shape
carat
color
clarity

How is this Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Princess 0.66 F SI1 Premium GIA 70.9% 69% VG/GD 1.00 $ 1,700

s.GIF

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Square.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
31.gif
That''s a cool answer!

... honestly, with that much info... what could anyone else say more than that ?

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Do you need more info? If so what do you need? Anyone...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
need the same info as before.
2.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We need the crown and pavilion angles (preferably 2 of each). If possible, also crown height and pavilion depth, since this offers info when one of the angles is not menitioned.

Live long,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2006 9:21:53 AM
Author: techjeff
Do you need more info? If so what do you need? Anyone...

Second the above mentioned.

Measurements are supposed to be easier to get, but if not do-able... IdealScope picture would be nice. ASET... even better.

However, taking pictures through those ''scope is not very easy and if the seller didn''t care to do so for their diamonds already, it would be allot easier to use either if them or find a third party (appraiser) who can provide the extra cut quality info.

Perhaps some of this sounds crazy, but some diamonds get sold with such info behind. Comparing quality is obviously easier in person if you know what to look for. Otherwise, cut grading methods provide a point of reference hoping to compensate for direct comparison across the board.

My 2c

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Interesting, that on this grading report there is the profile not to actual proporitions? Wonder how accurate the number quoted are if the proportion isn''t actual.

Here''s a sample photo of the ASET for an AGS 0 princess cut.

(c) 2006 Consumers Gem Lab

Rockdoc

Princess 83ags0.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2006 11:19:59 AM
Author: RockDoc
Interesting, that on this grading report there is the profile not to actual proporitions? Wonder how accurate the number quoted are if the proportion isn''t actual.

Here''s a sample photo of the ASET for an AGS 0 princess cut.

(c) 2006 Consumers Gem Lab

Rockdoc
oh stop it bill..don''t even go there with accuracy! of course the profile is not to accurate proportions...it has the profile for a ROUND how accurate could that be if this is a princess?
37.gif

gorgeous aset
18.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2006 11:19:59 AM
Author: RockDoc

Interesting, that on this grading report there is the profile not to actual proportions? Wonder how accurate the number quoted are if the proportion isn''t actual.

I doubt AGS would leave BAD numbers in the open. Printing too many customized features on lab reports (such as adjusting that profile drawing) is another matter. I don''t think any lab makes clarity or proportion plots to fit the stones.

Nice ASET!

I may have an idea what Belle refers to about measurements... well, those are probably not accurate down to making possible reconstructing a model of the diamond to match the ASET, but in this case, we''ve got the real deal. No need to approximate anything. (a search about ''Sarin and Helium'' on this forum may produce the threads with related discussion).
34.gif

Otherwise, I am not allergic to round and approximate measurements - once you have an idea what the level of precision is, they are useful enough.

My 2c

techjeff

Rough_Rock

They ran the sarin and reported back this information:

Crown height 10.0

Pavil height 40.3

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If they did a Sarin-measurement, they would have more information than this. Why are they not mentioning it?

And where they are saying pavilion height of 40.3, they probably mean pavilion angle.

Are you sure that they really performed that measurement?

techjeff

Rough_Rock
I don’t know what to think either. Everyone here keeps praising James Allen Diamonds but this is where I’m getting the data from. This is for all three diamonds I’ve talked about on this forum I got it from James Allen Diamonds. What should I do? At one end of the spectrum people say go to James, I do now it sounds as if this a guy could be shady.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2006 4:37:50 PM
Author: techjeff
I don’t know what to think either. Everyone here keeps praising James Allen Diamonds but this is where I’m getting the data from. This is for all three diamonds I’ve talked about on this forum I got it from James Allen Diamonds. What should I do? At one end of the spectrum people say go to James, I do now it sounds as if this a guy could be shady.

I don''t think James Allen is shady. I think he just reported the TYPE paviion measurement incorrectly, as Infinity wrote above.

Rockdoc

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Here is the sarin everyone is asking for. Now what do you think????? Please tell me!

Mail0002.JPG

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Somebody needs to re-set that machine. And probably make sure that the label contains more info.

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Here is a link to it. You might have to download to your computer and zoom in. Wait for your browser window to give you a chance to give you the expand option once the image is completely opened:

sarin

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What you have is a label, produced by a Sarin-machine. It is a concise summary of all the measurements of the machine.

Somehow, the label is totally mixed up. If that pavilion depth would be correct, it would mean that the girdle is 20%. Either Sarin, or the operator of the machine has programmed the machine in such a way that the wrong information appears on the label.

The result is that this information is close to useless.

Live long,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait a minute... even if there were no Sarin metrics, isn''t ASET a good clue anyway?
34.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2006 3:19:40 AM
Author: valeria101
Wait a minute... even if there were no Sarin metrics, isn''t ASET a good clue anyway?
34.gif
Yes, but there is no ASET-pic. The one, shown by Rockdoc, is just a sample picture of a known well-cut stone.

Live long,

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Considering the wrong picture on the cert (round instead of princess), the 40.3 pavilion depth, and the 20% girdle, this stone would win an award for being the strangest stone ever!
9.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not the stone''s fault that it is badly represented.

