shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you clean/organize your closet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''m tackling my clothing closet today or rather this week. It''s a huge job and I''ve put it off for too long. It''s a disorganized mess now, but
of course I don''t start out like that! A few times a year I will tackle this monster and get it all organized. Love that feeling, but oh, the work!
I also have already gathered 5 bags of clothing to be donated. And will take the better stuff to a resale shop. I actually found things
with price tags still attached. Guess we all do that, huh?

So my question is - do you take everything out, then put it all back in?

Or - take one rod/section at a time and rehang?

I have 7 different rods, if I just rehang, I''ll be in there all week!! If I take it all out, then I have to contend with the mess
on a bed or something! There has to be an easier solution or process.
And I have to rehang 90% of everything to put the article on a proper hanger (matching)

Clean freaks and super organizers - chime in!!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I do the pull it all out, throw it on the bed and attack method. Yes, it''s initally messy, but in the end I find it takes less time than going section my section.

*sigh* You just reminded me that I reeeeaaally need to go through my closets. *sigh*

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Bebe, if you post before pictures, it'll be easier to provide targeted advice (hint, hint).

Warning: Long, detailed post ahead! ;-)

I'm one of those people who always have a clean/organized closet. Once you get the general rules, incorporate 'em, then make them habit, it's very easy to maintain. Since you mentioned having 7 rods, I'm assuming you have a walk-in closet. There are several different ways to get to the desired endpoint, but the most effective way to get there takes into account the particular owner and the particular problems.

1. Do NOT take it all out and just make another mess! (Disorganized closets need to find organization first, whereas hyperorganized hoarders' closets benefit from the "take everything out and put it back in" method. It sounds like you are more of the first category.)

2. Start putting like clothes together: a rod for blouses, a rod for skirts, a rod for dresses, a rod for suits, a rod for jackets, etc. Don't worry about anything more than this at this stage.

3. After this basic separation, take a step back and look at which category surprises you. (You might be surprised to learn that you have 25 pairs of jeans, or by seeing those hideous items which you had stuffed in the back mixed in with the good things that you've been burdening your closet with a handful or turquoise-studded sweatshirts that your great-aunt Mildred keeps sending you from the desert southwest. You might see you don't wear dresses, but have over 50 blazers, some dating back from 1988.) Quickly fix that category that surprised you. Do NOT just make a giant messy pile; just pull things off of the hanger, quickly fold, and put neatly into donation bags.

4. Then go through each rod/category and remove the items you don't like any more, doesn't fit, etc. Neatly yet quickly fold, and put in donation bags just outside closet door. One day do dresses, next jackets, next skirts, etc. Make no messes as you go along, just tidy little bundle bags for donation.

5. Once you've weeded out all the junk, organize what remains. Sub-organize. Put jackets together, put hanging sweaters together, put long sleeved shirts together, put short sleeved shirts together, put tank/spaghetti shirts together, put skirts together, put pants together, put jeans together, etc. Pause to take another look at what surprises you, and get rid of stuff-- neatly. Within each category, put like colors together.

6. Once everything is logical in their arrangement, then make the cosmetic changes (like matching hangers) a little each day when you find yourself with a spare 15-60 minutes.

7. Give yourself license to make a list of any new items you need. (This is important because a lot of time people hold onto stuff because they fear having nothing to wear if they get rid of too much. However, they tend to hold onto 5 disliked alternatives when 1 "perfect" piece would actually be much better.)

8. Donate the bags, which are already compactly filled with neatly folded clothes.

Voila! Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
f-d-l

bebe

Ideal_Rock
fleur-de-lis, thanks so much. I love your sensible way of tackling this.

I wrote a long response to you, then my computer crashed for the 5th time today, so now I have to deal with that.

But to answer you, I did have most like things together, they were just mixed with summer and winter. But of course I
did have odd stuff every where. I''ve moved things to their proper section, now I have to weed through it all.
I have tons of jeans. I''m not looking forward to that, I guess I don''t want to discover just how much weight I''ve gained!

I am holding onto a few coats and jackets. I live in the swamps of Houston, so outerwear is not needed much here.
I''m using that ''ol 1 year rule on all the other stuff. I hope I don''t regret anything later.

Hopefully by later this week I will have this done. Thanks!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh -- I should really tackle my closet soon. It''s not a pretty sight. Here''s what I do:

1. Take everything on the floor of my closet and pile it on the bed. Go through it piece by piece and put away everything in the pile (and make a pile of things to donate). The pile may be daunting, but that way, I know that I HAVE to go through it all if I want to sleep in bed that night.
9.gif

2. Go through the stuff on the top shelves (the same way as #1).

3. Finally tackle the hanging things. I don''t really have a system for this. I just choose items that I know right away that I can donate and add it to the pile. For the rest of my clothes, I usually try stuff on and see if I want to keep it. If so, it goes back in my closet. If not, I give it away.

