for a particular thread and I drive myself nuts trying.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did check the annual box, but, I’ve just come off Ban Island following a gut renovation of my kitchen last year, so no jewellery for me in 2021.
Since joining PS, I too have been trying to concentrate on purchasing a core diamond/ fine jewellery wardrobe. I’m really looking forwards to a special piece coming to me from Van cleef and arpels next month!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m always buying, it’s a problem.
I‘m into bracelets and pendants currently. I’m not spending thousands at a time though, just little purchases. I’m saving my money, mostly, for a suitable ring setting for one of the rubies.
I bought my daughter a pair of sapphire earrings too.
I think I would like a sapphire and diamond bracelet in white gold or a ruby and diamond bracelet in yellow gold but until I find one of either that speaks to me, I won’t buy.
Being on Pricescope doesnt make me buy more or less. I really enjoy admiring others purchases and planned pieces. I’ve never been into having pieces made though, I prefer my pre loved at a great price buying habit.
F5157EDB-D1B9-4665-A00A-4FB55FFB7CC0.jpeg B61A7C3A-A7A4-4D33-A99D-10A38F098132.jpeg 251F9069-B316-4E1B-91BC-F9DB94BEEBF5.jpeg

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I’m always buying, it’s a problem.
I‘m into bracelets and pendants currently. I’m not spending thousands at a time though, just little purchases. I’m saving my money, mostly, for a suitable ring setting for one of the rubies.
I bought my daughter a pair of sapphire earrings too.
I think I would like a sapphire and diamond bracelet in white gold or a ruby and diamond bracelet in yellow gold but until I find one of either that speaks to me, I won’t buy.
Being on Pricescope doesnt make me buy more or less. I really enjoy admiring others purchases and planned pieces. I’ve never been into having pieces made though, I prefer my pre loved at a great price buying habit.
F5157EDB-D1B9-4665-A00A-4FB55FFB7CC0.jpeg B61A7C3A-A7A4-4D33-A99D-10A38F098132.jpeg 251F9069-B316-4E1B-91BC-F9DB94BEEBF5.jpeg

Those jade pieces!!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I seem to have lost interest in wearing jewelry, I had my pink tourmaline reset a year ago last Christmas and probably have worn it less than 10 times....its sad because I love sparkly things, hopefully the love will come back...buying stuff it pretty much stopped completely, hubby is now retired and money is tight :( I never was a big spender anyway so I guess its not that big of deal...

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have sinned plenty. Sometimes I stay off jewelry and watch forums and it helps for a while.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I had a goal to buy two things this year — upgrade my LGD AVR and buy a yellow gold bangle bracelet. I am 25% there — diamond bought, waiting on setting.

I did buy a moissy carat tester ring — good choice because it probably saved me a thousand bucks. My other purchases this year will be declutteresets. First one should be done in 3 weeks…

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Annuallyish.. most of the time it's just 1x a year if not more like 1x every couple years. Except for this year. I did get a few tester spacer bands in silver over the space of 6 months. Turns out they were a wise purchase because my ring kept rolling over most of them. Which a spacer ring is not supposed to do!! xD So I would have had a sad issue if I had gotten them in platinum. Whew.

I don't really post a ton on PS in general tbh. Partly because my only child is wild and only wants mommy. And partly because my jewellery is mostly lab created coloured stones. So i occasionally post in fashion jewellery when appropriate. The rest is inherited or given to me without much input from me and definitely not up to PS snuff. So i avoid sharing it most of the time unless i happen to have something very specific someone wants to see and think they might not mind seeing my ugly prongs lmao. Plus I'm aware my taste is not necessarily what others like to begin with even with ugly prongs.

However!!!! I very much enjoy looking at other people's jewellery and occasionally posting to give a compliment or answer something like this in hang out. So for me not buying jewellery doesn't really change my habits to begin with. Avid lurker gunna lurk another decade probably xD

I want to see your pieces
Come play on @Autumn in New England 's lovelly rainbow gem thread - of course no lab stones but they don't have to be top shelf

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results