shape
carat
color
clarity

Helping my in-law surprise my cousin...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Just wanted to share this story with my fellow PScopers.

So my cousin, Mandy and her husband has been married for 8 years now. They have two beautiful twin daughters (age 22 months). Unlike us, my cousin never had the pleasures of shopping for a E-ring or owning one due to financial circumstances. She has a plain yellow gold wedding band.

She knows I have been shopping for an E-ring with my SO, Sam. When ever I talk to her or show her pictures of diamond E-rings, I can see a little bit of sadness in her.....
7.gif

I know last year for mother''s day, her husband wanted to get her a diamond ring, but somehow they never got around to it. And this year, her budget is extra tight because her husband''s very old car is no longer working, so they decided to get a truck (he''s in the remodeling business). She doesn''t work because she had to stay home to take care of the twins, so they live on one income. I searched for some diamonds around her budget ($3K) and found some wonderful ACA.

I called her with much excitement to tell her what I found. She was so excited on the phone! You should''ve heard her. (You know what women and diamonds equals to!
18.gif
9.gif
). But reality hit her and she said, " I don''t even have $300! There''s no way we can afford to spend $3K on a diamond." I was so sad afterwards.
15.gif

I mean, Mandy is so responsible, she never goes shopping and never even buys makeup! She saves every penny her husband brings home. She only spends on needs and never on desire. I think she deserves this stone so much!!

So after I hung up the phone with her, I called her husband. I told him the whole story of the diamond, Mandy''s reaction when I told her and her response. He was like, "Ya, she is always so responsible." At the end of the conversation, he was like, "of course we''re going to get it for her! I want to surprise her with it. Don''t tell anyone about this. Do you need my credit card info now so we can order it today?" I was so happy!!! Yay!!
36.gif
Mandy''s going to be so happy!!!

That was last week. We finished with the whole process today and the ring should be here tomorrow!!! I''m so excited!!

Now here''s the part I need help with. How should he present the ring to her?

Oh ya, I almost forgot to give the diamond nuts what they want. The specs:

A cut above H&A
0.786 carats
H color
SI2 clarity
60.4 depth
56 table
34.8 crown angle
40.8 pavilion angle
Thin girdle-faceted
Ideal polish
Ideal symmetry
Pointed culet
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.01-6.03x3.63

Let me know what you guys think. And any ideas with the presentation of the ring is greatly appreciated!! Thanks
35.gif

ky6

Shiny_Rock
What a wonderful surprise this will be for your cousin. Okay, here is my thought- It sounds to me like family is very important to Mandy. I bet she would appreciate the sentimental type presentation. Perhaps you could help her husband make a small photo album featuring pics of them and pics of the kids. Have written descriptions of memories dispersed throughout, almost like they are written from the perspective of the kids. Then have one of the last be a memory of when daddy took the girls on a treasure hunt or took them on a search for the perfect token for all of them to show their love to mommy (she will assume the "token" or "treasure" is the photo album). Then have the very last pic in the story be them holding the ring. Then when she looks up to question what it is, he can present it to her.

Okay, that just my idea. I am sure the ladies on here will have tons of suggestions to help your cousin''s husband out with his surprise.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is so exciting! She is going to love it :)

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Ky6,

That is such a wonderful idea!!
1.gif

I will definitely pitch that idea to Mandy''s husband. Thanks for the help.

Keep the ideas coming everyone! Would love to hear more or add on to Ky6''s idea. I''ll give him a couple options he can choose from.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
what a wonderful family, that is so sweet.

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Ky6,

I just talked to the husband and seems like it''ll be very difficult to get the photo album together, so I''ll be making a collage onto one of those push pin boards. It''ll also be very difficult to get pictures of the twins holding the ring because the mom is always with them. The husband works 6 days a week, so he never gets time alone with the girls.

I''m thinking we''ll just take a picture of the ring and place it onto the middle of the collage, surrounding it with their wedding photos, pictures of the twins when they were newborns, and the journey they''ve been going through for the past two years raising them. He''ll give her the collage as a gift and they''ll go over the pictures and when they get to the middle picture, he''ll give her the ring!

Sound good? I''m going to help him make the collage, since I know he has no time to do it. I can''t wait to hear her reaction.
5.gif

snuflz

Rough_Rock
That''s so sweet! I think that''s a great idea Milly! She''ll be so surprised!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Milly: that is a wonderful story and so very thoughtful!! Please make sure to update us on the reactions and of course pictures of the ring!
1.gif

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I love the collage idea!

Here''s another thought -- I bet they don''t get a lot of time to go out together. (I have two toddlers so I know how it is) Is there any way you or someone else can babysit the twins so they can go out together for a special evening? That way he can give her a romantic re-proposal - complete with the ring she didn''t get the first time?

