shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday gift for the hubs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
So ladies, I was wondering what you creative ladies were planning on getting your new husbands. I''m kinda drawing a blank and was hoping for inspiration. Thought this thread could help other people too.

My lame thoughts at the moment:
1. Skiing or running paraphernalia (e.g. running tights, ski goggles)
2. xBox game, my brother got him an xBox for a wedding present
3. Something creative and handmade??? I''m drawing a blank on this one...

~Lisa

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This year has been a hard year for me in terms of gift giving. He is a man of very few needs/wants and there's nothing left in his 'want' list after all the wedding gifts I got him this year. So far I have:

- Tickets to a musical (Fiddler on the Roof)
- A wool/cashmere scarf
- A remote control helicopter
- Made him a plate for his wallet, keys etc in pottery class

And then odds and ends that go into his stocking including some books, CDs (one of which is a vintage collectors edition), a game (scrabble card game that I secretly want
3.gif
), DVD set of one his favourite shows, english toffee etc

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I''m at a total loss. HELP!

he wants a new HTC phone but that will have to wait for my trip to the States next year.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
We saw a lot of sequoias and redwoods on our honeymoon and saw an awesome book about big and unusual trees in a gift shop. We didn't get it at the time, but I knew DH would love it because he's obsessed with big trees, so I got it for Xmas. That's pretty much it, actually ... we're not big gift people and didn't want to spend a lot. Though he did just buy a new video game and called it his Christmas present, even though it's a month early
20.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
I got DH a new driver and two wedges for his golf bag.

Also, DH wore some Jordan''s when we went out after the wedding/reception was over that matched the tux (Black and white), and he''s been talking about how he wants to get the baby some Jordan''s... so I actually found a pair of Baby Jordan''s that match the ones DH wore the night of the wedding, Exactly!!

I can wait to see his face when he opens up the Baby shoes!

adultjordanconcord.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. A new Zune HD
2. The Beatles remixed box set
3. Dress socks (this is what he asked for...he''s so weird)
4. Not sure what else.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2009 10:56:38 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk

Sweet!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
1. A new Zune HD
4. Not sure what else.
Nothing wrong with being practical. I''m really bad about not buying myself things that I need, and then just using them as gift ideas for other people when my birthday and Chritsmas come around.
3.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
So far I''ve gotten him jeans and a dressy shirt. And...I''m out of ideas. This year is hard, since we just got everything we want for the wedding. I have no clue what to hell him I want!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 11:07:01 AM
Author: meresal

1. A new Zune HD

4. Not sure what else.

Nothing wrong with being practical. I''m really bad about not buying myself things that I need, and then just using them as gift ideas for other people when my birthday and Chritsmas come around.
3.gif

You don''t understand, he has an entire drawer full of dress socks....

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 11:50:50 AM

Date: 12/2/2009 11:07:01 AM
Author: meresal

1. A new Zune HD

4. Not sure what else.

3.gif

You don''t understand, he has an entire drawer full of dress socks....
LOL. I don''t know what to tell you then...

Maybe you could start getting him festive ones that he can wear for each holiday? Maybe he''ll stop asking for them...
2.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so not creative. It's hard to know what to get DH because he has everything! Probably new shirts and a DVD or two. Last year I got him tickets to Blue Man Group, and he loved that!

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
Gifts:
1) New Callaway Driver
2) Light for the Grill (I bought him a Grill tool set from brookstone last year and he loved it, this is the matching light)

Stocking Stuffers
3) Mother of Pearl Cuff Links (to match a stud set he bought last year)
4) Gift Card to Fry''s
5) New Dan Brown book for him to read on his business trips

...I like to give him things that I know he''ll enjoy, but probably won''t go out of his way to buy for himself.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I''ve picked up a few gifts that he casually mentioned he liked, but nothing big at all. I think we''re going to try to sneak in a trip to the Caribbean in Jan. or Feb.--we usually do trips instead of gifts, which I like.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes I feel like I'm shopping for a 6 year old
3.gif

- DH has mentioned that he really wants new board games for us to play and he's tired of the ones we already have. So I ordered a Yankee version of Twister (which I think is pretty cool and I've never seen anything like that before), a Memory game, Backgammon, Scrabble, and a couple others I know he would like and we would have fun with.

- He specifically wanted an over-the-door basketball hoop for our apartment, which I told him I wouldn't get but now I just ordered it (something about that little boy smile he gets on his face convinced me to get it for him even though I just KNOW he will break something
20.gif
and of course it will be my fault for buying it
14.gif
)

- I ordered him 2 books he has mentioned that he wants to read. He'll probably be pretty surprised with those because I don't think he knows I even heard him say he wants them.

DH's birthday is December 26, and I think I'm buying a Flip camcorder for him. Either that or an iTouch, but he isn't sure whether or not he wants that or which version he wants, so I think I'll stick with the camcorder.

