shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you wear your wedding set most of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
On an average day...

Do you wear your wedding band(s) and engagement ring together?
-or-
Do you wear your wedding band(s) alone?
-or-
Do you wear both, but on separate hands?

I'm going back and forth debating wedding band options... trying to decide whether my choice should be based on how I want to wear them, or what looks best.

So feel free to weigh in on that, too
2.gif

eta: Just thought of another question... do you love your rings MORE or LESS or THE SAME when paired together vs. stand-alone?

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I usually wear both my band & ER together on my left hand, but on casual days around the house, I jsut wear my wedding band and no ER.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Together on the left every day. My right hand had nothing to do with the whole process, so I''ve left it out in the cold. I did buy it a David Yurman ring as a consolation prize though.
1.gif

There''s something about an e-ring and a w-band together (matchy or not) that I just love.

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
Around the house I usually have just my wedding band and usually a RHR of some sort. But when I go out I usually put on my ering.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t wear any rings at home. When I go out, they are worn on separate hands.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm having trouble with this, because the WB I love most as a wedding band is a 3mm plat. lucida band. I loooooove it. I very much like the idea of a WB I can wear 24/7, and I think that's a big part of why I love it. I know I really never need to take a ring like that off, and that I can size it as much as needed and it will do just fine.

On the other hand, what I love most with my ering is a bead-set scott kay eternity band that I tried on a few weeks ago. The look is stunning, to me. I do like the way it looks solo as well, but not as much as the plain band.

So... should I be choosing based on the appearance of the set--together? Or based on which individual piece I love, and the functionality as I want it to be?

I know it's a totally personal decision, but I'm struggling with it! I kept thinking "I have plenty of time to decide" (10 months 'til the wedding) but I've been thinking about it for ~8 months now, and am no closer to making a decision. Eep!
32.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Average day: together on the left.

At home: they are in their box so they don''t get dirty, chipped, or get cleaning solvents on them. When I get a plain band, which I plan to, I will probably wear it at home.

Someday, on future occasions that require bling to be bought for moi, I plan on amassing a small collection of lovely little diamond/gemstone bands which can be worn together, or by themselves, as the spirit moves me!
30.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Wedding ring and e-ring on same hand all the time except for sleeping and going to the gym [when I wear just the wedding ring].

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I've started not wearing my e-ring at home much, but when I'm out I have one on each hand. They weren't meant to be a set and take up a lot of real estate together. If my e-ring were narrower I might wear them together but I like the look of the plain band all alone.

ETA: I saw your latest reply and I get what you're saying. My wedding ring is a plain band and I like it that way; it really never comes off and it goes with everything! There are days when I'd like to have another ring to stack on my band to the extent that I have a ring all picked out, I just haven't plunked down for it. I've also considered getting other bands to wrap around my e-ring on my right hand because I love that look, it just wasn't what I wanted for every day. Could you get both rings and maybe have a right hand 'set' with the eternity band?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 3:52:23 PM
Author: musey
I''m having trouble with this, because the WB I love most as a wedding band is a 3mm plat. lucida band. I loooooove it. I very much like the idea of a WB I can wear 24/7, and I think that''s a big part of why I love it. I know I really never need to take a ring like that off, and that I can size it as much as needed and it will do just fine.

On the other hand, what I love most with my ering is a bead-set scott kay eternity band that I tried on a few weeks ago. The look is stunning, to me. I do like the way it looks solo as well, but not as much as the plain band.

So... should I be choosing based on the appearance of the set--together? Or based on which individual piece I love, and the functionality as I want it to be?

I know it''s a totally personal decision, but I''m struggling with it! I kept thinking ''I have plenty of time to decide'' (10 months ''til the wedding) but I''ve been thinking about it for ~8 months now, and am no closer to making a decision. Eep!
32.gif
What are the chances of receiving one of those bands that you love as a wedding gift from the hubby? (We didn''t exchange gifts.) Or, the first anniversary?

If you think the answer could be yes to those solutions, I would choose to have the Scott Kay eternity band, and get the plain band later. The *right now* choice is to have full on bling power when you''re showing off the newlywed status to everyone. IMO

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
W-band alone to bed at night. Around the house usually w-band w/ e-ring but not always. (i.e. sometimes, w-band alone) Going out of the house, almost always w-band & e-ring together on left hand. Other rings or nothing on right hand. When I get my reset of my original diamond, I plan to wear it on right hand usually, but I might wear it alone sometimes on the left hand in place of my wedding set, especially if I want to wear another RHR.

