shape
carat
color
clarity

How does this Asscher Look?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Hi there -

I have my eye on this Asscher and would love it if someone in the know could give an opinion on it. Of course I always think diamonds are all beautiful until someone points out why they could be better. Your advise is appreciated!

The vendor doesn't have all the specifications at the moment (she is tracking down the EGL certificate). But we do have the following:

Shape: Asscher
Carat weight: 1.65
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 66.6
Table %: N/A
Symmetry: N/A
Polish: N/A
Girdle: N/A
Fluorescence: N/A
Measurements: 6.72-6.50-4.33

Price: $5,800

2Asscher165.jpg

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Another image

Asscher165.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.72-6.50-4.33
Its visibly not sqaure.
Paterns look fairly decent.
Which egl is it?
If its not egl-usa pass.
If its egl-usa it might be a GIA j but shouldnt be lower.
Need the crown height and table size.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Strm! I was hoping you would comment on this. I (and everyone on this board) respect your opinion and you definitely have great knowledge of Asschers.

I will find out if the EGL report is USA or overseas and get the rest of the info and post it here.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have much experience with Asschers specifically, but I am familiar with step-cut diamonds...A 1.65 carat diamond for $5800 doesn''t sound right to me. It sounds especially LOW like by almost 50% too low!! I recently purchased a 1.03 emerald cut diamond (another step cut) for just around that amount and you''re looking for a 1.65 for that same amount?! Hmmmmm...I''m agreeing with strmrdr...if the EGL isn''t USA I''d pass...but I''d also be especially interested in the rest of the dimensions....

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Good Catch Alumni!!!

These is no way an established seller will offer a legit 1.65 I/VS2 for $5800.

If it''s a private individual, I guess anything''s possible- but generally, if someone is selling dollar bills for .50 caution is well warranted.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone -

The diamond is offered by a Pricescope vendor with a very good reputation. They offer a 10 day money-back guarantee. Perhaps I should have the diamond appraised by an independent appraiser? Should I be suspicious?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the shape, it is fine. That it doesn''t look as if it were cut a century ago... is open for debate
2.gif

The table is about 62-63% for what that matters.

How brilliant it is still cannot be guessed from a picture. It is hard to tell which of the black crumbs are dirt (there are plenty all over the picture too) and which inclusions, but none is nearly large enough to be visivle without this much magnification. So.... why not call it VS2. Color is another thing and it cannot be guessed through the screen. If the lab report is some other EGL but their US branch, this might be well less than "J" by GIA standards. There is a price for everything though - and if you like this an appraiser could sort out the grading for you.

Just my 0.2...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the price is almost alarming low--but if it''s a respected PS vendor w/ a 10-day return guarantee, then I guess you could certainly see for yourself?

Agreed that it could very well be a GIA J/Si1.....the shape certainly looks pretty to me even if it isn''t dead-square. The lack of other cert info is also a bit odd.

Let us know what you do--I''m intrigued!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 1:37:43 PM
Author: PGTips
Thanks everyone -
The diamond is offered by a Pricescope vendor with a very good reputation. They offer a 10 day money-back guarantee. Perhaps I should have the diamond appraised by an independent appraiser? Should I be suspicious?

If the stone is offered by a reputable dealer, then I would definitely find out what their return policy is. If you have a 10-day+ return policy, that''ll give you enough time for an independent appraisal and decide for yourself. If it IS really $5800 for a 1.65 eye-clean diamond, then you''re getting one HECK of a deal!!

Let us know what you decide!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 1:37:43 PM
Thanks everyone -

Do they have it in stock?
PM me with the dealers name please.
Independent appraiser is always a good idea.
Finding out which egl it is would be the first step.

Its defiantly worth looking into if the slightly off square doesnt bug you but be careful.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Hi Strm -

I just PM''d you.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 1:52:48 PM
Author: valeria101
If you like the shape, it is fine. That it doesn''t look as if it were cut a century ago... is open for debate
2.gif

The table is about 62-63% for what that matters.

How brilliant it is still cannot be guessed from a picture. It is hard to tell which of the black crumbs are dirt (there are plenty all over the picture too) and which inclusions, but none is nearly large enough to be visivle without this much magnification. So.... why not call it VS2. Color is another thing and it cannot be guessed through the screen. If the lab report is some other EGL but their US branch, this might be well less than ''J'' by GIA standards. There is a price for everything though - and if you like this an appraiser could sort out the grading for you.

Just my 0.2...

Hi Ana -

How are you able to tell what the table of the stone is from the photo? Also, can you explain what you mean when you say that the stone does not look like it was cut a century ago?

