shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you name your rings?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t usually name my rings. I don’t want it to feel forced so if it doesn’t come to me naturally, I don’t bother.

Here are the ones with names:

Cherry Bomb
(Named by a fellow PSer)
D7DC4CEE-D771-424F-AFE3-EB5C4F6BEB5F.jpeg

Big Blue
(Simply because I called him that in a dream, back when I bought the tourmaline).
16F08A38-CBBD-4D6D-B86A-044D13FEC434.jpeg

Sweet Pea
(No clue why. It just popped out, I think)
89835FF3-79DD-4286-886E-628363562B4A.jpeg

Clover
(For obvious clover shaped reasons)
A2A25E29-A6B8-4D64-83D6-8B4D9205733B.jpeg

Honorable mention to my Watermelon ring. Not technically it’s name, but my mom always refers to it as my watermelon ring so here we are.
DCF5D25E-E104-4401-9DB5-505EB20D87FA.jpeg

As I write this out, I’m realizing I have names for more of my rings than I’d realized. :lol:

Those are fantastic names! Cherry Bomb is just perfect. Really they all are!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Only one ring I own is named, and that is Esther, my 3 stone sapphire trilogy in blackened platinum.

She's the only piece I own that truly feels like "me", so combining that feeling with her being a 10 year anniversary piece felt momentous somehow, like I was not only starting to come into my own in many aspects of my life, as well as a celebration of doing that along side and with my partner.

Esther as a name has strong ties to my maternal lineage, it was the name of my great-great grandmother, passed down to my great-grandmother and grandmother too. The name Esther means "star", and it just felt right that my cheesy "past, present, and future" ring would be named for those who came before and guided me to where I am and I can reference as I continue forward.

Generally speaking, I don't plan to name my jewelry pieces, but if something comes up organically and just feels right, it will probably stick. I toyed with trying to name some of my pieces before, but nothing has ever stuck.

a.jpg

20230106_150332.jpg 20230205_184939.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I just realized I don't really name my rings either....I tried to name my 20th anniversary ring in one of my threads, but the name never stuck, and I never refer the ring by that name. I DO name my cars though......maybe I should be on a car forum?

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I just realized I don't really name my rings either....I tried to name my 20th anniversary ring in one of my threads, but the name never stuck, and I never refer the ring by that name. I DO name my cars though......maybe I should be on a car forum?

Haha, I love this! I've named my cars in the past too , as well as my computers. I also named the xray tubehead at work (He's Fredrick, and Fredrick likes to drift away sometimes, totally messing up the radiograph I'm trying to take. We're good 99.9% of the time, as I've learned his idiosyncrasies, but every once in a blue moon...).

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Hahahaha! Who has enough cars for that? For us, "Mazda" became "the old Mazda." That was an exciting day.

Ha, we did that with the new hybrid. I kept saying 'Hi, Brid!' So, the car is named Brid now. I didn't ask how the car felt about this.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hahahaha! Who has enough cars for that? For us, "Mazda" became "the old Mazda." That was an exciting day.

Well, we have 4 cars between my husband, myself, and my 20 and 18 year old kids...
I only name my car and my husband's car. I don't know if the kids name their cars. My previous Audi was "seabiscuit" for its brawny diesel engine, and horsepower, my current car is "Stitch" as in Lilo and Stitch the Disney character because it's blue/gray color and slanty headlights make it look like Stitch head on. Dh's car is Sea Monkey....'cos compared to Seabiscuit and Stitch, it looks like an ugly Sea Monkey!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to have Saabs, mine was Magnus, and DH’s was Sven :lol:

The SatNav in DH’s was Ingrid.

I don’t name any of my jewelry in the sense of giving it an unrelated name. I will do stuff like calling a band I have “dadiji ring” because it used to belong to my Dadiji (paternal grandmother). Or I have this cluster ring I bought some time ago and that’s my “flower ring” because it looks like a flower. The most “out there” name I have for any jewelry of mine is for a pair of jadau and enamel earrings. They are multicoloured so I call them my Candy Jadau earrings :D

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Mine just pop into my head. I'm irreverent so sometimes the names are ridiculous but I'm a ridiculous person so it fits.

