shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you battle DSS??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Hey Ladies!

I was very VERY leery of posting about this subject only because I didn''t want to seem ungrateful or materialistic. I think one of the hardest things about having DSS (as silly as this may sound) is that I''m normally such a practical person. I''m having a small wedding, I am saving for real estate, I buy almost everything secondhand or on eBay. This is not in my nature, and it really bothers me to feel this way. In some sense it unnerves me.

In response to surfgirl, you have great points. I was conscious of them to begin with. My father was abusive and I am very aware that my FH is a wonderful partner. Holly S, I''d give up my ring to be with him in a heartbeat. I am happy with it, but I hate feeling like I want more, you know? I do take great pleasure and pride in my e-ring and he loves to watch me ogle it in the car.

But in any case, as one of diamondfan said, DSS doesn''t make much sense, does it? I did stay away from PS for a while (I stopped posting or lurking a bit) so I could get a breath of air. It helped a lot. But I love this forum and the people on it, so I got back on again. Sighs.

Thank you for the compliments on my ring! I''m very flattered. However, because of the first setting''s damage to the shank with the porosity of the metal, I had to change it. There were weird little black dots showing up. I have a Solasfera solitaire setting now. It''s beautiful, but the first setting really had my heart. I''ve adjusted a lot to this one and love it too.

Miranda, I don''t think I would really have the nerve to pull an upgrade either. I wouldn''t feel good about it, no matter how much I suffered from DSS! I do clean it and when I put it back on my hand it does look ginormous! ^_^ And interestingly enough, I''m not a big jewelry person. I only wear a necklace FH gave me after our first year of dating and my e-ring. That''s it. No watch or nothing, so Erica D, thinking about a RHR wouldn''t be up my alley unfortunately. =P

I don''t know what else to say except that you guys are great. I only wanted to put my feelings out there and not be criticized for feeling this way! I felt like I had no one who I could confide in and not be judged for it.

Thanks all!!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
You know Lily, I was thinking about your predicament some more... perhaps if the setting were a little higher, showing off your diamnd and getting that lovely side view, perhaps you would appreciate the full beauty of the stone?
But then of course, you''ll lose that lovely rich band, and the practicality of your current setting.

As married life goes on, you''ll be less likely to want an upgrade, it''s nice to have your stone with you over the years...
but perhaps you might think about a setting update, say, for your five year anniv?
I wouldn''t though personally, as it was custom...

Or maybe a blingy wedding (or anniversary eternity?) band would do the trick?
It''s really a great size - elegant, generous, but not completely over the top for every day wear
In fact, it''s absolutely gorgeous! It''ll wear with you very well, just as is!!
imo

ps Isn''t this forum great?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Upgrade.
2. Halo
3. Put it away for a while, wear a band or something else... put it back on and stay off PS while you do this. It really does work.

Personally, I really love my halo. It''s been doing wonders for any DSS.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhh, Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome.
3.gif

Well, I definately don't suffer from that!! I guess I would need a diamond first.

I may suffer from cleavage shrinkage syndrome though.
14.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 12:04:45 AM
Author: miraclesrule
3.gif

Well, I definately don''t suffer from that!! I guess I would need a diamond first.

14.gif
Oh brother!! Don''t remind me!! Everyone warned me about post baby boobs...for some reason, I didn''t think it would happen to me!!!
14.gif
15.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 12:09:16 AM
Author: LaraOnline
Date: 7/5/2008 12:04:45 AM

Author: miraclesrule

3.gif

Well, I definately don''t suffer from that!! I guess I would need a diamond first.

14.gif

Oh brother!! Don''t remind me!! Everyone warned me about post baby boobs...for some reason, I didn''t think it would happen to me!!!
14.gif
15.gif

Yeah, no one tells you that when they are sucking out the milk they take a cup size with them!
35.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yes that's right!!! An ENTIRE cup size!!!!!!
Maybe even a bit more, actually. Cup and a half?

I wear B-cup strapless now!!! I was a full C for my entire life!
anyway, don't get me started (again!!)

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it possible.

Sorry for hi-jak, Lily!
2.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Sorry if this is repeated, haven''t read the whole thread.

my suggestion is to get an obsession with other gemstones that are reasonable in price. Get some cool and colorful stones, you can even buy and set your own jewels! Get some fun RHR''s and appreciate the DIFFERENCES without comparing. After all, diamonds are not all that rare, and their vaue is largely a social construct. How cool is it to not be beholden to diamonds, but to appreciate a VARIETY of gorgeous stones!
36.gif

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
I suffered DSS when I first got my ering and I decided to Halo diamond and that lasted me maybe a couple of months.. After that I decided to get a gemstone ring.. It doesn''t cost a bomb but it help me with my finger coverage..OR you could always upgrade it.. Heheheh..
31.gif

threepwood

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 2:09:34 AM
Author: trillionaire
35.gif
Sorry if this is repeated, haven''t read the whole thread.

my suggestion is to get an obsession with other gemstones that are <b>reasonable</b> in price. Get some cool and colorful stones, you can even buy and set your own jewels! Get some fun RHR''s and appreciate the DIFFERENCES without comparing. After all, diamonds are not all that rare, and their vaue is largely a social construct. How cool is it to not be beholden to diamonds, but to appreciate a VARIETY of gorgeous stones!
36.gif

