shape
carat
color
clarity

How does a diamond girdle get chipped?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a round OEC that has been in my family for over 100 years. It is a gorgeous stone, but the girdle is chipped in multiple places. How could that have happened? It''s a big mystery to me.
23.gif
Should I be worried that my e-ring girdle will eventually get chipped?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite easily I'm afraid. From what I understand the OEC's can have a thinner girdle than modern cuts so this makes them more vulnerable. Also diamonds put together in a jewellery box rubbing against each other can do it - apparently diamonds love to eat other diamonds, knocks while being worn can chip the girdle to name just a few causes. Maybe get a pro to check this treasure out, it might be fine. Is it set? A pro can tell you if the diamond is at risk or not, possibly the chips could be fixed or he might just say to leave it.

With your e-ring, get it insured, wear it well and try not to worry. Take care of your ring and don't wear it for any rough work! I am sure it will be fine, but apparently we can get tiny tiny chips and dings in our girdles over time
6.gif
in some cases.

ETA - click here to read up on Mrssalvo's experience with her OEC diamond, it might help you a lot!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Old cuts often have knife edge girdles which nick and chip. Some may be readily reparied and we then recommend faceting the girdle which makes it automatically thicker and shiny at the same time. Even if the stone is left a bit out of round, it will look pretty much as pretty as before, but won''t tend to break further. Wearing a chipped diamond is asking for more trouble. Getting it repaired is a smart thing.

We can advise you better on this if we examine the stone. Without seeing it, the extent of existing damage is something that we could only guyess at. I suggest you show it to someone qualified to assist you. If no one is closer than we are, then we''d be glad to look. Have a look at the appraiser finder, and you''ll know where the listed appraisers are located. Many retailers will also be able to help you and you might begin your information gethering with those near where you live, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results