Top to bottom

Rosebud (coz she's pink)
Sapphy (blue sapphire)
Solly (Solasfera solitaire)
Paunchy (5 stone. Looks chubby.)
Gobby (I was gobsmacked when I saw him)
Valentina (coz she's a heart)

Screenshot_20230210-222540.png

Pinky (coz I wear her on my pinky)
Pommo (reminds me of pomegranate)
Gigantosaurus (a spready pear)

Screenshot_20230210-222422.png

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
My first diamond that I had before my upgrade was named Lentil. She was two carats but felt like a lentil next to the honkers on here. This was when I first joined PS. Her setting just swallowed her up. When I reset her yet again I named her Libby because she was liberated from her cocoon..
I purchased my first ACA knowing that I was going to upgrade her the following year. She was an I color which was a little warm for me. I named her Summer Fling..shortened to Summer. When I upgraded to my last ACA she is an F so I named her Winter..the opposite of summer. My three stone emerald cut is named Emmy because she’s an emerald cut. Emmy and her babies..haha
My antique asscher is called Ashlee..
My cushion is named after @mrs-b. She found that gorgeous diamond but passed. Her name is Bee..

I love Lentil, such a cute name!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Mine just pop into my head. I'm irreverent so sometimes the names are ridiculous but I'm a ridiculous person so it fits.

Top to bottom

Rosebud (coz she's pink)
Sapphy (blue sapphire)
Solly (Solasfera solitaire)
Paunchy (5 stone. Looks chubby.)
Gobby (I was gobsmacked when I saw him)
Valentina (coz she's a heart)

Screenshot_20230210-222540.png

Pinky (coz I wear her on my pinky)
Pommo (reminds me of pomegranate)
Gigantosaurus (a spready pear)

Screenshot_20230210-222422.png

Love all those names!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Only one ring I own is named, and that is Esther, my 3 stone sapphire trilogy in blackened platinum.

She's the only piece I own that truly feels like "me", so combining that feeling with her being a 10 year anniversary piece felt momentous somehow, like I was not only starting to come into my own in many aspects of my life, as well as a celebration of doing that along side and with my partner.

Esther as a name has strong ties to my maternal lineage, it was the name of my great-great grandmother, passed down to my great-grandmother and grandmother too. The name Esther means "star", and it just felt right that my cheesy "past, present, and future" ring would be named for those who came before and guided me to where I am and I can reference as I continue forward.

Generally speaking, I don't plan to name my jewelry pieces, but if something comes up organically and just feels right, it will probably stick. I toyed with trying to name some of my pieces before, but nothing has ever stuck.

a.jpg

20230106_150332.jpg 20230205_184939.jpg

That ring is so stunning

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
We used to have Saabs, mine was Magnus, and DH’s was Sven :lol:

The SatNav in DH’s was Ingrid.

Lmao b/c we have Volvos and my husband’s is Sven.

We do name our cars, it seems. Even our kids have named theirs. After Melman from Madagascar.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I never named my rings until last year. It all started when I bought two loose OMCs within weeks of each other. One came with a name, Gisele, that was given by the vendor. I kept referring to the other one by its carat weight and Gisele by the name. Saying the carat weight became a mouthful and kind of annoying lol So when that one got set, I ended up naming it Cordelia (means “heart”) because of its setting. Then a few months later, when I had a pear set, I ended up naming it (encouraged by @lulu_ma who is very good at naming things btw!) Aurelia (means “the golden one”). This ring has a ton of fire from all of the old cut melee as well as the center stone so I wanted to name it something related to the sun and I liked how it rhymes with Cordelia lol

Those are the only 3 rings in my collection with names. I am actually very bad at naming things. Even with my kids, I had a hard time!! We didn’t make a final decision until after I gave birth both times lol

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I don't name my rings and I certainly never even considered the possibility before I joined PS. Maybe I should start. :D

To me a piece of jewellery having a name always seemed so... grand. Special. The pieces that have names all look like they deserve it. They're so unique, made of extremely rare and precious large, high quality gems. It seems only fitting that they receive their own name.

