shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you package jewelry for shipping?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Just sent off a bracelet to be sized, and as I was going through my whole packaging routine, I thought it would be interesting to see how different people package jewelry to ship.

I recognize that I am prone to overkill, but this is my recipe for successful jewelry shipping (largely informed by shipping experiences with @Wink , who I figure, has been around long enough to know what’s up):

—-Place item, secure in some sort of jewelry box, inside a small FedEx box. Pad so that it doesn’t slide around.
—Seal small Fed Ex box. Tape all edges.
—Place extra shipping label on front of small box.
—Place small box in medium FedEx box. Seal box.
—Apply label. Tape over entire label with clear packing tape.

Here’s my secret sauce:
—Seal all edges of box with clear packing tape.
—Go back and seal some more.
—Wait, you missed a spot. It must be HERMETICALLY SEALED.

My thought is that this box is not accidentally getting open. If it does get opened by some sort of package thief, they’re likely to be irritated by the secondary boxing. And it will have a label so FedEx would still know where it was going.

I do feel slightly bad for whoever has to open it on the other end, though.

What’s your method?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Follow up question:

Is there a value limit to what you would be comfortable shipping with a vendor label? We see a lot of *really* nice rings around PS, and I’m wondering at what point one becomes reluctant to toss it in a FedEx box for sizing, prong work, etc. Or does it matter if you get a vendor label? Do they insure you for the full amount?

Y’all are getting random rainy day Tonks musings.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my secret sauce:
I share this requirement… :lol:
I also use my own glue. I don’t trust the glue under the stickies on those boxes!

And yeah, maybe this too :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like to tape the outermost box or bag length way and width way with brown packaging tapes.
The labels applied on top and secured using clear sticky tape, or handwritten using permanent marker pens.

DK :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wrap my packages the same way you do for FedEx. I use David Klass’ label..It’s insured under his insurance company. I mailed my 3.01 F VS1 ACA to him using his label. That should give you an idea how stressed out I was sending it to him. I will not ever do that again because I have numerous white hairs after doing that. There wasn’t a problem but I stressed so much that I bugged @mrs-b until he got it! :lol:
When I sell something I mail it insured through the post office sealing every opening…I use so much tape..It’s ridiculous. My husband watched me once….mesmerized..hahaha

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tape all the edges on the outer box if it is the FedEx box-within-a-box model -- because this is what every vendor does.

It's not that I think the inner box will magically slip out through an untaped seam but rather to help make it immediately apparent if the box has been tampered with. If there is evidence of tampering or re-taping, I will not accept a package. This has never happened. I would not use so much redundant tape that it is a red flag!

Ever since FedEx tossed a high-value package on our doormat without having me sign (even though it was signature-guarantee), I only have important packages delivered to a FedEx near me and held for pick-up. Bit of a nuisance but I can quickly look at the package. Some have (slightly) bashed corners and near-punctures but never an opened one. I am always careful to not treat it too carefully at FedEx (carry it by a corner and literally toss it in the trunk) lest someone think it is valuable.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a value limit to what you would be comfortable shipping with a vendor label? We see a lot of *really* nice rings around PS, and I’m wondering at what point one becomes reluctant to toss it in a FedEx box for sizing, prong work, etc. Or does it matter if you get a vendor label?

For a vendor I know: no. They are insured. I own no six-figure jewelry but my limit would be above that threshold.

I used to be more worried but then I realized that I "let" my kids drive and ski and rock-climb and cycle and travel off the grid here and abroad and they do get hurt and they truly are priceless. Jewelry is just "things." Don't get me wrong: I really love some things. But I can live just fine without 'em.

For something that I already own and that has irreplaceable sentimental value, I may wait for an in-person trip. But these would not be the highest dollar-value things.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just sent off a bracelet to be sized, and as I was going through my whole packaging routine, I thought it would be interesting to see how different people package jewelry to ship.

