Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 7c-8c

• 8c+...a whopper!!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay I know it's not Friday....so let's play nice..but this could be fun.
2.gif

How big is too big for your taste? I am sure we will see a huge span here...but it should be interesting!!!

Using round stones as a gauge...how big would be TOO BIG on someone's hand. Of course size of finger, setting style, age, etc comes into play, but take the average size finger, average age (in your opinion) and plunk a well-cut round stone on it.

What is your threshhold on when the diamond becomes TOO BIG--not necessarily for your hand, just in general?

jcard71

Rough_Rock
GREAT POLL!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never !

Believe it or not, very large rough of some gems (opal, tanzanite, beryl... for exampel) gets chopped off down to "wearable sizes" just because few wear huge rocks of any kind. Diamonds are not as often available in huge rough, but even what is available is almost never cut to obtain the largest one stone, but the largest market value (these two choices give hugely different outcomes). So toooo big, is defined by other factors than taste... unfortunately
sad.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Looking at my hand with a 7mm stone, I think I could easily carry off wearing double that size!!
11.gif
9.gif
3.gif
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I would also be curious to note that anyone actually has tried on several carat sizes.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We should do a poll about butts next.
2.gif
Or maybe even fake boobs!

Michelle

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have tried on 2c and 3c stones..yummy.
2.gif

Tried on a 5c oval...too big for me.

So my sweet spot is around 3c...too big would be pushing 3.5c-4c.

I consider my hand pretty average looking, longish fingers, size 6.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bump!!
1.gif
Figured the small poll should get a run for its money.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/3/2004 2:18:17 PM MichelleCarmen wrote:

We should do a poll about butts next.
2.gif
Or maybe even fake boobs!

Michelle----------------

Always too big for the former and never too big for the later!
naughty.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
9.gif
Kis, you read my mind!!
9.gif

F&I I have been trying on different sizes since my little baby fingers could grasp!! I even had my ears peirced before I could even remember, so I had little baby jewelry for ages...

I remember when I was about 6 or so, my poor mother was horrified when I came home covered in mud and smiles, and missing two tiny rubies from a little ring my father had bought for me on a business trip. Most of it was from Middle East and Asian, so it was all 22K gold, which would RIP right off me as I swung from the jungle gym...After that it all went into their safe until I was old enough to "appreciate" it...still waiting for it...
9.gif

I also remember when I was about 4-5 I told my mother very plaintly that I wanted HER jewelry when she died and NOT my grandmother's, as my mothers was much more "modern"...But I added, that I would still take my grandmother's, because eventually I could "grow into it". She was both horifed and amused! I used to try all her jewlery and my grandmother's big 18-22K gold rubies, emeralds, sapphires, even my father's!!! When she opened the house safe, I was always there to put on all her jewelry, everything that I could fit on a hand, finger, neck or ear!!

So when I went ring shopping I determined that 1.5 was perfect, and that 2ct was too big, and I STILL tried 3ct and some 4cts+, because that little girl in me is still there. My jewlery tastes are still the same, smaller diamonds versus the elegeant larger stones and gemstones, but I reserve the right to "grow into" the larger stones later!!!
3.gif
love.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, as if anyone cares because I know I picked my size to be a tacky, hoochie, show-off, look at me, in debt, not have my priorities straight, women......but knows that secretly everyone is just jealous of me.
wink2.gif
11.gif
9.gif

That out of the way, I tried on several sizes. I chose the size I ended up with for a number of reasons.

But, yep, one of them to be a little different. I saw lots of 2 carats. 3 carats seemed just different on my hand. That size was set apart from the rest. Also, I did not want to re-visit it in the future. 3 c was about the largest my hand could carry off.

I tried on a 4.5+ carat diamond ring (traded in at a jewelry store for a 10c ring)w/ a high profile. It was *huge* on my hands. I even felt the weight on my hands. The jeweler said that the 4.5+ looked nice on the previous owner's hand; but, the 10 carat stone she bought looked sensational.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, not all large stones are frozen spit. In fact, I tried on only one diamond that had a visable flaw. That stone was white white (the tag said D color).

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Again, to those responding as to what is too big, how many of those people have actually had experience with said "large" stones? I'm willing to bet a few arbitrarily had an opinion, not necessarily an informed one.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
but I reserve the right to 'grow into' the larger stones later!!!
3.gif
love.gif
----------------[/quote]

That's just it. At the end of the day, to each his own, but I do feel that older women can carry off larger stones better than younger women (not an always situation though). When we of engagement age, most brides received 1c or under. Diamonds were still on that expensive diamond bubble phase. A women received a whooper 4c family ring. It looked lovely on her hands; but, she was a tad embarrassed by the size. I'm sure she grew into that quickly!

