shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Mark Morrell ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

purple

Rough_Rock
anyone have other views of this mark morrell ring from his website ???

mark morrell.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Other than it''s stunning?

For what it''s worth, Mark Morrell''s work is probably among the most precise with the best finish and polish that I have ever seen.

I have seen as good (rarely), but I have never seen better.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Yes I have photos of that specific ring, as it now belongs to one of my clients.

I tried to post the photos but couldn''t (as usual )

I''ll keep trying though.

Bill Rockdoc

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooo, I WANT IT
30.gif
30.gif

Roc Doc - you could always email the pics to me and i''d be happy to post them for you
9.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I are consiering having one of his solitaires done for my e-ring. I want some changes to the setting but I have never seen such perfection before.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
It is stunning.
30.gif
Are you thinking about having it made for a stone of yours?

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I like the 2005 bit
21.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~That is a stunning ring!! Are those diamonds on the side, or am I seeing things???
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
A HUGE thank you to Roc Doc for letting us see these pictures
36.gif
36.gif

(C)2005 Mark Morrell All Rights Reserved''

Finished Ring 5mm2005.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif

(C)2005 Mark Morrell All Rights Reserved'

Finished Ring 3mm2005.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif

(C)2005 Mark Morrell All Rights Reserved'

Finished Ring 4mm2005.jpg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! He does such wonderful work!
30.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow that ring is just stunning! Truely stunning! I love it! I really see what Rich was saying now with the finish and polish...you can see the diffrence between that and other photos...oh wow!!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Mark Morrell...
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
incredible.

I would loooooove to own a Leon and a MWM someday!!! (my life goals
3.gif
)

Thanks RockDoc!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2005 8:04:42 PM
Author: RockDoc

Yes I have photos of that specific ring, as it now belongs to one of my clients.

Bill Rockdoc

Can you give us any specs on the stone? It looks like a square H&A...

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking about having a MM ring done one of these days, but am curious... Since platinum develops a patina of scratches and rubs over time, will a spectacular finish and polish such as a MM ring be visible after a year or so? And, will another jeweler be able to bring back that original finish when repolishing the ring?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2005 11:24:51 AM
Author: lop
I''m thinking about having a MM ring done one of these days, but am curious... Since platinum develops a patina of scratches and rubs over time, will a spectacular finish and polish such as a MM ring be visible after a year or so? And, will another jeweler be able to bring back that original finish when repolishing the ring?

great questions lop, i''d be curious about the patina too..

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Repolishing an MM ring.

For those concerned about the longeivity of the polish you should realize that MM''s polishing jobs are very well polishied.
There are areas on an MM ring, that simply are not polished in many "regular" peoples products.

That isn''t to say that he is the ONLY person to polish to such a level of competency, but I am of the opinion that not many people can produce the level of finsih that he does.

So taking an original MM item to a local person for refinishing is probably not the most wise decision. I believe that readers should also be aware that there are areas of the rings he makes that will never have to be repolished. These include inner galleries, underneath stone setting areas etc.

Areas where the ring could get "banged" or marred, are areas where from time to time they should be refinsihed. To protect the level of workmanship of his unique and very carefully finished items, I''d suggest it go back to him. A poorly done polishing job could ruin the beauty of the item.

I equate it to having a non Rolex diamond bezel added to a Rolex watch. Even though the item may look similar it sort of defaces the original.

I know some of you may be groaning to think that shipping it back to MM would be costly, but if you do have Chubb insurance you can insure it for less as they do cover loss during shipment. So this way if you do have Chubb coverage, the cost for shipping it back can be at a far less amount than if you have insurance for shipping it without relying on their coverage, or if your current insurance policy doesn''t cover it for loss or damage in shipping.

Of course needless to say, the more carefully it is worn, you may not have to have it done that often. Once every two years if cared for is probably ok. But if you do see such "wear" then its time.

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Roc Doc
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"That isn't to say that he is the ONLY person to polish to such a level of competency, but I am of the opinion that not many people can produce the level of finsih that he does."

RD...I agree that Mark's images seem to always have this higher level of polish and finish than any of the other pieces we see on here, I always thought that it was possibly simply the photography.

But sounds like that's not the case. So now I am curious about how he achieves such a finished and shiny/polished look and why others would not have that same level of expertise? Is it tools or just time on the finishing/polish wheel or am I totally off and it's something else entirely? Very curious...you'd think that if there was a higher level TO achieve that more vendors who have that 'quality' interest would be more into it?

Oh and is that stone a Jubilee? It's stunning!!!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/19/2005 1:03:11 AM
Author: Mara
''That isn''t to say that he is the ONLY person to polish to such a level of competency, but I am of the opinion that not many people can produce the level of finsih that he does.''

RD...I agree that Mark''s images seem to always have this higher level of polish and finish than any of the other pieces we see on here, I always thought that it was possibly simply the photography.

But sounds like that''s not the case. So now I am curious about how he achieves such a finished and shiny/polished look and why others would not have that same level of expertise? Is it tools or just time on the finishing/polish wheel or am I totally off and it''s something else entirely? Very curious...you''d think that if there was a higher level TO achieve that more vendors who have that ''quality'' interest would be more into it?

Oh and is that stone a Jubilee? It''s stunning!!!!

The images are indicitive of the far higher level of his ability, his expertise, and the time he spends on making each item, truly incomparable to most.

