shape
carat
color
clarity

How does this rock look for the$$$?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
I found this on e-bay, how''s it look for $3800 CDN?

$3800.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not liking the depth or the table.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see how it looks and neither can anyone else...

Some sellers offer allot more detail along with a stone like this aside the GIA report. Of course, it is good to see that, but even better to get some idea of what the stone could be like among other options. And that comparison depends quite a bit on cut - something the lab report does not inform about much.

The thick girdle does 'eat up' some weight, so this ends up as big as many 0.9cts - which matters a bit because there is a large price jump at 1 carat.

Now, there seem to be allot more offers higher than lower than this USD 3100 for 1 carat H-VS2 !
37.gif

You can easily compare the price against some in the database above - there doesn't seem to be many in that range, but without knowing the looks of the stone it can well be that this one is discounted for some good reason. Is it someone's ring or sold by a jewelry business ? Reselling diamonds is difficult so private sellers usually end up discounting allot. If the price comes from a business I would make to know more.
38.gif

Just a thought, of course.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
It''s also "out of round" by quite a bit ......

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you decide to pass on this stone????

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
I don''t think we will go for this stone after all the input from ya''all! I''m thankful there are people out there like you that know about this stuff cuz'' I would have thought it didn''t look like too bad of a deal. If there''s one thing I''ve learned though...If it seems too good to be true, then I probably is! I do believe that lesson applies here.

What it is that I''m looking for is a .75-1.0 stone to put into a setting. We have a somewhat limited budget and can''t afford the $7000+ I know it will cost for a certified stone from other online dealers. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your help

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what is your budget? btw...you can get one heckofa stone for under 7k
2.gif

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
This stone isn''t in a ring, but I guess it could have come from one, I didn''t even consider that at all. It''s being sold by Jack Kelly Jewlers and Estate Buyers in Florida, and they are rated well by e-bay standards. I just know that the $7000+ I''m looking at for a 1.0 diamond is out of the budget so I thought that something on e-bay in the 3800 to 5000 $ range would suffice. I''m not sure what to do but I sure appreciate the feedback you have given me. Thanks.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree with belle, you should be able to get a gorgeous stone for less than 7k. You''ll also same some $ by going just under the 1 carat mark.

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
I think we want to spent around $7000-8000 in total with the setting. The setting is a simon g and would look good with a 0.5, better with a 0.75 and fabulous with a 1.0! So you see where I''m comming from! Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
start by going up to the top of the page and using the ''pricescope you diamond'' feature...plug in some numbers and see what you can find!
2.gif

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
I''m still just learning what all the #''s mean and buying a stone sight unseen is somewhat confusing. Here''s a picture of the setting with a 1.0c.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did a quick search for what you have said you wanted. the average .75 stone is between $2-3K. definitely check out the search function here. i think you'll be pleasently surprised at the prices
1.gif

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I will check it!

6483a.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
here...i''ll get you started...

pricelist_12.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
l
18.gif
ve the setting!
36.gif

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
Now these are all US dollars so my price would be higher. I have to multiply those prices by 1.23 to get an approximate CDN dollar amount. That pushes things a bit. But I''m gonna keep looking, thanks!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I would stay away from ebay. do a search here and a bunch of threads will come up with ebay vendors not being completely honest and sending incorrect stones etc.
there are two ebay vendors that have good reputations here diamonds by lauren and Signed Pieces

you can also contact both directly. You best bet IMO is to try and find one of the vendors here to work with.

love the setting btw...
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2005 11:18:00 PM
Author: steFUNNY
If there''s one thing I''ve learned though...If it seems too good to be true, then I probably is! I do believe that lesson applies here.
Definitely true in the case of the first stone you posted & likely the case with many, many eBay vendors. I''d steer clear if I were you.

I love the setting you''ve chosen, btw!
36.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I personally had a bad experience on eBay with a pair of diamond earrings. They turned out to be 5 or 6 color grades lower than stipulated. What was I supposed to do when the jeweler was 5 states away? They kept giving me the run-around, telling me the "eBay people" weren''t there, the owner was out of town, I should have known I couldn''t get that color for that price, etc. Finally I made a big enough stink that they took them back, after I wasted a lot of breath and had to pay to ship them both ways. They had hundreds of positive ratings, although they shortly thereafter stopped selling on eBay (or changed their name, I don''t know). I wouldn''t do it again. It wasn''t worth the stress.

OK, so you''re looking at about $3100 to $4200 USD. Does that include the setting or is that just for the diamond?

If it''s just for the diamond, here are some ideas (all prices listed in USD):

Stones from the search by cut engine:

0.848 I SI1 ideal for $2579

0.808 H SI1 ideal for $2972

0.80 G VS2 H&A for $3255

0.908 J VS2 H&A for $3919 medium blue flourescence will help the color

1.01 J SI1 ideal for $3900

1.017 J SI2 ACA H&A for $4057

AGS0 stones from the regular search engine:

1.01 J SI2 AGS0 for $3763*

1.06 I SI2 AGS0 for $3933*

1.00 I SI2 AGS0 for $3953

1.11 J SI2 AGS0 for $3998*

*These stones were graded as AGS0''s before AGS''s recent overhauling and updating of their grading. If you''re interested in them, perhaps an expert can tell you if they would still be AGS 0''s.

And so on, and so forth. You can definitely afford a one carat stone with your budget. It may not be a D VS1 stone, but a few grades in color and clarity often don''t affect the appearance of a diamond as much as cut. That''s why I focused on stones in your price range with good cuts. You can also get a poorly cut stone with better color and clarity like this 0.91 F VS1 with a 65% depth and strong flourescence, but I''d recommend a well cut I/J SI1/SI2 over that any day.

I believe that USA Certed Diamonds is located in Toronto (you''d never think it from all the American flags on the site), which might be useful if you decide to buy online. You''ll have to figure out taxes and customs if you buy from the US.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
The setting is fantastic!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently saw a brilliant cut H color I1 stone that just had one tiny black spec that def. could not be spotted unless held steady at eye level ... maybe if you can see stones in person, get a good cut, good size but go down on clarity? She doesn''t by any chance wear contacts does she LOL!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
ps -- MAN I love that setting!!! Good luck with the stone search ... I think that setting is worth the punch it''s going to give to the overall look - especially if she is a fashion-forward girl who looks good in pink!

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
Thanks you guys, you ROCK for helping me out!
20.gif
I feel like a geek for just saying that- you guys rock-, I mean thanks alot!

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
You got alot of good advise here SF..what did u decide?

steFUNNY

Rough_Rock
Hi there. I am just actually trying to educate myself on ''rocks'' right now, you know, trying to learn the ropes! My boyfriend is extremely busy with his career and relies on me to research all our major purchases. I guess if I want a good diamond I better get to work! I just love this forum, everyone is helpful and friendly. I wish someone needed advice on something I could help them with so I could return the favor. Thanks again!

Stephanie
35.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Ste-FUNNY ( Stephanie) I GET IT!!!!!
hahahahah

A lot of good advice here on this thread.
Looking at the very first stone you saw, a BIG RED FLAG comes up...why?
It''s way below market price.
If it''s a private individual, such a price is possible- but a dealer can NOT sell a nice 1.00 H/VS2 with GIA report for $3800 cdn.
Either the stone or the seller is a dog.

Then we have people claiming a diamond examined by someone with a GIA degree is the same as a diamond which GIA grades.
It is NOT the same- and based again on pricing, we can see that some "GIA graduates" likely can''t see the difference between an M and an F.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results