I agree with trillionaire..
36.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/4/2008 10:25:59 PM
Author: lilythespitfire
I was very VERY leery of posting about this subject only because I didn''t want to seem ungrateful or materialistic. I think one of the hardest things about having DSS (as silly as this may sound) is that I''m normally such a practical person. I''m having a small wedding, I am saving for real estate, I buy almost everything secondhand or on eBay. This is not in my nature, and it really bothers me to feel this way. In some sense it unnerves me.
This is exactly how I feel as well! I''m normally a very practical person, don''t even wear much jewelry, and when we first started shopping for my e-ring the very first thing we did was sit down to discuss the budget because that''s just how we are. I was the one who said we shouldn''t spend over certain amount and my FI was the one who pushed for something a little nicer. So it''s shameful to admit that sometimes I secretly yearn for a 2ct+ on my finger...
38.gif

I try to focus on the symbol of my ring, how romantic and exciting it was to go through the whole process with FI selecting the stone and the setting, and how beautiful and unique my ring is regardless of the center stone size. The ring is perfect for me, represents who I am, and really, 1ct is not a small size by any means (just in comparison to all the PS rings
14.gif
)

That and I got myself a gorgeous colored stone ring!
9.gif

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 11:47:56 AM
Author: Babyblue033
Date: 7/4/2008 10:25:59 PM

This is exactly how I feel as well! I''m normally a very practical person, don''t even wear much jewelry, and when we first started shopping for my e-ring the very first thing we did was sit down to discuss the budget because that''s just how we are. I was the one who said we shouldn''t spend over certain amount and my FI was the one who pushed for something a little nicer. So it''s shameful to admit that sometimes I secretly yearn for a 2ct+ on my finger...
38.gif

I try to focus on the symbol of my ring, how romantic and exciting it was to go through the whole process with FI selecting the stone and the setting, and how beautiful and unique my ring is regardless of the center stone size. The ring is perfect for me, represents who I am, and really, 1ct is not a small size by any means (just in comparison to all the PS rings
14.gif
)

That and I got myself a gorgeous colored stone ring!
9.gif

Babyblue this is exactly how I feel. ^_^ I feel better knowing that another person gets what I''m dealing with. Whew.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 12:45:34 AM
Yes that''s right!!! An ENTIRE cup size!!!!!!

anyway, don''t get me started (again!!)

If I hadn''t seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it possible.

Sorry for hi-jak, Lily!
2.gif

LOL!!! I think you guys are hilarious. I heard about that phenomenon. A full cup size, really? That''s insane.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 1:02:14 PM
Date: 7/5/2008 12:45:34 AM

Yes that''s right!!! An ENTIRE cup size!!!!!!

anyway, don''t get me started (again!!)

If I hadn''t seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it possible.

Sorry for hi-jak, Lily!
2.gif

LOL!!! I think you guys are hilarious. I heard about that phenomenon. A full cup size, really? That''s insane.

It''s sad but true. And when your milk comes in you reach letters of the alphabet you never thought possible
6.gif
and then after nursing, well, not so much
39.gif

I really enjoyed nursing my kids though, so if I had to do it over again I wouldn''t change anything.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would do like the others say, put it away for a couple of weeks and when you pull it out it will look huge.
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree PS can stimulate DSS. Sometimes taking a step back can help, as can focusing on why you are wearing this symbol and how special your guy is.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/5/2008 9:55:59 PM
Author: Skippy123
I would do like the others say, put it away for a couple of weeks and when you pull it out it will look huge.
35.gif
Skippy
23.gif
are you sure? guy members....don''t believe everything a woman tell ya.
28.gif

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Do they have a name or a syndrome for people dealing with absolutely nothing on their finger?
7.gif

I''d LOVE to be in your shoes - beautiful ring with great finger coverage...
I think I would place lots of emphasis on the size of my imaginary ring because you know what? That thing will be on your finger hopefully forever, right? So you want to be happy with it no matter what. I have planned
27.gif
, although by bf doesn''t know it just yet, to save up for my ring that I guess I will have to get myself. So, maybe just save up, like posters above said, for a 5 year anniversary upgrade. Love it while you got it! It could always have been smaller...
28.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had mine halo''d. It looks big now! I love it! You know what else helps? Try some wedding bands on with your ring. For some reason it makes my diamond look even bigger! Not sure why but there you go......

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2008 10:46:43 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

35.gif
Skippy

23.gif
28.gif
are you saying what I think you''re saying?!! LMAO that''s hilarious!!!

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/6/2008 7:02:07 AM

35.gif
Skippy

23.gif
28.gif

Lara I think he is! LOL!! What? It doesn''t work for you Dancing Fire?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Lily, I certainly don''t think you are being materialistic at all. In fact, I think you feel bad that you''re being affected by DSS! I have no doubt that it happens to everybody--heck, I never even wanted a diamond because I thought they were a waste of money (I still think they are a terrible investment, but I appreciate their beauty 1,000 times more after finding PS!) and I STILL very occasionally think that I should have listened to DH and gotten something larger. I know you can be head over heels in love with your ring and not give it up for anything, but also wonder if you''d make the same decision again. There are too many gorgeous rings (both big and small), darn it!

To be honest, though, I think you should just take a look around you. We tend to focus on rings that are bigger whether we are at grocery store, the park or wherever. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people are probably looking at your ring and thinking it''s huge.

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
My cure is have someone else wear your ring while you are with them and just watch how great it looks.
It is amazing to see your own ring from the view of someone else''s eyes. It certainly cures DSS for me! I do this often when I hang out with friends. Plus it is just really neat to see all the light show from these awesome cuts. Once you put it back on your finger it looks huge again.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/6/2008 12:25:00 PM

Date: 7/6/2008 7:02:07 AM

35.gif
Skippy

23.gif
28.gif

Lara I think he is! LOL!! What? It doesn''t work for you Dancing Fire?
i''ll let you girls know after a couple of weeks.
crackup.gif
thanks Skippy.
wow1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results