shape
carat
color
clarity

How much is too much for an e-ring? What is the average cost nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

UkneekFreak

Rough_Rock
Hello, my fiance and I are new to the field of trying to find an engagement ring, and are having difficulties in finding something within his budget of $4,000. Would anyone know what a good quality ring would cost now a days? It seems as though that''s what a nice diamond would cost by itself. Also, is $7,500 too much for an engraved ring with a red spinel gem and two small princess cut side diamonds? I am looking for advice because this whole experience is stressing us out a bit. Thanks in advance :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
did you want a diamond center or a red spinel center? i wasn''t sure from your post.

with 4k as the total budget, maybe something like a .80c I SI or something along those lines, well cut of course, and then spend about $700 on a setting?

i would maximize the cut and the size, and then keep the stone eye-clean and facing up white. if you can get a white gold setting, you would save alot over platinum!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I had $4k I would do this:

http://www.pricescope.com/origin.asp?id=94&sh=88&prc=3231
.84c H SI1 Almost H&A well cut AGS0 stone 0.6 EX on HCA for $3200

With the A.Jaffe white gold pave setting that is pictured here, the white gold engagement ring setting is about $800. The wedding ring (or you can get both) in WG is $800 as well but that comes later!

So for a $3200 excellently cut stone and $800 yummy setting, you can build the ring for the $4k! The thinness of the ring band and the great cut will make the stone look bigger--people will probably think it's at least a 1c.

Thats what I would do anyway!
9.gif

ajaffe20pave1.jpg

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Mara... Great choice... I agree.. Lovely set for 4K... Abbott

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw a really nice F VS .70 on GOG''s discounted stones list for about $3100- Stick that baby in a nice 700+ setting and that''s a damn nice ring for $4000!

I have seen so many pretty rings at Costco. Here''s just one idea for about $3,200. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BC-EC2189-Cat108&pos=3&whse=&topnav=&prodid=11007024

(I hope that link works.)

My fiance and I selected my ring from Costco, and we couldn''t be happier.

Here''s the image

The center stone (.70) on this is VS2 or better, and I color or better. It''s set in platinum.

833600L.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara''s suggestion is perfect. The ring she posted is classic and beatiful. If you don''t like the style of the shank, you can easily find another similar ring from any number of interet vendors.

UCLAGirl

Rough_Rock

Hey!

This is my first post on pricescope, although I have been watching the forums here for years! I felt I had some decent advice to give...

It is really hard to find a "good quality/size" engagement ring for under $5,000. After searching with my then boyfriend for an entire year, I looked at everywhere from Tiffany''s to mall stores. I could not find any type of ring with a decent quality diamond and size...So I looked online at Ebay. I know from reading this website and the forums, Ebay is not the top choice for many members here, but if a buyer is informed and protected, it IS possible to buy a very good quality engagement ring.

A few months ago, my boyfriend found a beautiful 1.92 square emerald cut engagement ring set in a heavy knife-edge platinum setting with a GIA certificate and all the papers (including the box and additional outside appraisals) for a mere $5,000. The ring was purchased from a very well-known San Francisco fine jewelry store on Union Square. The diamond is of "good" quality. As an informed purchaser, we knew exactly what an "I" color square emerald looked like, we also knew what a vvs2 would be like...We viewed the papers through e-mail and picked up the engagement ring in person at a jewelry store of our choosing to verify the ring. So, by purchasing the ring online (and by knowing all there is to know about diamonds and settings) we were able to get a very good ring for a really good price (at least I think so)....For $4,000 it is really hard to find a quality 1ct diamond...since our budget was similar to yours, we were going in the direction of purchasing an eternity ring instead of an engagement ring until our wonderful Ebay find!

Today, we are very happy with my engagement ring....It isn''t huge (the cut makes it look smaller than it is), it isn''t colorless in all lighting (but an "I" does not appear yellow in any way!) but rather a warmer white normally, it is clear and it looks very classic! It was also only $5,000. I would suggest spending some time looking around ebay...You may find a great ring, for a decent price! Good Luck!
1.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I like that A.Jaffe setting. Good choice! What''s it called? Do you have a link? Know how much it would be in platinum? Just wondering.......

UkneekFreak, I think you could find a nice e-ring with a $4,000 budget. Get an inexpensive setting and put most of that money into a good quality diamond.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/28/2005 7:24:44 PM
Author:UkneekFreak

Also, is $7,500 too much for an engraved ring with a red spinel gem and two small princess cut side diamonds? I am looking for advice because this whole experience is stressing us out a bit.
You might want to ask "Raddygast" (see the Colored Gems forum, can''t miss his posts)
2.gif

UkneekFreak

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help, everyone. :) I really appreciate it.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results