4. After the closet is cleaned out and I can see what I have left, I organize my clothes into similar pieces.

The biggest problem I have is actually getting rid of clothes that I never wear or haven''t worn in a very long time. Once I get started though, it''s usually a fairly painless process.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before baby my closet was always organized. I always hung clothes in like colors and styles (tanks all together, T''s all together, long sleeve...and so on) Now it is too difficult b/c I am not yet into my old clothes and have so many transition stuff. But hopefully once again I will have a beautiful closet! I think storage bins help. I put my shoes in different clear ones. Have a hanging shelf thing for folded pants and sweaters. Another hanging thing for bags....go to the container store if you need inspiration!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I have plenty of space - it''s just doing it!

Love The Container Store - bought hangers there a few years ago, very inspirational, ha ha!!

It will get done, it was just a little daunting at first. But now that I''ve got a start, I''ll be done in
a day or two.

But Tacori you brought up a point about shoes. I have tons of shoes, most in their original boxes
but the contents labeled in black marker. My sister keeps all her shoes out in the open so she
can play!! ;-) Many times I''ve forgotten what I had - just wondering if I should ditch those boxes?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a pull everything out and tackle it all at once girl. But then again, my closet is always fairly organized, so it''s mostly rearranging every season. Since I clean it out regularly it isn''t too big of a project.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
bebe, wish I was there to help you! I do use containers for my shoes but use the clear plastic ones (I ditch the original boxes) That way I can see in but they are still protected and dust free.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Got to think about the shoe issue - that''s another day''s work.

I love a clean, well organized closet, it makes getting dressed so much easier.

Here''s a funny for ya. I have shelves above my hanging rods but they are empty. Have other space to store things.
But ya know what''s up there!! ;-) Chanel shopping bags and boxes, Tiffany''s boxes, Bond Perfume, Neiman''s bags...
All standing up oh so pretty, like a model home closet - my own personal shrine to shopping !!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
bebe, you are so funny. I love shelves. I actually took the "man''s" closet (we have separate walk-ins) b/c it had shelves on one wall which is *perfect* for my sweaters. I have a hard time getting rid of clothes. I probably have some stuff from high school. I should be more ruthless!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I go through these random "fits" every month or two where I spend all day taking apart my closet and never put it back until my husband gets mad :) It isn''t very organized (but I don''t have a bunch of clothes).

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it weird to be somewhat in love with organizers, shelving units, and plastic bins? We don''t have a Container Store here but if we did, I think I''d move in. I love the idea of being organized that way.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
blechh..thanks for reminding me how much I've been avoiding doing my closet..*sigh*
14.gif
41.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 6:31:34 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Is it weird to be somewhat in love with organizers, shelving units, and plastic bins? We don''t have a Container Store here but if we did, I think I''d move in. I love the idea of being organized that way.

No, I am too! We don''t have a container store either (which is probably a good thing for my wallet since I have been to one was totally in love) but we do have a random storage store (I bet you do too). I just went there to find something to hang in the back of my office closet door for wrapping paper. I could of spent ALL day in there. I love seeing all the cool, innovative solutions for things. It was so much fun!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 10:30:21 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 10/7/2008 6:31:34 AM
Author: ZoeBartlett

No, I am too! We don''t have a container store either (which is probably a good thing for my wallet since I have been to one was totally in love) but we do have a random storage store (I bet you do too). I just went there to find something to hang in the back of my office closet door for wrapping paper. I could of spent ALL day in there. I love seeing all the cool, innovative solutions for things. It was so much fun!
Tacori, we do? I desperately need organization for my closet. So far all I have seen is the stuff at Target and WM, which I like but isn''t really wallet-friendly for me to organize the way I need to. Where is this magical storage store?

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
For shoes---

If you have a digital camera take a pic of the shoe and tape it to the box. Then you can see what shoes are what before you dig though all of them. its a time saver!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I normally do one section at a time until I''ve done the whole lot of it. I used to have my clothes in drawers but in our new house D made me a walk in closet with shelves and rods to hang things. I love it. I keep dresses/skirts across one rod, trousers and coats across another and then fold other items. Fancy shoes go on top and non-fancy shoes go on bottom.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Princesss, I think it is called "Storage Solutions" or something like that. It is next to Party City on 51. They have lots of fun stuff.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''m making progess!

I have one 6ft. rod that is nothing but "comfort clothes". Stuff like sweatshirts, sweatpants, odd t-shirts, comfy stuff.
This one is going to be tougher to weed through. But good grief, how much of that stuff do I really need!!