I, too, grew up admiring jewelry. I have to say that I *always* have enjoyed jewelry with some "prescence."

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I've stayed out of these debates because I think stone size is completely personal. It depends on personality, lifestyle, location, peers, etc. Small can be beautiful, and large can too. There have been some spectacular large e-rings posted here periodically, and many beautiful smaller ones.

That said, I used to tease my husband that someday I wanted a "honkin big ring"
11.gif
. I've just loved diamonds and the beauty of a large solitare for a long time. When he gave me the opportunity to pick one out last summer, I tried on lots of sizes. I determined that 3c was too big on my hand, 2 was a little smaller than "honkin" on my hand, but 2.5 was great. Like F&I, I like it partly because it was a little different compared to the many 2cts that people upgrade to. I didn't care so much that it was bigger -- just different. I will not upgrade it again (that was made clear by hubby -- get it right was his mantra...the whole upgrade thing seems to baffle him
sick.gif
)

This size would have been too big for my lifestyle etc when I was younger. I think there is something fun about "growing into" the larger stones. Even with shrinkage, my ring still looks a little big sometimes, but I really don't care. We bought it for me, not for what others think. Some of people may secretly think it is shallow or vain, -- (maybe even hoochie, but I doubt it). Tough. I get lots of enjoyment out of it (and he does too -- he just plays cool about it.
10.gif
).

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You know, when I think about the age factor, I'm realizing that it's really not about being able to afford a larger ring, but having the confidence and dignity to pull it off. There are some younger women who possess a natural confidence, of course, but for many of us that only comes with age. So, a larger diamond often looks better on an older woman because she wears the diamond instead of the diamond wearing her.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And how many of you ladies would not wear a diamond after receiving it which was "too big"..
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Actually, CGN, I don't mean to be controversial, but I WOULD...If my guy got me a 3ct honker, AT MY AGE, and all, I would first be impressed...but second I would tell him take it back, get me something smaller, I am way too uncomfortable wearing it, and it's too flashy for my social group, as well as we could use that money for something else, like a house, new car, savings, investments, etc...

If you notice my "little gift for me" post, I bought MYSELF a large dinner ring which has sat in the box since early November until just this past week. It was too big and too flashy for me. I wear it now, because it almost became a gift to a random aunt in another country, so I wanted to keep it and wear it to really appreciate my purchase.

But in my opinion, "big" is contingent on so many things, that RIGHT NOW, and at my AGE and STAGE I couldn't and wouldn't. No way. But F&I, I applaud you for being the kind of woman who is strong enought to stand up and say you are...may my tastes become as good as yours!
love.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/5/2004 11:35:48 AM Hest88 wrote:

she wears the diamond instead of the diamond wearing her.----------------

I love this expression as it applied to clothes as well. This has become my niece's mantra when she shops for a formal gown. She once came home with a drop dead gorgeous gown. BUT, something closer to what I would wear. All I could say is "Your not wearing that dress. *That* dress is wearing you." And, it was.

I wonder why the conversation is so much more civil on the big diamond thread? Could big diamond lovers be nicer?
wink2.gif
11.gif
9.gif
? ....F&I running away before she gets slapped........

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not supposed to be at the keyboard. I am supposed to be in the shower because I have an appointment in 45 minutes. Not that I plan to leave the keyboard...but I have to be fairly brief ;-).

2.10 carats (or whatever size the diamond now in my pendant is) was too big in a ring for me. I had it ripped out of a very expensively-made custom ring. Now I am sure it would no longer be too big. In fact, I like the looks of a huge diamond shown every Sunday inside the front page of "The New York Times". It is a wide as the model's finger, but looks graceful. Maybe I can find a picture of it. It's enormous!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha F&I...pot stirrer.

CGN...you make an excellent point!! Sure the 5c was too damn big for my finger...but hey I'd still wear it if it was given to me. It'd be RUDE not to, don'tcha think?
11.gif
12.gif
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 3/5/2004 11:54:50 AM Colored Gemstone Nut wrote:

And how many of you ladies would not wear a diamond after receiving it which was 'too big'..
9.gif

----------------

Actually.....probably me.

But I wouldn't EVER hurt the feelings of the giver. I'd likely be truthful about how hard I am on my hands and with jewelry and suggest trading the large stone (providing it wasn't a family heirloom) for something that's more "Al-proof".....hehehehe......maybe a smaller stone and a nice set of earrings.

