shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you name your rings?

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
We see a lot of beautiful rings on PS, and many of them have names. I’m curious, if you name your rings, how do you choose their names? Do they just come to you, or is there a process? It seems like some names are people names, some are keyed to the color of the stone, and others … I just don’t know, hence the thread.

To date, I have only named one ring (Emma), and it was sort of a haphazard process. I wanted her to be named after a strong feminist figure, and picked Emma Watson.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love naming things. Of course, I never named my rings before PS :lol: .

My first named ring, Josie, is now with Grace. At the time, she seemed over the top to me so she needed a name that matched-she's named for Josephine Bonaparte.

My pear cluster came from Germany-but I'm a Francophile-Colette seems right for her-because she was irresistible. There's always a (mental) method to my madness :rodent:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only named some of mine but I use an attribute of a piece to help come up with a name. Goldilocks (yellow OMC), Queen of Hearts (Art Deco setting with hearts), Martha Washington (an antique daisy ring) etc. A couple of pieces named themselves, like my Fiona pendant (in memory of our dog of the same name) and Pearl’s ring (diamond eternity with inscription Dave to Pearl).

Not every ring gets named, I’ve gotten lazy as the collection has expanded.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I like this thread, because I really need a name for my biggest Diamond. I only have two names. One is Chippy (because the stone has a chip in it lol and I was agonized over whether to get it, and the name just came out as I was talking about it. The fact that I named it sealed the deal on getting it hahaha) and my French band is Frenchie (so imaginative, I know). My almost 4 ct oec I cannot seem to come up with anything!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I don't have many rings, but I realized I've only named the ones with eyes. :lol:

Agatha the little ouro (just popped in, so she told me) and the serp. twins for their eyes after my DD/DS birth months- Alexander and Emeraude.

I need to name my e-ring spinel 3 stone...

Though I love taking aspects of things and coming up with names!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I love naming things. Of course, I never named my rings before PS :lol: .

My first named ring, Josie, is now with Grace. At the time, she seemed over the top to me so she needed a name that matched-she's named for Josephine Bonaparte.

My pear cluster came from Germany-but I'm a Francophile-Colette seems right for her-because she was irresistible. There's always a (mental) method to my madness :rodent:
Oh, I love those names! Josie and Colette both seem to fit what you described perfectly!

I have only named some of mine but I use an attribute of a piece to help come up with a name. Goldilocks (yellow OMC), Queen of Hearts (Art Deco setting with hearts), Martha Washington (an antique daisy ring) etc. A couple of pieces named themselves, like my Fiona pendant (in memory of our dog of the same name) and Pearl’s ring (diamond eternity with inscription Dave to Pearl).

Not every ring gets named, I’ve gotten lazy as the collection has expanded.
I like the idea of using an attribute of a piece. Those are fantastic.

I like this thread, because I really need a name for my biggest Diamond. I only have two names. One is Chippy (because the stone has a chip in it lol and I was agonized over whether to get it, and the name just came out as I was talking about it. The fact that I named it sealed the deal on getting it hahaha) and my French band is Frenchie (so imaginative, I know). My almost 4 ct oec I cannot seem to come up with anything!

Chippy and Frenchie have plenty of personality as names go!

Perhaps you should post photos of the 4 carat OEC and we can all help name her (him?). For some reasons diamonds seem female to me.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have many rings, but I realized I've only named the ones with eyes. :lol:

Agatha the little ouro (just popped in, so she told me) and the serp. twins for their eyes after my DD/DS birth months- Alexander and Emeraude.

I need to name my e-ring spinel 3 stone...

Though I love taking aspects of things and coming up with names!

Oh my goodness we need photos! My own collection has precisely ZERO rings with eyes, so I really want to see these.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness we need photos! My own collection has precisely ZERO rings with eyes, so I really want to see these.

Nothing so grand, they're just little things. If they have eyes I find I talk to them :lol: These two rascals.
The twins
913876 913875
Agatha, her own self.
783271 804085

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing so grand, they're just little things. If they have eyes I find I talk to them :lol: These two rascals.
The twins
20221119_114706.jpg 20221119_114644.jpg
Agatha, her own self.
glamourspinelFAILouro1.jpeg IMG_20200729_113658411.jpg

I absolutely ADORE those!!!! My children are twins, so the twins in particular really speak to me. The different color eyes are really wonderful—as is the way they are keeping their eyes on each other!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely ADORE those!!!! My children are twins, so the twins in particular really speak to me. The different color eyes are really wonderful—as is the way they are keeping their eyes on each other!
Serendipitous! In case you get an itch.;)) Well priced, and her details are insane.
When I can, I'm having her design a solitaire to match them.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Serendipitous! In case you get an itch.;)) Well priced, and her details are insane.
When I can, I'm having her design a solitaire to match them.

Thank you! Can’t wait to see the solitaire! Do you have CADs?

Didn’t know much about ouroboros until reading the Discovery of Witches series. Very cool. If I had one I would be tempted to name it Corra after the firedrake in the books!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Not yet, but I know I want a fluted 'ring-butt' like this and either the snakes biting or just tipped up on the sides. I would have the band be 3-3.5mm as opposed to the 2.3 of the current band. I also can't decide if I want it to be bezelled or not. I keep waffling :lol:
Opera Snapshot_2022-12-06_191800_www.instagram.com.png
I've been obsessed with ouroboros for a long time, they pop up quite a lot in some variation in ancient civilizations. I love symbols.
*Corra would be an excellent name!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only named two (OK three) of my rings.