I recognize that I am prone to overkill, but this is my recipe for successful jewelry shipping (largely informed by shipping experiences with @Wink , who I figure, has been around long enough to know what’s up):

—-Place item, secure in some sort of jewelry box, inside a small FedEx box. Pad so that it doesn’t slide around.
—Seal small Fed Ex box. Tape all edges.
—Place extra shipping label on front of small box.
—Place small box in medium FedEx box. Seal box.
—Apply label. Tape over entire label with clear packing tape.

Here’s my secret sauce:

My thought is that this box is not accidentally getting open. If it does get opened by some sort of package thief, they’re likely to be irritated by the secondary boxing. And it will have a label so FedEx would still know where it was going.

What’s your method?

I've sent Beloved back and forth to DKJ more than once for tweaking. I never ship her. She's way beyond their insurable limit and I'm not prepared to take the financial risk. Consequently, she's transported tenderly - either by me when I'm heading out to my home in LA, or by my daughter, who goes back and forth between Boston (where my main home is) and LA pretty regularly.

Shipping her?? <shudder> Not EVER!
(If, on the other hand, she was within the insurable limit - sure, why not?)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a vendor I know: no. They are insured. I own no six-figure jewelry but my limit would be above that threshold.

I used to be more worried but then I realized that I "let" my kids drive and ski and rock-climb and cycle and travel off the grid here and abroad and they do get hurt and they truly are priceless. Jewelry is just "things." Don't get me wrong: I really love some things. But I can live just fine without 'em.

For something that I already own and that has irreplaceable sentimental value, I may wait for an in-person trip. But these would not be the highest dollar-value things.

If my bling wants to take up skiing and rock climbing I’ll be putting it into bling-jail. Just to clarify. :twisted2:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I pretty much follow your procedure Tonks. But what erks me, is that they ask what is being shipped. I've answered that it is nothing dangerous, hoping that that would be sufficient, but have been asked again what it is. IT was my (now) daughter-in-laws engagement ring going back to James Allen for sizing! It was under their label, but crap, that was two days of no sleep! How do you all answer that question, if asked?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I wrap my packages the same way you do for FedEx. I use David Klass’ label..It’s insured under his insurance company. I mailed my 3.01 F VS1 ACA to him using his label. That should give you an idea how stressed out I was sending it to him. I will not ever do that again because I have numerous white hairs after doing that. There wasn’t a problem but I stressed so much that I bugged @mrs-b until he got it! :lol:
When I sell something I mail it insured through the post office sealing every opening…I use so much tape..It’s ridiculous. My husband watched me once….mesmerized..hahaha
Ohhhhh yikes. I cannot imagine the stress of shipping a three carat ACA! Was it overnight shipping so you didn’t have to suffer long?

I tape all the edges on the outer box if it is the FedEx box-within-a-box model -- because this is what every vendor does.

It's not that I think the inner box will magically slip out through an untaped seam but rather to help make it immediately apparent if the box has been tampered with. If there is evidence of tampering or re-taping, I will not accept a package. This has never happened. I would not use so much redundant tape that it is a red flag!

Ever since FedEx tossed a high-value package on our doormat without having me sign (even though it was signature-guarantee), I only have important packages delivered to a FedEx near me and held for pick-up. Bit of a nuisance but I can quickly look at the package. Some have (slightly) bashed corners and near-punctures but never an opened one. I am always careful to not treat it too carefully at FedEx (carry it by a corner and literally toss it in the trunk) lest someone think it is valuable.
Yes, the taping to show evidence of tampering is absolutely one of the reasons I do it as well.

That is really not confidence inspiring that FedEx tossed a signature required package on your doorstep and just left it! The last several items I have had shipped to me we have had held at a FedEx near us, mostly for scheduling reasons. I think I will continue to do it because it is just so nice not to be freaked out all day that you will miss a delivery. And the idea of it ending up just sitting on the stoop is really not good!

I just don’t know what the limit should be for shipping. Not that it’s an issue for me at the moment, but I’m honestly curious.