ETA: And of course, our usual holiday and birthday long handwritten cards. Those are the best part of any holiday or birthday and that's really what I look forward to
1.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 12:24:12 PM
Author: wannaBMrsH
Gifts:

1) New Callaway Driver

2) Light for the Grill (I bought him a Grill tool set from brookstone last year and he loved it, this is the matching light)

Stocking Stuffers

3) Mother of Pearl Cuff Links (to match a stud set he bought last year)

4) Gift Card to Fry''s

5) New Dan Brown book for him to read on his business trips

...I like to give him things that I know he''ll enjoy, but probably won''t go out of his way to buy for himself.

Ssve your money and wait until it''s in paperback...it sucked
7.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 12:41:22 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I''ve picked up a few gifts that he casually mentioned he liked, but nothing big at all. I think we''re going to try to sneak in a trip to the Caribbean in Jan. or Feb.--we usually do trips instead of gifts, which I like.

Same here! Nice dinners and vacations are our typical gifts to each other.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
DH LOOOOOOOOOOVES putting puzzles together so I''m on the lookout for a better table for him to keep in the study with a nice lamp to put his puzzles together on. Right now all he has is a crappy little folding table. Of course I''d have to get him an awesome puzzle to go with it :)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
How about a baby (due Dec. 30th)?
2.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2009 2:51:33 PM
Author: anchor31
How about a baby (due Dec. 30th)?
2.gif
Best. Gift. Ever.

1.gif

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Mer, so CUTE with the matching baby shoes!!
Kama, what a perfect built in date night too! So romantic!!
Elrohwen, we went to the sequoia forest last summer those tress are AWESOME! What a thoughtful gift!
HH, so funny with the dress socks :)
Sunny, I totally know what you mean! I just realized my heart rate monitor got pinched when we were in Africa, so I at least have that. Sucks that we have to replace it...
MrsH, very nice on the gifts he won''t buy for himself. I need to start thinking like you.
NEL, Trips sound WONDERFUL gift. I think we''ll do that next year, but I''m all out of vacation time
7.gif

Lilac, so funny about the 6 yr old feeling. Young at heart, right? Those Flips are NEAT! he''ll love it.
Smurfy, great idea for the puzzle table. So thoughtful,
Anchor, baby that''s way ambitious!

Great ideas ladies. I''m hoping for a brain wave and will keep checking back on this for inspiration.

~Lisa

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ll be giving each other the same gift we always exchange--handwritten letters.
I don''t think he''d even be able to find something to top that if he wanted to.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guitar hangers so he can display his pride and joys on the wall.
And some swag from thinkgeek.com (great site if your hubby is into anything dorky or nerdy at all!)

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I still can''t come up with anything!

this is really bad because DH is going to buy me a TomTom tonight for Christmas and in January I''ve got a new recliner chair coming in that he wants to pay for. I asked him what he wants but he doesn''t say anything!

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
Great thread! I''ve been searching the archives for ideas this week!

I''m waffling and need to decide ASAP!

I was originally thinking a Wii, but we''ve set a $300 budget for each other''s gifts and with all the extras it needs it would go over - plus I think after the newness wears off we really might not use it that much

Then I thought of getting him a ton of really cool spices and cooking stuff from Dean & Deluca and other gourmet places - we both love to cook and since we''re planning a long-distance move next year, consumables are a good idea - we said no more appliances or really anything that we don''t want so much taht we want to pay to move it back to the mainland (we are down in St Thomas and are moving back to the states late next year - I''m sure we''ll be paying through the nose to ship our wedding gifts and everything else as it is!)

Then... I was thinking that despite the above-mentioned ban on new appliances that he has always talked about getting a paninni press so I could make that the main thing and still do the Dean & Deluca spices.....

And THEN I see a thread about HD video cameras and think that a Flip video camera will be a cool gift - I know he mentioned it to me a few weeks ago after seeing a commercial or something but this also has the - will he use it?? factor.

It''s hard to buy for men!
33.gif

I told him a while back that I always love anything sparkly and I have a pretty good feeling that he''s bought me somthing in the jewelry realm
36.gif
so I really want to get him a good gift.

As of right now I''m thinking the Flip combined with some cooking/grilling goodies, I''m off to price them online now.

Any input will be appreciated!!

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 12:23:55 PM
Author: missrachelk

Then I thought of getting him a ton of really cool spices and cooking stuff from Dean & Deluca and other gourmet places - we both love to cook and since we''re planning a long-distance move next year, consumables are a good idea - we said no more appliances or really anything that we don''t want so much taht we want to pay to move it back to the mainland (we are down in St Thomas and are moving back to the states late next year - I''m sure we''ll be paying through the nose to ship our wedding gifts and everything else as it is!)
I wish you the best luck deciding on your gift for him! So many options!