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Milly,

Your cousin is going to be so excited!
36.gif
I''m so glad you''re going to be able to help her hubbie create such a wonderful memory for her.

Jellybean, that sounds like a great idea! I''m sure they''d love some time alone together!

I love the idea of some sort of photo montage of their relationship. My only concern w/ the collage would be, if it were me, my eye would go directly to the picture in the center...the one of the diamond ring!
31.gif
Maybe that would blow the surprise?

Do you think that you could put together the album--a small one that your cousin''s hubbie could bring w/ him on the evening out? Then he could page through it one page at a time & tell him how much each photo means to him...building the emotion & suspense for the final photo of the ring. (or he could skip that part & just give her the ring!)

What do you think?

ky6

Shiny_Rock
The photo montage is a great idea Milly. But I agree with Brightspot that the eye would naturally be drawn to the center. Perhaps if you did it on a French Memory Board you could put another photo over the ring photo. But leave enough of the bottom ring photo showing that she doesn''t know what it is, but she has to pull it out from under the one over it to see it. That way it would not spoiled the surprise if she looks in the center first.

ky6

Shiny_Rock
Also, here is a site that tells you how to make a French Memory Board. I have never done it, but it doesn't look too hard. But also you can find them around at various discount stores affordably priced. I think I got mine at Target for $9. I think the thing I like about Making it is that you can use fabric that will reflect your cousins personality or even here decorating style.

Anyhow, there are lots of ways you could decorate a plain push pin board (which you should be able to get pretty cheap at a crafts store)- if that is the sort of thing you had in mind.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Edited: oops, forgot the site

http://organizedchristmas.com/article83.html

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Great idea, ky6! That sounds perfect!
36.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh, I like the French memory board idea!
5.gif
That way I can hide the picture of the ring somewhere...

Thanks so much for everyone''s input! I''ll go with the french memory board and talk to the hubbie about the dinner thing. I can watch her twins (if the twins will let me, they''re so attached to Mandy). Oh, my the twins and my own 19 month old. It''ll be a crazy night if it happens!

I''ll definitely update you guys on her reaction and post some pictures of the ring. I can''t wait to see it. It comes in today!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
That sounds like the perfect plan! (except, perhaps, for the part about you watching the twins & your own 19mo child!
23.gif
LOL!) Could Sam help you babysit the twins?

Please post pics of the ring when it comes in...today!!!
36.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Bright,

Sam will definitely be helping me out, but the hard part is if they twins will let us babysit them. They''re very attached to their mother....and they''re a handful!
11.gif

I will try to take some pics of the ring tonight and post it. It is set in a regular platinum Tiffany 6 prong setting. But I can''t wait to see the stone!!!

Although, the stone is not big, she''ll always have the chance to upgrade!! And it was such a good deal!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
aww, just wanted to say that it''s so sweet of you to help your cousin''s hubby out and do something nice for her. it should be a wonderful surprise
36.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Its so great that you''re helping your cousin''s husband out with the ring plans. She''s going to love it and be in total shock I bet! What a great, thoughtful husband she has for making this happen for her.

Can''t wait to hear how the surprise goes
1.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

Thanks you guys.
5.gif
I love my cousin dearly and she deserves it so much, so I''m really glad I can even be part of this. I picked up the ring today and it looks gorgeous!! It''s only a 0.78 but it looks like one carat! Wow, it looks huge and it''s so white!!
10.gif

I''ve been trying to take pictures for the past 15 minutes and my darn camera is not focusing on it. It''s comes out really blurry and my camera is a 5 megapixel! Sorry guys, I know you''ve been wanting to take a look at the ring (who doesn''t right?), but I can''t seem to get any nice pics. Every single one is blurry blurry blurry!!!
29.gif

I don''t know how guys can keep the ring before they propose. I mean, I''ve only had the ring for 2 hours and it''s burning a hole on my desk already!! I feel like driving to their house right now and giving it to him so he can give it to her!!!! Aiya!! I guess our job is not the only hard one (waiting for it). This is a pretty hard job too, keeping the ring.

Anyway, I will continue to take pics and currently got Sam reading the user guide to see if we can focus it for upclose shots. Darn Canon Powershot S500!! Hopefully I''ll be albe to get some pics up so you guys can take a peek too. (I was dying to see the ring....hee
9.gif
)

Mandy''s hubby is going to try to steal some pics for me so I can get that picture montage together. He says he doesn''t know where the pictures are kept....

