shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you battle DSS??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
I''''m having a serious case of DSS.

At first I thought my diamond was HUGE and perfectly sized for my 4.5 finger. Now a mere 3 months later I find myself wishing it was larger. Other times I wish I could add side stones for more finger coverage.

YET through it all I feel horrendously guilty because it is an expensive sentimental gift from my wonderful fiance. I remind myself that it is not the object but the meaning behind it. I know that there is more to life (gasp) than the size of your rock and I know I''''m lucky to have a wonderful partner. That usually stops me from thinking about upgrades. LOL.

It is so hard not to get caught up in the bling factor. How do you deal with DSS? Any advice from fellow PSers suffering from the syndrome?

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I stop wearing mine for a bit. I''ll wear a simpler piece or just a band for a little bit and then when I put my ring back on it''s like "BAM!"
This really works when I go on vacation and I don''t wear my ring for fear of loss or damage or whatever.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Guilty!

I just tell myself it is totally out of the question financially and I should be grateful for what I have.

I would love to go to 2.5ct

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think you got your question answered by both bri and IWPO.

1. Take off your ring for a week or two and then put it back on and it will look bigger again. Works everytime I go away on long business trips and come back and put on my ering after not seeing it for awhile.

2. Be thankful that you even have an ering. That you dont live in a cardboard box, in some developing country squallor. That you are in a loving relationship and not in some abusive, dangerous relationship.

Hanging around here is unhealthy for those who cannot separate out their own reality from others. Your ring looks lovely. Be thankful you have it, and the man who gave it to you. And remember, it''s not about a ring, it''s about the quality of the relationship.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Surfgirl makes some good points. As much as I love PS, it can make DSS a little worse when you''re drooling over some of the knock-out rocks that are here!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stop PSing for awhile
5.gif
Seriously! I took a conscious PS break for about a week earlier this year, and it totally cured any signs of DSS. I haven''t had a problem with it since!

Now I don''t really venture into SMTR much at all, so the only rings I see are in avatars.

Sometimes it just takes a quick reality check to get you set for quite awhile.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got one word for you: HALO.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
This is weird.. but...

I do some amateur jewelry designing. I haven''t had any of it made yet. Just sketches so far! It cheers me up just to draw a ring or peice of jewelry that I could possibly have made. After looking at a sketch for an evening or so, I always realize that I love my ring just how it is!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Well, first of all, your ring is perfect. You''ve had gazillions of us tell you so . . . now and back in April.

Secondly, it''s pretty silly for a ''just got engaged'' gal, with a perfect ring of lovely size and proportions, to have DSS.

I''ve had my ring two years, and I can''t begin to tell you how happy it makes my husband to see me look at and admire the ring he gave me. From your post about your engagement, it seems that you have a wonderfully thoughtful guy who adores you and went to special lengths to propose romantically. Make him happy by being happy with the ring. Because the guy is the important part of being engaged. Not the ring. Lots of extremely happy people have had long marriages without major bling.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/2/2008 6:50:12 PM
Author:lilythespitfire
I''m having a serious case of DSS.

It is so hard not to get caught up in the bling factor. How do you deal with DSS? Any advice from fellow PSers suffering from the syndrome?
upgrade to a bigger rock.
28.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 11:51:02 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 7/2/2008 6:50:12 PM

Author:lilythespitfire

I''m having a serious case of DSS.

upgrade to a bigger rock.
28.gif

Gee, Dancing Fire, you sure are a big help, ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Dee*Jay made a good suggestion about putting a halo around your ring. They always make solitaires look bigger.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I think that your ring looks beautiful and huge on your finger.

female half 2Artists

eac

Shiny_Rock
I've been noticing a lot of Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome in posters lately, and more people wanting 2+ carat diamonds. So it's not just you. I also think you are expressing your DSS very gracefully.

With DSS right now, part of it is that, in standard jewelry, very large stones are fashionable right now. We are getting used to eyeing 4 carat amethysts and 10+ carat blue topazes in rings. Honestly, look at these rings... from Target!

http://www.target.com/b/ref=in_se_pagelist/601-0323283-8833742?ie=UTF8&node=13313131&pricerange=&index=tgt-mf-mv&field-browse=13313131&rank=-product%5Fsite%5Flaunch%5Fdate&viewID=leaf&field-pricebin=&store=&rh=&page=3&fromBrowse=1

To reduce DSS, I have a few suggestions. Clean your ring and groom your hands beautifully, so that they are both at their best. I just had a ring with a modest .25 ct diamond in it cleaned today, and now I'm admiring it with a smile again.

Then, sit down and perform this visualization: imagine that you are single...without a fiancee...in a country where large diamond rings are not common or usual...imagine that you do not have your fiancee or your jewel...

Then open your eyes, and look at your ring again!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with some others in that take it off for a few days and it will look much larger when it goes back on your finger! I haven''t had DSS at all-I am just in love with my e-ring and although sometimes it looks bigger or smaller on my finger, it''s always been sparkling back at me. Stay away from SMTR for a while
9.gif

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
You have DSS, I have BASS (bank account shrinkage syndrome). Every time I buy something, I wonder if it really was worth all that money. Usually not.

Think about paying for a bigger one yourself and what you would have to give up for it and then you may appreciate more the gift given to you by your fiance.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 8:05:53 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I got one word for you: HALO.
ROFLMAO!!! You read my mind!

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
A new setting did wonders for me. AND hanging around here less--though the site is wonderful......