My first (OK not my first lol but my first once I knew what I was looking for haha) ER was named after my grandmother Beatrice whose nickname was Bea. I named the ring after her because I love my grandma and miss her and she would have loved the ring I think and more importantly she would have loved my DH

oecERwithsuissecutband.jpg

I named my second ER also after my grandmother's memory. The name she used to call me. So both rings were named in honor of my grandmother's memory.

bubbalahmaryannandgingerinourfrontyardatbeachhouse.jpg

LOL I forgot I named two more pieces. Mary Ann and Ginger my OEC studs. The names just came to me...they fit somehow. I loved Gilligan's Island and I loved Mary Ann and Ginger. They are retro today right?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got Bella, she was already Bea (as @missy explained), and I just thought she was so beautiful that Bella seemed perfect. I knew that she was much loved, and to me her L colour is Luscious, so it was an easy choice.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how do you choose their names?

They are named after jewelry that is no longer with us. For ideas, we sometimes use The Big Book of Jewelry Names but then we start arguing.

No, I only have one ring with a name: spouse christened it the Super Bowl Ring. It is not a compliment. :lol-2:

The right-hand ring my spouse wore every day for a decade is still referred to by our kids as "Mom's OG sapphire." I think that's its only name.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The twins
20221119_114706.jpg 20221119_114644.jpg
Agatha, her own self.
glamourspinelFAILouro1.jpeg IMG_20200729_113658411.jpg

Thank you too, the "twins" are beautiful!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Yeah, this is how I see the world too. I need rings with eyes. And now I am going to look at ring-butts, courtesy of @ItsMainelyYou.

What a fine group of women you are. I am expanded.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, this is how I see the world too. I need rings with eyes. And now I am going to look at ring-butts, courtesy of @ItsMainelyYou.

What a fine group of women you are. I am expanded.

I feel, complete.
Soon, I shall have a ring with a butt and eyes :lol:
Ring-butts, ring-butts, ring-butts. Everybody, everybody, ring-butts.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
It occurs to me that naming rings is a practice that seems completely normal in PS world but is probably a bit odd to the rest of the universe.

Regardless, I love it.

But I’m not letting my kids have any input. I suggested we name our garage gym, and without missing a beat, my son yelled, “STACY!”

Yeah. It totally stuck. It’s Stacy.

Not Tonks’s Barbell Club or anything cool.

STACY.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It occurs to me that naming rings is a practice that seems completely normal in PS world but is probably a bit odd to the rest of the universe.

Regardless, I love it.

But I’m not letting my kids have any input. I suggested we name our garage gym, and without missing a beat, my son yelled, “STACY!”

Yeah. It totally stuck. It’s Stacy.

Not Tonks’s Barbell Club or anything cool.

STACY.

Oh no,no,no. Stacy's mom. :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My first diamond that I had before my upgrade was named Lentil. She was two carats but felt like a lentil next to the honkers on here. This was when I first joined PS. Her setting just swallowed her up. When I reset her yet again I named her Libby because she was liberated from her cocoon..
I purchased my first ACA knowing that I was going to upgrade her the following year. She was an I color which was a little warm for me. I named her Summer Fling..shortened to Summer. When I upgraded to my last ACA she is an F so I named her Winter..the opposite of summer. My three stone emerald cut is named Emmy because she’s an emerald cut. Emmy and her babies..haha
My antique asscher is called Ashlee..
My cushion is named after @mrs-b. She found that gorgeous diamond but passed. Her name is Bee..

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't name rings or jewelery items. I guess I never felt the urge to do it. I just refer to them as what they are. I'm not really sentimental about most of my jewelry though. Only perhaps 2-4 items have any sentimental value.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, that promptly ended up stuck in my head.

HAHAHA, as soon as I saw that I wondered how many of us just got bombed.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My first diamond that I had before my upgrade was named Lentil. She was two carats but felt like a lentil next to the honkers on here. This was when I first joined PS. Her setting just swallowed her up. When I reset her yet again I named her Libby because she was liberated from her cocoon..
I purchased my first ACA knowing that I was going to upgrade her the following year. She was an I color which was a little warm for me. I named her Summer Fling..shortened to Summer. When I upgraded to my last ACA she is an F so I named her Winter..the opposite of summer. My three stone emerald cut is named Emmy because she’s an emerald cut. Emmy and her babies..haha
My antique asscher is called Ashlee..
My cushion is named after @mrs-b. She found that gorgeous diamond but passed. Her name is Bee..

I love this so much. I hope mrs-b is doing a little better.

PastryGirl

Shiny_Rock
Pinkie Pie is all pink and was named after the My Little Pony character my daughter loved so much when I first got it.

Queen Jillian is named that because it is what is engraved inside.

My original e-ring I sometimes refer to as Goldy because it is yellow gold and the stone is very warm/yellowy.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t usually name my rings. I don’t want it to feel forced so if it doesn’t come to me naturally, I don’t bother.

Here are the ones with names:

Cherry Bomb
(Named by a fellow PSer)
D7DC4CEE-D771-424F-AFE3-EB5C4F6BEB5F.jpeg

Big Blue
(Simply because I called him that in a dream, back when I bought the tourmaline).
16F08A38-CBBD-4D6D-B86A-044D13FEC434.jpeg

Sweet Pea
(No clue why. It just popped out, I think)
89835FF3-79DD-4286-886E-628363562B4A.jpeg

Clover
(For obvious clover shaped reasons)
A2A25E29-A6B8-4D64-83D6-8B4D9205733B.jpeg

Honorable mention to my Watermelon ring. Not technically it’s name, but my mom always refers to it as my watermelon ring so here we are.
DCF5D25E-E104-4401-9DB5-505EB20D87FA.jpeg

As I was writing this out, I’ve realized I have names for more of my rings than I’d expected. :lol:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results