It is not unusual for Mark to spend a full day on polishing one of his "simple" pieces, and maybe several days in finishing complex designs.

For the small areas, he does it with flat "cords" with the tripoli or polish on them totall by hand. He views the work under a microscope. All of his shanks are polished smooth at the edges to create the feeling of velvet on the hand that wears it.
For each stone that is set, he polishes the underside of the metal where the stone is to be set, and he does this with excruiciating attention to even the tinest of sections of his pieces.

As for the general areas of polish, the feel and texture is also beyond compare, in relation to the work that many do. He excels at the structural "engineering" of how an item is to be manufactured by him.

So your question about the level of polish.... Yes there is a difference. There are probably a lot of platinumsmiths that could produce equal quality items, but few want to spend the time and detail to the execution of the final finished product.

You get what you pay for...... GENERALLY..

Sometimes you get less than what you pay for.

But you usually NEVER Get more than what you don''t pay for.

Mark produces his creations from the heart...and because of that, he truly is an exceptional person. He has incomparable pride in what he does. He really appreciates the comments from those who get his pieces too.

I am supposed to be seeing some finished pieces from others who claim they make the finest quality items. It will be interesting to see if this is true.

I have seen enough of Mark Morrell''s work to know what to expect.

I don''t write this to impune anyone else''s ability, and if presented with pieces that deserve great comment I am certainly willing to do it.

Those who produce an exceptional product deserve the comment.

Hope this answers your questions.

Just last week I got an item he made that has some baguettes set next to a nice radiant cut. These baguettes are probably the finest ones I have ever seen. They actually rival the brilliance of the radiant cut center. Stunning would be an understatement.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Is it is a Jubillee ?

Nope.. It is actually a very incredibly cut H&A Cushion.

GOG sold the diamond, and it is the best cushion I''ve seen...

So Rhino gets the Rockdos kiss of approval and he deserves positive mentioning too.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2005 1:34:19 PM
Author: bling*diva*
~~That is a stunning ring!! Are those diamonds on the side, or am I seeing things???
30.gif

You''re seeing things Diva. The center stone and the level of polish is done so well - it doesn''t need side diamonds.

It is a masterpiece unto its own.

Rockdoc

chas

Rough_Rock
I can only say wonderful things about Mark Morrell. I actually have TWO Mark Morrell original pieces. He really is one of the best if not the best in his trade. Mark and I worked together on both of my rings. We spent many many hours working out every detail of my rings. During this time Mark and I have become very good friends and to this day we have remained good friends.

Rockdoc is correct: "The images are indicitive of the far higher level of his ability, his expertise, and the time he spends on making each item, truly incomparable to most.

It is not unusual for Mark to spend a full day on polishing one of his "simple" pieces, and maybe several days in finishing complex designs.

For the small areas, he does it with flat "cords" with the tripoli or polish on them totall by hand. He views the work under a microscope. All of his shanks are polished smooth at the edges to create the feeling of velvet on the hand that wears it.
For each stone that is set, he polishes the underside of the metal where the stone is to be set, and he does this with excruiciating attention to even the tinest of sections of his pieces.

As for the general areas of polish, the feel and texture is also beyond compare, in relation to the work that many do. He excels at the structural "engineering" of how an item is to be manufactured by him.

So your question about the level of polish.... Yes there is a difference. There are probably a lot of platinumsmiths that could produce equal quality items, but few want to spend the time and detail to the execution of the final finished product.

You get what you pay for...... GENERALLY..

Sometimes you get less than what you pay for.

But you usually NEVER Get more than what you don't pay for.

Mark produces his creations from the heart...and because of that, he truly is an exceptional person. He has incomparable pride in what he does. He really appreciates the comments from those who get his pieces too. "

Mark does produce his creations from the heart. There are no short cuts taken --- nothing is left to chance! When you wear one of Mark's masterpieces (and they are) it is so comfortable that you won't even know that you have it on. Mark is also and exceptional photographer. His pictures are exactly what you will receive ----only better!

I know that I made the right choice with Mark! I actually had a setting made by another vendor before I met Mark who does very nice work ---- but it was still not what I was looking for. I cancelled the project and searched till I found Mark. Now , there is no other.

Best To All,

Chas

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
chas,
have you posted pictures of your MM masterpieces??? I for one would LOVE to see them....
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info Rockdoc. I have drooled over every MM ring I have seen, and am thinking about having a setting done one of these days, so that was good to know.

Chas -- we would LOVE to see pics of your rings.....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for expounding on that RD...that does answer my Q''s..interesting. I adore MM rings...and if the wait isn''t so long, might consider him in the future for something fun!

That H&A cushion is AMAZING...kudos to GOG for supplying such a fabulous stone!

chas

Rough_Rock

Hi mrssalvo & lop,

Here are a couple of pics that Mark sent me of one of my rings. You can tell by the quality of the pics that he took them. We were really happy with the results and he asked me if he could feature it on his website. Here is a link http://www.mwmjewelry.com/recent-work.html

It is the 6th one done on the page. Something really cool was he designed in a euro shank to this ring. This is a really nice feature as the ring always stays in place. I have some others of the 2nd ring that he made for me somewhere here. I will post them as soon as I find them.

Best To All,
Chas

Pic03A.jpg

chas

Rough_Rock
Second Pic

Pic00004aa.jpg

chas

Rough_Rock
Found A pic of the other ring. This one is in Mark''s Rose Gold!

1ss.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results