shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you clean/organize your closet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 7:36:11 PM
Author: diamondfan
Bebe, I am like Joan Crawford. NO WIRE HANGERS. I swap them ALL out.

**woooo**shivers for me too!

I don''t think there is a single one in my house!

LS

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
my closet is a disaster. i usually clean it out twice a year. when i take out the winter clothes and add the summer clothes and then again i do the reverse in the fall. i have the bins out and was supposed to do it 2 weeks ago but it is such a daunting task that i have been procrastinating. good news is i went to the container stores website and bought two shoe organizers becaue of this topic so that they wont overrun the space. it looks like a shoe monster lives in the closet and has thrown up shes they are even spilling out 4 feet into the room. what a mess.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
We should all wish for shoe monsters to throw up in our closets. Do you think it would spit out Prada, and the goodies we drool over, tee hee!!

I hit a brick wall regarding cleaning out my closet. Went out shopping and had a very nice lunch with my best friend. Bought nothing for myself, bought some
Christmas goodies at J. Crew for my daughter. They had a great sale and it was hard to resist. I''ll get after it once again tomorrow.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just bought boot trees for my tall boots that are not stiff enough to stand up. It drives me nuts.

I also bought clear shoes boxes for all of my shoes and ptouched labels describing each shoe. That way all the boxes are the same. Yes, I am a little anal about it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:35:48 PM
I just bought boot trees for my tall boots that are not stiff enough to stand up. It drives me nuts.

I also bought clear shoes boxes for all of my shoes and ptouched labels describing each shoe. That way all the boxes are the same. Yes, I am a little anal about it.

Me too. I like matching storage items.
3.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 10:09:35 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Date: 10/8/2008 9:35:48 PM

Me too. I like matching storage items.
3.gif

I''m going to need advice from the organizational experts here on PS. I hope you ladies aren''t planning on going anywhere.
2.gif

I love the clear shoe box idea, though. I''ll have to start doing that.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

OMG! I buy nothing but wood. Just the sight of plastic or wire makes me cringe.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
DH had a wire hanger from the cleaner on his side of the closet. I yelled, "NO WIRE HANGERS!" and spanked him (softly) with it. He looked at me like I was bonkers. I guess he hasn''t seen Mommy Dearest.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE those skinny hangers that are a bit velvety. They hold things pretty well, some jackets they are too thin for, but overall, I switched all of my mish mashed hangers to those. I also color coordinate and style sort my clothes. Blouses on one bar, dressy tops on another, suits on a third, etc. I have found this makes getting dressed easier. However, I am in four different closets in my house so I do have trouble finding things on occasion. But it helps to be somewhat organized.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My closet is pretty crazy organized because I''m someone who constantly runs late and everything needs to be at my fingertips. I clean out my closet at the beginning and end of every season change - my rule is that it only stays in the closet if it fits and looks good. If I''m going to throw something on, look in the mirror, and then tear it off again, then it doesn''t belong and goes to goodwill. I leave everything on the rack and pull out items that I haven''t worn in awhile. I try those things on and put ''em back if they''re fine and donate if it no longer fits or doesn''t look right. This takes forever at the beginning of a season, but it''s very easy at the end - I basically donate the stuff I never wore again that season.

Everything is organized by color and type, and things move based on what''s in season. Currently, on the top bar (which is pretty high) on the left are dresses, then summer tops (in color order), then sweaters. On the bottom bar are all my cardigans, long-sleeved tops, short-sleeved sweaters, and shells (all these items are mixed together) and they''re organized in color order. T-shirts and sweatshirts are on the shelf, and I have drawers in there that house my workout clothes and socks. Everything else (pants, undergarments, pjs) are in my dresser. My summer shoes are in storage; I have a bin for brown, a bin for black on the closet floor, and then my sneakers sit next to the bins (just 2 pairs). When we moved I gave away sooo many pairs of shoes, because I was having a hard time sorting through and finding a match - I figured that was a sign that there were too many.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 9:45:47 PM
I LOVE those skinny hangers that are a bit velvety. They hold things pretty well, some jackets they are too thin for, but overall, I switched all of my mish mashed hangers to those. I also color coordinate and style sort my clothes. Blouses on one bar, dressy tops on another, suits on a third, etc. I have found this makes getting dressed easier. However, I am in four different closets in my house so I do have trouble finding things on occasion. But it helps to be somewhat organized.

Four? I hope you get one huge closet in your new home!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
As usual, I''m the loser among this bunch. I still have, believe it or not, wire hangers in my closet! Sin of all sins! But I give all the good hangers to hubby and keep everything else for me since I have more clothes. And boot trees, that''s a foreign concept to me. I guess I''m behind the times.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Penn, I AM! That is rule number one. I hate looking all over for stuff. My guests better not need clothes hanging room right now!!! I have two large Grange armoires in my sitting room now, and I also have a huge metal rack in our third floor closet. I have cleaned things out, whatever does not fit is OUT. I need the room too much.
I want islands in my closet, an upholstered sitting area, lots of storage, great jewelry access (for the real stuff) and accessories storage for scarves, belts, wraps, stockings, purses, costume stuff...all behind lucite with dust control in there as my stuff gets covered. I want great lighting and full length mirrors. I do not want to have to remove things to get to other things which I do not. I feel I waste a lot of time searching for the non clothes items. It makes me a bit claustrophobic in there. I have window now, not sure my new closet has one as it is more interior off of my bathroom, but as long as the light is great I do not care.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 5:41:35 AM
Penn, I AM! That is rule number one. I hate looking all over for stuff. My guests better not need clothes hanging room right now!!! I have two large Grange armoires in my sitting room now, and I also have a huge metal rack in our third floor closet. I have cleaned things out, whatever does not fit is OUT. I need the room too much.

I want islands in my closet, an upholstered sitting area, lots of storage, great jewelry access (for the real stuff) and accessories storage for scarves, belts, wraps, stockings, purses, costume stuff...all behind lucite with dust control in there as my stuff gets covered. I want great lighting and full length mirrors. I do not want to have to remove things to get to other things which I do not. I feel I waste a lot of time searching for the non clothes items. It makes me a bit claustrophobic in there. I have window now, not sure my new closet has one as it is more interior off of my bathroom, but as long as the light is great I do not care.

You deserve it!

I don''t really hang a lot of things. Which is really one of the reasons I can''t wait to have a closet that I designed. I need more shelves in my closet because I tend to buy things that are better stored folded. Like, I don''t hang my jeans. It''s much better to fold them. And let me tell you, I have a lot of denim. I think I have at least 45+ pairs. I also fold my sweaters because hangers stretch them out. And shelves for shoes.

And like you, I want a huge island with drawers so I can have all of my glasses and scarves and what not in one place. Nate really likes ties and it''s better to store than rolled up, and I would like drawers for that. I want it to be more like a dressing room.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results