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You have a beautiful ring.The diamond is a great size. The style is classic and timeless. As others have said, I find when I put my ring away for a while, and wear smaller bands, when I go and get it out again, it looks huge. A couple of years ago I lost it for 6 months, and boy, was it beautiful when I found it again! I had forgotten what a great ring it was.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is very beautiful and your starting out with a good sized stone :)
I would just try to get my mind on something else. Start a new project you''ve been meaning to begin etc.
I don''t really get DSS. My problem is that I''m crazy about jewelry and always find myself wanting more items.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
A few small things that work for me, when I have a minor case of DSS:

Cleaning my ring definitely helps (a tip I got on here, a while back!)... I have it off my finger for a while in the ultrasonic, and when I put it back on, it seems all sparkly and shiny and new again. Or just leave it off for a whole afternoon.

And sometimes I'll jokingly put it on the tip of DH's finger while we're lounging around watching TV... there is something about seeing it on somebody else's hand that makes it look totally different!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hey lily! I think you''re being a bit naughty!
27.gif

Perhaps you find the whole ''planning the wedding'' a bit boring / overwhelming and want to stall?
Maybe ring shopping signifies romance to you? (It does to me...)
These Pricescope ladies have good memories though, and they are right when they tell you the ring is beautiful.
It looks fab on your finger...
To be honest, I think it''s a huge size - and actually comes out at my dream ring size. Although, of course, I know it''s entirely personal (I live in Australia for one thing, and as a group, we just don''t seem to ''get'' the whole massive rock thing...)
Anyway all the best!
28.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
This totally cracked me up because I had DSS sink in THE DAY AFTER I GOT MY RING! I originally wanted a 1.5 ct asscher - my husband bought me a 1.64, because he thought the 1.5 looked too small. He really wanted to get me a 2 ct round, but I was like, I definitely don''t want a round, and 1.5 is plenty big enough for my 4.75 size fingers! But then once the diamond was presented to me in the setting, I thought it looked a little small
7.gif

The first day I wore it to work, my secretary said, "oh, I thought he would get you something bigger." Hello, diamond complex! Then I found out that my 1.64 asscher faced up smaller than a 1 ct round, so I wasn''t happy with it anymore. Several asscher upgrades later, I finally traded the asscher idea in for a 2.01 ct RB, what my husband wanted to get me originally - now I''m finally happy. It looks like sometimes the guys really do know best!

But seriously, it may be a solitaire thing, too. I always loved solitaires, but I see all my friends that have these beautiful sidestone settings, and I wonder if I would like that better ... either way, PS is the worst place to be if you have DSS - this site is nothing but a bunch of upgrade enablers
emsmilep.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
DSS...Haha! I always have it! I frequently think I want a larger stone and/or different setting. I get sooooo close to pulling the trigger and then I chicken out. I''m not sure when I''ll have the nerve to upgrade. I don''t wear my ring a lot in the summer because I''m always at the beach or pool with the kids. That helps a ton! I''ll also agree with the halo advice! I have one and it really beefs up any stone. Three stone settings do this as well, to my eye anyway! DSS - the disease that plagues PSers!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful Michelle...and it looks BIG to me,

Byt then again, I don''t even know was DSS means.
7.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/4/2008 12:58:14 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Your ring is beautiful Michelle...and it looks BIG to me,

Byt then again, I don't even know was DSS means.
7.gif
DSS = Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome, when someone starts out feeling like their diamond is plenty big, and ends up feeling like it looks smaller and smaller as time passes, so much so that it feels inadequate.

I have a feeling, if I were to ever start feeling that way about my (eventual) ring, I would probably just stop posting on PS. I love it here, but I don't want to constantly have doubts about my ring which will not be upgradeable.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suffer from very bad DSS too. It doesn''t help that I have the privilege of handling big honking diamonds all day!

BUT, I don''t have a sentimental attachment to any of the diamonds I''ve owned because I bought them for myself. DH never got me one because we couldn''t afford it when we were first married, and now, 11 years later, it''s my own passion and hobby - he doesn''t get it :)

All of the above suggestions are great - take off the ring for awhile, see if your fiance/DH is ok with changing settings from time to time (it''s a nice way to get a "fix"), maybe get a big honking gemstone RHR as an outlet, etc.

Your diamond is a beauty, though, one that any woman would be lucky to have!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is no logic or reason to it. I think you have gotten great suggestions. I sometimes suffer from it too, but I am not doing anything about it. I think you can either re set your ring or just take a breath til it passes if an upgrade is not in the cards right now. You have a lovely ring, it is not about that, since DSS is not a practical or sensible thing at all. If you cannot change anything now, just know your ring is wonderful and enjoy it. When I have taken off my ring for any prolonged time like a trip, I find it looks great to me when I return and put it back on.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really suffer from it! THere is no way we can afford what I really want, which is a 1.5ct+ RB. It will be years and years until that is a possibility. And although we recently bought me my first RB, which is .80ct with the idea of upgrading each year, I think realistically we won''t be upgrading my diamond for at least another 3 - 5 years... we are expecting our first child, and we will be buying a house in a few years and on and on and on...

So I battle it by focusing my planning jones on something else. I always like to have a project to occupy my mind, so if I think about my ring that becomes my focus, so instead I think about other things!

And I think I am going to spend some $$ and get my fabu dream setting in the near future... that will go a long way and will cost much less than an upgrade!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this doesn''t address your DSS issue, but... I love your ring. I think the diamond is beautifully proportioned to both the setting and your hand.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve posted this cure for DSS before: Embark on a gemstone project for a RHR -- it helps divert DSS
9.gif

Look at stones that you can get in larger sizes at affordable prices.

Or, I agree with other posters -- take off your ring for awhile and then when you put it on again it will keep the DSS at bay (for a little while at least).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results