shape
carat
color
clarity

How did you convince hubby for an upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! You see what is sauce for the gander is sauce for the goose!
41.gif
NOW you get it!
11.gif
Diamonds DO hold their value so much better unless you are talking about a '65 e-type Jag!
3.gif

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
marta ana,
If you don''t mind me asking, do you know how much of your stone''s value your jeweler is willing to give you? I''m semi-looking into this right now and one place will give 75%-85% of their selling price for a similar stone, which isn''t too bad (but you have to get the new stone at their prices too, which are 12-15% above internet vendors). Just wanted to see if there''s anything better available. Thanks!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF: Lorelei has seen pix, way back when I took a couple and was able to send them to her. Since then I have had two very expensive digital cameras broken by my kids and I am in the process of looking for a new one (I am a bit of photography nut and will not get a point and shoot since I take so many pictures and I am trying to figure out how to buy another expensive piece of equipment in less than a year...this time I will get the extended warranty!!!) Anyway, I think it is g/vs1...I forget the ratio of l to w, but it is not a long skinny e/c...I really like the proportions of it...I did not want one that is too square nor too long, so when I saw it I loved it...

Jensia

Shiny_Rock
I started with myhusband how I didnt care for the color in my last diamond and it would be nice to get a better color.

Then I brought it up a notch, and said how I really woould like a new ring, but didnt push it.

My husband likes a bargain, so I showed him how you could save money with the online venderts and started showing him diamond pictures.

Afer a mont of picture showing, I gave him the idea how to finance it. Brought up the 401k loan. We are savig it for a house,
but we wont be getting that for a few years, and it would be paid off by then, plus the interest he pays is to himself.

He said let me think about it. He couldnt say no when he saw how bad I wanted it, and the fact that I found a good deal for an online stone. He was actualy proud of his purchase:) He loves my diamond and says if I dont like it he will keep it himself:)

Jensia

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep lorelei it''s priorities, thats why im glad greg has a hobby of his own that commands some $$ so that i am not the only one!! it makes it easier to negotiate too.
9.gif

just don''t sign anything!!!!!!
11.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 12:24:48 PM
Author: Mara
just don''t sign anything!!!!!!
11.gif
I actually made that mistake once - never again! It took me all my sneaky charm and fancy footwork to wriggle out of it! Not easy and I too would never ever recommend signing ANYTHING to do with a diamond upgrade contract
16.gif

laila

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 8:51:25 AM
Author: teagreen
marta ana,
If you don''t mind me asking, do you know how much of your stone''s value your jeweler is willing to give you? I''m semi-looking into this right now and one place will give 75%-85% of their selling price for a similar stone, which isn''t too bad (but you have to get the new stone at their prices too, which are 12-15% above internet vendors). Just wanted to see if there''s anything better available. Thanks!
teagreen - don''t mind you asking at all! My dh and I got engaged when we were both poor grad students with no money - I have a cz as my center stone, so this "upgrade" would be my first real diamond e-ring stone from him. Are you thinking of starting from scratch with a smaller stone and then upgrading over time? I know some of the PS vendors offer 100% trade-in when you upgrade. If I''m not mistaken, Whiteflash and Good Old Gold both offer this. I think SuperbCert offers it as well on their SuperbCert branded stones (but you have to spend like 25% more than the first time I think). When this upgrade happens for me, I will probably try to buy from WF or GOG (or maybe SC) because of this (not to mention their beautiful stones and great customer service!)
1.gif

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
marta ana,
thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I do already have a stone that was purchased from a place that doesn''t allow upgrades, and none of the online vendors take trade-ins for stones not purchased from them, as far as I know...so I''m stuck trying to negotiate w/a B&M if I want to trade in!

laila

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 12:42:14 PM
Author: teagreen
marta ana,
thanks for replying. Unfortunately, I do already have a stone that was purchased from a place that doesn''t allow upgrades, and none of the online vendors take trade-ins for stones not purchased from them, as far as I know...so I''m stuck trying to negotiate w/a B&M if I want to trade in!
Oh shoot teagreen! Yucky situation to be in. Unfortunately I don''t know of any B&Ms with a better policy than what you mentioned before. If I come across something better I will post it for you, okay?

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
marta,
thanks! good luck with your hubby-convincing (something i need to work on myself as well)!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/18/2006 9:44:23 AM
Author: diamondfan
DF: Lorelei has seen pix, way back when I took a couple and was able to send them to her. Since then I have had two very expensive digital cameras broken by my kids and I am in the process of looking for a new one (I am a bit of photography nut and will not get a point and shoot since I take so many pictures and I am trying to figure out how to buy another expensive piece of equipment in less than a year...this time I will get the extended warranty!!!) Anyway, I think it is g/vs1...I forget the ratio of l to w, but it is not a long skinny e/c...I really like the proportions of it...I did not want one that is too square nor too long, so when I saw it I loved it...
Dfan
well... hurry up and get a new camera!!! is not everyday we get to see a $300k + (i''m guessing
20.gif
) ring on PS.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 1:25:43 AM
Author: diamondfan
and I ended up trading up to a 9.22 carat e/c with tapered baguettes. It looks a lot like Madrock''s new ring, actually.
ummm I too would like to know why there are no pictures of what is undoubtedly an amazing ring!!!
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF lost the pics and sent some to me ages ago and I no longer have them either and she is now without a camera. But it certainly is an amazing ring....sigh..
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anika, another suggest is I would become very familiar with your household''s finances. For us, I do the budget for the house so I know where the money is going, and what is left over every month. If there is no money left over, well you have learned something important and will have to sacrifice somewhere to save for that upgrade. If there is wiggle room, just have an honest conversation of, this is how much we have left over, this is really very important to me, we can save $ or $$ per month on it. Though it may not be first in his priority, hopefully you can argue so it is not last (and will never happen!)
I suppose it''s not the most romantic way, but for my husband and I it is really nice to be on the same page, and know well we saved up for this thing, after that we will save up for that thing, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results