Tiny threadjack- Why did you all move there? ST is one of DH and I''s absolute favorite spots and we talk about living there one day, maybe retirement. Do you like being there?

missrachelk

Shiny_Rock
-threadjack-
thanks Meresal - we came down here seperately - he will have been here 10 years in January - his sister originally moved down here first and after visiting he was here for good a few months later. DH is a bartender and there are lots of jobs to be had here at great places. I came here for work, my old boss grew up here and after his mother died he needed someone to manage his property and at the time I needed a change and decided to take the plunge! We met a few months after I moved and have been inseperable since. We both pretty much knew that this wouldn''t be our forever home, more of a very interesting chapter.

We really love it here, the people you meet are great and living in endless summer isn''t half bad
2.gif

BUT it is definitely NOT living in America. There are tons of issues and things you just have to get used to being on a little island - everything is shiipped in and can get really expensive (hello $7.99 1/2 gallon organic milk) and it''s easy to get ''rock fever'' not being able to get into your car and go on a long trip. You spend tons on plane tickets to visit family and friends and feel obligated to visit whenever you have time off which can leave you without having a real vacation. The culture takes some serious getting used to. Some locals are downright nasty and there is pretty blatant racism (mostly reverse) and hatred of white people.. Crime and corruption are pretty evident too, but those things are everywhere. For us, this isn''t the place to make our lives and raise a family at all - you would ahve to be very wealthy to make that work and I don''t want my kids growing up so isolated and in the above-mentioned culture. You are also in a very small community - maybe 50k people live here full time so you have a total small town living situation where everyone knows everyone (which can be both good and bad!) but for someone coming from say, NYC, and being used to anonimity it would be a bit of a shock!

Some of our best friends are a couple that moved here after their youngest graduated college and they are my ideal example of when to move here. He is a CPA and kept some clients in the states until he built up his business here. Other friends would never think of leaving, but most of these are solidly in the ''no kids ever'' camp so their priorities are different than DH and I. If you are into something like sailing or diving that adds a lot to your experience here. Just as a regular place, it gets boring just because of its size. People laugh but it does get old going to the beach all the time!

So anyway, it''s great but like anywhere, has its issues. The couples we''ve met who are retired and have a condo here but spend part of their time elsewhere always seem to have the best setup.

Ask me again when I''m in Atlanta next fall freezing and we''ll see what I say then!
3.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your reply. I always noticed that ALL of the tourist areas on ST are prodominately run/owned by white Americans (or at the least most of the employees are), give or take a few of the little souvenier shops. We have actually visited twice on cruise stops and did sailing trips around the island. On our most recent stop on our Honeymoon, one of the deck hands was a guy that went to our college back in Texas. It seems like a little piece of the US away from, well, the US. We never had time to venture more into the city but I imagined that there was probably a bit of a "divide" if you will.

The island also seemed quite small to me, to live there full time, once you are past your partying years. As opposed to say somewhere a little more inland like San Juan, where my sister and BIL lived for a little while, you could vacation to the smaller islands (Croix, Maarten, Thomas, etc), whereas, in ST you are already living on the smaller island, so where do you "get away" to...

When DH and I discuss it, he mentioned that he would love to have a condo there, and then buy a sail boat that we could travel around the Caribbean in, so that we could visit other places and not feel so "stuck" if you will. I love that you have friends there that seem to kind of do the same thing and to hear that it works for them.

Definitely something to consider and I REALLY appreciate your advice and honesty! Thank you!

-ThreadJack over
2.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Well, we''re not married yet but I want to play since I just figured out what I''m getting FI!

He''s getting a Logitech Squeezebox Boom. He''s been wanting one for ages, so I think he''ll be psyched since it means he can wake up to his favorite radio stations from all over the nation.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/2/2009 12:44:49 AM
Author: kama_s
This year has been a hard year for me in terms of gift giving. He is a man of very few needs/wants and there''s nothing left in his ''want'' list after all the wedding gifts I got him this year. So far I have:

- Tickets to a musical (Fiddler on the Roof)
- A wool/cashmere scarf
- A remote control helicopter
- Made him a plate for his wallet, keys etc in pottery class

And then odds and ends that go into his stocking including some books, CDs (one of which is a vintage collectors edition), a game (scrabble card game that I secretly want
3.gif
), DVD set of one his favourite shows, english toffee etc
Kama: OMG, what is up with the boys wanting remote control helicpoters, my DH wants one too. Did they all just decide that was the cool grown up boy gift this year?
20.gif

Other than the toy helicopter (which his dad ended up getting him, boo), I have gotten/will get him:
- Super Mario Bros for Wii
- A road ID tag for his shoe
- a Percy Harvin jersey
- Wii Resorts (from his brother and SIL)
- A Nike IPOD sport (for running)
- The "Spirit of the Marathon" DVD

I would welcome any other ideas along the lines of a nicer, higher $ gift.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results