shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you prefer to set a cushion gemstone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Just getting some ideas/opinions
HOw do you prefer to set a cushion gemstone eg sapphire
along the finger (north south) or perpendicular to the finger (east west)??
what if the gemstone is for a man''s ring that is set somewhat into the ring as oppose to being held up high on prong?

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like both n-s and e-w. I really like this n-s men's setting from The Natural Sapphire Company, link.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something small, EW. Something large, NS.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d presume it also depends on the hand. If the fingers are shapely and slender (some men have beautiful hands!) then you could get away with either N-S or E-W. If the fingers are short and chubby, then N-S is better unless the stone is small and narrow.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 9:31:17 PM
Author: Burberrygirl
I like both n-s and e-w. I really like this n-s men''s setting from The Natural Sapphire Company, link.

nice.. thanks for this link.. but i an feeling more of a e-w style so that the ring will not be bulky. the thicker the man''s band, the more gold to fill up all that width = $$$$$$

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 9:56:36 PM
Author: crasru
I''d presume it also depends on the hand. If the fingers are shapely and slender (some men have beautiful hands!) then you could get away with either N-S or E-W. If the fingers are short and chubby, then N-S is better unless the stone is small and narrow.

haha whats short and stubby for a man?
mine''s suppose to be size 8 and semi slender ...lol

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, love the E/W profile for a men''s ring.... so whatcha thinking of?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
another option
but changing the square engraving into a cushion engraving in the middle of the top surface.hhaha

i actually dont know
i am always searching haha
there are not many out there that i actually think suits me.

this is one work in progress project.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
For a square cushion, I like that ring...kite set would be nice.

Laura

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
had some time to look through for some mens' ring...

First row is from greenlakejewelry.com
and the second and bottom is from coffinandtrout.com

Just some ideas for you

mensringdt110.JPG

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 10:50:01 PM
Author: Largosmom
For a square cushion, I like that ring...kite set would be nice.

Laura

yeah but this might work for rectangle cushion =)
but i dont like that crazy gold design...><"

276082796_tp.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think center stones for men''s rings always look better e-w.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 10:16:20 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
Date: 2/1/2010 9:56:36 PM

Author: crasru

haha whats short and stubby for a man?

mine''s suppose to be size 8 and semi slender ...lol

Then yours are slim and shapely!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 11:01:34 PM
Author: D&T
had some time to look through for some mens'' ring...

First row is from greenlakejewelry.com

and the second and bottom is from coffinandtrout.com

Just some ideas for you

God, D@T, the second row is amazing. Really classy! And greenlakejewelry is 15 miles away from me! I have browsed through their website - not cheap, but they have good materials and if you choose something already made it might work.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
To me, it would depend on a number of factors such as; size and shape of the hand, size and shape of fingers, size of the stone, color and tone of the stone, style of the ring, setting method implemented, choice of metal(s), use of side or accent stones... I know I''m not of much help here
1.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
So...like Mr Ma Re, I think it depends on the setting quite a bit. You might laugh...but a paper cutout on the finger might give you an idea of what looks good on yours...or lots of in-person shopping since the selection at any one shop is so slim for rings like this. Have you already found your stone...and is this a wedding band or right hand ring?

I tend to like the E-W settings or kite-set myself, but kite set on a rectangular stone would feel wonky to me unless the setting was particularly suited to it.

Laura

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well Mark, do you have short and stubby fingers or long slender ones? My husband wears a size 10 but has a long slender fingers and jewelery looks fantastic on him (thats when I can get him to wear it)

Are you looking at a rectangular cushion or a square? You may want to go E/W instead of N/S in for a rectangular cushion All I can say is my husband personally likes chunkier jewelery because otherwise it looks too "girl like" (his words, not mine)

-A

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
i think my fingers are in between but more towards the longer slender side. i really love colours and am thinking of having this as a wedding band.
i am in the midst of considering a rectangle cushion blue sapphire
36.gif
36.gif
31.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Well, all I can say is get the stone...then fit the setting to the stone...I did it backwards and am very happy with the end result, but I may have had a slightly larger stone had I done it right way round!

Looking forward to photos--and best wishes for the perfect ring.

Laura

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I like N-S better, but I think E-W would also work well in a more masculine type of setting like you''re describing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/2/2010 4:39:59 PM
i think my fingers are in between but more towards the longer slender side. i really love colours and am thinking of having this as a wedding band.
36.gif
36.gif
31.gif
Nice! can''t wait to see it!

-A

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that one way may look better on your fingers than the other. Now if you are setting it flush into a band I bet you could go either way. I really like the E/W look, it''s a bit trendy but classic IMO.

HTH

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

36.gif
36.gif
31.gif

Just in case you didn''t see the thread, we''re attempting to plan a March GTG in Boston. We can take you shopping and give advice in person.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
OH AHH
when is this? i did not see the thread

i want to look at other people''s collections of nice cool gemstones.. =)

haha

Date: 2/3/2010 11:11:37 AM
Author: Kismet

36.gif
36.gif
31.gif

Just in case you didn''t see the thread, we''re attempting to plan a March GTG in Boston. We can take you shopping and give advice in person.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 2:44:40 PM
OH AHH

when is this? i did not see the thread

i want to look at other people''s collections of nice cool gemstones.. =)

haha

You can find the thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results