I've sent Beloved back and forth to DKJ more than once for tweaking. I never ship her. She's way beyond their insurable limit and I'm not prepared to take the financial risk. Consequently, she's transported tenderly - either by me when I'm heading out to my home in LA, or by my daughter, who goes back and forth between Boston (where my main home is) and LA pretty regularly.

Shipping her?? <shudder> Not EVER!
(If, on the other hand, she was within the insurable limit - sure, why not?)

HOLD UP. Insurable limit??? THERE’S A LIMIT?!?!? What is this limit? Is it different from vendor to vendor? Yikes! I did not know there was a limit. But that is a chillin thought. And it does make you think that you’d want to keep the value of your pieces under your chosen vendor’s limit.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOLD UP. Insurable limit??? THERE’S A LIMIT?!?!?

Looks like FedEx maximum insurance is $2,000 but they have a jewelry program that is up to $100K (I have never seen that used).

The NYC vendors seem to use third-party insurance. I presume that is independent of FedEx insurance limits. I don't think a six-figure shipment is even a big deal. I don't know what @mrs-b 's "Beloved" is but I don't think I have seen many PS-owned six-figure purchases.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I pretty much follow your procedure Tonks. But what erks me, is that they ask what is being shipped. I've answered that it is nothing dangerous, hoping that that would be sufficient, but have been asked again what it is. IT was my (now) daughter-in-laws engagement ring going back to James Allen for sizing! It was under their label, but crap, that was two days of no sleep! How do you all answer that question, if asked?

I always struggle with that, too. They didn’t ask me today, but if they had, I was prepared to say it was a keychain. I really don’t want to say jewelry.

I read someone on a forum (maybe this one, can’t remember) said ”rocks and minerals“ when asked.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like FedEx maximum insurance is $2,000 but they have a jewelry program that is up to $100K (I have never seen that used).

The NYC vendors seem to use third-party insurance. I presume that is independent of FedEx insurance limits. I don't think a six-figure shipment is even a big deal. I don't know what @mrs-b 's "Beloved" is but I don't think I have seen many PS-owned six-figure purchases.

I didn’t realize FedEx had insurance. I was more talking about the third party vendor insurance (which I’m assuming covers you when you use a vendor generated label).

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always struggle with that, too. They didn’t ask me today, but if they had, I was prepared to say it was a keychain. I really don’t want to say jewelry.

I think you say something that confirms it is super-important but useless to anyone else. Hard-copy contract, document, custom-made machine part, commercial samples, etc., depending upon weight.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HOLD UP. Insurable limit??? THERE’S A LIMIT?!?!? What is this limit? Is it different from vendor to vendor? Yikes! I did not know there was a limit. But that is a chillin thought. And it does make you think that you’d want to keep the value of your pieces under your chosen vendor’s limit.

Yes ma'am. DKJ will cover up to $70k, I believe.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Tonks It was supposed to be overnight shipping but it wound up taking a little longer. My insurance company doesn’t cover the ring during a reset. The fact that he covers it during a reset is amazing. I don’t know any jewelers that do that unless they sell you the diamond. It didn’t totally cover what I paid..but it was close enough. If he told me to send it to his house I would. Once he had it I didn’t worry. He covered it again on the way back to me. It was seamless but pretty nerve wracking when it was in transit.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I didn’t realize FedEx had insurance. I was more talking about the third party vendor insurance (which I’m assuming covers you when you use a vendor generated label).

Tonks hits the proper procedure for shipping correctly when using Fedex. Two boxes, lots of tape and a label on each box.

As far as insurance, please never send anything of important value in a self insured box. The small print may get you insured for nothing, or maybe a hundred dollars or... I have heard way too many nightmare stories.

We vendors carry insurance of our own, or ship through a company such as Parcel Pro who provides us with good solid, pay if lost, insurance. We do have limits. I once sold a 4.95 carat super ideal cut diamond of high color and clarity which I never got to see as it was beyond the insurance limit for shipping to Idaho. When the diamond was received, John Pollard flew it to New York and met with our client. Same thing with our large D-Flawless we sold a few years ago. The two largest and most perfect diamonds as yet sold by me, and I never got to see either one of them.