I'm having trouble with this, because the WB I love most as a wedding band is a 3mm plat. lucida band. I loooooove it. I very much like the idea of a WB I can wear 24/7, and I think that's a big part of why I love it. I know I really never need to take a ring like that off, and that I can size it as much as needed and it will do just fine.

I know it's a totally personal decision, but I'm struggling with it! I kept thinking 'I have plenty of time to decide' (10 months 'til the wedding) but I've been thinking about it for ~8 months now, and am no closer to making a decision. Eep!
32.gif
Argh!!! This was something that plagued me when I was engaged, and is partly why I'm where I'm at now re: rings, and why I'm on pricescope.

If I were to start my whole engagement all over again, knowing what I know now, I think I would have picked Michael B petite lace set (which I did NOT see back then), wear them together on left hand and live happily ever after. i.e. I would be choosing based on the appearance of the set--together

But, if I already had an e-ring that I loved, like you, well, if you can afford it - I would get both rings; wear the one that looks good w/ e-ring when I want to wear e-ring, and wear band that I love alone. Or, wear them on separate hands. When I was engaged, I was really trying to stick to the traditional thing, the set on the left hand (and only one wedding band). But since then I've changed my mind about that somewhat. If I'd been in your situation, and could afford it, I would have gotten both wedding rings. It depends a lot on how much you plan to wear your wedding band alone. I find that I almost never leave home without my e-ring together w/ wedding band.

If I could only get one ring, I'd go with the one that looks "stunning" as you said with your e-ring.

Hope that helps!

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 3:53:13 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Wedding ring and e-ring on same hand all the time except for sleeping and going to the gym [when I wear just the wedding ring].
DB, You can get a work out from just lifting your hand while wearing your e-ring!
2.gif
3.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 4:02:57 PM
Author: HollyS

What are the chances of receiving one of those bands that you love as a wedding gift from the hubby? (We didn't exchange gifts.) Or, the first anniversary?

If you think the answer could be yes to those solutions, I would choose to have the Scott Kay eternity band, and get the plain band later. The *right now* choice is to have full on bling power when you're showing off the newlywed status to everyone. IMO
I've been hinting hardcore for a different wedding gift
2.gif
(the locket I posted in my wedding gown thread) But I already have the plain band. I'd sell it i I don't use it as a wedding band.

I'm pretty sentimental and like the idea of having the same band--ONE "real" wedding band--forever (I guess this goes along with my wanting to wear it 24/7!).

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Musey ... I think I went through a very similar sitch. The upshot: I wear my both my e-ring & my wedding band everyday, all day, even at night -- except around unsecured drains (showering, washing dishes). Then I take off my e-ring & just wear my w-band.

It was a hard transition mentally because I loved my e-ring so much on its own. I wasn''t sure if I''d get used to wearing ANY band with it but now I love it. (Don''t dig RHRs so I couldn''t pick a stand alone w-band & push my ering over to the right side & my DH INSISTED I get a wedding band, wouldn''t let my e-ring BE my wedding band - argh!)

Sometimes I toy around with the idea of getting two thin solid platinum bands to flank my w-band when I want to wear a "band only" look ... cuz the band just isn''t substantial on it''s own (though it''s more substantial than some I rejected as TOO thin alone).

Eh, hope that helps!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 4:32:40 PM
Author: decodelighted
Hey Musey ... I think I went through a very similar sitch. The upshot: I wear my both my e-ring & my wedding band everyday, all day, even at night -- except around unsecured drains (showering, washing dishes). Then I take off my e-ring & just wear my w-band.

It was a hard transition mentally because I loved my e-ring so much on its own. I wasn't sure if I'd get used to wearing ANY band with it but now I love it. (Don't dig RHRs so I couldn't pick a stand alone w-band & push my ering over to the right side & my DH INSISTED I get a wedding band, wouldn't let my e-ring BE my wedding band - argh!)

Sometimes I toy around with the idea of getting two thin solid platinum bands to flank my w-band when I want to wear a 'band only' look ... cuz the band just isn't substantial on it's own (though it's more substantial than some I rejected as TOO thin alone).

