shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey Fashionistas! Fur Dilemma...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I was trying on wedding dresses at a consignment shop today with a friend of mine and we found one that about bowled us both over. It was perfect: glamorous, unique, fit me like a glove too.

It''s an ivory silk trumpet cut strapless dress with a short train. But the thing that made it special was that around the bust line was a mink "collar" (do you call it a collar if it''s around the bust?). It comes with mink trimmed gloves and a mink headpiece that you can attach a veil to (although I''m thinking birdcage is the only thing that would go).

I felt like a MOVIE STAR! It totally shows off my curves and is completely 1940''s chic. As glamorous as I have ever felt did I feel in this dress.

The catch: how late in the season can you wear fur trim on something without looking foolish? Our wedding (part 1) is scheduled for March 21st.

But for part 2, I assume April is too late for fur? Or could I get away with it without the gloves? (as in, just a little trim).

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
as in real mink?
7.gif

Not sure about the fashion side, so I''m no help..hehe...but I would say wear whatever you feel like wearing, it''s your day!

I''m just not for fur, sorry
14.gif

M~

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
hum. is the wedding outdoors? and how is the weather in march where the wedding is to take place? i know where i am it''s pretty warm in march for fur, especially if it''s outdoors.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Mandarine: Errrr... yeah, I'm afraid so. The irony is that I'm basically a vegetarian. So I guess I irrationally figure I'm entitled to the odd fox or mink, given all the cows that have NOT died for me to eat!
28.gif

I know that's kooky and inconsistent! But I do love fur. I confess! I confess!

JCrow: No it won't be warm. Probably around 50-60 degrees? And we'll be indoors.

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
haha IG, I would never judge you or anyone for it...but you make a good argument! haha...

I really think you should wear whatever makes you feel fabulous!

M~

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
then yes. i''d do it. and i''d probably go for the gloves if you love them. but i''m all about the look!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 9:39:53 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Mandarine: Errrr... yeah, I''m afraid so. The irony is that I''m basically a vegetarian. So I guess I irrationally figure I''m entitled to the odd fox or mink, given all the cows that have NOT died for me to eat!
28.gif

I know that''s kooky and inconsistent! But I do love fur. I confess! I confess!

JCrow: No it won''t be warm. Probably around 50-60 degrees? And we''ll be indoors.

I understand your dilemma as I try to keep veg for the Mr. but I have a secret love of mink. If it''s farm mink I suppose it''s no different than farmed beef? But if you''re a strict veg I cant help you...Do you wear leather shoes? I''m trying...if you love it, you love it. It sounds amazing. Do you have a photo? Who makes it?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you love it, that is all that matters.

And if you''re looking for birdcage veils, I highly recommend Dorene at Unveiled Bridal Design. A little odd, but she made my custom veil very very quickly and it looks fantastic.

http://www.unveiledbridaldesigns.com/index.html

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The dress is by Paula Varsalona, but since it''s a consignment piece, I can''t seem to find a picture of it. It might be a few years old. (I guess that''s a testament to it being not "too" trendy? I''m all for classic!) I''ll have to bring my camera when I go back.

I''m less worried about the ethics of the fur, terrible of me as that is. Yes, I wear leather! And I''ve been known to eat the odd fish. Sometimes even a chicken, but only if it''s a mean chicken who deserves it. I have a friend who worked in a slaughterhouse, and it is so horrible, that I can''t imagine the farmed fur animals could be treated any worse than your average steak-cow. Soooo, I''m errr, cutting myself some slack on that one.

I am mostly concerned about the fashion etiquette. Oh, that is just so shallow, isn''t it! But I''m wondering whether there''s a rule about fur, like "no white shoes after labour day". That kind of rule.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Independent Gal,
There was a quote I once read that said:

I''m not a vegetarian because I love animals, I''m a vegetarian because I hate plants!

It suits you perfectly :)
Buy what you love! Who cares what the ''fashionistas'' think!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 9:20:55 PM
Author:Independent Gal
I was trying on wedding dresses at a consignment shop today with a friend of mine and we found one that about bowled us both over. It was perfect: glamorous, unique, fit me like a glove too.

It''s an ivory silk trumpet cut strapless dress with a short train. But the thing that made it special was that around the bust line was a mink ''collar'' (do you call it a collar if it''s around the bust?). It comes with mink trimmed gloves and a mink headpiece that you can attach a veil to (although I''m thinking birdcage is the only thing that would go).

I felt like a MOVIE STAR! It totally shows off my curves and is completely 1940''s chic. As glamorous as I have ever felt did I feel in this dress.

The catch: how late in the season can you wear fur trim on something without looking foolish? Our wedding (part 1) is scheduled for March 21st.

But for part 2, I assume April is too late for fur? Or could I get away with it without the gloves? (as in, just a little trim).
This IS the dress for you. You said you felt like a MOVIE STAR. That''s enough for me, fur or no fur. And no I don''t think there are any fast rules about when to wear it, as in Labor day.. You said the weather will be fine for it. So buy it. Please post pics, it sounds stunning. Gotta love those classic and elegant looks!!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look, I am not an anti fur person per se. I do not like the bludgeoning of seals, or trapping of wild animals, or using rare or extinct animals for coats...that I do not condone at all. But mink is a rodent. It is cuter and has nicer fur than a rat or mouse, but it is still a rodent nonetheless. I think March is pushing it for wearing fur, depending on the climate and weather at the time. If it is really cold you might be fine. Just be clear that some people are very against fur. To me, people who get upset about a ranch raised mink yet wear leather and eat meat really do not have a leg to stand on...cows do not die of old age conveniently in front of the shoe, belt or coat factory. But that is my opinion, and I certainly respect other's views, however, if you are going to sit there in your leather shoes and bag eating a steak and bitch me out...well, I am not going to be too pleased.