9.gif

heart prongs

Shiny_Rock
I tried a 2 carat during our engagement ring shopping days and I thought it looked ridiculous on my hand. (My ring rize is 6 3/4 but my fingers are longer than average.) That said, the setting probably had something to do w/ it as it had a very thin. maul store band. I have a good friend w/ a 2.5 ct though, and it looks great on her. The setting, however, is a much thicker band than mine is. I think a big rock requires a healthy setting to balance the weight of the diamond. I voted 3-4 carat. But I think the think the biggest rock my fingers and lifestyle could pull off would be about 1.5-1.75. I say that now...
Up_to_something.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps I am too honest, but I would gently admit it's too much for me...since I was a kid I got things I HATED, and if it was from my parents, I told them if I didn't like it. My family is brutally honest and we all have thick skins...(sometimes horns)
11.gif

But that said, the velvet suit my dad got me at 14 was immediately sent back for a bevy of cute articles of clothing I don't even remember...and the AWFUL velvet shirt my elderly grandmother chose for me herself for chirstmas this year is still hanging in my closet. my mom offered to return it, and I wouldn't let her.

So basically if it was an heirloom, I would NEVER refuse it, but if it was bought "just for me" by the man who should know me best, would have to learn (if he didn't already) that it was definately NOT me...Honesty is the best policy, but not when it comes to hurting a little old lady's feelings!!
nono.gif

Note; I have not worn the velvet shirt, but what the heck is with my family and velvet anyway?!
6.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 3/5/2004 11:54:50 AM Colored Gemstone Nut wrote:

And how many of you ladies would not wear a diamond after receiving it which was 'too big'..
9.gif

----------------

Well, I don't. Common sense and safety (not the jewels', mine) often say 'no go' so I hit the trail and jewelry stays home. It makes no sense to me to wear a piece when it's blatant monetary value would be tempting or offending to others. These are serious issues if one does not dwell all the time in a circle of 'income peers'. You may want people impressed or interested, but not knocked over - no matter who they are.

It feals much better to carry a "conversation" piece around knowing that few would be able to put a tag on it; E-ring-type diamonds are not exactly in this category, I am affraid.
11.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Nic, I agree with you -- I'd be gently honest about it if I knew the ring would be returnable. My husband has given me a lot of jewelery - big and small - over the years. Most of it I love, there is the random piece that I just never wear alot. He likes me to wear his gifts, so is disappointed if I don't naturally gravitate to it. We don't surprise each other on big things any more. Instead we involve the other one to make sure we get what they really want. (That's how I got to participate in picking my new ring out.
10.gif
) Then we use the little thoughtful things to be surprises.

And Ana -- I agree. I pick the jewelery I wear with thought to where and with whom I'll be. I have traveled a lot over the past 10 years, and it's not always approproiate or safe to wear lots of jewelery. Even my e-ring. Sometimes it stays at home, and I just wear my wedding band.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Ana, how very true! I'd never dare to wear my 'small' approx 0.5tcw 3-stone ring up to Malaysia just cause it's not as safe there as Spore. I dont want anything to happen to me (or DH) just because I wasn't bothered about my own personal safety. And 1 year back, I'd never have dared to buy the 0.71 regent because such a size is practically un-seen on girls of my age, lifestyle & social status!
2.gif

Everyone should stop being so ridiculous about the recent polls and be thankful that you even have a roof over your heads, least of all diamonds! There are still an immense number of starving, abused, dying people in other parts of the world that dont even have their basic needs met such as simple food to eat, a place to shelter, or some1 to love them!
nono.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------

Everyone should stop being so ridiculous about the recent polls and be thankful that you even have a roof over your heads, least of all diamonds! There are still an immense number of starving, abused, dying people in other parts of the world that dont even have their basic needs met such as simple food to eat, a place to shelter, or some1 to love them!
nono.gif
----------------

Amen.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BUMP to go along with the other 'too small' one....

Way back when this poll was done I had tried on a 5c oval that was too big for me and I felt didn't go with my hand. HOWEVER with a RB I may have to re-evaluate that 'too big' moniker!!! I am thinking anything in the 3c is not too big for me so I guess it'd be more around the 5c range.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too big for me would be 5-6 carats. I have very small hands and it would look way to big for me.

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
I bought a cheapie pave ring with a 2.5ct (equiv) CZ to wear as a RHR and to see if I liked the look. I learned that bling doesn''t suit me and 2.5cts is a bit big for my middle finger, let alone my ring finger.

Bling and "big" looks absolutely gorgeous on other women, but it does nothing for me and I feel uncomfortable in it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results