shape
carat
color
clarity

Honesty Poll - How many Peeked/Snooped?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mrs.SE

Rough_Rock
Ok I need a vow of honesty here. How many of you knew something was up about a ring/proposal etc? Or came across it accidentally? Or found something in email/phone? And couldn''t resist the urge? I saw on another thread where someone kept peeking at their ring they had accidentally found - I could understand that, so it piqued my curiosity - tell me your story of temptations or blatant snooping :)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
BF and I picked the ring out together some time ago and put it away untill our situation changed and the time was right (hopefully soon when someone gives me a job and we are able to move out). So I know where it is hidden and I am allowed to "play" with it when I want to "as long as it still looks new when I give it to you". Considering how long we''ve had the ring but I havn''t been able to wear it, getting to try it on once and a while keeps me sain and patient.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t get an enagement ring, but I NEVER peek at anything.. I love surprises wayyy too much for that :)

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2010 8:08:25 PM
Author: Maevie
I didn''t get an enagement ring, but I NEVER peek at anything.. I love surprises wayyy too much for that :)
I find surprises stressfull, knowing what to expect in advance makes me feel comfortable and happy.

Tigarlily1

Rough_Rock
The ring has been hidden in our bedroom in the safe which I have the key to for 3 months and I have NOT peaked. Not even once. I don''t know what the ring looks like and I don''t want to look because I want to be surprised. It hasn''t been too hard but it has been really tempting sometimes!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
My BF told me exactly which drawer he hid my aquamarine in. I''ll be honest.. I couldn''t resist. I even shamefully showed a couple of my PS friends on FB the pictures...

I''m so bad!!

Mobinvera

Rough_Rock
My BF and I purchased my ring together, but he has hid it until the official proposal. Before he took it, I wore it around the house for a while and took lots of pictures. He was ok with this because he knew how much I love it and how it would drive me crazy not to see it. I look at those pics all the time.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Nope. No peeking at all, but I did pick it out. I even signed for it when FedEx dropped it off, but just waited patiently for months until I was asked.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Not me personally, but my friend found pics of her ering on their computer. WHY her boyfriend didn''t make up a fake file name is beyond me...

But he never found out, so that was good. And luckily it was totally amazing and she loved it. It still had the "WOW" effect when he proposed
9.gif

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
not even gonna lie.. i totally knew when my df was about to do it. in all fairness, we HAD talked about it happening soon but i could tell that something was up that night when he was so nervous. bless him, but i can always tell when he''s keeping something from me. it was still an amazing night, though, mostly because i really don''t like surprises. i''m the kind of person who would rather be in the know, kwim?

babycush

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/22/2010 8:12:15 PM
Author: 4ever
I find surprises stressfull, knowing what to expect in advance makes me feel comfortable and happy.

I feel EXACTLY the same way!

I 100% snooped in the period between when we bought the rings and brought them to be set, just to see if he had done it secretly (he hadn''t).

dinamit

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mrs.SE,

I wonder if you are referring to my post? I accidentally came across my ring. I knew that it was somewhere in the house, and for the briefest of moments it did cross my mind to snoop, but I really enjoyed the buzz and the excitement of anticipation (even if it was killing me), so I would never dare!

The ring isn''t very well hidden; it''s with my other jewellery and trinkets, albeit with a piece I don''t wear very much, and which I happened to look at that day. Imagine my surprise! It was the last place I thought it would be - with my stuff! I thought he hid it somewhere out of reach or non obvious, but there it was....

So now I am trying to resist the urge to keep peeking, and am really amused by the fact that he thinks the ring is ''safe'' there and is happily leaving it there waiting to propose!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I designed my ring, but DH picked it up and I didn''t get to see the finished product. I was so curious that I just had to look for it and see how it turned out!

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
I''ll admit - i usually always know what i am getting not becuase i am a snoop, but becuase E is bad at hiding what he bought (or letting it slip. its actually quite endeering
30.gif
).
BUT, i do love figuring out WHERE gifts are hidden. its just fun for me - but i never open them :)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
We were pretty open and honest about all aspects of ring shopping. I was there when he put the deposit down and I had a solid suspicion when he picked the ring up.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did not snoop at all. I didn''t want to ruin the proposal. It was a really big deal to him that I be surprised.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
you should make this a polll...then people might be even more honest! ;-)

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
No snooping here...never had a ring to snoop for and I am not a snoopy person to begin with. However, if I chosen at the time to get a ring, we would of looked and searched together (as we did for our wedding rings) so it would not have been a huge surprise to see the ring either. And I don''t need a formal proposal with the ring - obviously since we got married without ever having one - so would of considered myself already engaged anyway and worn it as soon as we got it...ha. I am now having a new ring set custom made (and paying for it with my tax refund!) so I will definitely know what it looks like.

We live together though and all our stuff is intermingled, so, as with the other poster, I can see how it would be very easy to come across something even without looking for it. We don''t really hide anything from one another (no skeletons in our closets!) so don''t even consider it snooping if we come across something. I have a heck of a time hiding gifts from my husband (I have to bring them to work and hide them in/under my desk). I would not call him snoopy (mainly as he tells me he is looking through x, y and z or asks me first) but he LOVES to explore and look at things so would find ANYTHING I tried to hide at home.