Eh, hope that helps!
I have to ditto deco (so what else is new?...). I too, loved my ering on its own and wasn't sure I loved it with any other ring. So I chose a wband that shows off the ering, if that makes sense. It's quite thin and dainty on its own and I while I wouldn't wear my ering while doing sports or sailing, I would wear my wband for some activities. I've decided to get a plain plat band for Xmas, to wear when I dont want to wear either ring, and to wear with my wband when I want something a little more substantial but not my ering. So...I think you could consider the bead set you like, as well as a plain plat band. Mix and match. And since you already have the plain band, I think you know what to do!
31.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 4:45:38 PM
Author: surfgirl

So...I think you could consider the bead set you like, as well as a plain plat band. Mix and match. And since you already have the plain band, I think you know what to do!
31.gif
heeheeeeee

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I love my e-ring, but I hardly wear it after getting married. Most days I just wear my rolling ring or the rolling ring paired with the half-eternity band (we used the half-eternity for the ceremony). The thing is, I like the rolling ring because it''s the ring I bought for myself. I love my e-ring and half-eternity paired together, but the truth is that I still feel guilty that he spent so much money on me and I haven''t bought him anything equally nice. I don''t know, I just feel less guilty when I wear the band I got for myself.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I wear them both, at home or out, they''re always together. But, if I''m at home cleaning, or doing something that might scratch my Ering up, I take it off. Almost never take my WB off.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Musey,
I usually wear both my wedding ring and my ering on a daily basis and at night. My wedding band has diamonds and I think it really fits nicely with my e-ring (plain x-prong solitaire). Although when I originally received my e-ring, I thought it was so perfect by itself, once I got married and started wearing them together, I think I now prefer wearing both together because I think the blingy band really enhances the e-ring (btw, the rings are from different places, so they are not a "set".)

I realized it wasn''t practical to wear my e-ring all the time and although I like my wedding band standalone, there are times when I just want to wear a plain band and not have to worry about getting the diamonds in my wedding band dirty (I''ve become a clean ring freak after becoming a PS''er). So I bought a plain platinum Lucida 3mm band from Signed Pieces and I think it''s PERFECT. Although it pretty much goes with my e-ring, I prefer to wear the plain Lucida band alone if I''m going to wear a wedding band alone, and my original wedding band with my e-ring together when I want to wear my e-ring.

All that said, my advice would be to get the bead set Scott Kay eternity band for your wedding band and keep your plain Lucida band for all the other times you want to wear a wedding band alone. Just my 2 cents!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I wear both, all the time, on my left hand. I like the way they look together, but I miss the look of the engagement ring alone,, too. The band somehow takes away from the tulip part of it. It''s cute, no matter what, though.

I''ve never worn my wedding band alone. There was one day when I left my rings at home after using lotion, and the whole day just seemed so bleak. I never realized how often throughout the day I look down to see my rings (until they weren''t there!!!).

Good luck picking the best one for you. I took a good deal of time searching, too. Nothing wrong with that!! Wouldn''t it be nice if they had a "take it home and try it for three days" option??
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I typically wear my wedding band alone at work and both my ering and wedding band everywhere else. Today reinforced my doing so, one of the kiddos I work with was playing with my hand and he cut his lip, just a sliver, on my ring; if I had been wearing my ering it would have been a lot worse.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 6:40:32 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Date: 12/4/2007 3:40:48 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Together on the left every day.
Yup, me too. If I am washing or cleaning something however, I take off my engagement ring. I always wear my band.
This is why I feel like I should have the plain one...

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 4:12:30 PM

Date: 12/4/2007 4:02:57 PM
Author: HollyS

What are the chances of receiving one of those bands that you love as a wedding gift from the hubby? (We didn''t exchange gifts.) Or, the first anniversary?

If you think the answer could be yes to those solutions, I would choose to have the Scott Kay eternity band, and get the plain band later. The *right now* choice is to have full on bling power when you''re showing off the newlywed status to everyone. IMO
I''ve been hinting hardcore for a different wedding gift
2.gif
(the locket I posted in my wedding gown thread) But I already have the plain band. I''d sell it i I don''t use it as a wedding band.