Many years ago I sold a 2.09ct. D-IF and the cost of insurance to ship it back then was more than a round trip ticket to Detroit. My client chose to fly me to Detroit rather than pay the shipping and I got to visit the Detroit Institute of Art for its reopening party after a renovation. I stayed with my client, we had a fabulous meal at their favorite restaurant, which I paid the bill on when I went to the rest room. We talked at the table for nearly an hour before my client asked the garçon where the bill was. The look on his face was priceless as he told me he never let guests pay for dinner.

I told him one of my bucket list items was to sell a 2 ct.+ D-IF and since he had made it possible, I wanted to buy dinner. I knew he would not let me, so I did it while out of the room. We had a good laugh and I flew home the next morning.

springerspaniel

Brilliant_Rock
1. When the shipper asks what is in the box, I turn bright red and say, "art." Worst poker player in the world...
2. Someone on this forum once referred to the packaging method that apparently several of us, including @Tonks, use as "the B and D, S and M wrapping method." I use so much tape that the people behind the desk at FedEx stand there and laugh sometimes, offering to pack my "art" up next time...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. When the shipper asks what is in the box, I turn bright red and say, "art." Worst poker player in the world...
2. Someone on this forum once referred to the packaging method that apparently several of us, including @Tonks, use as "the B and D, S and M wrapping method." I use so much tape that the people behind the desk at FedEx stand there and laugh sometimes, offering to pack my "art" up next time...

@springerspaniel - I always say "Decorative button". :mrgreen:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Tonks hits the proper procedure for shipping correctly when using Fedex. Two boxes, lots of tape and a label on each box.

As far as insurance, please never send anything of important value in a self insured box. The small print may get you insured for nothing, or maybe a hundred dollars or... I have heard way too many nightmare stories.

We vendors carry insurance of our own, or ship through a company such as Parcel Pro who provides us with good solid, pay if lost, insurance. We do have limits. I once sold a 4.95 carat super ideal cut diamond of high color and clarity which I never got to see as it was beyond the insurance limit for shipping to Idaho. When the diamond was received, John Pollard flew it to New York and met with our client. Same thing with our large D-Flawless we sold a few years ago. The two largest and most perfect diamonds as yet sold by me, and I never got to see either one of them.

Many years ago I sold a 2.09ct. D-IF and the cost of insurance to ship it back then was more than a round trip ticket to Detroit. My client chose to fly me to Detroit rather than pay the shipping and I got to visit the Detroit Institute of Art for its reopening party after a renovation. I stayed with my client, we had a fabulous meal at their favorite restaurant, which I paid the bill on when I went to the rest room. We talked at the table for nearly an hour before my client asked the garçon where the bill was. The look on his face was priceless as he told me he never let guests pay for dinner.

I told him one of my bucket list items was to sell a 2 ct.+ D-IF and since he had made it possible, I wanted to buy dinner. I knew he would not let me, so I did it while out of the room. We had a good laugh and I flew home the next morning.

Wow, Wink, you have sold some incredible stones!!!!!

So, this knowledge that there are limits on vendors’ insurance does make me think it would be prudent to ask what those limits are *prior* to a large stone purchase, at least if one had intentions of shipping a piece back and forth to be set (and thoughts that it might need to be sized or otherwise worked on in the future). I can’t imagine buying something and then finding out that you’d need to hand deliver it to ensure it got there safely.

Also glad to know my packaging method is legit! (And sheesh, I need to buy more tape now.)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks It was supposed to be overnight shipping but it wound up taking a little longer. My insurance company doesn’t cover the ring during a reset. The fact that he covers it during a reset is amazing. I don’t know any jewelers that do that unless they sell you the diamond. It didn’t totally cover what I paid..but it was close enough. If he told me to send it to his house I would. Once he had it I didn’t worry. He covered it again on the way back to me. It was seamless but pretty nerve wracking when it was in transit.