I am sure you are right that there are things that we can''t tell about the stone from the information provided. Perhaps it does look like a "J" in person. I don''t know. But from what I see so far, it seems like it might be worth looking at further. I am concerned though, as to why the vendor does not have all the information from the certificate. The vendor called the stone in and the place where they got the stone said they were trying to locate the certificate. That seemed a bit weird to me. I don''t know why the certificate would not stay with the stone at all times? Well, all will be revealed eventually, I am sure. I think this is definately a stone to show to an independent appraiser before making a decision on this.

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2005 3:48:02 PM

Hi Ana -

How are you able to tell what the table of the stone is from the photo?

Also, can you explain what you mean when you say that the stone does not look like it was cut a century ago?

... I don''t know why the certificate would not stay with the stone at all times?
The table % is calculated as tabel diameter / total dimeter on the width of the stone. That can be done well enough on a photograph - the result does not change if the stone is tilted etc.

About the vintage looks... I know well enough that a certain profile is recognized as "classic asscher", but I am not sure this does represent historic data or just current collectors'' prefferences. If "asscher" is a nearly octagonal, step cut diamond with a heavy pavilion and the crown high like a small mound - this is definitely not it, for better or worse.

No idea what could have happened with the lab report. But if you will make use of appraisal the story may not be all that relevant anymore. If you are not in a hurry and the lab report turn out to be rather old, the diamond could visit EGL again to get new papers. Independent appraisal might be faster and cheaper though. In the end, it really matters what makes you feel more confident about the price and value.

Sorry if my previous post wasn''t all that clear
8.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
If they can actually come up with the diamond, and it''s pretty, it''s a baragain even if it''s J color- I mean an AMAZING bargain.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ana. Your previous post was great. You are so so knowledgable about diamonds and I''m always impressed with the things you share in this forum. Thanks for explaining that to me.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What ana is saying is that its the modern interpretation of an asscher.
Im not sure thats accurate because Iv seen a couple over 50 years old that were cut in that style.
Even the asschers cut by the original Asscher company varied a lot in style from the few examples Iv seen.

People could argue over and over about what is a proper asscher and never reach a conclusion.
For me if it has proper patterns and cut corners and highish crown its an asscher.
This one is an asscher in my opinion.

edit to add:
assuming the crown height checks out as it looks like it should.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
No question, the photos posted above look like a modern interpretation of the Asscher Cut.
GIA would likely call it
"Square Emerald Cut"
A true Asscher is a "Step Cut Octagonal"

From the photos, it looks to be a very pretty stone.
In the case of table on modern Asschers-
Many times a good cutter can make a 70+% table look like a 60%- simply be creating a facet line below the girdle which reflects up and ends up making the table look much smaller- which gives the stones a more classic look.

Here's one I did not particularly love

153hvs1a.JPG

This one had a 67% table and NO reflecting facet below- resulting in a kind of dull puppy.
D72.3
T67%

6.30 x 6.28 x 4.54
This one weighed 1.53.

Anyway- the photos PG posted look much much better. it looks like a small table- but could easily be the facet I mentioned- and still look very nice.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
I''ve been emailing back and forth with the vendor. She took three more pictures for me and is still waiting on the certificate. What do you see from these pictures?

5Asscher165.jpg

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Another..

4Asscher165.jpg

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Another

3Asscher165.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 5:04:39 PM
I've been emailing back and forth with the vendor. She took three more pictures for me and is still waiting on the certificate. What do you see from these pictures?
Bit of a tilt blacking out the bottom bar of the pattern.
My opinion is the same nice patterns and just a little off square but likely visible up close.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2005 5:06:21 PM
Another
Crown is nice and high.
I really liking this stone and the price is yummy but it has to be egl-usa and or have the grading confirmed by a very good independant appraiser.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
looks very nice. Very Very nice.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iv been thinking about it and even its not egl-usa this one might be worth while sending to an independant appraiser to see what the color actualy is.
The price leaves room for it being less than an I and its well cut.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. Your opinions mean a lot to me. I''ve just mostly lurked on the board in the past, but I''ve read so many posts from you guys that I have a lot of respect for your knowledge of diamonds. I appreciate you giving me your input!

Thanks.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder what the myriad of specks in the first pic are.

I wonder why the second pic is so blue!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So... you've got one lovely diamond there: top-down, bottom-up and side view included.

Perhaps you could have it pass the view of an appraiser while these guys dust off old papers to find the lab report.

None of the pictures show clarity and color and brilliance down to slight detail - just shape, as usual. There seem to be some inclusions there, but we already know this is EGL's VS2 under really high magnification. Otherwise, what else can be told from pictures anyway ?

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Yes, I think I will. Is there a Pricescope appraiser that perhaps specializes in Asschers? I''d love it if someone could recommend someone good.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I''m certainly no expert, but this stone appears to be a nice asscher. I like it!! How will you set it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results