shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you wash your towels?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
I''m extremely curious about how other people wash their towels.

I wash them with detergent and then dry them using a bounce sheet.

BF''s mom has left us with instructions on how to wash the towels and underlined for us not to use any fabric softner.
Her towels are insanely rough though!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I don't use fabric softener, ever. It makes me itchy and I hate the smell. I just wash the towels with detergent and toss them in the dryer, and I've never thought they were scratchy. If you hang them to dry rather than putting them in the dryer, though, they definitely get crispy!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think fabric softener messes w/the fibers and ability to absorb water.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I use All or Tide detergent and Downy fabric softener. I use the softener mostly because of husbands boxers. He says they are too scratchy without it. I do use softener on my towels, but I use less.

It does make them softer, but makes them less absorbant(sp?). My grandmother used tons in hers and when you would wrap your hair up in a towel the water would run down your neck because they didn''t absorb hardly any water.

That is the reason she gave you those instructions.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I wash with detergent and toss in dryer on high for 40 min. I love my towels nice and toasty. They come out fluffy

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I know that liquid fabric softener has a waterproofing effect on fabric if you use it too often, but I thought the dryer sheets were ok.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to the bad absorbency of fabric softener-ed towels.

I use a used dryer sheet, just enough softness without affecting absorbency too much.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I love fabric softener and DH hates it. He refers to it as the anti-absorption liquid. He REFUSES to use it in any laundry, especially towels. I''ll be honest, I can''t tell a difference between the absorption ability towels he washes without fabric softener and the ones I wash with.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on the quality of towel you buy too. And I have also thought of saving electricity and hanging my towels out to dry on a nice hot summer day - bad move - sand paper city! OUCH!

I usually wash mine with detergent then put them in the dryer with a Bounce sheet. I think the number of towels you put in the dryer also affects the dry towel outcome.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never use fabric softener on towels. I find too, that they don''t absorb as well. This also includes kitchen towels.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 12:22:21 AM
Author: Linda W
I never use fabric softener on towels. I find too, that they don''t absorb as well. This also includes kitchen towels.
So maybe that''s what has been happening with some of mine...

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We use detergent and Bounce. Too much fabric softener can change how absorbent the towels are, but I''ve never had that problem with the Bounce sheets. We like really soft, fluffy towels.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like my towels smelling like perfume or any scent other than just freshly washed. So I don''t use fabric softener. I like to use hot water to wash them in.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 2:19:25 AM
Author: swingirl
I don''t like my towels smelling like perfume or any scent other than just freshly washed. So I don''t use fabric softener. I like to use hot water to wash them in.
DITTO....no likey smelly towels!

Lori

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I wash my towels in hot water heavy duty cycle. I don''t use fabric softener either due to skin allergies of 2 of my kids. My towels are nice and soft even without it.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on where you live. If I didn''t put Downy in my washes, you wouldn''t want to use my towels (or wear the clothes for that matter). Without Downy my clothes, sheets and towels would as stiff as sand paper. I use Downy dryer sheets too.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Dryer Balls! Makes the towels soft..without the use of dryer sheets.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Her towels may be rough because that's what kind of towels they are.

Absolutely no fabric softener !

Here's one - put white vinegar in the rinse water. It softens them (and cuts residue). Do a Google search for vinegar in your laundry's rinse. It's great.

And dryer balls. (Or a lightweight clean old sneaker).

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I had never heard before not to use fabric softener on towels! Interesting!

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t use fabric softner with towels, I just put in the washing detergent and then put them in the dryer for an hour or so.. they come out all warm and fluffy
9.gif

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hot water and bleach. The thought of body germs on towels really freaks me out, so the towels must be bleached. I only buy white towels, btw. Then into the dryer, no fabric softener.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the dryer balls! Soft and fluffy w/o fabric softener.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 8:50:56 AM
Author: beau13
Dryer Balls! Makes the towels soft..without the use of dryer sheets.

Ditto! This is what we do.

When I was a costume design major in undergrad I was seriously reprimanded by the head of wardrobe for washing a load of the theatre''s towels with dryer sheets. She told me they make towels less absorbent.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't use fabric softener for anything.

Towels I wash in All Free in Clear and then toss in the dryer. For face cloths, I wash in hot water and toss in dryer.

Laundry in general, I'm very particular and hang dry all my clothes except undies!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I thought everyone knew you didn''t use fabric softener on towels
33.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never use fabric softener in the wash. Wash towels together, hot water, dry with dryer sheet. Works for me.

PS: leaving instructions for washing *her* towels, or yours? Or did I miss something.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 12:41:13 AM
Author: Elegant
Date: 7/11/2009 12:22:21 AM

Author: Linda W

So maybe that''s what has been happening with some of mine...

Ditto, I dry them off for the last 10 mins or so in the dryer and they come out soft and fluffy, no fab softener needed
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is interesting reading. I never thought about it but I use dryer sheet. I may have to try the dryer ball sometimes.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
It''s very interesting to see what everybody does. I think I''ll stick to using my Bounce though, I love how soft my towels are!

She was leaving me a note on how to wash her towels(because her washing machine might break).

I appreciate you ladies letting me know what you do.
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just read yesterday that if you pour in 1/2 cup vinegar in the wash, it removes odors, brightens, and reduces static. Just thought I''d share.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results