FutureMrsMRS

Rough_Rock
My SO was traveling this weekend (after we picked the ring up on Thursday!!! He left at 7 am on Friday-torture!). He did let me wear it for about an hour on Thursday :D

On Friday, I looked EVERYWHERE for that ring!!!!!! Everywhere! I asked him if he took it with him & he said no. But he laughed at me for looking for it.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I picked out the diamond, and the setting was mine already. It was a ring that I loved, but it had an ugly illusion center. I instead picked out a 1.04 ct round to have put in. I was working at the jewelry store that he purchased the diamond from (I''ve since been laid off), and I know when it was being worked on and when it was done. I was a good girl and brought it home to him, without wearing it first. At first, he hid it in his sock drawer, until I told him what a terrible job of hiding it he did. Now, it''s no where to be found. I can''t wait to wear it though, it''s so beautiful!! It was purchased in late November, and work was done early December.... I have torn our house apart looking for it since he hid it, but I haven''t found it yet.

Mrs.SE

Rough_Rock
Wow what wonderful responses! Ok, I tried to fight as hard as I could. I knew a ring was being made, we chose the stone together. It wasn''t a secret...he told me to stay out of his email for the next few months. I have a lot of down time...I caved. It still didn''t take away from when he gave it to me in person, the day he got it. Lol - he tried to throw me off too much that it was obvious when it was happening. It still didn''t take away from the anticipation. "Blind-folded trial run, to make sure you don''t get sick in the truck, so don''t make a big fuss because this trial run could happen anytime". "The ring won''t be finished for another month" "The kids will be with us". I caught him on the phone w/ a certain person who was helping him w/ the arrangements 2 days before. The road he blindfolded me on going to my hometown is a distinct curvy road that I''ve been driving on for 20 years. I knew every curve and had to stop from saying things out loud, like look both ways, lol. I knew the only reason we had to go back to my hometown was for him to propose where we first met at the Fire Dept. 12 years ago when I was 17 & he was 22. He popped the question last night. I still would''ve caught on even if I hadn''t snooped and it really didn''t take away from seeing the ring in person for the first time. I''ll post the whole proposal somewhere, but just wanted to see how many people snoop & don''t. The anxiety was killing me. He still surprised me 2 days earlier than what I had thought out in my head. Thanks again for all the responses!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t even KNOW that he was ring shopping he was so good at concealing his actions so I never had the chance to snoop. He claims to have hidden it at one point in my bed side table. His theory was that if I wasn''t looking for something, I wouldn''t notice its presence. He also had it on the mantle at some point. Its final resting place before the proposal was in a box for a computer monitor. Nope, never would have looked there.

I certainly don''t blame anyone for snooping around. Had I known the ring was in the house, I may have been tempted.

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t, as FI gave me the ring the day after he got it from Blue Nile, about 30 seconds after I arrived at his house.

But if he hadn''t? I TOTALLY would have snooped
3.gif

LAG2010

Shiny_Rock
i didn''t find the ring, but found information about some of the the stones he was looking at on his BB.

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
I did a half-hearted snoop, but didn't find it. It did turn out to be where I thought, hidden in our closet. I kinda wanted to see it, but I kinda didn't, so I didn't really "try" to find it (believe me, I'm a super snoop usually lol).

The diamond we had was an heirloom from my family. We were keeping it in my jewelry box for "safety'. It was wrapped in a white paper, and in a small plastic bag. One day, I noticed the plastic bag was a lot bigger, so then I knew the ring was done.

ETA: Somehow, when he went to give the jewelry store the diamond, they threw away the smaller bag, and gave the paper back to him in the bigger bag.

ETA2: I was there when he put a deposit on the ring (setting) too
9.gif

A

Anonymous

My bf and I have been looking at settings and getting our diamond education because we knew we''d be buying online for at least the stone. We also have total transparency in our finances, live together, etc. So the approximate "when" of buying it wasn''t a big surprise. He did buy the stone about a week sooner than I had expected him to, but told me about it before the diamond even arrived. So I got to see the stone, and we''d already picked the setting out together the week before. He picked it up with me, but I stayed in the car and he hid the ring when we got home. I haven''t snooped and don''t plan to. I know I''ll get to see it in a few days and I''m really looking forward to seeing it for the first time when he proposes and slips it on my finger.
9.gif

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Not engaged yet, but I won''t search for the ring. Not that I''m a saint - I peeked at a Christmas gift from him once and then felt TERRIBLE because he was so excited to be giving it to me and kept mentioning how he couldn''t wait to see my face and I felt. Like. An. A$$. Lol. So, never again :)

However, my sister DID search all over their apt, high and low, until she found her ring. Looked at it multiple times, told me she found it etc. She never told him and acted surprised, and I''m going to go to my grave with the secret. Except for pricescope - that doesn''t count right?

Mrs.SE

Rough_Rock
Right PS doesn''t count! :)

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t look for 5 months, then I did. I wish that I had not, I wish that the first time that I had seen the ring had been when FI proposed, as it was twinkling and sparkling like mad under the lights in the ballroom.
28.gif

pinki

Shiny_Rock
I had logged into our computer and his gmail was still up. My eyes happened to glance at a name in the email in box that was very distinct, and I knew it was the woman who made the ring I wanted....So I read the email and it confirmed that he was having the ring I wanted made, and all the discussions they had on the center stone....so then I checked it every day for 4 weeks until the email said it was delivered that day!!!

So then I spent hours tearing apart the house looking for it to no avail. Turns out, he had stuck it in a speaker of a 1940''s Radio we have in the dining room!

I felt so naughty but I wanted to see my ring soooooooo bad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results