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, how exciting! I can''t wait to see the pix when you get them! (tell Sam to keep reading...!) I''ve tried a few times to take pictures of jewelry--it''s difficult! I think there are a few threads on PS with advice...

I''m glad the ring turned out so well. Mandy''s going to love it!
36.gif

That''s so cute that the ring is burning a hole in your pocket! When do you think Mandy''s hubbie will give it to her? Will you keep it until he does?

Hopefully the twins will let their mommy off the hook for a few hours...
9.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
I''m on the edge of my seat waiting to see the pictures!!!! good luck with everything!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Bright,

I know, isn''t it funny....that ring is burning a hole and fast too. The more I look at it, the more I want him to give it to her...

I''m going to research a little more on my camera when I get off work. I''ll try again to see if I can get some pics up.

I think he might come by and pick it up tonight. Maybe he''ll give it to her then.....cuz I know he''s dying to give it to her too. He told me to forget about the French memory board thing, he wanted me to just wrap it so he can give it to her. We''ll see what he says tonight when he comes by my house. It is up to him afterall......

700, that''s so sweet. PScopers are such good people. Always wanting the best for everyone else here....that''s why I like to spend my time here.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock

Wow, you need to work fast with your camera then!

9.gif
Don''t let him take that ring away w/o getting photos for your friends at PS!
36.gif
(I agree--PS-ers are amazing people!)

The few tips I''ve gleaned (and I''m by no means an expert) is that you need to use the macro lens, but hold the camera really still as the shutter is open for longer & the pics can easily be blurry. Also, don''t use the flash & try to get the picture with natural sunlight.

Gosh, I''m so excited for her! She''s gonna love it! If it burns as much of a hole in his pocket as it has yours, my bet is she''ll get it tonight! Don''t forget to tell us all about it!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
You guys,

I''m so sorry. He took the ring!! He called me when I was on my way home and he was already at my house waiting for 20 mins! So Sam gave him the ring instead of making him wait for me to get home and take pictures.
8.gif

But....good news, Mandy called me after dinner and said she loves loves loves the ring. She said she won''t be able to sleep tonight because she''s so happy! Hee
9.gif
I''m so happy.
36.gif
She also told me it was their 10th anniversary this year. I thought it has only been eight but she says they''ve been married since 1995. I''m not sure if tonight is the actual anniversary night though.
25.gif

Of course she had to mention to me that they have no money right now...so it''s not the best time to get a diamond ring! That girl can never stop being so responsible and just indulge and enjoy the moment for one second! It''s always on the back of her mind to be responsible, even if it means she gotta sacrafice her happiness. She always think about her family before herself. But she can''t stop starring at the ring, she says. So I know deep down inside she is exploding with excitement!

Thanks for listening to my story guys. You''re the best!!
35.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock

Milly that is so sweet!! I''m really glad she likes her ring and everything turned out perfectly! Giving something to someone as sweet, considerate and responsible as ur cousin just makes the gift all the more meaningful...

(how about u sneak over to her place to congratulate her and get us some hand shots in the process!!!

31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
aww, I am glad it went so well! She definitely deserves that ring; don''t let her forget it
36.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2005 1:32:59 AM
Author: msb700

Milly that is so sweet!! I''m really glad she likes her ring and everything turned out perfectly! Giving something to someone as sweet, considerate and responsible as ur cousin just makes the gift all the more meaningful...

(how about u sneak over to her place to congratulate her and get us some hand shots in the process!!!

31.gif

I agree with you 100% msb700! (down to sneaking over to congratulate her & getting some hand shots in the process!)

I''m so glad she was excited & can''t stop staring at the ring! She gives so much to everyone that it''s fantastic that her hubbie was able to give her such a wonderful gift! Congrats to them both & to you, Milly, for facilitating the process.
9.gif

Seriously, though, hand shots.
2.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Mandy''s planning to come over to my house this Saturday with the twins, so I''ll try to get some handshots then. I know it''s so much more exiciting to actually SEE the ring...hee
9.gif

On another subject...I''m currently working on another project....something for my future mother-in-law''s 50th birthday. My family members like me to facilitate these kinda things since I know the most about diamonds out of them all. They just go to the usual B&M store and buy whatever is there that is around their budget. It''s another ring too...I''m so happy to get to do this kinda stuff for the ones that I love.
1.gif

I''m currently comparing stones. Will be ordering next Monday. Do you guys think I should start another thread for this project? Hrm.....

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
How exciting--I can''t wait to see it!

Sure, start another thread about your FMIL''s present! We PS-ers love to live vicariously through others'' jewelery purchase.

How fun that you get to be a personal diamond shopper for your family!
9.gif
It''ll be good practice for your own e-ring!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results