This message is brought to you by the LDRSWV (the League for the Defense of the Rights of Stones Without a Voice).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2006 5:21:21 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp

Date: 2/23/2006 3:19:40 AM
Author: valeria101
Wait a minute... even if there were no Sarin metrics, isn't ASET a good clue anyway?
Yes, but there is no ASET-pic. The one, shown by Rockdoc, is just a sample picture of a known well-cut stone.

Ouch! didn't see that part.
7.gif
Long live LDRSWV!
9.gif

techjeff

Rough_Rock

So basically I’m back to square one. So far since I’ve been on this forum and I’ve posted as much info as I can provide from the vendor (James Allen). After showing 3 diamonds from James Allen, I have no real clue from anyone if the diamonds are good/bad. I’m just looking for 3 different points.

1. Is the stone good?
  2. Is the stone bad?
  3. If the stone is bad in your opinion, is it at least good for the price considering it might be on the low end?

I’m venting because I spent so much time on this and I have nothing. I have no control over what James Allen can provide to me. I ask for info, I receive info, I post the info. I get a response from the forum: We need more info, this is bad info. What about just looking at the info you have at hand? Can’t you come to some kind of rudimentary conclusion?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I understand your frustration, but unfortunately there is truly not enough info for us to make a good or bad judgement call. I mean, if the pavilion depth really is 40.3 or whatever, that''s the worst stone I''ve ever heard of (pavilion depths are usually close to 60). And with that information being off, the crown height is questionable for me as well.

Now, from the BASIC measurements you provided on the GIA report I would say that this stone is worth considering. But that''s it. As Paul said early on, the only thing that can be said for sure about this stone so far is it will be square. I know that''s hard to hear, but there''s really nothing we can do.

If you''re having such problems getting the info you need from James Allen I would try another vendor. As far as I know (and I could be completely wrong) most of JA''s stones are actually list diamonds. As such, a vendor such as WF can get the SAME stone for you. It''s something to consider.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ditto what researcher said. there is no way we could make any guesses about this stone from the limited questionable information provided. as i mentioned in your other thread, an idealscope image is helpful in determining more about a stone. ja has the capabilities to get you pictures, if you are truly serious about this diamond, ask them to get you pics. your other options are to just have the diamond sent for you to look at or work with another vendor who will provide more information.

techjeff

Rough_Rock

I hear you but let me kind of paint a picture of my background. I’m a computer guy; it’s my passion, and what I do for a living. If I give you partial specs on a processor 3 gig vs. 3.20 gig. Most people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between the two without running a computer analysis program to look at the MIPS. However I’m able to say “well that 3 gig is a heck of a lot faster then your 2 gig”. But the 3 vs the 3.2, the average person will not be able to tell the difference.

That is where I come into play with diamonds. I went to Helzberg Jewlery 3 weeks ago to look at a 1/3 ct princess, because that is what my girlfriends wants. She does not want a big diamond. When I went there I looked at the GIA report and according to the specs, the diamond was crap. It was basically a H or I in color, SI, .34 CT… The diamond looked great to me. I cannot tell the difference between a good or bad one. My girlfriend looked at it and she said it looked great to her to. The funny thing is I knew according to the specs it was crap, because I did some research about the 4-C’s etc. (she did not) That crappy Helzberg diamond was also priced at $1300.

Well I went on this forum, and I said I know I’ll surprise her get her double the size she wanted, and started to look at the .65 and up diamonds. I found some that rated at F color, SI, blah blah for $1600 or $1550ish in price range. The specs we’re better then Helzberg. So knowing that the Helzberg crappy diamond appeared good, to me. I just want to find a decent diamond at a good rate. I’m not super anal as I think most of you are no pun intended. Just as I am when it comes to computers (anal). But please keep in mind, I’m a simple person when it comes to diamonds.

FYI, I was married before, I bought a whole ring set at JB Robin’s for $500. Yep all 3 rings, engagement, wedding band for her and I at $500. Guess what?? I thought the diamond rings for $500 were great. I willing to bet any amount of money that if I posted the specs of that 3 ring set on this forum, everyone would say run to the hills.

Again just wanted to give you a background.
25.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey there..........I hear you and understand your frustration. Unfortunately, JA isn't providing you enough information to make an informed decision, so I would move on to someone who can provide more accurate information. There are several sellers here, who will get stones for you in person. They'll take pictures and provide scope views and email them to you. Then you can post more than just the GIA Grading report and you'll find that there is a whole group here who really know fancy cuts, such as princess and they'll help you get the best stone for your budget. If it were me shopping today, I'd contact Whiteflash, Good Old Gold or Winfields and they'll work with you personally.

Buying diamonds can be frustrating. People here do want to help you.

Good luck..........

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay techjeff. how about this... that ja diamond is probably a heck of a lot better than that helzberg crap. i have no doubt. other than that, i can''t do much for you. chances are this is a very nice diamond. i''m sorry this has been so frustrating for you, but i just know there is more information out there on this stone and i like to make informed decisions when spending other peoples hard earned $$. ja has a really good return policy. have them ship the diamond to you, if you don''t like it, send it back and go from there. best of luck!

techjeff

Rough_Rock
Yep I''ll do that :) As long as you think it''s better, I''m hip to it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results