The jewellery I wear, on the other hand, is mostly unremarkable. My lifestyle (and budget) doesn't really allow much room for big gems, surrounded by sparkling halos in intricate settings. My pieces are understated to allow them to fit into my daily life, which is where I want them, not collecting dust in the jewellery box. And unremarkable and understated simply doesn't seem to go well with names, you know?

However, my most recent purchase kind of sorta in a way came with a name already attached to it. I bought the ring from a lovely fellow PSer and when she was initially purchasing the sapphire another PSer described it as a "drop of moonwater". This description stuck all the way through until the day it was listed for sale. And when I received it I noticed that the engraving on the band combined with the shape of it reminds me of a very thin crescent moon. So now I think of this ring as Moonwater. I technically didn't name it, but at the same time I see no reason to erase this part of its history.

F6B8D05C-56C5-4CF3-BA0F-C074A7E5F199.jpeg

2080B579-AAFA-4DCA-8882-30919F4C2096.jpeg

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I don't name my rings and I certainly never even considered the possibility before I joined PS. Maybe I should start. :D

To me a piece of jewellery having a name always seemed so... grand. Special. The pieces that have names all look like they deserve it. They're so unique, made of extremely rare and precious large, high quality gems. It seems only fitting that they receive their own name.

The jewellery I wear, on the other hand, is mostly unremarkable. My lifestyle (and budget) doesn't really allow much room for big gems, surrounded by sparkling halos in intricate settings. My pieces are understated to allow them to fit into my daily life, which is where I want them, not collecting dust in the jewellery box. And unremarkable and understated simply doesn't seem to go well with names, you know?

However, my most recent purchase kind of sorta in a way came with a name already attached to it. I bought the ring from a lovely fellow PSer and when she was initially purchasing the sapphire another PSer described it as a "drop of moonwater". This description stuck all the way through until the day it was listed for sale. And when I received it I noticed that the engraving on the band combined with the shape of it reminds me of a very thin crescent moon. So now I think of this ring as Moonwater. I technically didn't name it, but at the same time I see no reason to erase this part of its history.

F6B8D05C-56C5-4CF3-BA0F-C074A7E5F199.jpeg

2080B579-AAFA-4DCA-8882-30919F4C2096.jpeg

Moonwater is the perfect name! And what a beautiful ring!

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Oh I love naming things. Of course, I never named my rings before PS :lol: .

My first named ring, Josie, is now with Grace. At the time, she seemed over the top to me so she needed a name that matched-she's named for Josephine Bonaparte.

My pear cluster came from Germany-but I'm a Francophile-Colette seems right for her-because she was irresistible. There's always a (mental) method to my madness :rodent:

Curious minds want to know… did Josie find a new home yet?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is “Holly” :kiss2:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot believe i get to say this but yay!!!!!!! My anniversary ring will be incoming shortly, and it needs a name.

It’ll be an ACA set in a Vatche U113. The stone is 4.20 I VVS2.

Any suggestions?

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
I cannot believe i get to say this but yay!!!!!!! My anniversary ring will be incoming shortly, and it needs a name.

Any suggestions?

You must post pics!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Christinak

Shiny_Rock

Any suggestions?

Ivy - for I colour and VVS2?
Can’t wait to see her!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
You must post pics!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Don’t worry—I will! I still don’t know exactly when it will get here, but there will be lots of photos!

Ivy - for I colour and VVS2?
Can’t wait to see her!
Oooh, I like that! I had thought of I names but hadn’t thought to incorporate anything about the clarity. That’s fun!

Ooh, going with I: or Imogen, Isolde, Isobel, Ingrid or Iris!
I like all of those! One of them is on my list.

Note to y’all with teenagers: don’t ask them to help you name a ring. They think it should be Dwayne. As in, The Rock.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results