shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with ERD CADs for my OEC!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Round 2 notes have been submitted. Hopefully this is the final stretch. :appl: :appl: :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you're getting much closer!! The wraps look much nicer and more defined now.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Round 3 is here! What do you all think? I don't have any notes, but an open to further changes if need be.

Also, what alloy to use? My wedding band is 18k yellow gold (eternity band), so I'm thinking unplated white gold, or maybe yellow gold????

erd_cads_v3_1.jpg

erd_cads_v3_2.jpg

erd_cads_v3_3.jpg

erd_cads_v3_4.jpg

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I love the overall shape and the gallery.

The overall thickness relative to the diamond looks thick to me, compared to the inspiration. In the inspiration, the diamond is much wider than the band. In the CAD, the diamond and the band are almost the same width.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks urseberry! The band still looks pretty thick to me, but ERD says it will be 1.8mm. I know that CADs look bulky, but I'm still worried about the thickness!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Still no concave curve. I really think it needs it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems too high now.

I would go back to the height , but would take the curves down and angle them more toward so the stone sits up higher than the stone to avoid the semi bezel look, but without making the stone sit up so high. That is, to me, too high in the basket.

Did he fatten up the shank? They seem to big. Maybe reduce the melee size in the three in the shank. I think it might be nice to slightly graduate them. Largest closest to the curve and down to smaller. I cant tell if it already does that or not, but it could prbabaly do it more id its doing it. That could help with the convex look gypsy is talking about.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gypsy! Just so I convey the correct message...Do you mean the concave curse in the first picture or the second.

photo_apr_28__10_29_10_pm.jpg

photo_apr_28__10_30_32_pm.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock
There must be a mistake. The shank melee is bigger than the pave in the ribbon.,,like huge! There's no way that is 1.8 mm shank. I'll post an old ERD cad I had with a 1.8 mm shank....it's with a 1.3 mrb.
image_1624.jpg

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1398738111|3662370 said:
Seems too high now.

I would go back to the height , but would take the curves down and angle them more toward so the stone sits up higher than the stone to avoid the semi bezel look, but without making the stone sit up so high. That is, to me, too high in the basket.

Did he fatten up the shank? They seem to big. Maybe reduce the melee size in the three in the shank. I think it might be nice to slightly graduate them. Largest closest to the curve and down to smaller. I cant tell if it already does that or not, but it could prbabaly do it more id its doing it. That could help with the convex look gypsy is talking about.

Hi Niel. Thanks for chiming in. I agree that the height is too much now that I look at it on my computer. He didn't say that he fattened up the shank, but I'm still worried its too thick. What would be a good thickness to give them?

Love the idea of graduate melee!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
First is what I meant but second would be nice too.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
redroze|1398738969|3662381 said:
There must be a mistake. The shank melee is bigger than the pave in the ribbon.,,like huge! There's no way that is 1.8 mm shank. I'll post an old ERD cad I had with a 1.8 mm shank....it's with a 1.3 mrb.
image_1624.jpg

hmmm...well now I'm curious. Your shank looks wwwaayyyy skinnier than mine. Urgh. Is yours 1.8mm in width and thickness?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1398740149|3662391 said:

Thanks Gypsy. I feel bad going back to them a third time, but I really want to get this right. Is 3 rounds of modifications okay?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OECsareforLovers|1398740414|3662396 said:
Gypsy|1398740149|3662391 said:

Thanks Gypsy. I feel bad going back to them a third time, but I really want to get this right. Is 3 rounds of modifications okay?

Yes. 5 rounds is okay. Trust me.

And BTW. I agree with Redroze. The top of that shank by the head is WAY wider than 1.8.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the ring needs more curvature; it looks to straight which contributes to the clunky bulky look. Curves soften it and makes it look more fluid. Don't feel bad about all the CAD revisions; it's better to get something you'll love rather than something you feel "meh" about because you feel bad or shy about changing the CAD. This is the reason for CADs. It is to make sure it has all the elements you want and like before they make the ring.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gypsy and Chrono for the encouragement!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Update: Chris from ERD is sending me the plastic resin based on the last round of CADs. He's feeling hesitant to go slimmer so wants me to see it as is. He did also provide a few details.

The shank tapers from 2.75 to 1.9mm (from the wrap to 3'o clock-ish)

The diamonds on the wrap are 1.3mm

The diamonds on the shank are: 2.3mm/2.0mm/1.7mm

Thank you all so much for sticking with me so far. I hope to be able to pull from your collective brilliance once I have the plastic mold in hand.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before he send it, have him add the concave curve. it is going to make a big difference the appearance, but not the width.

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1398820187|3663208 said:
Before he send it, have him add the concave curve. it is going to make a big difference the appearance, but not the width.

He had it made before I gave him feedback. :roll: He did say that I could make changes after I see the mold.

Edit: I will for sure ask him to include the taper and size down the melee to accommodate the taper

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How are you progressing with your ring OECsareforLovers?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1402142185|3688360 said:
How are you progressing with your ring OECsareforLovers?

Hi Anicom. Thanks for checking in on me.

The mold came and I really loved the lines. I found it really hard to photograph, but see below for a couple examples. The only thing I wanted changed was dropping the entire basket so the stone would sit lower. I gave the instructions that the stone should be set with the girdle in line with the wrap (much like how VC sets his halos). We also talked about the polisher thinking of the concave curves when he is polishing it up.

Once we sorted that all out the ring went into production. There was a hold up on getting the single cuts in the larger sizes, but as of now the ring is totally done, engraving and all, with the exception of setting the main stone. My SO will hand deliver the rock early next week and I'll have ERD ship it out to me. Soooooo, I should have it sometime mid/late next week!!!

erd_plasticmold_0.jpg

erd_plasticmold_3.jpg

erd_plasticmold_4.jpg

erd_plasticmold_5.jpg

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: Sorry, not sure why the pics are showing up sideways....

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be a gorgeous ring!!! I am looking forward to see your hand pics next week.
Where will ERD apply the engraving?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1402157014|3688432 said:
It will be a gorgeous ring!!! I am looking forward to see your hand pics next week.
Where will ERD apply the engraving?

Thank you! They are engraving the bar across the basket (not sure what its called) and the shank.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: I love engraving :love:
I think it would be the upper cup in the gallery.
Happy waiting!

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1402165099|3688512 said:
:love: I love engraving :love:
I think it would be the upper cup in the gallery.
Happy waiting!

Yes, the upper cup of the gallery, thats what its called.

I think ERD set my stone today. It's literally takes everything in my power not to email Chris every day at 9am out of sheer excitement over meeting my new beauty. :nono: :nono:

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting! Can't wait to see!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh. The last days and hours are the hardest!
Did Chris get back to you?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1402585629|3691582 said:
Ahh. The last days and hours are the hardest!
Did Chris get back to you?

Yesterday around 1 he said he was taking I to the setter in the afternoon. I haven't heard from him since. I don't want to stalk him but the waiting is killing me (I okayed the CADs 5 weeks ago today).....

:errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results