shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you package jewelry for shipping?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a $5,000.00 limit...

I have sometimes used an arbitrary value of $500 for this type of thing -- because, in my mind, it is high enough that a loss/theft will get investigated and low enough that it is not worth a new employee risking their job over. But that's just me and the To: and From: lines are always generic -- not "Joe's Loose Diamonds and Gems."

We have (well, had) an excellent B&M jeweler and my sibs used to send me things to take to this shop to get repaired/re-sized.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There is a $5,000.00 limit on the insurance you can buy.

I believe the max for Registered ,mail is $50,000. I also suggest you not underinsure your jewelry when shipping. if you have a problem with a $25,000 package that you only insured for $5,000, the insurance company may try to claim you are underinsuring the value and self insuring the risk. Since you only insured 20% of the value they will pay 20% of the $5,000.

Insurance companies will pay if you pay and play by the rules. If you get caught fudging in any way, they will delight in taking it out of YOUR pocket...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes ma'am. DKJ will cover up to $70k, I believe.

I think it was $75k when I shipped Winter..I wouldn’t have shipped Winter at $70k without meds of some kind.. :lol: I don’t take any fun meds so I would probably be sitting here with Winter in her former setting..

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd do what a PS vendor recommended.
Go to FedEx or UPS and get two boxes, one smaller than the other.

Put the item in the smaller box.
Seal it.
Then put the small box into the larger box.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're going to insure it be sure you have proof of the value you are insuring for.
Examples: Recent appraisal or receipt.

Without proof a claim for loss will be denied.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're going to insure it be sure you have proof of the value you are insuring for.
Examples: Recent appraisal or receipt.

Without proof a claim for loss will be denied.

I agree..Appraisals are usually inflated. A recent receipt..or a receipt with a current appraisal is a must…for sure..Even if the appraisal is inflated..in combination with the receipt…there’s a good idea what it’s worth..

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it was $75k when I shipped Winter..I wouldn’t have shipped Winter at $70k without meds of some kind.. :lol: I don’t take any fun meds so I would probably be sitting here with Winter in her former setting..

No - you're right. It was 75k.
I can't imagine losing Beloved. I think diamond prices have come down a trifle recently but even so. T'would break my heart.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results