I''ll make a trip to BB&B and buy more hangers with clips. I like to hang my nice pants and jeans from those clip hangers, saves room
and the pant doesn''t have a crease in it.

Shoes next...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Doing good Bebe!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 9:59:00 PM
Author: bebe

Here''s a funny for ya. I have shelves above my hanging rods but they are empty. Have other space to store things.
But ya know what''s up there!! ;-) Chanel shopping bags and boxes, Tiffany''s boxes, Bond Perfume, Neiman''s bags...
All standing up oh so pretty, like a model home closet - my own personal shrine to shopping !!!
Check out what I got for my shoes, www.rakkudesigns.com. Love it.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
For my shoes, I went to target and bought a ton of the little rubbermaid shoe boxes (clear) to store my shoes in ($.99 each) - I think I have about 50 of them - I stack them on my closet floor from end to end - I think I have a row of 8 boxes of shoes stacked about 6 or 7 boxes high - this way, i can see through every box and when i remove a box, even ones on the bottom, the boxes just shift downward - and this also makes that the shoes that i wear most often are usually on the top.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 3:19:03 PM
Author: BizouMom

Date: 10/6/2008 9:59:00 PM
Author: bebe

Check out what I got for my shoes, www.rakkudesigns.com. Love it.
That contraption looks pretty cool!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do one section at a time. I also got these very thin hangers at bed bath that are a fuzzy texture and I swapped all my old hangers out. It gave me more room and neatness. I try to group by colors and item, like dressy tops and blouses and skirts are all somewhat grouped together.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our closet is super organized if you can get past the shoe boxes...
9.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
whoa, that shoe "thing" looks wild, but I have read that it is a great space saver.
Fortunately I have plenty of space for shoes.

I have some of those fuzzy non-slip hangers too DFan, love e''m. They are great for silks
and cami''s.

Does anyone else have the dry cleaner hanger issue - you bring the clothes home and then
they are on those wire hangers! Does anyone change the clothes over to your nicer hangers?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 4:46:44 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Bebe, if you post before pictures, it''ll be easier to provide targeted advice (hint, hint).

Warning: Long, detailed post ahead! ;-)

I''m one of those people who always have a clean/organized closet. Once you get the general rules, incorporate ''em, then make them habit, it''s very easy to maintain. Since you mentioned having 7 rods, I''m assuming you have a walk-in closet. There are several different ways to get to the desired endpoint, but the most effective way to get there takes into account the particular owner and the particular problems.

1. Do NOT take it all out and just make another mess! (Disorganized closets need to find organization first, whereas hyperorganized hoarders'' closets benefit from the ''take everything out and put it back in'' method. It sounds like you are more of the first category.)

2. Start putting like clothes together: a rod for blouses, a rod for skirts, a rod for dresses, a rod for suits, a rod for jackets, etc. Don''t worry about anything more than this at this stage.

3. After this basic separation, take a step back and look at which category surprises you. (You might be surprised to learn that you have 25 pairs of jeans, or by seeing those hideous items which you had stuffed in the back mixed in with the good things that you''ve been burdening your closet with a handful or turquoise-studded sweatshirts that your great-aunt Mildred keeps sending you from the desert southwest. You might see you don''t wear dresses, but have over 50 blazers, some dating back from 1988.) Quickly fix that category that surprised you. Do NOT just make a giant messy pile; just pull things off of the hanger, quickly fold, and put neatly into donation bags.

4. Then go through each rod/category and remove the items you don''t like any more, doesn''t fit, etc. Neatly yet quickly fold, and put in donation bags just outside closet door. One day do dresses, next jackets, next skirts, etc. Make no messes as you go along, just tidy little bundle bags for donation.

5. Once you''ve weeded out all the junk, organize what remains. Sub-organize. Put jackets together, put hanging sweaters together, put long sleeved shirts together, put short sleeved shirts together, put tank/spaghetti shirts together, put skirts together, put pants together, put jeans together, etc. Pause to take another look at what surprises you, and get rid of stuff-- neatly. Within each category, put like colors together.

6. Once everything is logical in their arrangement, then make the cosmetic changes (like matching hangers) a little each day when you find yourself with a spare 15-60 minutes.

7. Give yourself license to make a list of any new items you need. (This is important because a lot of time people hold onto stuff because they fear having nothing to wear if they get rid of too much. However, they tend to hold onto 5 disliked alternatives when 1 ''perfect'' piece would actually be much better.)

8. Donate the bags, which are already compactly filled with neatly folded clothes.

Voila! Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
f-d-l
Can you come over to my house?
31.gif

LS

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bebe, I am like Joan Crawford. NO WIRE HANGERS. I swap them ALL out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results