Sweet mother of all things bling, @MamaBee - I don't know how you held your breakfast down! Seriously!! We would chat, and then I'd go talk to Tim and say "Her diamond is with the shipper....uuuughhhhh!!" Or..."TIM!!! Her diamond is LATE!!! ARRRGHHHHH!!!!"

I was calm on the phone, but I was completely freaking out for you in private!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sweet mother of all things bling, @MamaBee - I don't know how you held your breakfast down! Seriously!! We would chat, and then I'd go talk to Tim and say "Her diamond is with the shipper....uuuughhhhh!!" Or..."TIM!!! Her diamond is LATE!!! ARRRGHHHHH!!!!"

I was calm on the phone, but I was completely freaking out for you in private!

Don’t tell anyone @mrs-b:cool2:but I’m thinking of EVENTUALLY resetting Emmy..my three stone emerald cut ring. I keep thinking of making her a sort of solitaire with diamonds going down the sides but not one diamond on each side. I would make the emerald cut .70’s (1.40 ctw) into studs…I’m afraid to tell my husband..:lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don’t tell anyone @mrs-b:cool2:but I’m thinking of EVENTUALLY resetting Emmy..my three stone emerald cut ring. I keep thinking of making her a sort of solitaire with diamonds going down the sides but not one diamond on each side. I would make the emerald cut .70’s (1.40 ctw) into studs…I’m afraid to tell my husband..:lol:

Oooooohhhhh, @MamaBee! The secrets I'm keeping from T re planned jewelry projects are MANY. So I hear you on this!

I think Emmy is perfect as is - but I also think you have EXCELLENT taste - so I know whatever you do will be exquisite!
I'm going to end up with 3 all-diamond rings (not counting eternities) - Beloved, my cluster, and my 5 stone (which will be about 3.7ctw - so a tad larger than your average 5 stone. I just can't wear more than that and hate the idea of things sitting, unworn. I have to be honest - of all your gorgeous pieces, my favorite is your yellow gold bezel; major swoooooon!!

Having said the above, tho...I think I have room for a warm, bezeled OEC, don't I? I mean - don't I??

Surely.... SURELY??!

:mrgreen:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
I just finished packing up my last jewelry and gemstones to send to my niece in Ca. I have demantoid garnets (3) tsavorite garnets (2), and 2 spessertite garnets, I have two sets of diamond studs, and a 1 ctw diamond ring plus other rings(not very valuable) I plan to send them priority mail and just looked up the insurance rates. There is a $5,000.00 limit on the insurance you can buy. I only have proof of the value of the diamond studs so it does not pay for me to insure above that amount because I can't prove what they are worth. The stones were bought so long ago, 15 yrs, that I threw out the paper work.

I realized how my brain is embedded with being cheap. Initially I was outraged at the cost of the insurance. Then I had a little talk with myself. Yesterday and the day before the stock market went up and my portfolio gained more than $50,000. I embarrassed myself. Yes, Annette, you can afford to pay $60.00 for insurance.

So, my package is ready to go. My nurse will take it to the post office on Tuesday. I will still worry until it arrives at its proper destination.

Annette

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooooohhhhh, @MamaBee! The secrets I'm keeping from T re planned jewelry projects are MANY. So I hear you on this!

I think Emmy is perfect as is - but I also think you have EXCELLENT taste - so I know whatever you do will be exquisite!
I'm going to end up with 3 all-diamond rings (not counting eternities) - Beloved, my cluster, and my 5 stone (which will be about 3.7ctw - so a tad larger than your average 5 stone. I just can't wear more than that and hate the idea of things sitting, unworn. I have to be honest - of all your gorgeous pieces, my favorite is your yellow gold bezel; major swoooooon!!

Having said the above, tho...I think I have room for a warm, bezeled OEC, don't I? I mean - don't I??

Surely.... SURELY??!

:mrgreen:

@mrs-b Yes…..You certainly do need a warm..bezeled OEC…I’ve been thinking of getting one myself but I slapped myself..:twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results