I''m pretty sentimental and like the idea of having the same band--ONE ''real'' wedding band--forever (I guess this goes along with my wanting to wear it 24/7!).
If you already have the plain one, get the other if it is feasible, and have both rings at the ceremony. That way they are equally important sentimentally. Does this have to be an either/or situation?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2007 6:40:32 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Yup, me too. If I am washing or cleaning something however, I take off my engagement ring. I always wear my band.
Yep, same here. I picked out a simple band so I could wear it under gloves, when outside gardening, etc. The band is a carved design, so it''s not entirely plain, but it has a smooth finish that makes it very cozy to wear.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m having trouble with this, because the WB I love most as a wedding band is a 3mm plat. lucida band. I loooooove it. I very much like the idea of a WB I can wear 24/7, and I think that''s a big part of why I love it. I know I really never need to take a ring like that off, and that I can size it as much as needed and it will do just fine.

I know it''s a totally personal decision, but I''m struggling with it! I kept thinking ''I have plenty of time to decide'' (10 months ''til the wedding) but I''ve been thinking about it for ~8 months now, and am no closer to making a decision. Eep!
32.gif
That''s a tough one. I have 3 rings right now, plain, eternity and solitaire. Most often I wear the eternity and plain WB only. But I''d be sentimental about a wedding band, so I''d (if I were getting married like you) want to have a wedding band I *adored* to wear all the time. I do love eternity bands, and they do look great alone, so I suppose I''d try have that as my official wedding band, and have plain one(s) as alternates or mixy matchy pieces. If that made any sense whatsoever!
40.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I always knew I wanted a band that I could wear 24/7, on its own on occasions... So I found something that''s studier than my 1.5mm high-set ering, but still has some bling; a 2mm band (2.5mm on the bottom) with 9 0.01ct diamonds. I do prefer the look of them together, but when I''ll take off the e-ring to protect it, I''ll probably keep the w-band.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Musey, I''d get both. I have a plain wedding band I can wear if I''m doing housework and might end up running errands in the process. I don''t like to be "naked" without my ring in public, but I don''t want to hurt it doing every day chores. Most of the time I wear my diamond band/e-ring (they are soldered together) but I totally KWYM about wanting something virtually indestructable/sizeable/never go out of style type ring. If you can swing it, I''d get both and get married with the fancy one, but have the utilitarian one for when you really don''t want to wear the diamonds.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
I went through the same thing. In the end I chose the band that looks good with my ering because I like the extra bling look of both rings together. But I think I might miss the way the ering looks alone -it''s so gorgeous, I feel like the band might...I dunno...take something away from it. Maybe someday I''ll get another band (stackables!) and wear my ering on the right hand....whenever I go to NYC for work I always see women wearing their erings on their right hands because they''re so enormous that a band won''t fit on the same finger.

And I have heard that the "traditional" way to wear your engagement ring after being married is on the right hand, with the band alone on the left. Not until I started looking at other people''s jewelry did I notice how different people do different things with their rings. So...it''s totally up to you.

Besides, whatever you pick, you know you''ll change it later on anyway.
25.gif

Good luck choosing...and have fun. It''ll be a beautiful "set" no matter what.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At the moment, I generally wear the e-ring on one hand and the wedding ring on the other, but that''s mostly because the e-ring is loose on The Designated Ceremonial Ring Finger ... when it''s warm enough, they join forces, and after I go back to NY to have them sized, they''ll be permanently united. I designed the wedding band to "mesh" with the e-ring stylistically, and I love the way they look together, but I really wanted something that I could wear 24/7 ... so it''s an etoile-esque band that I can wear even when I''m working with my hands without feeling terribly guilty. I''m also a diamond clean-freak (ironic, considering my general outlook on tidiness), and while I''d love an eternity band in the future, I didn''t want one for that particular day-to-day, in-and-out, through thick-and-thin-and-grime purpose.

I love the suggestion that a number of people have made above, of getting both, either for the ceremony itself or, as you suggested yourself, of having one as the "official" ring, and one as a highly symbolic gift from your husband. After all, it''s nice to have options ... and this way, you can wear the plain band full time, and add the other two as you see fit ....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
At the minute I am wearing just my solitaire. When we renew our vows in September, I will wear a wedding band with the e-ring. I also quite like the idea of a shared prong band to wear when we go out somewhere special. So I can bling myself up a bit!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results