The dress sounds stunning, and you know the weather...March may still just be cool enough, and since it is accents and not a coat it should be fine. I think YOU sound over the moon about it, and that is the most important thing...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
where will you be in March, exactly? Some places it's winter in March...You know, come to think of it, I've seen a dress just like what you're describing on the Brides thread. It was a hair style thread and someone had a dress with mink trim across the strapless part. It was an ivory dress and very lovely. I think the mink trim was champagne colored?

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
She said it''ll be 50-60 degrees.. I think that''s perfect weather for fur :razz:

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to see pictures of this dress-I have never seen/heard of a wedding dress with fur.
30.gif
For me 50 degree weather is cold & fur would be fair game.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Enjoy the things that make you feel the best on your most important day. If it's really bothering you, accent wedding with flowers with a more wintery look, so it will look seasonal-less. I remember seeing a girl on a wedding forum once who had a long sleeve (3/4 sleeve actually) at her May wedding, and she used these fuzzy green leaves with white roses and icy blue flowers.

Worst case, have it removed and convert it to a convertible collar? That is also doable. I have a friend who is not into fur and she had he mother's old Givenchy suit with fur that she had it taken off, but made to be attached or detached not to ruin the design, but to appease herself.

I feel one should treat animals and people alike. I actually like some animals more than some people. And some people I know act like animals.

Would anyone complain if I made some idiots into shoes? Seems the only way some people might prove useful...
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm. Well, I personally wouldn''t do fur in March or April unless there was maybe snow on the ground or a chance of snow. However, if it really will be 50 degrees or so, there''s a shot it could work. I mean, women in LA wear fur and it NEVER gets that cold there, so.

RE: morality. Enh. I mean, there are so many non environmental things we all do every day, you have to pick your battles. It isn''t endangered or threatened, and it''s consignment, so someone already sponsored the fur people, you''re just making the animals death really mean more than it would have otherwise by "recyling"
12.gif
OK, TINY bit glib. Call me Matt Lauer...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Meant to mention this in last post....

Besides, we all support, clearly, MINING
31.gif
. Which I daresay is harder on humans, the environment, and in some ways animals than the fur industry.

Also, IG, women in Morocco wear fur, and it *def* doesn''t get below 50 here much if at all. SO go for it, it sounds like a beautiful dress.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never ever wear real fur. There are lots of fake fur nowadays which looks good.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would never wear fur from endangered species - ocelot, tiger etc and to be honest I think most fur coats look horrible.

However I do see mink in the way I see leather - I would like to hope they are kept humanely and not allowed to escape and play havoc with wildlife.

I do have some very old mink collars and cuffs that I wear now and then, although i probably wouldn''t buy new fur.

It is true that fake fur is amazing now - unless you are going to wear it a lot as it doesn''t wash or wear very well.

They have been trying to find a good fake fur for the hats that the queen''s guards wear that are made of bear skin - but it goes horrible in the rain so far. Whenever I go to events here in London where people wear their robes it''s quite fun trying to spot the real sable and ermine from the fakes (they get a choice).

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Come ON people. She didn't ask for your moral advice. Would you like ME to post some links about what happens in DIAMOND MINES???

Yes, some very unpleasant stuff happens on fur farms. There are a lot of very unpleasant industries. You can't be the morally perfect consumer on all of them.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 9:24:01 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
Come ON people. She didn't ask for your moral advice. Would you like ME to post some links about what happens in DIAMOND MINES???

Yes, some very unpleasant stuff happens on fur farms. There are a lot of very unpleasant industries. You can't be the morally perfect consumer on all of them.
exactly!
but i will give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that they didn't read what your dilemma was exactly and that they assumed that you were deciding whether or not it was morally right to wear fur.

anyway...indy, your excitement for this dress is undeniable. you should definitely do it!
curlygirl wore a beautiful dress with fur trim for her wedding https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/self-indulgent-post-more-wedding-pics.42996/

make it happen!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Sorry...the whole moral thing was probably due to me asking if it was real mink or whatever. I just wasn''t sure but I tried to keep that short and sweet because I realize that is not what she''s asking and I''ve been on the other end (asking one thing and the thread going completely the other way...ie: when I asked about breeding my dog and whether it would change his personality and ended up with a few pages on what a bad pet owner I was
40.gif
).

So, sorry if my initial comment is what made people start commenting on the moral side of it...I really didn''t intend for that.

As I said before, wear whatever makes you feel fabolous...it''s your day!!

M~

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No moralizing intended. I just believe that it''s easier to make an informed decision when you have all of the information.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
The dress in question is almost exactly the same as Curlygirl's (who knows, maybe it IS Curlygirl's!). The train's a bit longer though.

I know I probably SHOULD feel guilty... but somehow I don't. I confess! I confess! There's no law that says you have to be consistent, is there? Few of us are! If you're anti-fur but enjoy a tasty steak or a nice hunk of pork (never mind diamond mines, check out slaughterhouses!) or if your shoes are leather, that's up to you! As for me, I'm certainly inconsistent. I don't eat mammals and only buy free range eggs, but buying a second hand strip of fur doesn't bug me. I don't claim to be holy! Or consistent! Or even right! And I guess I do feel guilty ENOUGH to rationalize that I bet it was a horrible mean nasty mink anyway.
11.gif

(Covers head for oncoming barrage...)

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Here''s Curly''s dress for easy reference....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results